Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• cyber_thugcyber_thug Member Posts: 3
    i just wrecked my car ( actually my wife was driving it) anyways i have to fix it myself... the damage is not alot ( just body damage,hood,fender etc..) anyways i can't find any after market or any used parts, all i can find is new parts...and beleive me the new parts cost alot and i mean alot..so i am trying to find a wrecked car so i can buy or used parts so i can fix my car......
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    I would try to find an auto recycler that either specializes in VWs or import cars in general. You'll be surprised how many low mileage cars (for their particular model year) wind up there (cars that were wrecked during the first year of ownership). You will more than likely find good parts that you need for a fraction of what the dealer (or auto parts store) charges.

It has worked well for me in the past... :shades:
  • vwvictimvwvictim Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. Both seats handles broke off so you just sit there and the BAM you fall back. Just another crappy feature of the Volkswagens. Mine has completely fallen apart. It only started 4 years after owning it.

Here are the common problems I have seen with VWs

1. Big electrical problems that affect power locks, turn signals, stereo, and most expensively, the alternator, battery and air pump (ive had 4 alternators and 2 secondary air pumps in a span of 4 years)

2. Everything starts to fall apart. Side Moldings on Passats and Golfs are always missing. havent you noticed?

3. Leaks in the car. My whole trunk and back seat was flooded once when it rained and no i had no windows open.

4. Things just fall off....such as the molding and the seat adjustment dial.

Avoid VWs because they are money pits.
  • vwvictimvwvictim Member Posts: 2
    Oh theres nothing BUT smoke baby. VWs are a nightmare.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I owned a Jetta 1.8T. I had electrical gremlins. Parts in the interior broke. The engine had issues too.

I'd still buy another VW/Audi before anything made by Toyota, Mitsu, MB, american car companies, english car companies. I'd rather put up with niggling issues and have a car i like. It's illogical but so be it...

BTW, I do not currently own a VW. I own a Mazda and a BMW. But Audi/VW is high on my list for replacement cars in 06.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Just curious....How's your 330 doing? Any problems?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    My left front turn signal is flashing the parking light portion of the bulb instead of the actual turn signal part. Since the wrong part of the bulb flashes, the relay thinks there is a burnt out bulb and flashes quickly. This fast flash of the parking light is so dim that it can't be seen during the day. All other turn signals function normally. The bulb only goes in the socket one way and I tried switching the bulb from the working right front side and it did the same thing. Is this a relay messing up, a combination switch issue, a bad socket, or messed up wiring? It was working properly up until about 6 months ago. The plastic inside the socket is crumbling in places but it doesn't look like the metal contact areas are affected. By the way, the emergency flasher flashes at a normal pace, but the left front is still only flashing the parking light. Any insight would be much appreciated as I can't stand when lights aren't working properly.
    How's your 330 doing? Any problems?

So far two big problems, rest were small - e brake had to be replaced and the ignition coils gave out causing the engine to run at half power and about as rough as a 1970s MB diesel.

Just last night I was debating the possibility of either getting a GTI/A3 in 06 or simply trying to negotiate a lower purchase price for my 330i. BMWFS claims my buyout is 25k. In reality they won't be able to get more than 20k (probably less) for an e46 with 45k miles when they try to auction it off. A friend managed to get her Grand Cherokee off-lease by negotiating a lower buy out price. I may go that way as I still really love that car. Took a quick trip yesterday and going 85-90 the whole way (150 miles), I got 30 mpg. I really can't argue with that kind of performance from a car with this much power.

I know what I have too, if I keep it.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I wonder if the coils in these BMW's are problematic. I have a friend who's wife drives a newer ('04 or '05)325i and they got stranded while on vacation because their coils went out as well. Sounds like a VW 1.8t rehash!!
    Yep. Maybe german vendors don't like getting the ignition coil contracts?
  • lockdownlockdown Member Posts: 2
    bought it a couple of months ago. Now mileage is just over 1k.
    Thanks for your response.
  • edhoustontxedhoustontx Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 GTI yesterday! It is great.

