Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus ZX3 vs. VW Golf

Comments

• cefurodcefurod Member Posts: 72
    When i was looking for a cheap hatchback, i considered both cars. I wanted the Golf TDI for it's better gas/mileage. IMO the Golf has a more "grown up" interior while the Focus has a "younger" and sportier interior. I think the headlights on the Golf are one of the best. I chose the Focus because it was much cheaper. The power accessories weren't necessities to me. But for under $13,000 OTD, it was about $4K cheaper than the Golf. And in the long run, i feel maintenance for the Golf would cost more since it is a foreign car. And the interior of the Focus is solid and the seats are soft, making it seem like a more expensive car. The exterior speaks for itself.
  • abarrabarr Member Posts: 2
    There's a GTI 1.8T in the showroom of a local dealer. Haven't driven it yet, though. I'm still waiting on a 5-speed ZX3 to compare the two.
  • silyboysilyboy Member Posts: 90
    I have driven both and the the 1.8T is a lot more fun to drive. You can not beat the power and acceleration of the turbo. Butt what you will notice is the price difference! my local dealer had the GTI 1.8T with monsoon sound, auto, and cold weather package. It stickers at 21,070. NO ZX3 will ever reach anywhere near that price!
  • krazyrabbitkrazyrabbit Member Posts: 1
    I've also been comparing the ZX3 with the GLS 1.8. No offense to the Ford, but I'd have to say that the Golf has got the slight edge in quality, fit and finish - it's a very tight, well made car. Inside, the GLS has the feel of a luxury car twice it's price.

There's no doubt that the Focus is a great deal. I haven't driven one yet, (can't find one to test!), but I think that Ford's hit a homerun in styling, (love or hate it).

When it comes down to it, there are 10 main reasons I've decided to go with the Focus:

1. Weight difference. For an automatic (I've got a bum leg, so have to drive an auto), the GLS 1.8T (aprox. 2,994) is over 300 pd heavier than the ZX3,(aprox. 2,650). This just about makes the turbo's hp/torque advantage vanish.

2. VW's lame 2 year/24,000 mile warranty - get real.

3. Golf's are almost impossible to find here in the Detroit area, let alone purchase under MSRP.

4. VW salespeople have been downright rude to me, and they give the word "clueless" new meaning. It's bad when you know more, a *lot* more, about the product than the people supposedly selling it.

5. VW's crummy ordering system. It's just about impossible to get *exactly* the car you want. They want you to take the "package" cars that are sent over to them.

6. Premium gas. Yes, I know that some folks say you can run reg unleaded, these engines are designed to run on premium. Run reg and you risk problems, poor performance, and reduced milage.

7. Insurance - I was quoted a much higher rate for the VW turbo than for the reg 4 banger in the Ford.

8. Possible long waits for parts/repairs on VW, although it seems like Focus owners are experiencing similar problems.

9. $400 Ford college graduate incentive.

10. Price, price, price! Like silyboy stated, a GLS 1.8T, with automatic, CD player, and destination is going to run way over $20,000. A totally loaded ZX3 tops out at under $15,600.

I really like both of these cars, they both have advantages and drawbacks. If I had expendible income, I might go with the Golf, but being a graduate student on a tight budget,I just can't justify spending the extra $$$.
  • silyboysilyboy Member Posts: 90
    i have to agree with krazyrabbit on everything he has said! yes the VW has better fit and finish and materials on the inside, but all those other factors add up to a huge economical difference! The premium fuel, the 400-500 more every 6 months in insurance, lack of a college grad rebate, and a vehicle that almost always sells at MSRP or just under makes a difference to people like krazyrabbit and i!
  • mylittlepudgemylittlepudge Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at either the ZX3 or the Beetle TDI. The reason I like the TDI is the awesome gas mileage (45-50 mpg). Also, if I lease it, the residual rate for 3 years is approx 65%, compared to 49-50% for the Focus. But the Focus can be bought for around the same amount per month. I'm stressed out here. Any help on which to get?
  • danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    mylittlepudge: Are you saying that you can get a NB TDI for the same price as a ZX3 and you still can't make that decision??? Have you actually driven both cars so you can see for yourself what you like better? To me there is no comparison, but each to his own. On the other hand, if you have no TDI experience, you should realize there are some expenses that partially offset the gas savings. Service is more expensive (after the first 2 years during which time it's free) because of more expensive oil, oil filters, fuel filters, and especially timing belts. And fuel quality and price can vary in the US, especially in the NorthEast during winter. (See Fred's TDI forum for more than you will ever want to know about the TDI.)

