Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Insight Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    We look forward to more about Honda Insight experience. ;-)

To everyone- Here's an article I came across today from Edmunds.com's New Headlines featuring the Honda Insight: Rising gas prices promote hybrid car popularity. Hope you enjoy.

Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Check out Edmunds' Spin Around Town: 2001 Honda Insight, An Easy-Going Environmentalist, by Erin Riches. And let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Edmunds review of the Insight is good IMO. On a different subject (kinda) now that the hybrid Civic is out will it take the place of the Insight ? Hope not cause if the available hatch area was increased the Insight would be just about right for me ! Rob (no HEV yet) Fruth
    From Edmunds' Long Term Road Tests, here's the January 2002 review for their 2000 Honda Insight. Look for a direct link to this Long Term Road Test in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. You'll find monthly reviews starting from April 2000. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    This is a good idea, encourage conservation http://auto.com/industry/iwirm1_20020301.htm
    Hi rfruth- Thanks for the link.

For those interested, here's another interesting article, I recently came across, about the $2000 federal tax credit available for the Honda Insight. You'll also find links within this article leading you to other articles about electric and clean fuel vehicle tax credits. Hope this is helpful.

Btw, are there any Insight owners out there that have filed for this tax credit? Please share your experience with us. Thanks.

Revka
    Host
    We are looking for any woman who has recently bought or driven a hybrid car.

If you fit this description and care to share your input on the subject, please contact Kristen Gerencher at [email protected] or Jeannine Fallon at [email protected] by noon EST Tuesday, March 19. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Don't forget tonight's Town Hall Chat, 5-7 pm PT/8-10 pm ET. Tonight's topic -- Why my next car will/won't be a hybrid.

Hope you can make it!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi Folks- Here's the wrap up for Edmunds' 2000 Honda Insight Long Term Road Test. Also, scroll down that page to find direct links (right side) to monthly articles covering all 24 months of their Honda Insight experience. Hope this is helpful.

Revka
    Host
    I wanted to let everyone know that a scale model is available of the Insight - available through http://www.ewacars.com
    Not sure, this may have been mentioned before, but I was reassured by the high rating.
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1571.html
    Thanks for the information.

Revka
    Host
  • insight2002insight2002 Member Posts: 1
    I am a first-time buyer looking to purchase a new or used Insight. However, I am currently pondering whether or not to opt for the CVT or manual version. I have only tested the CVT version, and I was quite pleased with it, however, I'm also drawn to the higher mileage of the manual version.

Can anyone help me out?
    I'm more of a manual transmission person myself (lower purchase price and operating cost better control etc) but shifting does get old ... This is from Insight Central http://www.insightcentral.net/faq-cvt.html#Chart

The 5-speed appeals to people who want a manual transmission, while the CVT appeals to people who want an automatic transmission.

While both versions offer very impressive fuel efficiency & emissions levels, engineers have to make some design tradeoffs between these two goals. The 5-speed puts more emphasis on efficiency & greenhouse gas emissions, while the CVT puts more emphasis on level of California emissions certification.

The 5-speed was designed to achieve the best possible fuel efficiency - and thereby the lowest possible greenhouse gas emissions - while still achieving ULEV California emissions levels. The CVT, on the other hand, has been tuned to achieve an even tougher level of California emissions standards - SULEV - at the cost of a reduced fuel efficiency and slightly higher greenhouse gas production.

Nonetheless, the CVT Insight still achieves the best fuel efficiency of any gas powered car with an automatic-transmission, being significantly better than even the Toyota Prius.
    FREEPORT, Maine, June 5 — The Honda Insight, which gets about 64 miles per gallon of gasoline, is the most fuel-efficient car sold commercially in the U.S. But 64 mpg is peanuts to Naoto Inoue. If he can’t coax his two-seat silver Insight to more than 70 mpg, he considers it a bad day. http://www.msnbc.com/news/762050.asp
    All this talk (?) has got me drooling for a Insight, no hybrid yet but would love a 5 speed (CVT okay) but can't bring myself to pay MSRP, had thought with the Civic hybrid the going price of the Insight might come down but noo, not in these parts anyway is there a secret anyone can suggest ?

