Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I was told here in Dallas, the 3 door showed up one day a Month early. And the 5 door was not out of the question for April-May.

DL
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    > As for long-term reliability, I would take a well-maintained VW any day over a Honda or Toyota.

I definitely agree with you and poggensee. I bought my 1997 Jetta Trek (which had 80,000 miles on it) from my local VW dealer. After replacing the coil (which was probably why the previous owner traded it in) a tuneup, and a little TLC (synthetic oil changes w/OEM oil filters), I've been driving it ever since without any problems (the car just turned 170,000 on the odometer).
  • bailey3204bailey3204 Member Posts: 4
    I just returned a brand new 2006 gti to the dealer after only 2 days and voided the contract due to the a/c blowing hot air with the a/c @ 65 degrees. Also, the radio and cd player volume drops in and out for no apparent reason. I currently have a loaner car from the dealer while I await a new gti from germany. It will be arriving march 15 and I have till then to decide if to buy the gti or just return the loaner and get a honda. I was advised by several friends not to get a vw due to reliability issues but after researching the gti and reading how vw has vowed to improve these issues I decided to buy the gti. I am disappointed because for the short time I had the car I fell in love with the car's interior and the ride. What do you think I should do? :(
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Well, yesterday I traded in my old VW GTI for the new Mark V GTI.

And mine does indeed blow hot air when I set it to 65 degrees. HOWEVER, it was 22 degrees this morning, so that makes sense. Once it reached 65 degrees, though, the hot air stopped and the climate control worked properly.

Could it be that it was a chilly morning in which setting the climate control to 65 would warrant hot air? My folks live in Florida and have said that it's been kind of chilly last week.

As for the radio, I have noticed that the volume does drop sometimes. Mainly due to a loss in signal reception. The only station that I've found it happening to is the one station that my last car's radio had trouble picking up at times.

I haven't tried the CD player yet, so I can't really comment.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Wow, your dealer must earn a lot of money to allow you to "void your contract" and give you a loaner due to radio reception issues. From what you are saying, it seems to me, perhaps this is not the right car for you. But then, I don't know what car would be.
    Guys, it wasn't a chilly morning and it wasn't the climate control working, it was a malfunction that happend for 2 days. If the a/c was set to its coldest it was fine but as soon as you notched it up 1 degree it would activate the heater and blow as hot as it possibly could. As far as the radio it was happening with the cd and radio so it wasn't the reception. I would not post if I wasn't sure of what I was saying. The manager at the dealer was nice enough to give me a second new gti for 2 days while they checked the problems, the 2nd gti had the same problem with the radio which the manager admitted there was a problem. As far as the 1st gti they couldn't get the a/c to reproduce the problem but they admiitted that they had heard of a possible cause. They also said they couldn't figure out why the cd and radio were doing that. They took the 2nd gti back and yes were nice enough to give me a loaner jetta while they ordered another gti. I wasn't trying to offend you guys just trying to get some input. Previous cars, honda accord ex v6, 2003 mustang cobra which was stolen thats why I'm buying this car. :)
    Try having the dealer look for a similar GTI from the surrounding VW dealerships in the state. There should be a few others around in Florida or Georgia.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    imageimageimageimage

This is at VW of Coconut Creek, FL. Not sure if that's where your dealer is but this should increase chances of getting a GTI with climate control that does not have the same issue you described. I know in FL, we live and die by the A/C. :)
    Holey Moley!

That's a lot of GTI's. Oh yes, that's a lot of GTI's.

:P
    No Joke ! and color coated to boot. Our local 7 dealers have between 3-6 cars each....

DL
    Good pictures! My dealer said they can see all the gti in the USA and that there were not any available that were black with 0 option package and automatic. I didn't believe them so I called 3 different VW dealers and they all said they had that car. My dealer said they were lying to me because they just wanted me to come to their location. My dealer told me to ask them for a vin #, once I did that all of a sudden they said OH! we don't have a black auto with 0 option package. So finally my dealer gave me 2 options a black gti with auto & option package 1 (sunroof and sirius) for $500 usually $1300 or wait until march 15 for one to arrive from germany which was on a boat in germany. I said I'd wait but now I think I should have taken the option 1 for $500.
  • malindimalindi Member Posts: 3
    Hi there,

What are the chances that, sometime in the VERY near future in the land of the free we will begin to see the Golf V GTI in 4 doors as the rest of the World has.

I have recently emigrated to the US and, to my horror, the Golf V GTI is not only UN-available in the US, but may end up coming in a 2 door derivative?

I once had the pleasure of owning this sweet pea, and this is what it looked like:

I had a metallic blue color though. But just wanted to show that, unlike the rest of the World, we're a pretty isolated bunch here.
    If you look at the posts above, you can see that the GTI has indeed been available in the US (for about a month, now).

