Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• reddogtxreddogtx Member Posts: 4
    Shop around! The first dealer I went to was $259 over Edmonds TMV and was not offering me any better fiancing than what I could get through my credit union which was 5.9% The second dealer I called said they did not make the GTI 1.8T in a automatic! (needless to say I did not go see him!)
    The third dealer I went to offered me the car (with the packages of course..very hard to find one without them)for $120 less than Edmunds TMV.
    They also offered me the better rates that Volkswagen was offering. I am going with the 24 mos at .09% to save money in the long run! Can't wait until Tuesday!
  • finklejagfinklejag Member Posts: 12
    How did you find out about the 2003 colors for the GTI.I been waiting for years for VW to come out with a dark grey GTI in the usa.They have them in europe.That sucks they are getting rid of the climatronic.6-speed 24v VR6 Grey GTI.I can't wait until september.
  • phaedrysphaedrys Member Posts: 37
    A 2002 GTI!!!

I love it....well...almost. The problem is, the clutch squeaks everytime it is depressed or released. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make it stop?
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    For the squeak, get a can of silicone spray and get under the pedal and look for the clutch spring. Hit that with a few shots of silicone spray and your squeak will go away. It will also probably go away with some wear and tear.

Glad you like your car... it's a great car!
  • phaedrysphaedrys Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I just got back from the dealer and they said it needs a new clutch switch, which they ordered and are going to instal on monday. I just didn't want to listen to the squeak for my first weekend with the new car ;) But hopefully that's all it is, and after monday I will never hear it again. Thanks again for the reply!
  • tfilibertitfiliberti Member Posts: 21
    Well I wasn't the only one with this squeak I see.
    I got under there removed the plastic panel down there to get better view and sprayed good old WD-40 up on every place I saw movement including the switch. I also discovered they assembled that cheap plastic panel wrong and left it out of one of it's holders. My car is a 2002 VR6 got it in Nov '01
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    It's called take advantage of the great warranty you have on your car - let the dealer fix it.
  • kartezkartez Member Posts: 48
    VWoA website says the GTI337 will have 16 inch brakes all around.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Sounds like a serious typo. "16 inch" brakes would require HUGE wheels to provide clearance, and would weigh a ton besides.
  • kartezkartez Member Posts: 48
    www.vw.com/gti337/. Check it out and tell me if it is a typo.
    By 16", they mean the brakes need a 16" wheel to fit. Some crazy european measurement thing. The front rotors are 12.3" and the rear are 10.3". They are the Audi TT brakes basically.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    From Edmunds' coverage of the 2002 New York Auto Show: 2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 Edition. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

• dogdoc1dogdoc1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm shopping for an '02 VR6. I've spoken with two dealers, both out of town, since I don't want to work with our local dealer. Dealer A was polite, friendly, non-pushy, offered me a decent trade on my car and an acceptable price on the VR6 that I want. They don't have one in stock, but he assured me that they could order it. Dealer B, who did not seem particularly interested in my business, told me that it was simply too late in the year to special order an '02 VR6, because production has begun on the '03 model, and after checking his computer, told me that the car I'm looking for (colors, options, etc.) is not available at any dealership in the region, nor is there one at port or at the factory. However, Dealer A still assures me that they can order the exact car I want. My preference, obviously, was to work with dealer A - my discussion with them was the most positive car shopping experience I've ever had. FYI, I'm female and went to the dealerships by myself. But, if they're just shining me on about being able to order the car, I'm going to be really ticked off. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    I would suggest you send VW an email directly to find out for sure.
    My guess would be that production of the '02 VR6s have stopped, the '03s are supposed to be at dealerships within the next 4-8 weeks.
  • frntwhlrfrntwhlr Member Posts: 3
    Picked up my first vw a couple weeks ago. 02
    (1.8t)black gti 5 spd with black cloth, 17" wheels, sunroof & monsoon system w/cd changer in back.This thing is alot of fun to drive! I do
    have one question. I thought the dealer said the
    car had a rev limiter on it, but can't find anything in the manual about it. Can anybody
    help?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    when in say 1st gear, rev it until the engine cuts out (in the red zone of the tachometer). If you constantly do it, it's a quick way to ruin the engine
  • ril1297ril1297 Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of buying 02 GTI 1.8T. However, heard a lot about driver and passenger windows falling
    down into the doors, on 2000 models (Bazaar..), and squeaks in the dash and seat areas.

