Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• sidds1601sidds1601 Posts: 3
    What do you mean by essentially giving them away? You mean below or at invoice? I need ur help man...Anybody knows if anyone got to buy it below invoice?
    Also I heard that moonroof retain their full value even after a couple of years when you go sell the car...what do u guys think?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    I mean 0% interest for 60 months and at or near invoice is pretty much giving the car away.

I have no idea what the resale is like though.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    2009 models get an option bluetooth kit. However you can have it installed at the dealer. Part number for this kit is 1K0 051 437. Has to be installed at the dealer for now. Takes about 1 to 2 hours to install this thing depending on the tech installing it. The kit provides all the useful bluetooth features and the MFD gets the hidden telephone menu. Should cost about 300 to 350 USD minus installation.
  • clayhclayh Posts: 6
    Parrott makes the kit, you can find it on line for about $249.00 (what I paid 6 months ago). Took my dealer less than an hour, but is partly since I'm happy with the microphone sitting in the crevice behind steering wheel. Basically a plug and go item. If you want, that is a good time to upgrade. I had the dealer take the plastic trim off, then had it sprayed at a local shop. Also ordered the tray insert for the dash.
    :blush: URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/callmeclay]callmeclay[/URL] at 2008-07-30
    Really, how tacky of VW. They offer BT in europe, so why not a real BT option here?
    This is not the parrot kit. This is the new OEM kit that is just starting to come into dealers. The parrot kit doesn't have the telephone menu that requires programming.
    I just mentioned this new kit. 1K0 051 437 is the part number for it. This is the new USA bluetooth kit that is made by Nokia or some other company. Some people just don't get that a new USA kit is coming out. You could also use the European part number 1Z0 035 729 but thats way too expensive. They also have an even more expensive and not as compatible premium kit which acts like a cell phone. Uses the rSAP profile on certain cell phones and works like an in car cell phone. It can only work in Europe though since it only runs on 900/1900 MHz which T-Mobile and AT&T don't use. The premium bluetooth does have HFP and some really interesting bluetooth profiles. Hope this helps.
  • bc6152bc6152 Posts: 3
    My son has a 2007 GTI. One of the taillight bulbs burned out and he was charged over $30.00 to CHANGE THE BULB! I was apalled at the charge and want to know how to open the light and switch the bulb out. Additionally, he tried to check the air filter but couldn't find it. Any help for this young man?
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    That is funny, I just overheard a conversation at a service station this morning of someone asking to have a rear light bulb replaced. Quote was about 20 minutes and $35 or something like that, so it looks like that is not unusual.

Your son should crack open the Owner's Manual, which would have saved him some money and learn about basic maintenance.
  • clayhclayh Posts: 6
    Owner's manual always first, secondly, 'google', third is to buy, used if possible, Chiltern's manual. They always pay for themselves.
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    I think an 07 GTI is still under warranty, and defective light bulbs are a part of that.
  • ylzylz Posts: 45
    Hello there. I'm buying a new car and I love the 2009 VW GTI but have heard some TERRIBLE things about Volks' reliability. People that have owned them have told me about all sorts of problems from transmissions to the brakes going. Will someone who has owned Volks please comment on this. Are they well made cars? Now I personally am NOT a fan of german cars just because they spend more time at the shop and have had great cars in hondas and nissans. But what do you guys knows about Volks or the GTI in particular? Anything would help. Thanks.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 701
    I bought the GTI in the first year it came out stateside. Furthermore, I've also had to put it into storage for a full year...

Neither of which is a good thing regarding cars. First year models tend to have more problems than later year models... and storing a car for long periods of time is never good on a car.

Yet, outside of a few recalls... I've only had two problems happen:

1. The engine inlet manifold broke (which didn't really effect my day to day driving, it just kept the 'check engine' light on).

2. A rock punctured my radiator. (I can't blame VW for that... but I can blame the gravel truck)

---

Just my two cents.
    http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2007130

Volksagen has about twice as many problems as lexus. That's not much when you really think about it. At 298 problems per 100 vehicles or 3 problems per vehicle. Shrug. Lexus is at 145. The industry average is 216.
  • what i heard about VW is the problem mostly occur on the US based factories. Mainly manufacturing Jetta and Beetles. GTI and all the other models are imported from Germany, they should have a better quality control.

I had my 09 GTI in Aug, so far, it's running fine. But ofcouse it's too early to tell.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,571
    What US based factories?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• There was a factory in Pennsylvania, I don't know if it's still there. And of course they made V-dubs in mexico for years.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Chrysler started building a factory in New Stanton, PA (Westmoreland County) in the 1960s; however, they never finished it, and subsequently sold it to VW in the mid to late 1970s. VW started producing cars there beginning with the 1978 model year, and did so through late 1988 (including the production of a few 1989 models), however, that was when the dollar was very strong against the European currencies, and what with VW struggling with a sales decline, they shuttered the plant and sold it to the state of Pennsylvania. It sat empty for a couple of years and was eventually taken over by Sony. Unfortunately they seem to be having about as much luck as Chrysler and VW did with the facility, and are apparently on the verge of closing it yet again.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Thanks shipo!
  • I got mine 2008 GTI (in Dec. 07) for $24,250. 3.9% for 48 months.

