Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• tfilibertitfiliberti Member Posts: 21
    To Silver Bullet/ Yes I agree Honda's are well put
    together cars. The thing is I don't see Honda giving you are the "features" one can get in a VW. Plus the engines in VW are both more powerful than the Honda. I love the headroom in the GTI and like to see what the new SI hatch will give. I even went without the sunroof in my 2002 VR6 just to get additional headroom. As far as the 17in wheels don't KNOCK them they are a BREEZE to
    keep clean and the Michelins' are better than the original Goodyears'. I love the 17in wheels. Of course I know Honda will provide Michelin as well but probably not 17in. I say it depends on what you can find out there on dealers lots and not have to pay thru the nose for it/ if you can find it at HONDA and not pay a premium than by all means go for it. I'm not knocking Honda or VW, I've owned both.
  • gsgman69gsgman69 Member Posts: 75
    One of the two local dealers here in Austin, TX justed emailed me saying that he could get me exactly what I wanted if he did not have it in stock. That's great news, rickrover, that you got 1300 of MSRP. It thinks that's even lower than Edmunds' TMV price.

BTW I thought that it was interesting that the salesman I talked to had a rather liberal attitude towards customizations and the warranty. He mentioned "chipping it" and when I probed further he said there is a "don't ask, don't tell" unspoken policy regarding this in the repair dept. I think the car is fast enough - hell I thought the Golf TDI would be good for navigating city traffic - but it is always nice to have the option later on.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The current VW Jetta Owners has been changed to simply Volkswagen Owners. This way all VW models (and owners) are now included in the Town Hall clubs.

Please drop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I've found that Edmunds TMV price is a vague very general guideline at best. The price you pay still depends on your negotiation skills among other factors like if it's the end of the month, etc.. If you are a good negotiator you will be able to do a lot better than TMV.

As far as modifications goes - it depends on the VW dealer, some are mod friendly and some are not - it sounds like you have a friendly one. My VW dealer has no problems with what I've done to my GTI.
  • wolfhousewolfhouse Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

anybody knows how to disarm the 'beep' when you activate or desactivate the alarm? It is utterly annoying.

Thanks

wolfhouse

Gotta love the GTI!!!!!!
    I know the dealer can disable it by reporgramming the remote, I'd like to know how to enable/disable the various features too, it can't be that hard.
  • socal007socal007 Member Posts: 23
    See Spy Shot @thecarconnection.com

Maybe they can make the VW logo a Little LARGER!!!.....

I'd prefer to see it eliminated completely..

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4528&n=158,178&sid=178

• steeler0023steeler0023 Member Posts: 10
    My lease in ending soon, and I am shopping for a car. the GTI VR6 looks good to me but is the GTI 1.8 T better in th elong run ? also, does VW has a bad maintenance history i.e. the GTIVR6/GTI1.8T needs to be serviced all the time ? I appreciate any feed back....also I am looking to spend under 20k. is that possible for a GTI or should I look else where ? I am even considering a used GTi...what do you think ? thanks for your time!
  • gsgman69gsgman69 Member Posts: 75
    Steeler,I told a local dealer I wanted a quote for a silver GTI 1.8t, manual w/ only the 17" wheels. The MSRP for this including destination is 19,860 and he quoted me 18496 plus tt&l.
    I like the newer GTIs b/c of the turbo motor that has been upgraded from last year. I think this is a better package than w/ the VR6. I think VW thinks so too as that is the engine they are putting in their 25th anniversary edition in Germany.
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 55
    I was just at the dealer, and I was surprised that they actually had a GTI with no options. Just the required NE emissions.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    It's hard to find a GTI w/no options, that's for sure. I'm buying a GTI this spring as a 2nd VW alongside my '01 Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T.

I'm going with Leather pkg and 17" alloys, but I can't decide if I should go with the 180 HP 1.8T or the smooth and torquey 12V VR6.

I know with the new VR6 coming out they will be selling 'old' VR6-equipped cars at great prices, and it's still a motor that people love. Anyone driven both that can tell me what they think?
    Thanks.
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    is it just me, or does it look like a honda civic???
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Can anyone tell me whether they stopped offering the nice 3 spoke sport steering wheel on the GTI? I love the wheel on my mom's 01 Audi A4 and would like to get one if it's still available. Thanks.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I'm not sure to tell you the truth.

