Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my '08 2dr GTI w/ summer tires. I obviously have not driven it in snow (and don't plan to) but I imagine it won't handle nearly as well as your AWD vehicle. As a matter of fact, it will probably handle similarly to my last high performance FWD car (Acura TL), not very well. Had 4 blizzaks on it and still got stuck.
  • Thanks for your feedback, upstatedoc.
  • Hi- just took delivery on an 03 1.8 turbo, (no owners manual yet), and have a warning light on the control panel. It's the outline of a circle, with a break in it, I think. Can anyone telll me what the light indicates? Thanks.
  • jwb18tjwb18t Posts: 45
    Wondering what your thoughts are regarding winter driving with the GTI. I would have snow tires mounted for the winter like I do on my 2 current vehicles(2007 Honda Ody and 1998 Honda CRV). My last VW/Audi vehicle was a 2003 VW Passat GLS Wagon and it handled very well. Any insight is appreciated.
  • Picked up my '08 2dr gray 6MT yesterday. Had an hour drive home, it felt like I was driving a fighter plane. Unfortunately it snowed 5" last night and I haven't driven it since.
  • Just curious, my '08 GTI has the summer tires (Continental Sport Conti's). What brand are the all seasons?
  • clayhclayh Posts: 6
    Dunlop 225/40R 18 92H,extra load,M&S on original rims, :)
  • Thanks Clay, are the 18 inchers the same as the 17's? (brand wise)
    BTW- Did you figure out if the MPH could be displayed in the center read out?
  • clayhclayh Posts: 6
    Don't know if VW uses same brand, I would expect so. The MPH can be displayed on center computer ONLY if you have auto climate control. For directions go to MY FSAT GTI.com
  • oops! I don't know where my brain is somedays, my summer tires are Bridgestone Potenzas. Where did I get Continentals from? Unfortunately, auto climate control was done away with for model year '08.
  • I've recently bought a 2007 2-DR GTI which I have really enjoyed. I've been averaging 26 MPG combined mileage. I recently bought a chip that is supposed to increase the car's mileage and power. Is there any way that I could find out how to install this chip properly. Thanks for your help. This is by far the best VW I've had out of the 6 I've owned over the last 25 years. Great tracking, acceleration, and body integrity.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Posts: 110
    Trying to decide which car I will buy to replace my 05 MINI Cooper S Cabrio. I will be driving this car daily about 70 miles, all highway, to and from work. Occasional snow but in reality if the roads are bad, my facility closes down. There is about a $10K difference between the 2 cars so I am having a hard time justifying the difference. I have driven several GTIs, manual and DSG, and really like the car. Have decided to go with the DSG. Have not driven the R32 mostly out of fear that I will love it and convince myself that I need it. I'd like to hear opinions from current GTI and R32 owners. Thanks.
  • Haven't driven the GTI recently due to poor weather but I could swear that one of the buttons on the steering wheel has a phone on it. Is that for bluetooth? Didn't see anything about that on the website. Haven't had a chance to look through the manual yet.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,015
    Yes and no :) It is for bluetooh everywhere else except in North America. VW didn't bring over the bluetooth option, but left the button. So it's useless. The little grates on the overhead console are useless too. That's where the microphone is supposed to go.
  • Thanks, I wonder if there is any way to rig it? Bluetooth would be extremely useful especially since I have the 6MT. I have one of those earpieces but they're a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].
    I read in another forum (can't post the name here) that somebody got it working with a Parrot Kit and another adapter from another company. No idea how work intensive/expensive it was.
    Doc,

How do I send you a private message?
  • upstatedoc@carspace.com
    Message sent. Good luck.
  • does the GTI have more than one 12v power supply? I could only find one near the fake ashtray.
  • Good Lord! I just took a look at that link you provided about someone adding bluetooth to their VW. That guy must be an electrician! I wouldn't attempt anything like that for fear of frying some of my GTI's circuitry. I wonder if my dealer would install an aftermarket kit...
    Yeap. That's why I just bought a bluetooth headset. Less headaches and a lot cheaper.
  • gti97gti97 Posts: 1
    My daughter has a 98 Golf GTI and as of late, the lights have been working intermittently. Sometimes when I start the car, the ABS light on the dash goes on, as well as the brake light (the brake is off). When these two lights are on, the automatic run lights as well as the lights themselves do not work. This has been happening intermittently, even while driving down the road in the dark and the lights will all of the sudden go off. Does anyone have any clue to what this might be? Thanks for any input.
  • Bought my '08 GTI first week of December, just got my "Fast" in the mail today. Not really sure what to make of it. Looks like some kind of a mutant devil bunny. I don't suppose an officer would find it amusing if I got pulled over and it was belted into the passenger seat. :P
  • Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a new GTI 2008 soon with the following options: 4dr, DSG, Autobahn Package, Navigation w/ iPod adapter, and Rear airbags.

How much would it cost OTD? Its invoice price is about $28,000 and dealer's quote was its invoice before TTL. What do you guys think about this deal?

Thanks for your input in advance.
  • Guys,

Just be wary if you start buying cars that have been on the lot too long they might actually be prior year models. Ie - a 07. In that case, you'll need a decent discount to offset the fact that used cars lose value with each "Year" that they are going backwards. So, your car might only be 24 months old and with 20 000 miles but if it's a 05 vs a 06 the 06 is always able to get more. Make sense?

Justin
  • Looking at purchasing a 2006 GTI, package 2, 18" wheels and navi. Three questions...

Does anybody have any experience using a rear facing child safety seat in the 2-door GTI? Is it livable or am I risking tight room for occupants and frustration getting the seat in and out?

How is the navi/stereo?

Any things I need to be on the look out for on the used GTIs? This one has 26,000 miles.

Thanks
  • i've owned my 2006 GTI since March 2006...

1. i have no experience with a child seat.

2. in my opinion, the nav and stereo are both very good. there could be more bass, but overall they are very well integrated, easy to use, and the system sounds good.

my only complaints are:
    - i got the low-profile tires and the horribly-potholed roads in Washington DC have forced me to replace three tires, so far. in all, they cost ~$300 each from the dealer to replace.
    - plastic parts are coming off the inside of the car at an alarming rate. both front seat seatbelt clasps have fallen apart and i'm not even sure where some of the other plastic parts are from.

otherwise, i love the car.
    hope that helps.
  • Hi All,
    there are 2 light bulb inside the GTI headlight, the right one is for low-beam, DRL. Can some tell me what the left light bulb is for? how and when it will turn on?

thanks.
  • That's an interesting question, just like the phone button on the steering wheel. Those are the "passing lights" which only engage when the car is parked! I experimented w/ the lights and found that when the car is in gear, the high beams flash when you pull the left stalk towards you. However, when the car is parked and the lights are turned off, pulling the left stalk towards you turns these lights on. The DRL function on the car must override the passing lights.