DSG, sunroof, i-pod adapter, monster mats (actually pretty useful in winter or muddy times). 4-door grey.

Update to my car (currently at 15k miles). The dash still rattles a bit, but I'm now used to it. No problems though, and I still love driving it. I got a roof and bike rack (through the dealership) for my mountain bike this summer. Although the rack has worked great, it is extremely noisy, especially with the sunroof open. I'll probably take the roof rack off in the winter time so I can go through the auto. car washes.

One question I have to the peanut gallery, do people change their oil at 5k or at 10k (per service schedule)? I'm at 15k, and my dash tells me I need service. However, it explicitly states in the manual that the interval is 10k after the first 10k miles. My driving is mostly highway, so it won't qualify as "extreme" driving. I called the dealer and they recommened 5k oil changes, and also told me that the service manual is a "typo". I loath dealers.
    Your dealer told you that your manual was a typo? Geez. If you want to have a little fun with them, ask them to put that in writing and then send it to VWoA. ;)

FWIW, the reason your service indicator is recommending service at 15,000 miles is because your dealership didn't reset it for the 10,000 mile increment following the 10,000 mile service.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 701
    I've got a 2006 GTI (Mark V version). At the time I bought it, the dealership here recommended following the manual's service plan.

And so far, they haven't changed their mind about it. IE: oil change/service every 5,000 miles.
    And so far, they haven't changed their mind about it. IE: oil change/service every 5,000 miles.

Funny thing, I suspect that if you actually check your manual, you'll see that only the first oil change (or maybe two) were required to be at the 5,000 mile interval. From there on in, I believe that your manual recommends oil changes every 10,000 miles.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Hello there. I'm buying a new car and I love the 2009 VW GTI but have heard some TERRIBLE things about Volks' reliability. People that have owned them have told me about all sorts of problems from transmissions to the brakes going. Will someone who has owned Volks please comment on this. Are they well made cars?

A bit late of a reply, but I will answer. My two VWs, originally owned, have 270,000+ miles on them since new, with very low cost of ownership, and very few problems. My 1993 Golf has never stranded me, and my 2000 Passat has had only one significant problem, which was that the water pump failed early (common on that model year).

The reliability of cars has increased steadily over the past decades, and so has VW's. It is at a point where in real terms, reliability of most of these cars is almost indistinguishable, and mute as a car buying point. Only magazines and organizations that make a living out of this are trying to exaggerate these minute differences in reliability. The 2.5l-engined VWs have received "recommended buys" from Consumer Reports, and above average ratings. The early MkV GTIs had slightly more problems, but for most of them, nothing serious to speak of. Later GTIs are rock solid. With 2008.5, all have a completely revised engine which so far has proven extremely reliable, wit none of the minor weak spots previously noticed. :)
  • leonfamleonfam Posts: 21
    Looking at buying a 2003 GTI. approx 60k miles. Gonna run it through the standard checks first. Wondered if this group had any comments on specific reliability areas I should watch out for.

Definitely the urban rumor and Consumer Reports ratings suggest that the cars are unreliable. Thoughts? And how can I find out how pricey repairs are compared to a BMW?
    More than almost any other car, late model VWs are sensitive to the type of oil used. If you are seriously considering a used VW, it is extremely important that you look at the maintenance records. If the car has not been fed with an exclusive diet of oil that is certified to meet the VW 502.00 oil specification (or 505.01, which is a diesel engine oil spec that is even more robust than the base oil spec), take a pass.

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0- 023.File.pdf

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Don't buy a used VW unless someone has a gun to your head. You will have problems galore. Buy a Honda instead. Trust me!!!
  • just picked up my 2009 gti. any resources on how to operate the ipod adapter? i'm starting to guess that it's not full integration...
  • I have an order with them for a nav system. Did a lot of research before dropping that kind of cash on a system. Vagnavs seemed to be set up to make the process easy with all inclusive kits and custom programming so that all that is required is a primarily plug and play installation.

There has been one very frustrating problem however, as I was just notified that my order will not ship out right away and that it's going to be a few extra days. I think that everything should have been in stock, ready to program and ship. I had expected to receive it in less than a week, now I will have to wait a few long days more, which is like torture because I'm so eager to get this unit in place.

But if the unit arrives with everything and as the website advertises then it should be a good deal and a great source for OEM upgrade navs.

I will post here when the transaction is complete to give a more complete answer.
    Does it have Nav or not? Nav models need part number 000 051 446 C. Thats the special iPod cable your dealer can order you. The non nav model works like a CD changer. CD's 1-5 are playlists and then CD 6 is your songs. No text on this one. The 09's with Nav with that special cable get full on integration. Even shows the song titles.