Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• mpg7mpg7 Member Posts: 17
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I HOPE WHAT I SAW IN VWVORTEX AND THECARLOUNGE IS TRUE!!!!! :shades:
  • jwb18tjwb18t Member Posts: 45
    Same way I feel. The 5 door GTI is the car I have been waiting for....so long. Will be trading in the Passat Variant for a 5 door.
  • conallconall Member Posts: 91
    Beware!
    This may be the version that sells over there as a family friendly GTI. The German version sits a little higher = sacrifice in handling.
  • jwb18tjwb18t Member Posts: 45
    Excellent call out! Will check it carefully in the spring. Most likely will wait till mid summer so have plenty of time to get all the details, Thx.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Beware!
    This may be the version that sells over there as a family friendly GTI. The German version sits a little higher = sacrifice in handling

What are you talking about? There is no such version in Europe, and there is no difference in ride height or anything else between the 3-door and 5-door GTIs.

There is, however, a difference in ride height between the US height and the rest of the world - thanks to the prevalence of SUVs on US roads, and according safety requirements.

From what is known at this point, this does not affect the stiffness of the ride, and only has a minor impact on body roll. For those who want a lower and/or sportier ride in the US, there are always after market/ European OEM springs, and after market shocks and sway bars.
  • conallconall Member Posts: 91
    I'm talking about the what's called the "Golf Plus". I believe it was available with the 200hp 2.0 engine. I saw it in the factory museum/car pick-up point last summer.
    Oh, I am familiar with the Golf Plus. The fact that you related it to the GTI threw me off. I think it is only available with the non-turbo 2.0l (150hp) engine, in Europe.

At any rate, there are no plans at this time to introduce the Golf Plus into the US. The Golf and GTI will be the regular versions, albeit their ride height is a bit higher than in Europe. Reason? Safety tests are standardized to typical ride heights - which in the US are SUVs. Thus, to shine in the safety tests (and also to truly provide the proper safety), several US spec VWs ride a bit higher than their European brethren.

Other cars VW has mentioned for the US future are the Jetta Sportswagon, and a small SUV based on the Golf/Jetta platform.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I'm very happy too =].

Anyway my understanding on the ride height is that the American GTI will have European base-Golf ride height to get a 5 star safety rating instead of 4. Thank gods for the aftermarket.

Other forums are worried about whether or not we'll get the fully bolstered seats... any word?
  • ndotymndotym Member Posts: 7
    I not taking a chance on a new model as of yet, I to got the owners loyalty we bought a red fully loaded 1.8 tip tronic for my wife and she is so happy. as for the mk v out doing the mk 4 1.8 I'll wait to see..
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    the tiptronic is gone from the GTI lineup. DSG is lightyears beyond it.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Yeah, but the funny thing is that they still put a (non-DSG) slushbox AT in the 3.6L Passat which will run you close to $40K. Go figure. :confuse:
    Their pricing on the Passat is totally off-kilter too. I'm blown away that they have the audacity to price that car so high.

Thankfully, VW appears to realize you can't sell many GTIs if they're priced in the 30s.
  • ssantana153ssantana153 Member Posts: 2
    OKAY, I'M A LITTLE NEW TO THIS. BUT NOT NEW TO LOVING GOLFS. SO HERE'S MY PREDICAMENT. I AM COMPARING TWO CARS RIGHT NOW AND HOPEFULLY, ILL BE BUYING ONE PRETTY SOON. THE TWO I'M LOOKING AT ARE 1) A 2003 VW TDI GLS GOLF, 33K MILES, $10,250, NEVER SEEN IT, FOUND IT ON AUTOTRADER. 2)A 2003 VW GTI (RABBIT EDITION, 20TH ANNIVERSARY), 37K MILES, EXCELLENT CONDITION, A BEAUTIFUL CAR, THE ONLY SET BACK IS ITS NOT A DIESEL AND IT ONLY GETS 27 MPG. BUT ITS ONE STEP SHORT OF MY DREAM CAR, AN R-32. WHICH IS THE BETTER BUY? I AM MAINLY INTERESTED IN A PRACTICAL CAR.
  • ssantana153ssantana153 Member Posts: 2
    I AM INTERESTED IN LOOKING INTO THESE NEW GTI'S. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MPG THEY GET, IF THEY COME IN DIESEL, AND THE SUCH. THANKS.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    I bought a 2005 1.8L turbo GTI back in January... I bought it with the 17" wheels, ESP, moonroof and Monsoon stereo, and heated leather seats.

All total, it ran to about $20,500 before taxes, tag, and title. I was buying it while overseas in South Korea, so I would have it ready for pickup as I walked off the plane.

