Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    I know they're redesigning the Golf platform, though I don't know how long it will take for the redesign to get to the US. Found this Italian website that had some stuff on it, but there's no date on it:

http://www.omniauto.it/home/golfv.htm

From what little I could manage to get out of it, the Golf platform might get Audi's Multitronic tranny and a shot at 4Motion...wondering if anyone has heard anything further? TO be truthful, I like the look of the current one better, but if next year I can get a GTI with a Multitronic CVT and/or 4Motion, I might consider waiting, even though the current GTIs will proably be pretty cheap.

I'm thinking WAY in the future here, I know, but I like to think ahead and plan things out.

• nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    I highly HIGHLY Highly recommend carbuyingtips.com
    Everything you want to know about buying a car. I save $2000+ off msrp on a subaru a few weeks ago. Take the time, read the 7 chapters and save yourself some real money.
  • noookiddinnoookiddin Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the tips. I went to the website and it's awesome. After looking for a short while, I got my 5-spd 2002 GTI 1.8T with luxury package for only $19600. That price includes tax, tags, and everything else. I couldn't be happier.
    Since it's my first time driving a 5-spd, I still need to get the hang of things, but overall I love it.
  • aloalo Member Posts: 35
    Does the 1.8T engine require premium gas? Anybody tried using reqular (87 Octane)?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Yes, it requires premium gas for maximum performance.

You can use regular, at the cost of performance (it has knock sensors, when when knock is detected, the timing is retarded).
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    ...for the engine if it keeps having to retard the timing.

Save your engine, use premium gas... it will save you money in the long run.
  • fleisigfleisig Member Posts: 1
    does anyone have a good idea when the 200 hp v6 is due. any word on pricing? will it increase?
    AND
    if I can't wait what is the better choice v6/174 or 1.8
    ...will be available in the GTI towards the mid/end of summer. I can't wait!

It's currently in the Jetta... just very limited.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    would find more experts (or at least people acting like them ;-) over on VWVortex.com

Better chance of finding the answer you're seeking.
    I shall check this out.
    I guess vwvortex is the center of the vwuniverse. I'll take note of that.
    on vwvortex... your maf is bad. :)
    help you out. Figure they could. Lots of VW knowledge over there.
    So I went to vw.com and it just screams of marketing. I guess that's what you have to do to sell cars. Well, I dropped their service dept a note, we'll see if they wanna help me out or if this will be the last GTI I ever buy.

While I was there though, I looked at the 337. Hmm... Looks nice, but it seems to be mostly trim (Except for the 6 speed.) Why not a bigger engine or something. Well, okay, wheels and suspension too. And it's still cheaper than my subaru, actually it's cheaper than my vr6. I'm still kind pissed about that. I bought my vr6 3 years ago, with all sorts of crap I didn't want because they weren't options. I hate leather, didn't need a moonroof or that god damned climatronic (what I wouldn't pay for three damn knobs) And now you can by the vr6 without all that stuff for less than I paid *THREE YEARS AGO*. argh.
    Oh well. I can't complain. I do, but I shouldn't. I whine to people and they tell me "so sell it." but the fact it's it's still a well above average car, I just was hoping for perfection....

Nixo (now all I want is a working MAF) Mose.
    did you go to VWvortex.com or VW.com?
  • curlyshempcurlyshemp Member Posts: 2
    To Joe249: I live in Maine as well, and when I went to my local VW dealer, and spoke to the salesman who sold us a new Passat a few years ago, he was uninterested in locating a GTI for my wife. His reason: "There's not much profit in the Golfs." Needless to say, I dropped him like a bad habit and went to the next dealer an hour from us. After special ordering a couple of weeks ago, we take delivery of a loaded GTI today. Dealers in Maine can be less than accommodating at times; a lack of competition tends to breed bad attitudes.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Well, the 337 does have the same engine as the 1.8T, but the mechanical upgrade list is fiarly extensive: lowered/stiffer suspension, 18" BBS wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40-series rubber, six-speed, bigger brakes, and stainless sport exhaust. And the trim list isn't bad either: Recaro seats, Monsoon stereo, Votex body kit, golf ball shifter, and various alum interior trim bits and stiching. I don't have the exact price comparison between this and a standard 1.8T GTI, but I think you get all this for about $3K extra, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