The 5-door GTI is projected to arrive end of July, the Golf end of June. :shades:
    July 29th is the day to look forward to. I, myself, am holding out for the 5-door. Hopefully, VW will make it a 2007 model and have launch control. :)
    bailey, I think I would have taken option #1. See if they will still give you the same deal. Good Luck.
  • nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    Last week i bought a Mk IV 1.8T GTI. i would appreciate if someone would shed some light on the functionality of a rear spoiler for the GTI that is sold by VW as an accessory. is it mostly aesthetic or does it really create appreciable downforce?

thanks.
    I guess I could also mention here that the GTI won against the SI and the JCW supercharged Mini Cooper in the April R&T comparison.
  • talbotautostalbotautos Member Posts: 4
    Hey GTI fans.I just got my 06 VW GTI yesterday and wanted to share it with all of you. I put up numerous pictures of the vehicle in and out on my carspace. Just look for the Talbotautos name. Please send me your feedback to my carspace mail box. I love the car but I want to hear what my fellow GTI fans thing. Thanks again guys.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Nice photos! I saw them on your page at http://www.carspace.com/talbotautos

Congrats!
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Sounds like first year car blues. Some aspects of the USA GTI, like AC/heater calibration, radio, etc., may be unique to the USA (our environment is different than Germanys'), and possibly that calibration or hardware is marginal. Let's hope VW gets the bugs squashed pronto!

I'm not bashing VW; every car maker has this trouble, even Toyota (my first year Camry had quite a few glitches that the later models ironed out).
    Let's hope VW gets the bugs squashed pronto!

What bugs? I have been monitoring a number of MKV boards, and I have been pleasantly surprised that there seem to be very few if any common, early issues.
    I'd have to agree. Watching real closely since VW is not known for reliability and there hasn't been a downpour of issues.
  • spektrespektre Member Posts: 80
    Has anyone seen one with Nav yet? I know it's supposed to be available, but I have yet to see it in person or in any dealer's inventory online...
  • meatsosmeatsos Member Posts: 1
    Mine is coming on on Wednseday or Thursday of next week, i will keep you posted
  • alucard400alucard400 Member Posts: 1
    IMPORTANT INFO about the RSX.
    I'm doing research on what car I will buy in the next month or two. My considerations are also similar to yours: RSX, GTI, and the honda Civic SI.

Here's what i've found about the RSX. The manual transmission for all models (base or type S) has problems with the 2nd gear(grinds) and the third gear popping out. I found this just browsing on google and checking customer reviews. This is for all model years. Go do a search yourself and you'll see a lot of forum/board posts about the grinding issues. I've also found a petition by a couple of thousand people against Acura/HONDA.
    i'm still considering the RSX (automatic transmission). Yeah, it's no fun to drive an auto. but I'm looking for a car to commute in the city(i'd be fine with manual if I didn't live near downtown Los angeles) . But my top choice at this time is the GTI. I can get both manual and automatic. I just dont know how reliable the car is just like you.
    I'm likely to get a GTI. cause it's been out in europe for 3 years now. And it also comes from there.
  • jburleigjburleig Member Posts: 16
    I turn 40 in August. I am thinking about the 5 door GTI as a birthday present to myself. Am I too old for this car? Don't want to appear like a silly ole fool. I like the new Passat, but the GTI is the one that pulls my heartstrings.
    I'll be 38 in July - I know I'm not too old for the 5-door, which I expect to have in my hands right around my birthday!

I'm a big believer in "You're only as old as you feel" ;)
  • mpg7mpg7 Member Posts: 17
    I'LL BE 42 IN AUGUST AND WOULD BUY ONE IN A SECOND IF I NEEDED A NEW CAR. BTW, CELEBRATED MY 40TH WITH WAAAAAAY TOO MANY MARGARITAS....IT WAS A TON OF FUN THOUGH!!! :shades:
  • 4itgog4itgog Member Posts: 15
    I've had 4 GTIs in the past, and as I push 57, the 4-door is looking too good. It's an addiction that does'nt fade with age.
  • jburleigjburleig Member Posts: 16
    Thanks, everybody. Glad to hear there are guys like me out there. I feel younger already.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    I'm older than any of you (59) and if I didn't have a nice new Audi A4, I would certainly put the GTI on my short list. I'd also lower it to Euro specs and reflash the ECU. I'd even consider the DSG, even though I've never owned a car with an auto trans.

Heck, I nearly bought a Subie STI but I couldn't give up those nice Audi (and GTI) interiors.

But the only real question is... what color ya gonna buy?

Byron
    Well, as long as Shipo isn't reading this: I drove the A3 2.0 with DSG, and it's unlike anything you've ever driven before. The shifts are strong and very fast - easily the best transmission I've ever experienced. :D

I'm buying United Gray 5-door DSG with everything (unless the initial Nav reviews are bad - but I'd hate to put aftermarket Nav into that dash).
    I would enjoy reading what folks have to say if they compare an A3 to the new '06 GTI. Both seem to have similar engine, trans and ride/handling.

So far, it seems advantages of GTI is more dealers (more places for factory service) and lower cost. Advantage of Audi is nicer interior and "image".
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Don't forget another sizeable advantage of the A3 vs. the GTI: Free maintenance.