VW invoice versus MSRP, suprising is only about $1000 difference. Not much room for negotiating.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    The GTI comes with a three spoke wheel if you order the leather package -- without leather, they give you a frumpy looking four spoke wheel.
    The three spoke steering wheel is available on the GTI, it is part of the leather package, the 4 spoke comes with the cloth interior.

The 1.8t is the only way to go IMO, two friends of mine have VR6 GTI's and my 1.8t eats them for lunch. One really regrets not test driving a 1.8t when he bought his VR6 GTI. He's chipped his VR6, installed a cold air intake and low restriction exhaust - My 2002 1.8t GTI with a few modifications - turbo air inlet, downpipe and K&N air filter (in the factory box for about 200 HP now) absolutely blows his doors right off. I'm waiting to accumulate more miles before I chip my GTI, that will add another 30+ horsepower (to 230+ HP) and take the torque to 235 lbs ft. Way out of the VR6 GTI league.
    Well, that bites. I don't really want leather but really want the 3 spoke wheel. Then again, I have lived with a 4 spoke wheel on my 84 Rabbit GTI for the past 7 years, so maybe it won't be so bad. Thanks for the input.
    Man, I love the 3-spoke wheel on my Jetta Wolfsburg. So much that I think I'll have to shell out for leather pkg on the GTI I plan to buy soon just to get the 3 spoke.
    Ordered my new '02 GTI 1.8T this weekend. Thanks to Edmunds advice on pricing and negotiations, I got a great price, way under TMV.

I'm a 2 VW guy now, love these cars!
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and glad to hear that you negotiated a great deal. So how long will it take to arrive? Look forward to hearing all about it.... Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    Should be here in a week according to the dealer, it's at port now. Can't wait! Hatchbacks are great, so practical and easy to live with. Thanks for the reply revka.
  • rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    What's up everyone?

I have a few questions that I hope you guys might be able to answer for me. I am looking at buying a GTI. I have been looking at a new car for a very long time, and have not been able to make up my mind about what I want. I like the look of the GTI and the fact that it walks the fine line between a sporty car and the practical side of things. I have never driven a manual, but was looking to learn and buy my first manual. So, for my first question: Is this a good manual transmission to learn on? Is it relatively easy to get the hang of?

Next, I am just coming out of college, and don't want to spend a fortune on maintenance. From your experiences, is this car overly expensive to maintain?

Finally, I went to a local VW dealer and he still had a 2001 GTI GLX (V-6) left over. It was still brand new. It was gold w/ blk leather. What do you think would be a fair price for this? I would guess he's looking to get rid of it and would guess to offer invoice, but am not sure what invoice was for the 2001 model. This will be my first new car purchase, so any advice on where to go for this info, or any advice at all would be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.
    have their slight little quirks to get used to. I've learned manual on a different car (my 88 Camry V6)....from what I've been told, the VW's are easy learners.

The VR6's are manual only. The 1.8T is 5-speed manual or automatic. For 2002, the 5-speed tiptronic automatic is especially nice.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Starting with the 2002 model year, all VWs come with a 4yr/50K mile warranty which is nice (previous years are 2yr/24K).

Also, I believe that any German car is going to be more expensive to maintain than the Japanese or American cars.
    Here's a direct link to Edmunds' TMV Pricing Calculator where you can see the average price people have been paying in your region. This is not the lowest price, but an average cost based on a certain amount of sales over a given period of time.

Also, since pricing varies throughout the country, you may want to let people here know what region you're going to be making your purchase in. Good luck and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    8u6hfd, I was playing around with a manual in the showroom and it seemed pretty easy to find every gear. The only odd quirk that I noticed was reverse, which was down, left and up. It would just take some getting used to.

sunilb, I have a Subaru Legacy sedan right now, which isn't breaking the bank, but isn't cheap either. I just don't want to pay $50 for an oil change, and $200 for a new battery, like my friend did on his A4. I'll probably call around to various dealers and see what they are charging for basic stuff.

revka, I'm in Western PA near Pittsburgh. Thanks for the link. Now I have a better idea of what to offer. I'll let you know what happens.

If anyone has any other help or advice to offer, I need all I can get. Thanks!
  • jpickett1jpickett1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GTI VR6 that I have been very happy with, but I would wait on buying a GTI until the new models start hitting the showroom midyear. The GTI VR6 will get the revamped VR6 that's those lucky dogs in Europe have had for some time. Plus, the GTI will get the new 6 speed manual, which I read is MUCH better than that friggin' tractor tranny in the current GTI.