krazyrabbit: I agree with much of what you say except points #1 & 2, but you say you haven't even driven the Focus yet! How can you like a car which you haven't even driven? You are comparing two cars that are worlds apart (IMO) in terms of ride and refinement (and price.)
    Cheap cars are almost always the better deal, because any car will get you around.

If you drive both cars together you will see that your statement #1 is rediculous. The VW despite it's weight is way faster. (And the weight gives it a better ride and feel.) The 1.8T is the engine from the VW Passat, and even in the Passat it's going to be faster than the Focus (and smoother and quieter etc. etc.)
    As far as #2 goes, VW's also come with a 10 year, 100,000 mi powertrain warranty, and include maintenance for the first 2 years. A 2/24 BTB combined w/ a 10 yr powertrain warranty is NOT "lame"! Get real yourself. How would you like to give someone you don't know a guarantee for 10 years on something as complicated as a turbocharged 5 valve/cylinder engine. That is an impressive warranty.

I don't own either VW or Ford, but I've test driven all of them several times recently. The Focus is a nice inexpensive car, and the VW is a nicer more expensive car. And the 1.8T and Lux Pkg etc adds a lot to the price. If you want a really nice econobox, you might like the Mazda Protege ES (w/ 1.8). They've got a $1000 rebate right now (Edmunds buy of the month.)
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    The ZX3 tied with Civic SiR for Sport Coupe of the year in the 2000 Cars of the Year granted by the Automobile Journalist Assn of Canada. Both ZX3 and SiR beat out VW Beetle 1.8 and BMW 323 Ci.

The Focus went on to take first place honors in two other catagories. The ZXT, Family Sedan under $25,000 and the LX the Economy Class.

Now let me see, how many awards does that make in 2 years? Is it 23 or 21? What ever, can Golf come any where near that?

I've driven a German Golf, owned a number of VW Rabbits, a Beetle Convertible, and a VW Baja Bug. Enjoyed all of them except for the Rabbit rust problems and diesel blow by problems. Now, when it comes to enjoying the handling and comfort, none meet the Ford Focus ZX3.

Focus ZX3 Rules!!!!!

proud daddy of a ZX3
  • qwordqword Member Posts: 20
    Pcleveland-
    True, but there's got to be some reason why the VW Golf has out sold everything in it's class for nearly 5 long years.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    How do the golf and Focus compare in price across the pond? Also, what about the Opel Astra? I hear it's #2 in Euro sales.
  • zxthreezxthree Member Posts: 6
    The Golf sells very well in Europe, where there are trade barriers limiting Japanese cars and where blatant xenophobia and nationalism are common factors. The most open, unrestricted, and competitive auto market in the world is our market here in the US, in which the Golf gets creamed by cars like the Civic. The only way VW can boost sales is through slick styling, because their engineering is second-rate. Chrysler pulled the same stunt with their "cab forward" design. Yes, cars like the Intrepid and the New Beetle look cool, but Honda builds a better engine, and a better suspension, and a better shifter, and on and on...and that's the stuff that really counts.
  • focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    honda cars have the most rubbery shifters. I hate the may they feel, I think I am gonna break it everytime I shift. If you are gonna buy a hatchback, get a Focus, its the best value for the money
  • orlockorlock Member Posts: 25
    The Focus speedometer goes up to 140 mph. The Golf goes faster? How much faster? Are we talking about chasing down a Mustang or Camero?

I can hit highway speed in less than a mile in my ZX3 and have no trouble with the steep grades of Southern California.