- Mark
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I have 7500 miles on my heavily modified 2002 1.8t GTI with no problems - a clutch at 6500 makes me think you are driving the holy hell out of it. Abused cars aren't reliable.
    Don't you dare let them charge you for scanning your ECU.

I just hope your first shop didn't clear the DTCs.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    To Curlyshemp,thanks,but what dealer did you go to? I went to Clair in Saco and Rowe in Auburn and they did not have a car to test drive and recommended I do so before buying. Also,they could order car. I think I would pay top dollar as they are hard to find and sold the minute they come in.
    Clair VW couldn't be bothered.I 'd drive a hour or so if I,m treated with coutesy.Times must be good.
    It seems they'll diagnose the car for free as long as I pay them the $35 first. (at least it's not the $60 I heard it would be)

I'm going to get my money back though, because I have a reciept from the first place from not a week ago.

They did clear the error codes, but the light came on again the next day. So I'm sure it's going to say the same thing.

I'll let you know on wednesday...
  • aloalo Member Posts: 35
    Should I wait for the 03 model with the stability program?
    VW is constantly upgrading their cars - you just have to jump in at some point and realize they are always adjusting, upgrading, tweaking - 02, 03 - it's your call - how important is the stability program feature to you? It's nice that VW is including a feature that is usually only found on much more expensive cars. You won't see the stability program show up on 03 cars on a certain date - these sorts of equipment differences start filtering into the dealers over time. My GTI (now 7 months old) had the new head unit with CD player - a lot of other GTI's on the lot had the old head unit. The 2000 Passat I had didn't have a cruise control light, other 2000's built a month later did, wierd stuff like that.
    They should check and see what is causing the error codes... you can't just clear them and expect the problem to be fixed. Some of these dealers.... Tools.

- Anthony
  • petp13petp13 Member Posts: 1
    i absolutely love this color. ive seen that it is offered in europe and would like to know if vw is gonna offer it here in the usa in 2003. im planning on getting a gti and putting a projektzwo body kit on it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • centarforcentarfor Member Posts: 22
    I am checking out used 2000 year GTIs. What kind of engine do the 1.8T's have. Is it the one with 180 or 150 hp? Does anyone know if you can get a four door Golf with the 1.8T or VR6 that was made in 2000?
    The 180-hp motor only occured in 2002 models. However, you can generally upgrade the 150-hp motors to 180 (or more) fairly easily.

Can't help you on the 4-door question. You might try posting on www.vwvortext.com.

- Mark
  • sizzla123sizzla123 Member Posts: 18
    I'm looking at a 2002 GTI. Will probably get it without the monsoon system, since it might be easier to upgrade without the monsoon. I've heard that current VW's are very hard to upgrade in terms of audio, due to the wiring ect..something about the K-wire. Can someone clarify this issue for me? Will I be able to change the headunit and speakers on a GTI fairly easily? Thanks
    I don't know what VW calls it, but other mfgs call it Electronic Stability Program or something like this. It is a system that senses whether the car is starting to spin (by comparing the steering wheel postion and the rate the car is yawing) and attempts to modulate the throttle and brakes to get the car under control. It's another safety net system like ABS but one for losing directional control.

My understanding is that while the GTI has both ABS and traction control, it doesn't have this, but it is widely rumored to be added for the 2003 MY.

- Mark
    The 1.8T has three different versions:

2000 - "AWD" k03, 150hp
    2001 - "AWW" k03 sport, stronger internals, 150hp
    2002 - "AWP" k03 sport, diff. cams, diff. ecu, 180 hp

- Anthony :)

AFAIK, the GTi 337 and the Jetta GLI, and the Turbo S beetle both have ESP.
    Go without the monsoon if you want to upgrade.

