Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Yes, I was saying that if they had the button on the wheel change presets, it would change the discs instead of the tracks. If you notice that the track button on the head unit is the same as the seek button.
    I've noticed that sometimes when I go to shift from 1st to 2nd, the shifter sometimes sticks in first gear. It doens't happen all the time, and it just requires a bit of force to pull it out. I thought that I didn't have the clutch depressed enough, but I don't think that's the case. Today just 10 minutes ago, I was slowing down from 40 MPH. I braked to about 15 MPH until I put the clutch in and moved the shifter into first, with the clutch fully depressed. I heard a very weird noise, like the gear was going rubbing, it was a grinding sound. Has anyone else heard of a problem like this? Do I need more clutch fluid of something? Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks

- Anthony
    Here is what I found off of VWs tech site.
    http://tech.vw.com

http://tech.vw.com/pdf/57-95-08.pdf
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 55
    Well, I finally placed my order for a GTI GLX on Saturday. Anyone have experience with and recommendations for Winter 17" tires? I've been poking around Tirerack and Discounttiredirect getting ideas. Thanks.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    The general recommendation is that you get smaller , narrower winter tires, 16" or perhaps 15". Can't see spending the money on 17" wheels for winter tires.
    Thank you. I've been thinking of maybe getting the 16" instead of the 17s, as there's a big difference in price. And, I'll only need them a few months here. At least, I hope so (i.e., I want some snow.)! I probably wouldn't have needed them at all last year. I really do want to try to get some skiing in this year, but last winter really didn't cooperate! I'm leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Alpin tire and a reasonably priced wheel.
  • bonsgbonsg Member Posts: 1
    Can someone who has had a suspension upgrade done to their GTI vr6 pleeeze let me know how you like it, what you did, and if you noticed any problems/drawbacks: Hard ride, uneven tire wear, ect. Or just refer me to so links that would educate me on this subject.

I am going nuts trying to figure out what to do. I don't want to spend 1-2k and be unhappy. But I want to improve the handling.

Many Thanks

Vernon
    I'm going to get some H&R coil overs for my 2001 GTI VR6 in about 2 months. They run about 1000 dollars with H&R adjustable springs and Bilstien shocks. The nice thing about coil overs is that you can adjust how many inches you drop the car. Basically, if you want a soft ride, you should only drop the car 1 inch. But if you want better handling and cornering, then drop the car 2 inches. The more you drop the car, the harder the ride will get. Also, if you are running on stock wheels/tires, then I wouldn't worry too much about a stiff ride because the 55 profile tires that come stock absorb a great deal of bumps in the road. Also, if you drop the car about 2 inches, your camber might be off meaning you'll have uneven tire wear.

- Anthony
    adg44@earthlink.net
    E-mail me if you want some more info
  • dowadowa Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for any information concerning purchase price for the 2001 GTI. I live in the greater boston area and I want to find out what most people are paying for the GLX VR6 around here (I realize that in most places the dealership doesnt budge on the msrp). Let me know if anyone has any info on this subject. One other thing, does anyone know how reliable these cars are in the long run?

Thanks in advance
  • hemant7hemant7 Member Posts: 9
    obviously varies. Dealer won't budge from MSRP but you could try Atamian Honda-VW in Tewksbury, MA where I got mine for 22 even (including 6 disc changer). Also give Tulley Nashua, NH and Mancherster, NH a try...

Email me if you want.. hemant7@hotmail.com
    A salesman at a dealer mentioned that GLXs are going for about $1,300 - $1,500 above invoice here.

For reliability: I've owned 3 VWs and my wife has one, too. A 1983 Rabbit (75,000 miles), an '87 GTI 16V (175,000) and a '97 Passat Wagon (110,000 miles, still have). My wife has a 1997 Passat (65,000 miles, still have). Both Passats have the VR6.

So, that's 4 VWS and over 400,000 miles. Reliability has been very good. Just the standard stuff, to be expected over 20 years and 4 cars.
  • seamus3seamus3 Member Posts: 98
    here's the deal.i have a 1996 subaru legacy sedan. i have put in h&r springs, braces, both front and rear and a k&n filter. it's fun to drive around but it lacks that real pull. i have been considering a 1998 gti vr6. nobody in the subaru part of this place would give me an impartial reason why not to buy a vw. i was hoping someone here could do the same, but for a vw.

thanks
    seamus
  • colintcolint Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about buying a used 96 GTI VR6. I test-drove a 98 which was sweet, but north of my budget. I've found a couple of low mile 96s. Does anyone have comments about what to watch for on an almost 5 year old car? tks
    Does anyone else have the problem on Golf/GTIs where whenever you go over a bump, and you get body flex, that the doors squeek? This is caused by the top of the door rubbing up against the rubber weather striping. To ease this noise a bit, I put silicon spary on the rubber, but it doesn't help too much. VW has tried adjusting the door latch thingy so it will ease the squeeks, but it has done nothing. I think VW should come up with a solution for this problem.