Honda can afford to make better engines, because they make far fewer of them. Honda might make 300,000 engines a year where Ford maybe makes two million with maybe triple the staff than Honda. Hondas usually cost more than Fords (although the Echo is a couple grand cheaper than a Focus).
  • judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    So what if the speedometer goes up to 140. The ZX3 couldn't do 140 if you drove it off a cliff. Edmunds lists the ZX3's 0-60 time as 8.8 seconds, the time 0-60 for a NB with the 1.8T is 7.1, and the Golf with the same engine will weigh less and be more aerodynamic (I haven't seen test times for the north american 1.8T golf). Hows that for faster? I think the focus 130 hp and 130 lb/ft would be lucky to get that thing up to 115 or maybe 120. Not to mention the Focus' torque peak is around 4200 rpm, whereas the Golf's is 1750. Highway speed in less than a mile? Even anemic 4 cylinder econobox's will hit 70 or 80 in a QUARTER mile.
  • kdominczakkdominczak Member Posts: 174
    VW Golf is a very good hatchback car.
    Focus zx3 is a very good hatchback car as well.
    But 2.0 ,115 hp Golf weights 300 lbs. more than 130 hp zx3,Golf with that engine is just lazy and overweighted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (1.8turbo is far superior,though),that's why zx3 is faster on the start.Speeds over 120 mph are not meant for either car.
    Both cars are very comparable,on some things golf is better on some zx3 is one,
    ONLY THE PRICE IS NOT COMPARABLE
    I'll take zx3 and $5000,that's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    For $20k you can buy something more than a very nice compact car these days.
    GTI's are meant for speeds over 120, and they are quite capable of reaching them as well. As for getting something more, list off the performance cars for less than 20K that can keep up with a 1.8T GTI. There aren't many, if any at all. The problem is your typical American thinking. Americans associate hatchbacks with cheap cars. Mostly because almost all of the hatches here are cheap cars. Most other areas, being a hatchback isnt a negative. GTI/Golf's have more interior room than Jettas, and they cost less. So why would people pay more for a Jetta? Sure, you can get something more. Like a Chevy Malibu. Or a really stripped down Accord. Maybe. Those cars are a lot of fun. You might be able to compare the ZX3 to the Golf. In some ways. But it's really no match for the GTI, in pretty much any category. The only thing that has impressed with me with ZX3 is that it has pretty darn good handling. The engies not impressive. The fit and finish and interior design are nothing spectacular.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    FYI, our review of the Focus lists the Chevy Cavalier, Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Mirage, and Saturn S-Series as competing models. I really think the Golf is another animal altogether.

carlady/host
    Golf is a different breed than civic,cavalier,mirage,s-series saturn and many other affordable cars.But golf is not affordable!!!
    When you are comparing cars first you have to compare what are you getting in a car for how much.That will tell you how good of a value your car is. Unless you don't have to worry about money,than it is a different ball game.
    Most of us are not millionaires and are carefully spending hard earned dollars.
    SO PLEASE DON'T SAY THAT GOLF OR GTI ARE A DIFFERENT BREED ,SURE THEY ARE AND ONLY YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT!!!!!IS IT WORTH IT ?YOU GOT TO ANSWER YOUR SELF.FOCUS ZX3 IS $4000 CHEAPER THAN GOLF AND GOOD $5000 TO $8000 CHEAPER THAN GTI!!!!
    IF YOU LIKE GERMAN CARS ,YOU SHOULD KNOW WHY GERMANS ARE WHERE THEY ARE ,THEY ARE BIGGEST PROTECTIONISTS ,BUYING WHAT GERMAN FIRST NOT EVEN CONSIDERING ANYTHING ELSE.