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

http://web2.airmail.net/rfruth
    All this talk (?) has got me drooling for a Insight, no hybrid yet but would love a 5 speed (CVT okay) but can't bring myself to pay MSRP, had thought with the Civic hybrid the going price of the Insight might come down but noo, not in these parts anyway is there a secret anyone can suggest ?

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

http://web2.airmail.net/rfruth
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Ya gotta be kidding me! I'm seeing Insights at invoice, even the new Civic Hybrid is close to the magic number. You must not be talking to the right people!
    Insight is discounted a couple grand (autobytel, e-mails, local dealers) but I was hoping for even more, who are the right people ?
    rfruth in Houston
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Depends on what you're meaning by even more. Go online or contact the dealers by email yourself. Make'm an offer, you never know!
  • tjostestjostes Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2000 insight w/14K for $11,400! (manual transmission) Saw a 2000 w/30K for $9,900! Deals are out there! Had a dealer tell me he'd sell me a new 2002 w/CVT for $5K below MSRP. Seems like dealers are trying to unload them since the Civic Hybrid is now available...go shopping and ask!
    and congrats on your 2000 Honda Insight purchase. Please keep us posted on your ownership experience.... Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • odimitrovodimitrov Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 2000 insight (manual transmission) for a 1.5 years and have already
    23,000 mills average 65 gml shows in the computer display, 80% hway,
    and $5700 tax brake for a price $21000 including tax and 6 years warranty I paid cash.
    It can go easy to 100 ml/h and I can pass 800 mills with one tank.
    It all depend how you are driving and how you are shifting and using the battery.
    This is the best thing ever happen to me.
  • alindaalinda Member Posts: 67
    our dealership will do 4k behind invoice, maybe more. one cvt in silver left.
    from Edmunds' Headlines Section: Honda Insight Tops Feds' Fuel Economy Rankings.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• mokumbearmokumbear Member Posts: 1
    Does the Insight come with a disable switch for the passenger side airbag? (If you want to carry a small child)
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    Why not just get a used 2000 or 2001 Chevy Metro (or Suzuki Swift) for ~$4000-6000 (depending on condition, miles, etc.). They get 50 mpg (with 1.0L 3-cyl and manual tranny). Plus they seat four quite comfortably and you don't have to worry about replacing batteries. The money you'd save in purchase price alone would pay for A LOT of gasoline and would more than make up for the difference in fuel efficiency.

Metro's/Swift's are very reliable cars too. Just go to the Metro thread to see what I mean.

Just to give an idea of cost: Let's assume you drive 20,000 miles per year (quite a bit more than average) and an Insight gets 65 mpg average. If fuel costs $1.75/gallon (it's less in most places in the U.S.) then you'd spend $538.46 per year on fuel. With a Metro/Swift, let's assume you average 43 mpg (easily done). Then the cost per year for the same assumptions would be $813.95 per year. That means the Insight is saving only $275.49 per year for the Insight. That's less than one monthly payment for a new Insight, and even if you could find a used Insight for $10K, it would take you ~15-20 years to make up the purchase price in saved fuel (more if you have to pay interest on a loan).

I like the Insight, but it's just too expensive for an "economy car".
    That's the real reason the big 3 aren't biting yet. They're using their heads!
    I agree the Metro / Swift is a good choice, wish they were still manufactured, hope discontinuing them (and not replacing) wasn't a example of them using their heads. Rob (hatchback) Fruth
    Well depending on what state you live in, there is a nice tax credit ($2000+) if you own a Honda Insight. Perhaps that might help balance the scale a little in comparing the Insight costs... to other economy cars.

To rfruth- Just curious, are you still thinking of trading up your Civic for a Honda Insight?

It would be interesting having more Insight owners participating here.... ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    "I agree the Metro / Swift is a good choice, wish they were still manufactured, hope discontinuing them (and not replacing) wasn't a example of them using their heads." Rob (hatchback) Fruth

That's a good point. :)
    Yeah, I always liked Metros but never bought one...till recently, I bought a low-mileage '98 for $3200. Great car! It's a shame GM/Suzuki had to cancel them, but I guess people just wanted SUV's.