- Anthony
  • hat_trick61hat_trick61 Member Posts: 5
    We had our first real rain here in SoCal yesterday and when I went to open my GTI VR6 using the remote control, nothing happened. Tried using the extra remote and still nothing. Has anyone else had this problem? After I drove to work, the remote locked the car. I didn't leave the power on last night so I don't know what to think.
  • driver36driver36 Member Posts: 57
    I was always wanted to have an eyes on 1.8T GTI but recently I have heard the TMV of Saab 9-3 is selling at $21,000. Well, can someone tells me what your picks? and why?

Thank you any feed back!
  • illinoisjimillinoisjim Member Posts: 2
    Been thinking about a new GTI and would like to know if the 10 year engine warranty also covers the turbocharger and related parts. Also, have read here that most do not like the automatic transmission in the GTI. Why so? Where I live the commute traffic is so bad that a stick is no fun.Fine on the weekends though when you can head out into the country. Your experiences/opinions on automatic vs. manual GTI's would be appreciated.
  • quattrofanquattrofan Member Posts: 3
    I'm the proud owner of a 2000 GTI GLX in black with beige leather interior. I love my car... It's everything I wanted. Unlike the similarly priced competition, it doesn't feel as plasticky as a Chinese toy factory. The interior is class.

The engine is a sweet unit, responsive, yet smooth. It's a pleasure to drive.

I have noticed the following small things, however...

1. My car doesn't feel particularly sure-footed in snow. In fact, it scares me silly. I live in NE PA, and it gets downright scary when there's any accumulation on the road surface. I've currently got the factory Goodyears on the car still, which are all-seasons and might be a good part of the problem... Has anyone had similar issues and did a switch to snow tires improve things any?

2. The interior is great, although, I've noticed an ever increasing number of rattles and squeaks coming from the rear interior panels. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the panels having become looser/less taut from me excessively blaring the Monsoon system to deafening levels...? :)

3. The rear seat, contrary to some of the posts I've seen, aren't the greatest in terms of leg rooms. In fact, they could qualify as some sort of torture technique. Luckilly, my car doesn't have too many backseat passengers.

Otherwise, this is the nicest car I've owned in my relatively short 26 years. I'm hoping that VW releases the 4motion Golf VR6 at some stage before I'll get my new car in 2003, or else it'll be an Audi S4 for me.
  • 4banger4banger Member Posts: 3
    illinoisjim,

I have a Auto and love it! I think most buyers get the 5 speed because it is a sporty car and they want the extra 3/10th in the 1/4mile. Personally I wanted a quick and sporty daily driver because I already have a 12sec Talon for a race car and I need some reliable transportation.

There is some lag off the line with the turbo/auto combination but about half way through the intersection (10mph-3500rpm) the torque really pulls hard and the tires try to break lose. By end of second gear all the cars are specks in the rear view and best of all it is so quite and smooth no one knows your really getting on it. I really love this car stock and when I get a APR chip I am sure it will be a huge improvement with another 40hp and 80lbs of torque.

The best thing is when I am sitting in stop and go traffic I am totally relaxed and unhurried because it is so much nicer that my Talon with a ACT 2600lb clutch and AWD. If you do a lot of commuting and a 14sec time slip isn't your goal then get the auto!!

-James-
    Boostin.com/jmr
  • quattrofanquattrofan Member Posts: 3
    I've seen alot of posts about prices...