Has anyone experienced this in the 01 or 02 models yet?
  • gsgman69gsgman69 Member Posts: 75
    I've had my 2002 GTI 1.8t since Feb. 10 and have almost 2k miles on it. No squeaks so far anywhere. The emission system light is the only abnormality so far.

Anyway great car I think you'll find that it can meet all of your needs - I know that I'll never buy a normal sedan again.
    Just a dash rattle
  • xjoelxjoel Member Posts: 4
    about purchasing a 02 or 03 VW GTI 1.8T for my son. I just wanted to know if this would be a good car for a 17 year old as this is really what he wants.
    Thanks
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    I wouldn't give a 17 year old a turbocharged car. Something along the lines of a used family sedan would be more prudent, as his insurance rates will be relatively high.
    I believe the redline for the 1.8T is 6400 RPM, but I'm not quite sure. On my VR6, my redline was moved to 7100 RPM with my chip.

My drivers side window reg is about to fail. The window is rolling up VERY slowly and I will one day have the window fall into the door. VWoA is covering these after warranty because it is a known POS part. Just call up customer care and open a case number.

- Anthony
    It's a good car. Requires lots of oil changes.

Watch out for the 17 year old spending a lot of money on it, as the aftermarket for it is huge.
  • davio1davio1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone relate their experience with their 1.8T in a warm weather environment? I'm moving to Macon, GA (not by personal choice) and am worried that running the A/C on the 1.8T will cause overheating problems. Years ago I had an '84 Jetta that ran very hot with the A/C full blast.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Running the AC should have no effect whatsoever on the engine's temperature. I don't own a 1.8T, but both my brother and mom have an 01 Audi A4 with the same engine in central and south Florida and they have no problems with overheating. I own an 84 GTI (same AC system that was on the 84 Jetta) and have never had a problem with running hot while running the AC (I live in northern Florida about 3 hours south of Macon). In fact, the engine stays slightly cooler then average because the radiator fan runs constantly. There must have been something wrong with your radiator, thermostat, water pump, or switch that turned the radiator fan on. Believe me, it wasn't normal and should not cause you to worry about a much more modern car. The only thing you will need to be concerned about is changing your oil. Heat is the enemy of oil and all that hot and humid air combined with the higher heat produced by a turbo will require that you be religious in changing your oil often.
    As a new owner of a GTI 1.8t I am very pleased with it. It is a great blend luxury, power, stability, utility, and economy. Having said that I would suggest that a 17 y.o. would be better served with a Golf TDI. It has more doors, less power, but will save you on the bottom line price, insurance and gas(42/49mpg). I have a feeling he saw the picture in Motortrend where they are doing burnouts with this car, and was duly impressed.
  • 68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    Anyone have a 2002 GTI/Golf/Jetta that was built after Sept. 2001 that has had any problems with their window regulators (e.g., window falling into the door)? I'm trying to figure out if VW has fixed this problem that has been plaguing pre-2002 MkIV cars. Thanks.
  • nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    I had a 1992 GTI (got stolen) bought a used 87 16v, bought really nice Yokohama AVI 55i 205/55ZR14 tires, then sold it for a 1999.5 VR6. My realization that the tires wouldn't fit the VR6 didn't come until after I bought the car, so now I have these really nice tires that I have no use for. Is there's a selling forum around here anywhere? The problem is they're the oddball size VW put in the 16v mk2s. But they're really nice tires. I realize now I should have gotten bigger wheels and normal (more commonly sized) tires, but alas this is the state of things. If anybody knows where there are mk2 fans in need of this size tire, I'd appreciate it.
    Check out vwvortex.com they have forums for such things - good luck
    Just got my recall notice today 4/13 for the ABS control unit recall. It says unit could overheat resuling in fire. My car is 2002 GTI VR6 but affects some 2001 models as well. Anyone else aware of this recall? took me by surprise.
  • aaron300zaaron300z Member Posts: 19
    Just take your car to the dealer and they would install a new ABS control unit. My friend got his ABS control unit replaced when he went for an oil change. It was a surprise for him because he didn't know about it. He got the letter a few days later.