just another two cents of mine.
    First off, no one likes people that use caps. All that says to anyone is that you're ranting and raving and not making any sense. Second, GTI's are NOT 5-8K more expensive than a ZX3. The GTI GLS starts at 17365. The ZX3 starts at 12055, but if you add on options to get it CLOSE to the GTI in equipment it gets up to 14445 in a hurry, and its still missing out on a power sunroof, which is usually about a 1000 dollar option, which is standard on the GTI, and not available (If im not mistaken) on the ZX3. So now youre up to 15445. Thats a difference of less than 2K. Not a whole lot, if you ask me. I'm sure theres other equipment thats standard on the GTI and not available on the ZX3, but I'm not going to waste my time looking up information when you obviously havent.
  • tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    of course, it depends. To me, yes, even 2K is a lot. I paid under 12,000 for my ZX3 with air and ABS. Those other standard options you have would be great, but fact is, the car just costs a lot more, and I for one couldn't afford it. Caps or no, he has a point.
    I'm glad that you are calm and are not using CAPS.
    It is just a discussion and when someone can't see a point you've got to help and use caps to see it better.
    I know GTI well because my brother got one, it's a 2000 GTI GLX V6 (i hope you like those caps)
    I love that car ,it's powerful ,quiet,very well finished car,there is a lot more good to say about it... as you know.
    But it cost $10k more than tickbitty's ZX3!
    OK ,it's a better car so it should be for that much more $$$!
    From what i know it is very hard to buy GOLF/GTI at invoice price,ussualy you have to pay list price or more ,while ZX3 can be purchased at invoice price or bellow and that's where the $3K difference is.
    So there is a standard equipment on ZX-3 that is not on GOLF/GTI; battery saver,CD player,one year longer bumper to bumper warranty,more room.
    ZX-3 is a better overall value than GOLF/GTI,what does not mean ZX3 is a better car than GOLF/GTI!
    I don't have to prove my point, my point is there, either you finally get it or not.
    good luck ,though.
  • nismoskylinenismoskyline Member Posts: 6
    "...when someone can't see a point you've got to help and use caps to see it better."

What a ridiculous comment. Ditto with Judas about the use of CAPS.

As for the cars, I think in the short term, in either case you get what you pay for. In the long run, the Golf is probably the better deal (doesn't resale value already reflect this).
    Battery saver? That's worth about nothing. Cd players worth 1 or 2 hundred. 1 year longer bumper to bumper? Yeah, but the VW has a 7 year longer powertrain, which do you think is worth more? More room? Did you actually look up the specs? I kinda doubt it. The Echo is a better value than the Focus, but I wouldnt buy one of those either. What dealer lets you buy the car for less than invoice? Around here GTI's are as easy to get for around invoice as anything else.
    Where can you buy GTI for invoice price?
    More room,you can look up the specs and you can check it, Focus is roomier.
    The parts cost less for focus than for GTI.
    You can select what you want on focus,and I heard that you don't have any choice with GTI,just buy it the way it stands on the lot.
    I agree that the warranty is a close call unless
    you live in a very humid climate, than VW's 10 years corrosion warranty is a great thing to have and that is making a VW's warranty a better deal in those locations (Florida,South-East...)
    Also I think that Echo is just in the different class than Focus or Golf/GTI.
    If you look at the Focus as a package it is a great value, as good or better than Golf/GTI.
    Again, I like the Golf/GTI a lot but i think that Focus is very much comparable; even,better or worse in all areas.
    LOL. The Focus is even, better, or worse in all areas. Every car is even, better, or worse in all areas when compared to any car. Those are the only three possibilities when you're comparing anything to anything. Yeah, it's very much comparable, until you start talking about performance. Or fit and finish. Or luxury. Then it falls way short. Those are about the top three reasons people buy cars.
    Finish quality on Golf/GTI is a little better than on focus, but focus is a little roomier than Golf/GTI.
    Let's don't talk about luxury with our knees touching our chins.
    And I will say that one more and hopefully last time, Focus is less expensive than Golf/GTI so it's nothing unusual that Golf/GTI should be a better car.
    Better car does not mean a better value, to me and my expectations focus(zx3) is a better value than Golf/GTI. So, let's understand each others opinions and personal preferences, and lets not compare (better,worse) anymore. What is better for me does not have to be better for you.
    We're only damaging overall good press for those two fine cars. There is a lot more good than bad to say about those vehicles. So let's enjoy the fine sides of Golf/Gti and Focus, rather than look for a few weak sides of them.
  • norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    Hey Guys!

This post was started by me and it was to compare the Golf GL with the zx-3. Both are 2 doors with crank your own windows and when you option up a zx-3 with side airbags, ABS, power door locks the price is not outrageously different. (Perhaps the base GL is 1500 more---I have forgotten the exact difference).

In no way was this post to compare higher luxurious or sporty Golfs. I bought a zx-3 for your information after finding that no dealer in my area carries the very affordable Golf GL.

I am pleased that my post generates passion however.