I have two dealerships within 50 miles of me, so I just played them against each other to see what they'd offer and see how low they'd go. I ended up paying $21,500 for the GTI GLX with the in-dash CD and the roofline spoiler. If you have the cash, get the spoiler - it does complete the look of the car - and makes it look like the GTIs of old.
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    Anyone know when VW plans to freshen the GTI's styling?
  • augmach5augmach5 Member Posts: 12
    here in seattle..there are zero gti models to be had.. the only one just sold.. it sunrises me that with 4 dealers within 15 minutes.. they have no inventory..voa is adverting heavily on the gti and has no cars to sell..hmmmm..anyway so that supply and demand thing means you will be paying sticker..out here a 1.8t 5 speed with leather and sport pkg..and monsoon is 21,900..im surprised back eat u can get a glx vr6 for that price..just decided to forget the a4 plans as 28+ seems to much to pay for a car..although nice seems burdened alot by the heavy quattro system,,after a chip i know i would be calling apr for the 280 hp turbo package..so i geuss its going to be the gti 1.8t with a quaife..oh but wait..theres none available..maybe i just need the new subaru wrx with awd 2.0 turbo,227hp and 0-60 in 6.1..naw cant buy a subaru..oh well..i will just keep driving my heavily modified a2 scirocco 16v..

later
  • pcurtisspcurtiss Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Silver GTI 1.8T with the leather package and 17" wheels for $20300 + TTL ($1100 under sticker) in Dallas. So they are available and you can get it for less than sticker. So shop around and don't let the dealers push you around.
  • gzarbegzarbe Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 GTI GLS with Monsoon sound, but it didn't come with a CD changer installed. I've considered going back and buying a changer from the dealer, but I've heard it would be quite expensive. Can anybody recommend a 3rd party changer that would be compatible with the factory VW stereo? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.. Steve
  • frylandfryland Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new brick red 2001 GTI GLX. Took it on a trip up north and was disappointed when the trip was over. It is fun, comfortable and economical on gas if you keep the speeds moderate. The big engine doesn't have to work at all at moderate speeds, which I like because I keep cars forever and want the engine to run a marathon. People who really know cars suddenly are checking it out in the office or home parking spot.

My question is whether I should add a spoiler to the back, either for appearances sake or to keep the back down? The dealer suggested that a spoiler may reduce the miles per gallon. What does the group think. I like the look, but do not want to detract from the economy of the vehicle.

P.S. Bought my car in the Balimore area. No GTIs available at the other dealerships in the area, so paid MSRP. I think the car is a bargain in the low 20's anyhow, so I grabbed it when I had the chance.
  • illinoisjimillinoisjim Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input on the automatic vs. manual transmission question. Now I need to find a turbo w/ automatic at a local dealer to give it a go.
  • trapskifftrapskiff Member Posts: 1
    I am torn between the 4-door Golf GLX (doors for the kids) and the GTI (for me!), both with the 1.8t. I understand that the base Golf is now put together in Brazil, but I am trying to verify if the GTI is still put together in Germany or if it too is built in Brazil. This for U.S. delivered cars of course. I'm assuming the German built will be more reliable, comments on that?
  • wordman93wordman93 Member Posts: 36
    can tell you if your car was built in Germany or Brazil. IF the Vin begins with a 9 or a 3 (I think) it was built in Brazil, if it begins with WVW it was built in Germany. My TDI was built in Germany but my friends GLS was built in Brazil. I've had no serious problems with mine and nether has he.
  • augmach5augmach5 Member Posts: 12
    sticker price for gti with 1.8t,sport package,leather is 20,625 with destination charge..so 20,300 is ok.. but not 1100 under sticker..the best i can do up here in washington is 20,450 with all of the above plus monsoon..but then its a two month wait for the car..
  • orange_caorange_ca Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a 2001 VW GTI GLX in the So. Calif. area and discovered they are hard to find at any price. Does anyone know why a car would be heavily promoted and then not produced for sale? I test drove one w/17" wheels that the dealer later told me went for $24,400 ($400 over their MSRP). Wait or give up is the question.
  • germandrivergermandriver Member Posts: 1
    Sorry, but the spellchecker massacred my note. It should say:
    I am currently posted in Germany and got a new VW GTI when I arrived in 1998. I love the car, but expect to have to sell it before I leave because it has European vs US specs. I'm holding out hope that it might be possible to drive the European spec car in the States. I'm told that while the import will not be very problematic, getting replacement parts will be because German cars have metric specs and US cars do not. Can anyone comment authoritatively on this? Should I really give up my hope of bringing my car with me when I come back to the States this May?
  • tfilibertitfiliberti Member Posts: 21
    I am located in the COLD North East and I am
    not the first at my dealership to have the plastic
    hinge on glove box to SNAP! The dealer believes the COLD weather causes the piston to become stiff
    and thereby the glove box door carder to close and the hinge snaps. Luckily my 2000 GI still under warranty
  • garryc1garryc1 Member Posts: 9
    Howdy folks. New to these parts and I'm curious as to whether anyone's "heard" (rumor or otherwise) what changes may be in store for the GTI for 2002. Planning on shopping late summer/early fall. Thanks much!
    VWVortex.com has a report on the 2002s, and there lots of discussions on the changes for the 2002 GTIs ... 24V, 201 h.p., 6-speed, equipped closer to current GTI GLS than current GLX, GLX items available as options, lower MSRP, etc.
    Hadn't been to vortex is awhile. That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for! Now, do I pick up a GLX (if I can find one) before all the "goodies" go away or wait for an '02 with all of the neat new stuff? Nice dilemma! Thanks again.....
  • cirrus3cirrus3 Member Posts: 4
    Also noted the 2002 model year changes on Vortex. Glad to see the Euro 24 valve finally making its way to the States, but sad that there will be no 4-motion. 201 hp is a lot for a front-driver to handle, especially given the relative sloppiness of the Golf platform, sports suspension or not. I suspect VW may be worried that Audi will lose TT sales.