Wanted to know if anyone knows the trick to disable the day-running lights. I think it has something to do with pressing the power lock button a certain number of times in tandem with the headlamp dial. Anyone know? This is a VW mecanics only trick. Please advise. Thanks
  • mtimmmtimm Member Posts: 1
    I was just looking through this site, and saw your post. You've probably already fixed the problem or got rid of the car. The fix is this simple. The rubber flex boot that connects your breather box to your throttle body has a hole in it. It might not be that exact boot, but you've got an air intake leak somewhere on your car. The vacuum fuel injection needs a sealed system. Hope that helps. Good luck. I'd like to know how it turns out.
  • jaramabeigejaramabeige Member Posts: 31
    Dear everyone:

Please tell me your thoughts regarding the brakes on the GTI. I test drove one recently and the brakes were sponge-like. The pedal feel was stiff and the car did not stop with assurance. Is this consistent with the brakes on your GTI?

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback.
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Did you tested drive 1.8T or VR6? 1.8T should have a better brake performance based on their weight difference, 1.8T weights 2934 while VR6 has 3036lbs.
    I have not driven both GTI. But I have a 04Jetta VR6 which I felt not too good at braking confidently (not so sponge-like as you felt). I also has 225/45 R17 tire and wheel same as GTI VR6. but heavier weight (3179lbs). I think the problem is their rear disc rotor is too small for a vehicle weighted more than 3000lbs. The only way is to improve braking is to upgrade it.
  • wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    Brakes should NOT feel spongy - toe control is all you should need to stop aggressively. The GTI has bigger/better brakes than the Golf or Jetta. VR6 GTI has bigger brakes than the 1.8T GTI.

If new pads were installed on your test car they are probably not the high performance variety that comes standard with the GTI. Braking is one of VW's strong points.
    What is the stopping distance for 60-0 Miles. for VR6GTI? Is this kind of high performance brake pads usually have lots of black pad dust staying on the alloy wheel.
    Is this kind of high performance brake pads usually have lots of black pad dust staying on the alloy wheel.
    Yes, exactly. Although they have great stopping power, high metallic dust pads are not necessary for high performance. You can upgrade to a low dust, high performance pad (ceramic formulas and others) but they cost more. An expense not many OEMs will absorb nor pass on so as to maintain a predetermined price point of the vehicle ((hundreds of these seemingly silly cost controls (compromises) are part of every reasonably priced vehicle)).

Don't have the 60-0 stats on hand, but suffice to say the brakes have great feel, linear modulation and huge stopping power - better than other newer cars I have driven.
    Thanks Wetwillie for your explanation. I know this section is for discussing GTI and not appropriate for Jetta, but would like to have your opinion as to how to improve my braking power of my GLI(VR6) other than upgrading to a larger braking(clipper + disc rotor). as I have trouble in abrupt braking especially during speeding in the freeway.
    Wai, really not necessary to upgrade rotors or calipers. German cars in general (in general now, don't flame me) focus on brakes, suspension and engine smoothness/efficiency. They typically fall behind on electronics, ergonomics, (although, VW is at the absolute top of the class for interiors) and possibly reliabilty.

If you you have nice wheels (OEM alloys or aftermarket) I would upgrade to a high performance low-dust pad. I've had great success with Mintex redbox. Linear, no fade, no squeal and NO dust! There are better pads out there but these have a good bang for the buck and are better than stock. Hope this helps.

WW
    Thanks, Willie for your tips.
  • weezer5weezer5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a multitude of issues with my car. First of all, when I take it in to the Dealer to have them service it, it never throws a code. They won't spend time on it if they can't reproduce the problem. On many occasions I've had to drive it with the mechanic or video tape the problem for them to believe me. Let's see...the turbo hesitates, the temperature guage bounces, the sunroof opens and shuts by itself, all intermittently, not to mention many other problems. I've tried to get VW of North America to declare it a lemon or extend my warranty. They basicly said no, let's see what happens after the warranty period is up. Oddly enough, all these things happened after they replaced the starter coils and reprogrammed my ECU (which they screwed up in the process). They finally replaced the ECU, but ever since, my car has had lots of electrical type problems. I need some suggestions as to how to handle this with the dealership and VW.
  • benderthefirstbenderthefirst Member Posts: 1
    hm... I am only 17, but I am expecting to buy a car within this year. I have come across a 2003 GTI with 230 hp. It is likely to have been in an accident, but claims to have been fixed perfectly. It has 16800 miles and is selling for 12900. I really love the hp on this car, but I am new to the car buying science. Please tell me what you think about this vehicle regarding its pricing, quality, and if I should buy it. Pros & Cons?
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Is the '06 GTI going to be a 2-door or 4-door (or should I say 3-door or 5-door)?
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Len Hunt has personally promised that the 4-door MarkV GTI will become available in the US. That may take a few months, though. The 2.0TFSI engine may also become available in the regular 4-door Golf, in analogy with the Jetta - depending on sales.