ZX-3 Rules,

ND
    Let's not compare? Um, do you know what the name of this topic is? Knees touching our chins my keister, I'm a shade under 6'6" and I fit fine in the Golf. Let's not be making outrageous statements that are completely incorrect.
  • focusfanaticfocusfanatic Member Posts: 42
    Why is everyone comparing the GTI to the ZX3? The GTI is out of that price range. The base golf is a much better comparison. But still, the new issue of Automobile magazine does a comparo of GTI vs. ZX3, along with a neon r/t and a civic si. It says they're both winners. In my opinion though, the golf has gone "soft" over the years-literally. They've tried to make the car more luxurious, and in that pursuit for a cushy-ride and quiet interior, they've added hundreds of extra pounds, softened the suspension, (even on the GTI- although I think a sport suspension will be available soon) and successfully given the car a lethargic attitude. You want luxury? Get a Golf. But if you value driving pleasure, get a zx3 and use the extra 5 grand or so to add a few mods, effectively matching the pretensious GTI's performance and/or "luxury".
  • carbon3carbon3 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking for a new hatchback and up until recently, I had only considered the Golf or Civic Hatchback. I've seen a few ZX3's around and in car mags. As "focusfanatic" mentioned, with the money you may save on the lower priced ZX3 you may be able to afford to modify it to put it in a higher performance/luxury class. I am aware of the very supportive aftermarket that VW & Honda have. Do any of you know of sources or companies that produce performance/suspension/body-styling products for the ZX3? The car is so new that I don't know if there's much available. (I think I saw a highly modified ZX3 which was lowered, had a wide body kit and a turbo in Sport Compact Car magazine several months ago but I think my girlfriend "recycled" that issue).
    I really think it is a good car "as is" but I'd like the option of changing a few things down the road. (Based purely on aesthetics, the car looks like it should be 1.5-2" lower with slightly larger diameter wheels.)
    Any leads you may provide may help me in my car-buying decision. Thanks
  • jmorrissjmorriss Member Posts: 10
    Both the Focus and the Golf/GTI are great cars, but I think(!) that I sense a little religion going on here.

I bought the Golf because I just plain like it better. Yup, it's more expensive. Way more expensive. But that's because it comes standard with ABS, side airbags, 4-wheel disc brakes, those $200 remote entry keys, a gigantic discount on my insurance(it costs me less for full coverage on my 2000 Golf than on the 1990 Golf I just sold!)

I wish that I liked the Civic Si or the Focus ZX3, but they just didn't do it for me. And the Honda salesman didn't like it much when I spun the engine up to 8 grand and got the Si going 75 in third.(that's why it was built, no?)

Finally, around Boston, if you hunt for the internet discount shops, you can get a great deal without much haggling. (hunt a lot, because different online dealers will quote you different prices. My fiancee bought a VW from a carpoint dealer for $300 under sticker, while I bought one for $50 over invoice from a different dealer who also works with them.)

I got a guy to order the exact car I wanted from the port(in Boston) and he sold it to me for $50 over invoice.

That's a 2000 Golf GLS, with sunroof, Monsoon system, 5-speed, ABS, and so on... for $17,400 out the door.($18445 sticker, for reference.)

The turbos are a little more, because of current limited supply, but you can find them for $300-$500 over invoice if you're not picky about color.

Yup, I got religion, and it's called fahrvergnugen!

Pardon the ranting.
    yes, there are already several body kits, and a bunch of other aftermarket stuff already available for the ZX3. Check out the ZX3 regular and aftermarket discussions - there are lots of guys in there who have already performed some of these mods.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    My mom has been buying Volkswagens ever since her first bug back in the 60's, and my dad has been getting Fords for about ten years now (he loves the taurus), so it was only a matter of time before my car would explode (GTI), and I would need a new one. My dad, also, is exactly 6'6, and could not fit in any of the VW's smaller products w/o putting his seat back. To some, this is not a comfortable position, especially when your family has back problems. The Focus, on the other hand, is huge. Gues which I (6'4) bought?
  • greycapgreycap Member Posts: 19
    Well, I think that applied to the Golf, this description is an exaggeration; however, there is no doubt that the Focus is superior in this respect.

This issue is not of interest only to tall people; I am only 5'8", but what there is of me is configured with relatively short legs and a long body. I can't fit into a 3-series BMW without tilting the seat back! A sunroof in this car forces me to tilt my head sideways around the coaming. When visiting Germany, I am struck by the size of it's people; how they fit into their cars, I don't know.