Free maintenance for the first 4 years or 50 thousand miles. The VW does have a better powertrain warranty by one year or 10,000 miles, which is ludicrous, Audi should match that.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Long as you get a '06. '07 bye bye Free Maintence on Audi...

DL
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    That maintenance was never really free... you just paid for it up front in an increased sticker price. I'm pretty sure that Audi will offer a maintenance option with new cars for around five hundred bucks or so. I'd guess the cost will vary with the model.

But with the GTI here now, will VW bring back an R32?...

Byron
    Did you get your GTI with Nav yet? :confuse:

Are you too busy driving to tell us? :shades:
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Absolutely right about maintenance not "really" being free. Nothing is free in life. Only, if you compare equivalently equipped GTI's and A3's, and you're thinking you could save 2.5K on the VW, you better factor in closer to 500 to 1,000 dollars for maintenance for 50,000 to close the gap.

I almost think that extra year and 10,000 miles on the powertrain VW is offering is worth all that free maintenance in and of itself.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • xeninxenin Member Posts: 3
    Have had my GTI for a month now and it's been a blast. Initial build quality is very very good compared to all the bad things the general public said about VW in general. 1000 miles and 0 problems, didn't even had that quality in a brand new BMW, nor a Honda, owned both.

I was surprised by the power in the upper rev range, being a turbocharged engine I thought the power would die out pretty quickly nearing the redline, but the pull kept getting stronger all the way to 7k with no hint of letting up. Great car for the money, no regrets at all.

Sorry guys I had my pictures from imageshack but can't them to come up right, someone help!
    It will be interesting to see what Audi does with its pricing once they drop the 'free' maintenance...
  • akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    If you're still not quite sure, the A3 2.0T w/ Sport package makes it a 5-door GTI. It also has the requisite brand cachet. I'm still debating between the GTI and the A3 myself (I'm 29). I'll be moving into either from a Mini Cooper S (too much trouble to live with, long story). I need the extra rear passenger and cargo room.
    you might want to wait until the 2007 year (not far away!!). Audi has a buncha new S3 engines over in Europe, and one or all of those might migrate to the 2007 A3.

Also, the 5 Door GTI will be out in the summer (or sooner, some posters claim) and, if you don't need Audi luxury or image, that Vdub may prove a fine alternative.
    I really like the A3 - I took a 2.0 DSG out for a spin while waiting for my Allroad to be serviced. It was a phenomenal driver.

But, now that I've seen the 2-door GTI and pics of the 4-door, I find that the A3 styling isn't as pronounced as I first thought it was. I guess what I'm saying is that vs the classic hatch shape of the GTI, the A3 fades into the sea of other compact wagons out there - YMMV.

Finally, getting the cars to about the same configuration level, but of course with a sunroof instead of Open Sky, etc., the GTI seems like a huge bargain - about 6K less...
  • uwahuskyuwahusky Member Posts: 17
    I was all set to buy an A3 and then a friend showed me pictures of the 4-door GTI. I think it's a sharper car than the A3 and for about $6k less, I thought I'd wait.

Last I heard from my dealer is that the 4-door GTI will be here in July, however I think it'll be more like September. He originally told me May, which is what made me wait on the A3 and hold out for the GTI.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't want to wait another 6 months for my new car.

I do think the A3 will have better leg room for your rear passengers than the GTI.
    The 4 door GTI will be a "first year-er" for VW here. Consumer groups and JDPOWER have found first year cars always have some problems that get nailed in subsequent years.

Do you have a solid VW dealer that will help you through a possible ruff patch with a new model?

Audi has just about gotten through its first year of A3s, (its being in europe 3 years beforehand did not keep it from avoiding some problems with wiring and its sequential trans posted at Edmunds).
    However, the '07 may show up around or before the 4-Door GTI gets here.
  • ashulman727ashulman727 Member Posts: 21
    I just put a deposit on a new GTI. I was not very comfortable with the dealer, but was getting a very good deal so I went ahead with the purchase.
    They told me that the 18" wheels come with Summer Performance tires. Living in NYC, I wanted all-season tires. He told me that he would throw in the all-season tires with the 18" wheels.
    Now I'm doing research and I don't see that option anywhere. Did he lie to me?
    Hmmm, I'm gonna have to call you on this one kurt. The 4-door GTI may be in its first year here, but the car, as the MK-V GTI 4-door, has been available in Europe for several years now. This isn't some special US model, it's built in Germany not South America (I've seen the window sticker.)

It may have a few changes for the US market, but it's far from a "first year-er." Any first year issues have already been resolved.
    If you want the 18" wheels, and he's "throwing-in" the all-seasons, and you're getting a good deal, what's the question again? :)

The 18" tires with the 18" wheels (option PJZ) are Summer performance, and so are the standard 17" tires - the 17" optional tires (option H7K) are "All Season."

This info is from the VW GTI Specs PDF on the VW website. If the dealer is really "throwing-in" 18" All-season tires, that's a heck of a deal as that tire will run you around $200 each to go buy them on your own. :surprise:
  • ashulman727ashulman727 Member Posts: 21
    He's saying that the 18" all-seasons are coming from the factory. No such thing, right?