I know for sure there are quite a number of people who will look elsewhere if the 4-door does not make it soon, so they (VW and VWoA) better get their act together if they want to sell cars.

Also, expect a new range of high-performance Diesel engines with the nationwide introduction of reduced-Sulfur Diesel in the US in 2007.
  • jwb18tjwb18t Member Posts: 45
    I read today in one of the US auto magazines that the 4 door Golf GTI would be available by June of 2006.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    If they're going to take that long to get it out they might as well make it a 2007 model.
  • ndotymndotym Member Posts: 7
    ok I agree with all you have stated..I'm new to VW scene, is it ok just to upgrade the exhaust? will this hurt reliability? . every thing else is cool on this GTI
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Upgrading the exhaust usually has a positive upside in both performance and economy (you can get a 5-10 hp increase and in many cases even more). You could get a free flowing downpipe (the pipe coming from the turbocharger), free flow catalytic converter, and either an aluminized or stainless steel exhaust (stainless steel is more expensive, but it lasts a long time - some manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty).

You usually can't go wrong with upgrading the exhaust. Mkke sure you shop around (thoroughly) - and don't go the cheap route. A good quality exhaust will give you years of trouble free service.
  • tottitotti Member Posts: 1
    Hello there...
    I own a German VW GTI 3 doors 2002 with 150HP. I really enjoy my car, but Im looking for a new one...
    The problem is that I live in South America, and down here we are only abble to get the Brazilian version that has 5 doors and the new 180HP engine. Do someone know the differences of these two cars?? Which one is better? Should I get the Brazilian? (I drove it, and the 30HP difference is important)... Somehow, Im not so sure about the Brazilian industry... What shold I do????
    If you want an all-around better and slighly larger car, perhaps it is best to wait for the MkV 2.0 TFSI Golf/GTI to arrive. Good fuel consumptions and better safety/ handling than the outgoing MkIV.
  • nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    It's intertesting to read back a bit and see how the views vary. I have friends w ho love vw (as I do) and others who hate hate hate it, and some people here do.

One guy a few pages back pretty much said it straight: if you take care of your car, it can last forever.
    Most people don't because it's not worth it to them, but cars live in this world of physics chaos just like we do, but they don't have an immune system to heal themselves with, so they require some care and feeding.

I've heard you should let ANY engine cool down at idle after highway speed to let it cool off, for example. How many people really do that?

I agree VW's had it's share of stupid problems. I had the window lifters break on my 1999.5 GTI VR6, I had the MAF problem, the rear windshield wiper doesn't work quite right, the light switch in the passenger mirror doesn't go off always, the right side support arm on the glove box just snapped (I've seen the indentical problem in other mk4's) the gas gauge spazzes out and reads empty half the time, and of course the seat lift handle popped off on the passenger side. I have had more than my fair share of really stupid problems with this car. But I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and I have yet to have any real mechanical problem with it. Yeah, I onyl have 68,000 on it (I have 3 cars and a bike so it takes a while to build up any real mileage) but to compare, my subaru wrx, has had a shock leak, the abs break (how do you break ABS?) and a few other stupid things. (warped rotors, things like that)
    I take care of my cars, but I drive them hard, and they keep working well. I will say that if you can get a VW manufactured in germany, you're better off than one built in mexico. But they're still fine cars if taken care of.
    But they're still fine cars if taken care of.

That's hilarious asfter you list a binch of problems with the car.

My Jetta 1.8T was a nightmare for engine/mechanical/interior problems. It had nothing to do with the owner and everything to do with poor engineering.

Similarily my 330i has experienced the same problems - poor electricals, sensors going out, engine software causing problems, etc.

Flipside, my last two Japanese cars were flawless. It's the inability of BMW/VW AG engineering that may well drive me into an IS250/350. :(
  • nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    Hello. I have been searcing frantically for a place in these forums where people have posted "prices paid and buying experinece" for a 2005 GTI. I was looking into buying a new 2005 gti 5-speed hoping to get a big discount now that 2006s will be out in the spring. Could anyone please direct me where to look because the last message for the GTI's " Prices paid" forum was in 2004!