In my case, a more upright seating position is much easier on my back. The Focus has more headroom than many full-size cars and was definitely a consideration when I bought one.
  • alfaromeoalfaromeo Member Posts: 210
    Could anyone tell me if the 'bucket' seat option is worthwile? (on the focus that is!)
    thanks
  • zx3boizx3boi Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone!
    I am about to get a ZX3 in a few more days. I have always been a huge fan of all VWs and I originally wanted a 2000 Jetta. But as we all know VWs idea of a reasonably price car for young buyers is not really reasonable(even though they are so cute!) So anyway, after checking out the Focus sedan my father told me to look at the ZX3 which I later fell in love with. At the age of 19, the ZX3 is much more practical to me than the Golf especially for my uses.
    I was reading recently that Ford's idea with the Focus sedan and ZX3 was to the similar appeal of that the new Jetta and Golf have for a price that the average family can afford to buy one for their kids. After nagging and nagging my parents, they refused to shell out $20,000 for a Jetta and I have never been a huge fan of the Golf. So to shoppers who realize they don't need all the extras of a VW or just can't afford them(like me), the Focus is the perfect alternative.
    For all u poor people like me, look on the bright side of the ZX3. How many economy cars give you a standard cd player and 130hp engine?
  • thegtiman1thegtiman1 Member Posts: 13
    Lets say SLOW... Lets say blow up fords.... Lets say work like I am for the 1.8t I am getting... This is not an attack just sympathy. Good luck wave to you in the rearview..
  • sentra20sersentra20ser Member Posts: 68
    My mommy and daddy won't shell out 20 grand to buy me a new car. What should I do? How could they be so cruel? All of my friends parents bought their spoiled kids new VW's. Why are my parents doing this to me?
  • plush1plush1 Member Posts: 12
    Man, that new Focus is pretty nice - the hatchback is anyway. I'm not a big Ford fan or anything but the Focus is pretty impressive. Oh, I just wanted to say one thing to gtiman1 - give it a rest man. Golfs are pretty cool and all but there's always something faster! So the next time you're out there thinkin' you got the fastest car in the land, don't get upset if something faster like a Mustang comes blazing up on your trail...Peace.
    Hate to break it to you but hey everyone thinks that Fords are fast..PSSTTT Ha Ha yeah right.. Bud I also own a 1995 Saturn SC2 with bolt on mods and guess what the 4.6L Nose to Nose Competition and boy are they pissed when they cant beat me. So try again with another worthy car and maybe youll have a conversation here... Lates.....
  • gtiman1gtiman1 Member Posts: 4
    O.k for the record "plush1" I will give it a rest, life is way to short to argue the different aspects of makes and models and of course what it all really comes down to which is personal preference. That said please don't quote a Mustang as something faster, I've owned one and know better, now if it was a Trans Am now that's a different story! Up to now out of all the cars I've owned VW rule! But that's just personal preference again...........
    Gosh, are you people getting snotty! Comparing different classes of cars now, and jumping all over that kid just because he's enthusiastic about his new car. He's right, (whether he pays for it himself or not) the ZX3 is a really neat economic option! Enjoy all your cars folks!
    What bolt on mods, exactly, allow you to run quicker than the 14 second 1/4 mile time that a bone stock 4.6 liter GT will run? Unless you've got some sort of forced induction or nitrous there's no way you're even going to get close, and if you do have one of the above, try racing a Stang with the same mod.

Beating something at a stop light to stop light race isn't that impressive. I beat a friends high 12 second Mustang in a street race in my high 14 second MR2 just because it was impossible for him to get any traction off the line because he was making about twice the power that I was. Did I brag about it afterwards? Of course not, there's no reason to.
    Im a Colorado native and im still here. The mile high should clue you off. Those cares run no where near that figure and by the way bud this is not a cobra as you are elevating it. Were talking GT. I have the advantage of power to weight ratios. Any way its hard to believe but I have done it left and right up and down. Its not the traction its a Ford. The Saturn has torque gobs of it and in the long run I have no chance but damned if doesnt run with them. Believe it or not its the truth.
  • jimmyfocuszx3jimmyfocuszx3 Member Posts: 65
    I got my ZX3 in April and my best friend bought his Golf GL [or is it GS, the baseline]in May and we are both pleased as punch with our cars. I am a bit more of a back road burner so I love the slightly better handling and the better mid range punch. He on the otherhand, loves the ride and overall feel of the Golf. He thinks my car is too twitchy and I think his car is a bit too soft. Overall though, we both have fabulous cars that would put anything to shame for the price not even 5 years ago.