The suspension will also be tighter and VW will offer the new GTI VR6 without all the fancy (heavy and expensive) equipment.

I have also read that we will get the 25th Anniversary GTI here probably in 2003. It will have the 1.8T at 180 horses, tight suspension 18" wheels, 6 speed, etc. THAT's worth waiting for.
    A decently equippend GTI 1.8T (manual) will run you about $21,000 (MSRP).

If you don't care much for performance and don't mind 4 doors, consider the Golf into the equation also. (I'm waiting for my 2002 Golf GLS TDI right now)
    I couldn't be happier with my 2002 GTI 1.8t with luxury and 17" wheel package. 5,000 totally satisfied miles so far - can't recommend it highly enough.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    And it should be here 2nd quarter of this year. 18" BBS RCs, TT brakes f/r, ESP, M350 (6 speed tranny), and some other little things I don't quite remember.
  • wheeldogwheeldog Member Posts: 39
    Where did you hear that this car will be here in the 2nd quarter of 2002? The article I read indicated that it was in doubt as to when (or if) VW would sell it in the USA, since it is really a 25th anniversary for the German edition.
    Hmmmm. That is the site that had the story I read. Is there someplace else on the site ('News', etc.?) where they formally announce it?

Quote from the full article:

"Great! you're saying, when can we buy it? Well now that we have told you the good news, we have some bad to go with it: the 25th Anniversary GTI is not going to be sold here in North America. . . . Our educated guess is that there is a very good possibility that we will see this model here, maybe even in a couple of variations and sooner than you think (hey, have we lied to you yet?)."

Sounds promising, but it doesn't say anything about 2nd quarter 2002. What am I missing?
  • rfernattrfernatt Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2002 GTI 1.8T (Indigo Blue, beige leather, 17" wheel pkg, luxury pkg) and am enjoying the car. This is my first VW (or European car for that matter) so I'm getting adjusted to some of the nuances.

I do have a couple of questions for current GTI owners about the car:

1) I only have about 600 miles on the car, but am noticing a low pop sound when making sharp turns especially at low speeds (backing out of a parking spot). The wheel is not fully to the lock, but it sounds like the steering/suspension making a sound. Is this normal and has anyone else experienced it?

2) There is a annoying rattle/squeak from the passenger side front seat. Any comments on what it might be and how to stop it?

Thanks!!
    According to Car and Driver, the GTI 25th Edition has a good possibility of coming to US. VW is gauging demand for the upgrades right now. So, if you are interested in this model, I recommend writing VW and expressing your desire to see it here. I personally would love to see the package offered as a Sport option, but without the 18" wheels. I don't have a need for 18" wheels and definitely don't want to spend the big bucks for replacement tires either.
    Thanks for the info. I guess we'll wait and see when it gets here. I've only just started looking at the GTI and the 25th Anniversary edition looks pretty cool, but I really had an ulterior motive. I was hoping that if they bring this car to the U.S. market this Summer, that it might tend to reduce the demand for the regular 1.8T, and allow me to cut a better deal. I haven't owned anything remotely sporty (mostly compact pickups), so I'm pretty sure I could be happy with the stock 1.8T. We'll see how the test drive goes.
  • m3fanm3fan Member Posts: 30
    Don't get your hopes up too high about reduced demand for "regular" GTI 1.8T. Only about 1000 Driver's Edition GTIs should be offered. Not every dealer will get a demo, so you might not have an opportunity to test drive one either. All that pessimism :) aside, I hope you get one! I am holding out for MKV - the next generation platform. Hopefully, that will make it here by the fall of 2003.
    As you pointed out above, it's not official that VW is bringing DE to North America. But read more posts on VWVortex and you'll soon get a feel that it will happen.
    and congrats on your new 2002 VW GTI! You may also want to post your questions (copy/paste) in the VW Owners Care & Maintenance discussion in our VW Owners Club. You'll find a direct link at the top of this page. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your GTI ownership experience.

Revka
    Host
    and I'll repost my questions under care and maintenance.

This GTI is a fun little car and I'm glad (so far) that I chose it over the P5 and Elantra GT, although both of these cars had their own unique appeals.