Thanks a lot.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You could try searching this discussion - there is a box on the left just above the first post and just below the last one on this page that will help you.
    A lot of people tell me I should do stand up because I'm such a funny guy. I'm glad you think so too.

The doors on my gti make a nice solid click when they shut. THey don't sag. or sit funny. The sunroof has never leaked, I've never had any rainwater in the car anywhere. After putting a really stiff suspension on the car and driving it hard, the A/C still works great after 6 years. I've had to replace, I think one bulb in the entire car, with 67K on it I'm still only at half wear on the original front brakes, the rears show no sign of wear, the abs works fine (whereas my wrx's broke) The seats show no sign of wear after getting in and out and leaning hard on them for 6 years.
    I could go on. I can complain about things that went wrong, and I can rave about things that work well. It's still a fine car.

And it has one thing that no japanese car has that I've ever driven: It's german, and it's fun to drive.

I'll gladly take a broken GTI that can be fixed over a perfect toyota or honda. I can't explain it, and Iknow people who understand what I mean, and I know people who don't understand what I mean, but there's something different about the way the germans make their cars, that is far more enjoyable to have than 'it's problem free.'

I also have a 1984 porsche 911. Same thing. The car is just amazingly fun to drive. I will admit I've never driven an nsx or anything like that, but nothing has ever come close to being as much fun as my 911.
    Let me first say, VW/Audi should improve their reliability, and they have been and are doing it. However, theses days, simply improving reliability gets you nowhere, because hardly anyone compares the reliability of a '06 car to that of a '03 car. Most buyers look at the stats of two different manufacturers in the same year. So, the progress VW/Audi have made over the past 5 years or so is drowned out by the continuing improvements of the top reliability performers. Do I car? No. Do many people care? Yes.

For some people, going to the dealer to have something fixed (perhaps during regular maintenance) 2 times a year versus 1.5 times a year is a huge deal. To others, it is the same deal for both cars - especially if they are compensated otherwise (nice interior that looks the same after 15 years, good handling, great low-end torque, driving fun, ...etc.).

If you think that 2 is much worse than 1.5 - you are simply not VW/Audi material at this point. If you think they are about the same, and are open to explore other features of cars rather than that particular, singular measurement, you qualify as a potential VW/Audi buyer.

Another secret of VWs is that they usually age gracefully. That is, if you tend to keep your car, and take care of it (for example, use the synthetic oil that is called for in most VW engines), they last a long time with little cost. I don't like to cite idiosyncratic stories, but my 93' Golf is typical to the several Golfs my friends and relatives own. It has had its teething problems. But after 60k miles (well before its warranty ended), it has given me almost no problems. I am at 150.000 miles now, and it still drives like 13 years ago. Still get 35 mpg highway, 28-30 in mixed driving (unless I am having fun). Over the past 5 years, it has cost me less money to maintain per year than its insurance costs.

Then I know several 10s of Hondas and Toyotas that friends and family own or have owned. Fine (except for some that needed 1 to 2 new transmissions or a few that needed a new engine) until 80K to 120K miles, and then everyone gets rid of them. Why? Because all of them have had numerous costly problems from then on in very short time.

Note that my Passat is approaching 80k miles and has, since 40k miles, only had an oil leak, which was fixed under warranty.

YMMV.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Does anyone know if the GTI is know for having a radiator problem?

I just had to take mine in for a coolant leak, only to have the dealer mechanic state that my radiator fan had gouged a hole in the radiator.

That sounds a bit fishy to me, but the car is under warrantee. So while they say they need to replace the radiator and fan, it's still not costing me a dime.
    THat's not common, I imagine you'd have heard about it. whoever put it together probably missed a screw in the fan mount or something. They're little plastic fans, I question the 'gouging a hole' but maybe a lot of wear over time, still means the fan was mounted badly.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Thanks for the information.

:D

Just glad to be out of my loaner car. The Chevy Trailblazer was a cow compared to my GTI.
  • geoffdgtigeoffdgti Member Posts: 83
    I have a Brazilian 2001 1.8T with 102,000 miles on it. I put the 100K OEM VW extended warranty on it and made almost no use of the policy at all. The car has always had proper maintanence. It's been solid.

Here's my repair history:
    At the free 20k mile service, they replaced an oxygen sensor and an oil line to the turbo. I wasn't aware that there was a problem.