The K-wire needs to be cut if you have an aftermarket head unit.

The monsoon has an amp/crossover in the trunk of the cars. If you want to upgrade the speakers, you will need to remove the amp, all the wiring and start from scratch. It's easier if you just have the regular system if you want to upgrade.

BUT, what I did was keep all the monsoon stuff (as it is decent for mid/high) and I got an Eclipse head unit, Phoenix gold amp, and two 12" Eclipse subs and kep the monsoon stuff with crossovers to just handle mid/highs and got the subs to handle all the bass. The system sound amazing!

- Anthony
    on vwvortex...
    I had the dealership check out my GTI (as per instruction by VWOA) and $35 later, they told me it was the MAF, just like I told them.
    VWOA called me and said they couldn't help me. So I asked for my money back for the checkout they asked for. They said they couldn't help me.

My vernacular is limited in ways to accurately express my mood about this.
    This is VW's biggest black eye - customer service after the sale. It is such a mixed bag, it totally depends on the dealer - some are merely good, some are horrible, I have yet to experience world class customer service from VW.
  • saintcabbagesaintcabbage Member Posts: 1
    Complete newbie as far as the GTI goes, but heard a lot of good things. I have a new M3 and I commute over 80 miles in my Passport SUV. You can see the problem, looking for something fun that is a tad more useful that a 13 MPG truck. Looking to get a new VR6, can someone just point out things I should be looking for. Is the VR6 worth the extra money? What options are overpriced, etc....

Also, best dealer in the Washington DC area?

Thanx, feel free to email me directly, saintcabbage@yahoo.com
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    You already have a M3 (all your fun is here)....get a Golf TDI for the commute. Might be suprised about how it drives.

But if you still want a decently fast car, the 1.8T just as nice. The VR6 gives you some options you can't get on the 1.8T, such as automatic climate control, multi-function computer, etc. Add a chip to the 1.8T, easy 200 bhp at the crank.
    I was a sucker who bought a vr6 mkIV when it first came out, so I got all those options (that I didn't want)
    I personally hate leather in my cars, you slide on it too much. My jeans stick to cloth much better.
    The climatronic is counter-useful and just generally evil. You can't MAKE it blow a certain temperature of air. in certain conditions it will either blow HOT HOT HOT or COLD COLD COLD and nothing in between. avoid this engineering disaster.
    the heated seats are nice (might be leather only, I dunno) but probably not worth spending money on in my opinion.
    I prefer the vr6 over a turbo, just because you get smooth accelaration from 1500rpm on up (vs the 1.8T) but if it's mostly highway, and you're just commuting, go with what's cheaper.
    Anthony, I don't think the 337 gets ESP, but you're right, it is on the current Turbo S, GLI, and I think all the new 201-hp VR6 GTIs. Most upper end models get it in 2003 and it is an option on virtually everything else.

I hope I'm wrong about the 337 not having it (I have one coming), but the info I have is that the 337 is mechanically a vanilla GTI 1.8T except for the brakes, suspension/sway bars, wheels, exhaust aft of the cat, and six-speed.

- Mark
    I just ordered one $2225.00 +$149 fee + $ 24.00.
    However,The type S RSX was the best thing to drive in the world. I goofed by taking my wife. When the salesperson told me to shift into second and take it up to 8000rpm's she screamed noway not this car. Man I was doing 68mph and 90 in 3rd before I knew it ,scared her to death.What a car I would get a ticket a day,but I loved it.
    Well ,here I am with a GTI hope I like it.I'm 62 and next to sex The RSX Type S comes close.I've been smiling for two days.
    The RSX is definitely the racier car, a little faster, and probably a little more exciting to drive. And you've got the immpeccable Honda built quality.