Of course, you could customize a GTI at the Edmunds site, print out the TMP price and negotiate with the dealer from that price point.

:P
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Is there pricing listed anywhere on the net? Like Edmunds or others?
    Vortex has it. 22k with 6 speed, xenons, etc. 23k with dsg. package 1 is $1300 and includes moonroof and sirius/xm. package 2 is leather, dual climate control and a few other things for 3k. 18 inch rims are, i believe, around 750-850. navi is listed too for the usual massive ripoff price of 2k.

The GTI's a good bargain. 25-26k with package 2, so figure 24k after negotiating. Not too shabby.
  • sdcabincrew74sdcabincrew74 Member Posts: 6
    I got mine just a few weeks ago from Metro VW/Audi here in SAN. Indigo blue, auto, ESP, sunroof and monsoon. 19,300 out the door and that included tax, title and registration.
  • sdcabincrew74sdcabincrew74 Member Posts: 6
    Ok, I will be honest, sometimes I do not fasten my seatbelt, such as when I pull the car from the garage to the driveway to wash, etc. But that annoying beeping every 25 seconds is driving me MAD! Can I stop that?!?!
    You, you, you GTI thief!

You took my GTI!

:-)

No, in all seriousness, you just bought a GTI that is identical to mine.

I have a 2005, indigo blue, automatic GTI with ESP, sunroof, and monsoon.

:P
    Yeah, you can stop the bell by putting on your seatbelt. It's an easy thing to remember and furthermore, I don't want to pay for your medical bills and nursing staff when you get launched through the windshield and end up a quad.
    Ok, I will be honest, sometimes I do not fasten my seatbelt, such as when I pull the car from the garage to the driveway to wash, etc. But that annoying beeping every 25 seconds is driving me MAD! Can I stop that?!?!

First, I am assuming you are truly on private property and not on public roads when unbuckled.

If this really is a problem for you (25 seconds sounds like a long time...), you can ask your dealer, or a friend with a VAG-COM to disable the chime. Or, you can buy the VAG-COM software and cable and do the mod (and tens of others) yourself. :shades:
    Nice fit and finish. Decent interior. Power in the GTI with 18s, package 1 and DSG was ample. DSG was just as fun and snappy as ever. Unfortunately, the car sits too high and the suspension causes too much understeer in hard cornering. Nosedive was ample in corners and the car, due to the inherent problems of FWD, couldn't pull out of corners fast enough for me. Overall, a nice car, good power, great tranny but ultimately far too soft for my liking.

Bummer. I wanted to like it as it was last hope.
    How much was the sticker price for the DSG model that you test drove?
    package 1, DSG and 18s = 25k
    Hmmm... Hmmm... I may want to seriously check one out.

On a side note:

I really wish that Volkswagen would get rid of it's current 'Package 1, Package 2' option choices. They're bundling too much extraneous 'cr@p' for my taste. All I'd really want as an option is heated leather seats, but I can't get it as a stand alone.

:cry:
    blueguy,

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I have to say that some amount of dive and leaning is part of the GTI's character - it may scare you if you are not used to it, but in itself does not hurt handling much. The US suspension probably doesn't help much with that, either. At any rate, several GTI reviews I have seen commented on it just as above - part of its character. As to pulling out of corners, you would have to spin the inner front tire a lot before FWD and the missing front LSD come into play. Did you have ESP switched off? Were the tires brand new or all-seasons? Perhaps you should also try the 17" wheels and check the tire pressure before you go (somewhere around 37psi).

Hopefully the Euro suspension will eventually become available as a dealer upgrade. I prefer no front LSD, because it can be a hazard at the limit. I don't know if we will ever see AWD with this engine... that would be my first choice.
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I have to say that some amount of dive and leaning is part of the GTI's character - it may scare you if you are not used to it, but in itself does not hurt handling much.

It doesn't scare me. lol I don't get scared by cars. It just points to a soft suspension. That's not character: it's tuning to make the typical american happy.

Perhaps you should also try the 17" wheels and check the tire pressure before you go (somewhere around 37psi).

18s - summer performance tires. The American suspension raises the car too much, IMHO. And the longer springs/shocks don't help much either.

I think I just needed a full reminder I'll never be happy driving a FWD car. They're just not enough fun. Oh well.
  • joemalejoemale Member Posts: 28
    Went to vw.com to get info, but could not find
    anyway. I'd like to know what's included in the
    packages. Thanks.
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    Package 1:
    Sunroof and XM or Sirius satellite radio

Package 2:
    Package 1 plus more aggresively bolstered sports seats in leather (heated) and Climatronic
  • altionaltion Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 1988 GTI diesel (1.6L) -- the 50mpg is sorely tempting, but I have heard them described as "underpowered." I don't need much oomph for driving, but whatever car I get I do want ot put a tow package on to launch/retrieve a small sailing dinghy, take a trailer load of debris to the dump, etc. These won't be long trips, but they do involve hills. If anyone has a practical sense for the older non-turbo diesel's abilities, I'd appreciate the info.