His car is running perfect !!
    The drive by wire lag is NOT that bad....

If your MAF is bad, reading the wrong amount of airflow, it will cause a LOT of hesitation and these other things you are experiencing. Do you notice a power loss?

You can get a chip to help the drive by wire lag, and I would recommend GIAC www.giac-usa.com

You need to run a VAG scan on the car to see if you threw any DTC faults.

The MAF sensor failure is a COMMON problem with the GTIs... I'm on my second one. :D

- Anthony

P.S. - Do a search in the Golf IV/Jetta IV forum for MAF failure and you'll have 100000 posts to read through. Also, post a new topic if you wish, but I think you'll get the same response as I just gave you.
    I called my dealer today for appt they could not get me in till 4/29!! Worst part was they said I needed to leave car for 6 hrs. I said the letter mentioned only 1.5 hrs but he said they got to bleed the brakes and it more involved?? I called another dealer and he taking me tomorrow and said I can wait for the car. The first dealer has no loaner cars either so I would have to wait around for 6 hrs (they said I could rent a car at Enterprise next door) thanks a lot
  • nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    Thanks for the tip. I'll go look around.
    It's been doing this since the day I bought it, or at least as long as I can remember. Maybe I got a lemon and don't know it, but between the stock suspension (squals around the slightest turns), the broken rear wiper, the climatronic piece of [non-permissible content removed] (this works as designed and is the MOST ANNOYING thing, gimme my three knobs please) and the hesitation, and the slow-let-off-the-gas 'feature', it's just an un-fun car to drive. Certainly not characteristic of my mk2 GTIs. Which I really really miss.
    :-)
  • comgenboycomgenboy Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market for a GTI, and found a used 01 GTI GLX (VR6) with 18.5K miles, leather interior, red exterior, all that jazz. Car is supposed to be in excellent condition. Seller is asking 18,500... TMV says $16.5 or so, so I am wondering what I should offer if this is in good condition.

Also, is there a reason NOT to get a '01, and opt to get a new '02?

TIA
    Tony in Philly
    Have you check Edmunds' Incentives and Rebates section? VW is currently offering some very low interest rates on their 2002 GTI models. You may want to compare the cost of the 2002 vs 2001 after figuring in the different interest rates. Look for a direct link to Edmunds' loan calculator in their Advice section.

One other thing to consider is that VW made some changes to their factory warranty this year. The 2002 bumber-to-bumper warranty and roadside service is now 4 yr/50k miles. Compare that with the 24m/24k warranty on the 2001 models. Others here may have more to add. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I love my VW's - dyed in the wool VW fanatic. But VW does test your patience at times. Did you check that parts4vw website? They seem to have everything for VW's.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    They pushed the horsepower in the V6 engine up to about 201 horses for this year too. Thing is, if you're willing to pay 18.5k for an 01 with a 174 horse V6, you could get an 02 Turbo 1.8 I4 with 180 horses brand new for maybe about 19.5k, and you'll get the full warranty...that's the MSRP from Volkswagen's website, by the way, priced with no options...base 1.8T model with leather seats. I'd take a good hard look at that before buying a year old model....the reason why he's probably trying to sell it (especially now, and for that much) is so he can use the money to buy a new one with the longer warranty and higher horsepower.

So, the short answer is, there's a LOT of reasons to just get an 02 instead of settling for an 01...especially at that price....I wouldn't even pay the Edmunds TMV for an 01 GTI...they just made so many changes to bring it into 02 that the 01s should take a BIG price hit to compete...and they haven't yet. I personally wouldn't pay more than 14k for an 01 considering how cheap the 02s are and how much I'd be giving up as far as warranty and horsepower.