I told my wife that the GTI is the CRX Si I couldn't afford when I was in college. Just crank up some Journey or Def Leppard tunes on a twisty West Virginia backroad and relive a little of the 80s.

Thanks again.
    Thanks much 8u6hfd for the link!

It sounds like several people have the same problem. I wonder if there is a way to contact VW directly or see if there is a recall for this issue?

I guess I will have the dealer check it at the first oil change. Maybe they will know something by then.

Thanks again.
    You can check in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see if there are recalls or TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) for your GTI. If you don't see anything listed there, you should also check with your VW service department to see if the manufacturer has any special bulletins (secret recalls) regarding this issue. Good luck in finding a solution.

Revka
    Host
  • kaaliakaalia Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to buy '02, reflex silver GTI, with leather, luxury and 17" wheels. I have been quoted 3% over invoice which is $20740, is this a good price. Edmunds site for this car says there is a dealer holdback, how can I try to work that into the deal?

Many thanks!
    kaalia,

How well you can do depends a lot on where you live and the prevailing local prices. I've just started looking at prices on GTIs too, and one of the local (CT) dealers had one advertised in today's paper for $18,288 (invoice is $17,874). This equates to about 2.3% over invoice for an advertised price - I'm guessing that they might even come down a little from there, so it seems like you might be able to do a little better than the 3% over.

Good luck with your negotiations.
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 02V031000
    Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:ANTI-SKID SYSTEM
    Manufacturer: VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA,INC

Year: 2002
    Make: VOLKSWAGEN
    Model: JETTA
    Recall Date: 02/04/2002

Type of Report: Vehicle

Potential Number of Units Affected: 55000

Manufactured: 10/2000 - 09/2001

Defect Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. SHORT CIRCUITS CAN OCCUR WITHIN THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT OF THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS).

Consequence Summary:
    THIS CAN RESULT IN A FIRE.

Corrective Summary:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ABS CONTROL UNIT. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING LATE-FEBRUARY 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT VOLKSWAGEN AT 1-800-822-8987

www.nhtsa.dot.gov
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    But I'm sure VW will be prompt in fixing it.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    No more Matchstick Red (GTI); new color: Platinum Grey (GTI)
    Standard cold-weather package for all GTIs and Golfs except Golf GL
    Standard side-curtain airbag protection (all GTIs)
    No more red cloth and grey leather (GTI)
    No more VR6 technology package (rain-sensor wipers, auto climate control, auto-dimming rearview mirror) (GTI)
    Four-door Golf GL available in Black, Tornado Red, Indigo Blue, Reflex Silver, Mojave Beige and Blue Anthracite
    No more grey interiors (includes cloth, leatherette) (Golf)
  • nori10nori10 Member Posts: 24
    I was looking around for rear spoiler for my GTI but I only can find them on vw.com accessory page and they cost 265 bucks... does anybody know where I can get them cheaper?? Thanks ;)
  • romhogromhog Member Posts: 8
    I was just told toady that Each store in the US, AS of right now is only getting issued One GTI PER store.
    better put the money down now, even though they are not even made yet, and will be here sometime in May!
    There are 1500 units allocated for the US, and 250 to Canada. This should help you out, straight from our GTI 337 forum on VWvortex:

--------------------------------------
    We've decided to put together a DE GTI frequently asked questions (FAQ) section since many of the same questions are coming up.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LAST UPDATED 03-06-02
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    UPDATE SUMMARY:

02-15-02: Basic FAQ put together.
    02-16-02: Golf V projected release date and 20th Anniversary GTI power questions added.
    02-26-02: Name finalized and purchasing and volume information added.
    02-27-02: Monsoon clarification added - it will not be available with this car.
    03-02-02: Edited Internet sales information under 02-26-02 section and added links to exclusive first photos of the GTI 337 from VWoA.
    03-06-02: Unit production numbers up to 1,750 with 250 more being added for Canada.

Q - When is the GTI 337 Edition coming out?

A - The GTi 337 will be publically introduced at the New York Auto Show at end of March.

Q - How much will it cost

A - The target price was $23,500. It will be less than this though.

Q - How many GTI 337 will be made?

A - Only 1,750 units

Q - What color will they be?

A - Silver only.

Q - So when will it be available in dealers

A - It is scheduled to begin production week 15 (mid-March) and should be available in dealers around the middle of May (give or take 3 weeks).