May have to get over my ugly-phobia and go for the Subaru WRX. Shame they can't borrow some plastics from VW...
    Subes are definitely great cars. My wife's got a '99 Outback Limited Wagon and it's been flawless. Took it in today for a scheduled maintenance and the dealer happened to have a WRX that had just been delivered. Well, everything you've read is true, because it's an absolute blast to drive. BUT - and this is hard to believe - it's even more hidious looking in person! It looks exactly like a Neon on steriods that was drawn up by a 10-year-old who was given the "race car I want" assignment in Art class. I can only imagine that the "W" stands for "Wretched." It's a sin that they put all of that sweet machinery under such a beastly skin. I just wish Sube would hire some of VW's design team. There's no comparison! Unless that boy-racer look really floats your boat. Personally, I outgrew that when I graduated high school.....
  • cirrus3cirrus3 Member Posts: 4
    Loved your "10-year-old's race car" description garryc! There is something to be said, however, for "characterful" design, which is so lacking in most new cars today. And the WRX has a purposefulness that is a nice snub to the excesses of certain "ultimate (as in car payment) driving machines".

But those plastics are unforgiveable in this day and age.
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    Hello Everyone....

I would like to know what would be considered a good deal on a 2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6, fully loaded. I'd be looking to buy late this year, maybe early next year. Also, are VW dealers negotiable? I know, for instance, Saturn has that "No haggle" B.S. I currently have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra that I got for 10,900 after haggling the salesman down from 14,000. i was able to have him throw out the detail, destination and any other stupid fees in there. So I'm pushy and usually get my way on car prices ;) No way Im pay MSRP.

However, I have driven the GTI with the VR6 and it is a lot of fun. The car also has potential to be hooked up. Im not a rice boy, so screw the civic and Integra, prelude, celica, etc. Too many of those out there. However, not enough GTI's on the road...well, at least here in Jersey. So any pricing input would be great.

Also, how are VW dealers....anyone have any good/bad experiences to report? Also, any good VW dealers in NJ that anyone would recommend? Thanks a lot!!!