Wait...that wasn't short. Ok, the question was "is there a reason NOT to get a '01, and opt to get a new '02?" The answer is "Yes, several of them." :)
  • stranacstranac Member Posts: 1
    As owner of 1994 GTI I HAD SOME PROBLEMS AND I NEED CHEAP PARTS. lIKE FENDER , BUMPER AND RADIATOR. IF SOMEONE HAVE ANY OR KNOWS WHERE CAN I GET THE
    v_BRANKO@beograd.com,
    thanks
    Thanks for the advice! I went to the dealer last night with my fiancee, and they quoted us the following (which I think might be high):

'02 GTI, 1.8T; Leather interior; luxury package; destination and NE emissions.
    Total price -- 21,200. That is after a "$500 discount" because of the company my fiance works for... What do you guys think? W/ taxes, tags & license it is like 22.6 or something.

Also, I want the Green Rave with a leather interior, and it seems like all the ones in the area are the trendy silver color...
  • noookiddinnoookiddin Member Posts: 3
    I am in a market for a new GTI 1.8T 2002 model. But my friend told me that the 2003 model will be out in September of this year. Does anyone know if there are any reason to hold out until the 1.8T 03 model? I hope the upcoming model is within the same price range as the 02 model.
    Is that with an automatic or manual transmission? Also, since pricing differs from region to region, I think it would be helpful if you let people know what area you will be making your purchase in. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    I am in the burbs of Philly. I am going to a dealer tonight that has the green rave w/ leather and luxury package. Manual tranny, 1.8T. I think they are asking $21,875. TMV from edmunds in my area is $20,550 with those options, invoice is $19,764. I am wondering how much to try to negiotiate for...

Thanks again!
  • noookiddinnoookiddin Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the 2002 model still has the windows drop down and other problems older user had?
    That's about what they are going for. They won't discount much because of the high demand.

The 02 VR6 201HP isn't out yet... only the 12v 174 HP is. The 24v should hit in about a month...
    If there are a number of GTI's available in your area, then you have a little bargaining leverage, imo. Personally speaking, I would have no qualms offering well below Edmunds' TMV and seeing where the dealer goes from there. Of course that's just my own personal style.

One thing to consider with Edmunds' TMV is that it's an average price over a given period of time; it's not the highest price paid, but it's also not the lowest. The exact number will boil down to your own negotiating skills. Speaking of which, Edmunds' has a number of buying articles that you may to check out. To start, here's Negotiating 101. I also recommend "10 Steps to Buying A New Car" which can be found in their Advice/Buying section. Hope this is helpful.

Revka
    Host
  • turbonium13turbonium13 Member Posts: 4
    Have you tried going through someone like Autobytel.com? I've bought two vehicles using them and don't plan on buying a car any other way again, if I can help it. They put you in touch with a fleet manager or internet sales manager. The guy opened up the books and showed me what the car cost and then told me he wanted to make $400 on the deal. The good news, he was fully authorized to make any deal, so there was none of the "I'll go run this by my manager" B.S..

It doesn't cost anything to check it out.
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    owner of a 1.8T silver w/ gray leather GTI, lux&leather pkg MSRP $21,600. Bought mine from a large denver area dealer for $19950 + tax out the door(0.9% for 24 mon through VW), minus the $13,700 trade-in for my 99 accord. The honda was a great car, but really missed shifting my own gears. So far I love the car, and I'm sure I'll love it even more after 2,000 miles, when i'll push it more. I'm thinking that it'll require a tad more maintenance than my honda, but not much more. I was looking through the manual and couldn't see a drain interval for the coolant? Does it need to be changed ever?(per VW) and how about the Tranny fluid?? Also, where is a good place to buy OEM filters and accessories on the web?? Thanks
    and thanks for sharing the details.

Coolant interval & accessories: You may also want to post your questions in the Accessories and Maintenance discussions in our VW Owner's Club. Also, while you're there, please take a moment to say hello in our VW Owners - Meet the Members discussion. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. We look forward to hearing more about your GTI experience. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Is a lifetime synthetic fluid, most people never need to change it.

I however am getting a whole new tranny on my 01 GTI VR6 because well... I blew up my differential. :D

As for OEM parts, check out www.parts4vws.com . Mike runs that company and his customer service and prices are amazing... great guy and I try to buy most of my stuff from him.

Anyways.... here is a picture of my car, just cause I took this last week and I feel like posting it. :)

- Anthony