Also, any info on reliability/maintenance would be great. Thanks!
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Did you replace the brake light switch (attached to the brake pedal)?

Here's a simple test. Since all of the brake lights aren't working, the yellow triangle is displayed on your instrument panel and your cruise control stops working all of a sudden - the culprit is the brake light switch. These systems are integrated by design to let you know when one or all of these systems stop working.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    I currently own a 2003 Altima SE. I owned a 1998 GTI VR6 before that which I really liked. Am considering the new GTI.
  • nonce_tomarnonce_tomar Member Posts: 1
    Have read almost all the previous postings in this forum but haven't seen any discussion thus far. Just recently I've started to see a copious quantity of water in the floor board on the driver's side only. I'm located in Northwest Oregon and it's been a bit wet lately to say the least. I'm curious to see if others have had the problem and if so what were their solutions. I finally got an opportunity to chase the drain on the left side of the moon roof and poured water in it to make sure it drains. I'm assuming that the sun roof is not designed to be water tight but rather, water resistant. Also I'm pretty sure this is not a coolant leak as the fluid level has been static between the min-max level when I've check and there is no "sweet" smell in the cabin.

I did see a reference to a posting on the web about the seal where the pollen filter penetrates the cabin might be a problem, but I'd expect to see water on the right side of the cabin for this unless I'm mistaken. Ideas anybody?
  • mabubbamabubba Member Posts: 53
    I fell in love with the new GTI when I first read about the Audi A3. I have an Audi A4 now, but have been wanting something sportier. Hence, my interest in the A3. I am impressed with the A3's balance of size, technology, luxury, and sportiness. Price though has scared me away. I could get a base 2006 manual 325i w/ sport package for the same price as the optioned A3 I was considering. Then I heard about the upcoming release of the Gen V GTI and I was hooked. I test drove one last weekend and ended up purchasing a Red - Pkg. 1 - auto with the 18" wheels. The DSG is awesome. Coming from the triptronic in my A4 it is a definite improvement. I can't get over the plaid seats, I love them. I pick it up tomorrow, I'll give an update soon.
  • xinnekxinnek Member Posts: 6
    :D Have you seen the fast? http://myfastgti.com
    It's a mutated rabbit that all of the 06 gti owners are getting. Very cool!
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Looks like Vaders head :surprise:

DL
    Moe importantly, you should try out a test drive with Helga...

:):D :P ;) :surprise:
    Now that is one fine Steering wheel.. ;)

0-60 7.1 How is it that the heavier 5 door A3 beat's that by a full second ?

DL
    You cannot compare manufacturer supplied 0-60 times to times tested by magazines. VW is always quite conservative with their 0-60 times. Magazine published times are around 6.5, if I recall correctly, without launch control or full-rev clutch drops. On VW's site, the times also vary with specs (manual vs. DSG, 17" wheels vs. 18" wheels).

Car & Driver published 6.0 even for the new GTI (Euro-spec with DSG, which means they may have used launch control). EVO magazine just published 6.7 on a manual. DSG is faster, but not typically by that margin...
  • xeninxenin Member Posts: 3
    Hi all:

I thought I'd get relatively the most neutral answers here instead of from brand specific enthusiast forums. I've narrowed my purchase down to an 06 RSX-S or a new GTI, I test drove the Si but decided it's not for me and I'd gladly take either car mentioned above over it. Now I've test driven the RSX-S 4 times and the new GTI twice.

I like the RSX-S very much, in fact, in the past couple of weeks that I've been researching I've thoroughly considered cars from Scion tC to a base model 350Z or RX-8, there were good thing about each and every one of them but I find myself coming back to RSX every time, I've even crossed it off the list after test driving the WRX but somehow it came back after a few days, that's how much I like it.

But after test driving the new GTI I just think that it offers everything that the RSX offers but does them a little bit better. More interior and exterior features, a little more variation in styling, steering wheel is a bit better, brakes are a bit better, ride is a bit better, space is a bit better etc etc etc. It's just an overall more complete car, I liked the car a little bit better in every aspect, well, maybe not EVERY aspect, because it's still better to have the 8100rpm redline of the K20 engine, it's just completely insane when you get up there in the revs, feels like a little serious racer.