Replaced a broken spray shield broken on a refrozen snowplow bank at the end of my driveway. $25.00

One of the windows fell into the door. VW replaced both window regulators and the coil packs as part of their recall campaign. Annoying but the window problem was a known design defect before I even bought the car.

The rear brakes went at about 52,000 miles. New rotors & pads. First time I've ever had rear brakes go before front brakes.

At 55,000 miles, the idiot light went on. Replaced a diverter valve. Reprogrammed the engine control unit to correct a fault code for misfiring.

The check engine light went on again at about 56,000 miles after the dealer had reprogrammed the ECU and replaced the diverter valve. I bought a Vag-Com diag cable and the CD with the shop manual. I tossed them on the floor of the back seat where they've lived ever since. The light went out and the car has run flawlessly ever since. I'm pretty sure my problem was that I hadn't screwed in the gas cap all the way.

I think I've replaced the whole set of headlights and daytime running lights. Wiper blades a few times. Front windshield a couple of times. I wore through the driver's floor mat and bought a new set. One replacement set of summer tires and I'm about to buy my second set of winter snow tires.

The car has been extremely reliable. It's never stranded me. I'm on original everything except for rear brakes. I have a timing belt to replace in another month or so at 105K but nothing else is showing trouble signs.
  • hazeruhazeru Member Posts: 1
    Anyone having problems with going through alot of oil but doesnt seem to be burning it ? garage told me oil was getting into the spark plugs which is a bad thing apparently ... i drive a 2000 GTI GLS and seem to need oil roughly every 3000 miles !!! any info appreciated as the garage are advising that I change the car as if there is a bigger issue at hand !!!
  • tavoo7tavoo7 Member Posts: 1
    I recently turned sixteen years old and on my birthday my parents bought me a used 2003 VW 1.8t GTI. The car is loaded with leather 17 inch wheels everything. My entire family has German cars including Porsche Audi and VW's. I have had it about a month and absolutely love it, it is fuel economical, fun to drive and makes all the other kids jealous. I was wondering if anyone has any information about winter tires and or how the GTI is to drive in the winter. I live in michigan and the winters are harsh so i would like to know what i am getting myself into .
    Approximate pricing has just been released for the upcoming, February 2006 introduction of the MkV GTI in the US. At around $22,350, the 3-door GTI is about $1,500 less expensive than the Jetta GLI. At first glance, the feature list reads similar to the GLI (xenon, trip computer, ESP).

The two available option packages are (i) sunroof & satellite, and (ii) heated leather sport seats & dual climate.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I drove through the VW HQ parking lot and they have about 4 or so GTI's there. They look really sweet. A little smaller than I thought. I am anxiously awaiting a test drive. A gentleman I know (that works for VW) is getting one later this month and has promised me a drive.
  • fitz240fitz240 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone show me step by step directions to install an ignition coil, for my 2001 GTI.
  • fitz240fitz240 Member Posts: 2
    Its a Vr6
  • ndotymndotym Member Posts: 7
    I was searching for a 2005 v6 to my surprise dealers state only 1.8 are left what did they ship them back to the factory??? We settled for a loaded 1.8 but come on whats up with vw...due to the very new and not test 2006?
    Audi/VW is clearly trying to save as much money as possible with regard to their low-sales models by certifying as few drivetrain options and combinations as possible.

The new (MkV) GTI will be available in February in the US. It blows away the old 1.8 in all categories, and with handling also the VR6. It's worth waiting for. Come on, it's almost Christmas, and February is just around the corner!

If you can't wait, give the A3 a try.
  • rimvydasrimvydas Member Posts: 1
    I just leased my 2005 GTI 1.8T from Circle Imports in Long Beach, CA. Mine was one of 2 GTIs on the lot, and all are now gone. Try Pasadena Volkswagen which has the largest inventory left (25 cars in October) in the greater LA area. My Indigo Blue GTI was fully loaded: Tiptronic auto, luxury and leather packages, 17 inch alloy wheels, ESP, and 6-CD changer. The car with options had an MSRP of $24,419, and my car was discounted down $3,000 off the MSRP and included the factory's lease special offer that expired Oct 31, 2005. I leased it for $271/month (before tax) with a $2,000 drive-off payment, 36 months lease term, and 15K miles annually. Since I had already leased for my wife a 2005 New Beetle Convertible, I received another $500 off the GTI from the factory's owner loyalty special that expires November 30, 2005 (see www.vw.com). I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Raymond