Jay
  • tfilibertitfiliberti Member Posts: 21
    I too have just had this Check Engine, "Emissions
    Workshop I" pop up on my 2000 WV GI LX with 3700 miles. Made apt for May 1 to bring the car in, earliest they could take it, but today
    decided to change the oil/filter myself. After I started the engine, Guess what , NO Check Engine
    lie. Took it for a drive still no Check Engine
    so I hope I fixed it, only time will tell. This would have been my second Warranty Repair after Glove box door had to be replaced for busted hinge.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I wanted to know from gti owners how reliable the 99-00 GLX and the 00 1.8t are? I am looking to get a used car and CR recommends vw but gives them average to below average ratings and I find other mixed reviews elsewhere. Want to get some info from the source.
  • bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    Well I don't have a 1.8t or the GLX (yet) but I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about reliability. Yes VWs are not quite as reliable as Honda or Toyota, but, in my experience, most of the problems that VW owners run into are more along the lines of annoyances than the car not starting in the morning. I have had my VW for 2 and a 1/2 years and my only regret was not splurging for the GTI : ).
  • peglopata1peglopata1 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Golf has automatic locking feature for doors and hatch door. Dealer has removed feature for doors, but says no can do for hatch door. I HATE this feature. Anybody know where or how to stop computer from automatically locking hatchdoor?
  • bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    I am curious if anyone knows what the dimensions of the GTI/Golf are? In particular the width and length of the cargo compartment; including with the back seat folded down.
  • alfaromeoalfaromeo Member Posts: 210
    Ok, I've owned my golf 2001 GTI 1.8t for about a year now and put a ...meager 10000 miles on it.
    First, let me say that I am overall satisfied with the car. The good points first:
    - very comfy car; great for long highway drives - the car is actually quite silent, and the seats suit me very well (6'1'', 210lbs). The engine cruises at low rpms and even doing 80mph there is no excess engine noise.
    - the engine: nothing to say here: typically 'german philosophy' low-rpms, great for passing (great acceleration at speed), but there IS noticeable turbo lag - given the choice, I'd prefer having the VR6 on winding roads - for the fun of it! When you come out of a corner and want to throw those rpms up in a hurry before gearing down, you really wish for a quicker response. It seems like there is a huge flywheel spoiling the fun on the 1,8t. This HAS to be my main criticism of this engine. Effective, yes. Comfy, yes. But it does not give me any particular kicks.
    One great feature in winter is the anti-spin system which works wonders. I have passed countless SUVs on icy uphills where I could inch my way past them in 1st gear, my foot all the way down on the pedal (I just had to try it out): a chip regulates the power to the wheels, so you can relax and smile at other frustrated drivers. At the touch of a button you can disengage the system. I still remember a lady in a bmw740 who looked so disgusted at me, having spent three times the money, only to have to leave the car and walk home (she didn't look friendly enough that I make the detour!)

An oddity: in cold weather, the GTI makes quite a few squeaky noises - which disappear completely around spring time.

The car is actually quite heavy, and in my opinion, this is detrimental to the 'GTI SPIRIT'. The first GTI's with only 110bhp were a lot more fun to drive, as they weighed what? - 40% less? For true GTI spirited, i.e. affordable hatchbaks, hey, you'll have to look away from the US shores. Peugeot comes to mind, but there are countless others that unfortunately aren't sold in the US.

Driving a GOLF GTI is not a solitary pleasure around here in NJ as they seem to have multiplied like crazy over the time I've had the car. They are everywhere, in all colors and models.

Funnily, at red lights, the car doesn't provoke other compact 'racers' whose drivers usually give me the nod. The people who (sometimes) taunt me are typically two-door SUV owners (mainly Ford explorers - for reasons still mysterious to me). When I'm in the mood for it, I teach them a lesson about physics and inertia. They are really full of it - inertia that is!

So all in all, a very good little car that can pack plenty, will still look good and sell at a premium in a year or so, and which I can warmly recommend to potential buyers looking for fun but not wanting to sacrifice comfort and practicality.

Would I buy a VW again? yes, absolutely. Other cars that I might consider for different reasons:
    - Audi S4 Avant
    - BMW M3 if my stock options end 'in-the-money'(!)
    - BMW M5 if I win the lotto!!!
  • pencilholderpencilholder Member Posts: 4
    well, went into the dealer to try and join the circle of vw owners. i was looking at a 2001 silver gti gls, loaded w/ the 5-speed tranny. 17" wheels, monsoon, leather, 6-disc changer. i was quoted $21,526. should i take or keep pushing?

thanks!
    j.
  • airpenny1airpenny1 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone here have experience buying a GTI in the San Francisco Bay Area? How much over the invoice should I pay for a GTI? The dealers in the Bay Area say it's rare, so they can't discount it too much. So should I pay a little more because it's harder to find?
  • pencilholderpencilholder Member Posts: 4
    hey folks, just got a 2001 gti gls. fun!

got a question. are the back floor mats supposed to have snaps too? mine don't. :(

thanks
    j.
  • jettalover2jettalover2 Member Posts: 9
    Hey,I am looking to change the wheels on my 99 GTI GLS. The wheels I want are on the Green GTI GLX featured in the new car section of Edmunds. If someone has a tip on where to get them, or any other great looking 17" wheels for GTI's, please let me know. Thanks!!!!!
  • jettalover2jettalover2 Member Posts: 9
    I don't think those are the bravo wheels. They look totally different. Are you looking at the green one that is provided by edmunds? It is a GLX. Are those the wheels that come on a GLX for 2001? How much are tires for 17" wheels. Also, do you have any other 17" wheels from vw that you think look good on GTI's?