My advice is go drive both and go from there, in this price range, no real reason to look at any other car as they are simply not as good.

Jimmy =)
  • kostamojenkostamojen Member Posts: 55
    First of all, id like to say im a fan of all cars.
    Customs, Imports, Exotics, Classics, Lowriders, anything... as long as it looks good/kicks [non-permissible content removed].
    I also spend alot of my spare time car shoping. After all, i just moved to the Sacramento area In california and live like 2 minutes from the Roseville Automall (THE first "Automall"). Ive looked at almost every car availible in the US in the past year (did most of this while helping my mom shop for a new car, she bought a 2000 Suburu Legacy GT Limited Sedan) and im probably going to get a new car in the next year or earlier, depending on how long my current car lasts... (its been having ALOT of engine trouble lately).

Figuring that ill probably only be able to spend in the 15k range, and need a car that can carry stuff but prefere cars that are nimble and small, ive come down to the Focus Zx3 as my #1 Practicle choice for a car. But if i could spend in the 20k range, i would either go with a Golf 1.8t, a Bug 1.8t, or a Suburu Impreza 2.5RS.

I test drove the Golf a few months ago, and i was impressed... but as some of the previous posts have stated, it is a little "soft" in terms of suspension, but not soft and stiff like a BMW (test drove a 3 series as well). Last week, i drove a zx3 and i was very impressed... It didnt drive like a ford! (seriously) Heck, it didnt feel like a ford at all... It felt like a VW. 130hp doesnt sound like much, but its more than most cars at that price range, but its more than a base golf and that much less money (btw, you can order a New ZX3 for just $100 over invoice). The actuall interior space is very simular, but the Focus has much more head room. And yes, the golf does have more "neat" stuff in it like VW's have, and the quality is a little better... but once again, theres the price difference. And i know that alot of people cant stand buying american, just as i know alot of people cant stand buying foreign, but the focus is simply not a typical ford in any sense, even reliability. The focus has been out in Europe for much longer than it has in the US, and if you were to go there right now, you might notice something... Focus's are EVERYWHERE in europe (my cousin was just over there). Now if Europeans are buying fords... thats got to mean something.
    Dont forget that the 2001 focus ZX3 will have 16 inch wheels in the premium package for basically free (try pricing it out) which is another good mark for the focus if your planning on buying.

Btw, just to make everyone know that im not ford-happy... if i were to buy any reasonable (ie not super expensive) car i could today, i would buy a Lexus IS 300 ;)

BUT, i just read an article about the Focus-R that its going to come out next summer probably, and will have a base cost just UNDER 20k! (220hp for 20k with no mods required? Nice)

Let the flaming on me commence!
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Sorry, flame-free zone. :-)

carlady/host
  • 16valver16valver Member Posts: 8
    are you talking about the base golfs? they are junk and just reek of cheapness. the focus hatch is a damn nice car for the money
  • jtaimjtaim Member Posts: 34
    16valver,

I don't think you've been in a base Golf or else you would say something so outright wrong. Other than having different cloth seats, no power windows, and no armrest, the base Golf (there is no base "golfs", the only base Golf is the Golf GL), uses the same rich materials as in the higher trim Golfs and, in fact, the same materials as in the more expensive Passat. And if you read any review of the Passat, you'll most likely see a compliment about the rich-looking, rich-feeling materials and design of the interior.

"junk" and "reek of cheapness"? uh, no.

p.s. My next car will probably be a Focus 5-door so I have nothing against the Foci.
  • kostamojenkostamojen Member Posts: 55
    Golfs are totally not cheap. VW is the closest thing to BMW for the money.
    Problem with Golfs is the money though, but with the Sports Suspension option for 2001 I would actually thing about getting one in the $20k price range (1.8t of course)
This discussion has been closed.