Q - How is Volkswagen planning on selling these here?

A - There will be a total of 1,750 GTI 337 Edition models produced. VWvortex members will be given the opportunity to submit a sales lead for these cars approximately one week before the public announcement of the GTI 337 Edition. This means that you will be able to go to a specific web address on the Volkswagen of America website, tell them you are interested in purchasing this car, choose a dealer if you like (otherwise the nearest one to you will be chosen) and that dealer will contact you to arrange financing, delivery, etc. We will make a big announcement with the exact date, specific Internet address (url) and more around the middle of March.

Q - Should I get to a dealer and make a deposit now?

A - It wouldn't hurt to find a dealer that is willing to sell the car at MSRP (whatever that may be) and is willing to take a refundable deposit. You will be able to enter the specific dealer you wish to purchase this car from on the website, so if you already know ahead of time who you would like to deal with, that would help. Otherwise, if you go to a dealer and make a deposit now, your dealer should be able to place an order for your car depending on allocations. Some dealers won't have complete information on these cars yet.

Q - So what is the story behind the GTI 337 Edition?

A - Volkswagen AG decided to release a 25th Anniversary GTI in Germany and other places in Europe for 2002. We ran a simple story on our website about this car and readers had immediate response to it asking if VW was thinking of offering it here in North America. We decided to run a poll asking readers if they were interested in the 25th Anniversary GTI and what price they would be willing to pay. Response was overwhelming and Volkswagen of America decided to import a German specification 25th Anniversary GTI to America so they could evaluate the car and see if it made sense to offer it here. We were fortunate to be able to drive the 25th Anniversary GTI and take it to Club H2O International Show for more feedback from VW enthusiasts. Our full report on the 25th Anniverary GTI can be found here.

Q - So what happened next?

A - Volkswagen of America started the process of researching the cost feasibility and logistics of building the car for this market in limited numbers. Since these would be incremental volume cars built in very low numbers there was a good chance this car could be built for this market. Originally researchers came back and said no as the cost targets couldn't be met. Someone at VWoA didn't take no for an answer and asked them to look at it a little closer this time. The front bumper needed to be brought up to U.S. specifications and that necessitated a new lower chin valance unique to this car. The rear seats offered in Europe were two position only with a middle lap belt and needed to be converted to U.S. specification three-place seating with three shoulder harness belts. The exhaust system needed to be tested for sound db measurements to ensure that it would conform to U.S. standards and the list goes on and on. Finally things started coming together, small compromises were made and the 25th Anniversary GTI could be brought over to North America.

Q - So why is it called the GTI 337 Edition?

A - While 2002 marks the 25th Anniversary of the GTI in Germany, it didn't arrive here till 5 years later in 1983. So it didn't make sense to call it the 25th Anniversary GTI here in America, so Volkswagen decided to call it something else - The GTI 337 Edition. 337 was the original code name for the A1 (first generation) GTI.

Q - Will the GTI 337 Edition come over to America with exactly the same equipment as the German 25th Anniversary GTI?

A - Almost. As of right now, the only things we know WON'T be included on the DE GTI are:
    - blacked out headlamps: supplier for U.S. spec headlamps could not retool fast enough to offer these on the Drivers Edition GTI.
    - European gauges with aluminum trim rings: supplier for U.S. instrument clusters could not retool fast enough to offer these on the Drivers Edition GTI
    - rear Recaro stitching: since U.S. spec cars require a U.S. spec seat there was not enough time to retool for the additional stitching on the seats. Instead, the red and black striped cloth on the front Recaro seats will be carried over as inserts in the rear seats of our cars with red stitching to match the fronts. So basically the only difference is that there won't be the Recaro logo embroidered into the rear seats. The two front seats will be Recaros just like the German car.
    - Black headliner: the black headliner will not be included on the DE GTI as we have head airbags that require a different mesh fabric which requires all the plastic pieces beneath them to be molded in black as well. This would add significant cost to the car.
    - Sat/Nav system (which is an option in Germany and was on the car we drove) will be replaced with our standard double-din indash CD/Radio/Tape player
    - Climatronic: For cost savings and because Climatronic is not a necessity in a GTI model, it will be dropped and replaced with standard manual knob controls just like U.S. GLS models.

Q - Otherwise the car will come with all the other cool stuff?

A - Yes. U
    Q - Otherwise the car will come with all the other cool stuff?