I was pretty much set to get one until the 337 came out, which to me, solved the big problems with the 337 (floaty handling and too-pedestrian looks) while retaining the strong points (great 1.8T torque motor, comfortable and clean interior, and great utility with the boxy hatchback design - almost a station wagon).

But, I'd still be getting the RSX if pure handling and excitement was all I was after.

- Mark
  • bpibpi Member Posts: 120
    "I've been smiling for two days."
    From what? Driving the RSX Type-S? Are you sure?
    I'm reading the small print the lawyers want you to read on 337 card as they don't have a portfolio printed yet. It says front and rear vented disc brakes.312mmx22 vented front and 256mmx22mm vented rear w/red calipers.Are these ABS?
    Also tires are noiser and made for summer use and you should switch to a winter tire with proper rims.
    In short I thought the 337 was an upgrade of the GTI and had ABS and a little more.
    Except for the add-ons, the 337 is a GTI 1.8T; thus, like all GTI's, it has ABS. (Traction control also, but no ESP.)

The list of add-ons I gave earlier but it is basically wheels, tires, suspension, Votex bodywork, six-speed, manual cloth Recaro seats, Monsoon stereo and different interior trim including a "golf ball" shift knob. There are no options, so no sunroof, leather, nav, xenons, etc.

You can have any color as long as it is silver.

- Mark
    Recaro's, the M350 slick shifting 6 speed, full Audi TT brakes around, BBS RC 18s and a full 337/Votex body kit.... oh well. :)

It's just not for some people. :/
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    if VW offers "crate" engines for sale, either through dealers or independent sources?

My buddy has been researching engines for a dune buggy racer, and he has long been a fan of the VR6. He thought about getting one, but would rather have the DOHC 2002 version. Price is not an issue really, as he is prepared to spend up to 4500 on the engine, possibly more if the engine is brand new.
    You mean he wants the 24v.

I know Momentum Motorsport in Canada (eh!) gets lots of 24v VR6s. I'm sure you won't have a hard time finding on in Europe somewhere, as they have been out there for a little bit.

- Anthony
    A friend of mine that has a 2001 VR6 GTI test drove the 24v VR6 and was thoroughly impressed.
  • frenchnolafrenchnola Member Posts: 1
    I am really interested in buying the new VR6, but I was offered a good price on a 6 month old model (about $2500 less) with 4000 miles on it. Are the 200hp and 6 manual speed worth the extra money?
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    on the handling? How about VR6 versus 1.8T?

I have heard the 1.8T handles much better, but I am absolutely in love with the new VR6. It is probably one of my favorite engines on the market. Does it really ruin the handling though?
  • tfilibertitfiliberti Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2002 GTI VR6 (2 valve) and my question is Climatronic. Anyone figure a way to program a different temp than the 72 deg which it defaults to? I find if I turn it off than later turn back on it's back to 72 and I have to hit cooler,cooler,cooler till it's back to "LO" .
    I find the A/C with recirc on doesn't blow out COLD unless it down to "LO". I believe it is being partially heated. That's why I feel the manual system is better. Also I've found on cooler mornings with windows open I feel HEAT out of the vents cause climatronic back to 72 deg so I turn it ON bump it down to "LO" and turn it off to stop heat blowing thru vents, of course recirc will do same thing. But with windows open I don't mind wind forced air thru the vents as long as it isn't heated :-) That's why I'm not that great a fan of Climatronic either !
  • oscarkatoscarkat Member Posts: 3
    I test drove both the VR6 and 1.8 T. I think they both handle great. I would test drive both your self. If you like the handling of the VR6, buy it. I love my VR6 but I had considered the 1.8 T. I had a Jetta loner car with 1.8T with an automatic and I hated the combo. The Turbo is fast but it is a handful in heavy city traffic. It is definitely a turbo. I prefer the VR6 w/ manual in DC traffic my self. Anyway I would drive them both.