What's stopping me from buying a GTI, however, is the concern with overall reliability and dealership customer service. My projected time frame of ownership is AT THE MINIMUM 5 years and really planning to keep it for about 8 years, roughly in the 100~130k miles range. Now with the Acura I'm pretty certain it will offer me relatively cheap and trouble-free motoring for the time that I plan on keeping it, but with the GTI, I'm not so sure. I'm not so sure it will properly get me to my finals on time, I'm not so sure it's not gonna leave me stranded half way to my first job's interview, I'm not so sure it's not gonna make me call a tow truck when I'm on a road trip. Due to Volkswagen's recent history I just simply CAN'T be sure, this will be my only car so I NEED it to work all the time and every time. And the dealership service as well, als from recent history and reports, apparently VW service is among some of the worst in the auto industry, well at least here in the US. Having problems or the need for maintenance is one thing, having problems while dealing with a dealership's service apartment that just doesn't give a damn about your stupid little car is just double the frustration. That is the other major concern I have over the future ownership of a GTI if I choose to purchase it.

I liked the GTI quite a lot, it offered the perfect blend of performance, luxury, sophistication and styling and just enough spunk to set it apart from the crowd. But that's the impression I got from driving two brand spanking new vehicles with less than 20 miles on the odometer, what about when that reaches 2,000 miles? what about 20,000? What about 120,000? I can't help but wonder.

What do you guys think?
  • imahamsterimahamster Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T. I bought this car in Sept 2004 and to date have put over 35k miles on it. I have had no real issues with the car except for some minor interior items.

Now of course I bought a 2004... which is basically the last ones VW made before the new MKV. That means that most of the issues (and there was a lot of issues) with the older 2000-2003 had been resolved in the 2004. I think your fears are not unfounded. This is a first generation VW and I wouldnt doubt that it will have some issues.
    On the other hand, the new Mark V isn't a first year Volkswagen.

It's been out in Europe since 2003, and the US spec vehicle is made at the same Wolfsburg plant that makes the European spec GTI's.

So the same factory crew is making both the US and Euro spec GTI's in the same factory.

I'd imagine that if it does have problems, it'd be more along the lines of the problems found on the third year of a production.
    I think your Dealer concerns are more important than your concerns over the vehicle. Otherwords, IF there is an issue will it be taken care of ? With a 6/60K powertrain warranty one would assume that IF you were going to have an major issue is would occur by then.

To confuse things more, the Acura is about 100 Times more likey to be Stolen/theft than the V dub. How that equates to your insurance rates im not sure.

Good luck,
    DL
  • imahamsterimahamster Member Posts: 2
    Yes yes the insurance on the RXS-S might very well be significantly more than the VW. Also if you plan to modify the car you should look at the aftermarket for that specific car.
    If reliability as close to perfect as possible is your number one concern, you really have no choice. VWs are a bit hit and miss. I have been very lucky, but clearly, by all measures, they are not as reliable as Hondas or Acuras. Now, having said that, I would also add that the better VWs of the past are only about a factor two less reliable than the best cars out there. So, if something breaks in your Acura after 1 1/2 years, chances are, 2 things will have broken in the VW. That is clearly more, but is not 10 times as bad, or so. Also, more than likely, whatever breaks will be fixed for free under the excellent warranty, and possibly simply when you have your oil change done.

As for long-term reliability, I would take a well-maintained VW any day over a Honda or Toyota. For vehicles driven normal mileage (around 15K miles/year, or so), all well-maintained VWs I have encountered have had a better record and cheaper cost-of-ownership after 100,000 miles or so than the Hondas and Toyotas my friend and family have had. Anectdotal, for sure. But among enthusiast VW drivers (who actually have oil changes and timing belts etc. done), you will find many with cars in the 150,000 to >200,000 range that are still going strong.

Last but not least, the MkV has been out for a while now, in Europe, and is by far Europe's best selling car. VW has been trying to improve their reliability, and in my opinion, they are definitely on their way up.
  • xeninxenin Member Posts: 3
    I've decided to go with the GTI, I probably care about my car more than I care about myself so I'll definitely maintain it properly, reliability and ownership costs aside, the GTI really wins my heart.
    Congrads, Enjoy the ride ;)

DL
  • poggenseepoggensee Member Posts: 4
    Allhorizon, I totally agree with you when you talk about long term reliability. A few years back I bought a 91 golf that had around 100k miles. The lady I bought it from had a vanilla folder of all the preventive maintenance service paperwork. I drove that car for another 100k miles and never had any mechanical issues.

Hopefully I can talk the wife into parting her protégé 5 for a new GTI. Is it true we are getting a 4 door version?
    May-June for the Golf, ~end of July for the GTI.