A - Yes. Unless it is on the list above, everything else should be coming over as you see it in the photos.

Q - Will it have the monsoon sound system standard?

A - No. Monsoon will not be available on the GTI 337.

Q - Will there be a sunroof?

A - No.

Q - Will there be any other options on the car?

A - Other than the dealer installed CD-Changer, no.

Q - So basically this is a 180hp 1.8T GTI GLS trim level car?

A - Yes. The GTI 337 Edition starts out life as a GLS trim level car but has the following basic changes (plus a few extras):

- 18" BBS RC Wheels with 225/40-ZR18 high-performance summer tires
    - Real sport suspension approximately 1" lower
    - Votex body kit with front valence, side skirts, and rear valence with 3" exhaust tip
    - 1" larger diameter vented front and rear brakes with red powder coated calipers
    - Six-speed MQ350 transmission
    - Recaro front seats
    - Aluminum interior trim
    - Red stitching on steering wheel, shift boot, handbrake knob and seats
    - Special golf ball shift knob
    - Aluminum pedals with rubber inserts
    - Red trimmed floor mats
    - Special exterior retro GTI badging

Q - So if the GTI came over to America in 1983 does that mean there will be a 20th Anniversary GTI for 2003?

A - Most likely yes. From what we understand VWoA is looking at producing around 5,000 20th Anniversary GTI models. These will most likely be mechanically identical to the DE GTI with the only differences being additional colors, the blacked out headlamps, european aluminum trimmed gauges and numbered door sill plates. Pricing on the 20th Anniversary GTI will likely be higher than the GTI 337 Edition. Since the final specifications of the 20th Anniversary GTI aren't finalized, this information is subject to change.

Q - So should I wait for the 20th Anniversary GTI instead?

A - That's up to you. The cars will be very, very similar with additional colors and a few additional cosmetic items being the only significant differences (that we know of at this point). Pricing will also be higher than the GTI 337 Edition but competition to purchase a 20th Anniversary GTI model will be less if they make 5000 units. Also, the 20th Anniversary GTI will be a delayed 2003 introduction (see below).

Q - So when will the 20th Anniversary GTI models arrive?

A - Right now it looks like the 20th Anniversary GTI will be a delayed introduction 2003 model. This means that the car will most likely be introduced at the North American International Auto Show next January 2003 and available sometime after that.

Q - What new colors will be available on the 20th Anniversary GTI?

A - We don't know yet, but the color poll we ran on this forum back in October of 2001 is being closely looked at by VWoA. The top five color choices in that poll were:

- Jazz Blue
    - Imola/Gingster Yellow
    - Silver
    - Black Magic Pearl
    - Red
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

added 02.16.02

Q - Is it true the 20th Anniversary GTI will have the 24v VR6 or 225hp 1.8T setup?

A - No. At this point the 20th Anniversary GTI will be mechanically the same as the DE GTI.

Q - When will the Golf V be released? Should I wait?

A - The Golf V at this point won't be introduced in America till January 2005 at the North American International Auto Show.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

added 02.26.02

Will we be able to order a car through http://www.vw.com?

A - Sort of... Volkswagen of America is building an Internet "micro site" for the GTI 337. On that micro-site will be a "build your GTI 337" function. After you "build" your GTI 337, look at the specs and price you will be able to submit a sales lead through the website. Volkswagen will either assign you the nearest dealer based on the zip code you entered or you can manual enter a dealer of your choice. That dealer will then call you to negotiate the pricing, arrange financing, delivery of the car, etc. You are not actually buying the car online.

Q - So when will we be able go to this website that VWoA is creating?

A - We expect around the week of March 20th that VWvortex readers will be able to "order" the car before the public through the Internet. We will make a big announcement detailing where, when and how around the 15th of March.

added 03.03.02

Q - Where can I see official photos of the GTI 337?

A - We have exclusive photos of the GTI 337 from Volkswagen of America. They can be found here:

337 - Front View

337 - Rear View

337 - 3/4 Front View

337 - Profile View

337 - Recaro Seats View

337 - Pedals View

337 - Golf Ball Shifter View

When will VWvortex know more?

A - We'll have official photos and the press release for the GTI 337 Edition around the middle of March. We'll also know the final price around that time as well.

Information on the 20th Anniversary GTI will be ongoing as we find out more.