I do understand that some Insight buyers just want to be as green as possible and saving money is not the primary motivation for buying one. That I can respect and I imagine that is the major reason that most Insight buyers opt for the insight over other less expensive economy cars.
  • mboudetmboudet Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a used Honda Insight and was wondering if there is any difference between the model years available. They are all hybrids right???
    Not sure if you found the information you were looking for, but in Edmunds.com's New and Used Vehicle Pricing Guides, you'll find the Standard Features and Options for each model year. Also, check the Overview sections to see what's new for each year. To answer your last question: all Honda Insights (2000, 2001, 2002) are hybrids.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• knahsknahs Member Posts: 5
    I have heard that when you reach 70,000 miles on the Insight, you have to replace the battery which costs $5,000. Has anyone had an Insight this long and is this true?
    If anyone has paid to replace the battery while its still under warranty I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you, pls contact me !
    - snip -

http://www.insightcentral.net
    Warranty Information

The Insight has a typical Honda warranty for most of the car, with a much longer (8 year) warranty for many of the new technologies included in the car. Here is a brief summary of the warranty that applies in the United States:

Full warranty coverage: 3 years / 36,000 miles
    Conventional portion of powertrain: 5 years / 60,000 miles
    Battery: 8 years / 80,000 miles
    Various computer, control and power modules: 8 years/ 80,000 miles
    Catalytic converters: 8 years / 80,000 miles
  • knahsknahs Member Posts: 5
    If the vehicle is out of warranty - does the battery cost this much? I mean - I'd rather have a vehicle that gets half the mileage and have that bill every time I fill up than a $5,000 bill at 80,000 or so miles. I am just trying to find out if this is true or not in considering this vehicle as my next car or not.
    Sorry bout the ocean front property in Arizona comment, I suspected you meant when the battery is out of warreny would it be 5 grand to replace and I wish there was a quick answer but there isn't - the upcoming Ford Escape HEV FAQ says "the life of the battery and it's warranty will be competitive with other hybrid vehicles in the marketplace." http://www.hybridford.com/index.asp (Toyota & Honda make similar claims) so I'd venture to guess the battery is good for 175,000 miles (corse like a flashlight you and I might not agree when the batteries are shot (no lead acid in hybrid traction batteries) and by the time you need a battery the price might be less ? No one on the Honda hybrid list has mentioned new batteries and some are over 100 K miles.

• bigmusclepaulbigmusclepaul Member Posts: 9
    I've been reading alot lately (eg. 'Consumer Guide') slamming the Insight (and other hybrids) as 'costly for an economy car... the payback in fuel savings will take years to recoup'. I don't believe the Insight (or other hybrids) have ever been advertised as 'economy cars'. They're green cars and their investment is in saving the planet through lower emissions rather than saving money through lower gas consumption.

As the US goes to war for 'cheap gas' for huge SUVs, please keep the idealism behind the Insight alive. They're not cars for 'cheap consumers', they're cars for responsible citizens of planet earth.

BTW, I've just ordered a silver 5spd. Ok, back to munching my granola... <G>
    You said: "They're green cars and their investment is in saving the planet...." and "They're not cars for 'cheap consumers', they're cars for responsible citizens of planet earth."

Good points. Also, some would argue that the manufacturers bear some of the responsibility here as well. And creating green cars that are affordable to people of all income levels would make a more a significant impact. Not to mention, manufacturers that have been breaking profit records, year after year, can certainly afford to invest in this.... Just my two cents. ;-)

To get back to the subject: congrats on your Honda Insight purchase! When do you expect to take delivery? We look forward to hearing all the details.... Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
    Hey Everyone,

I'm a new soon-to-be member of the Insight family. I'm in Vancouver, BC, and have just purchased a 2000 5spd w/AC from a dealer in Ontario. The dealer is shipping it out to me next week. I'll have my VIN in a few days... It was a trade into Image Honda in Hamilton, Ontario, with only 23,000 KM on the odometer. Paid $17,800 CDN with 60 month Honda Canada financing at 7.4%.

The identical car is available used in Vancouver now (at Regency Honda), however it has 72,000 KM on it, and looks rough (mangled alloys, broken skirt, cracked tail light, and it was the 'burger bus' for the dealer, so the cargo area is completely stained). After viewing the car once when it was priced at $16,800 CDN, then asked to come back again when they'd reduced it to $14,900 CDN. Was about to put my offer in when the salesman said that, since they had just reduced it, there was NO WAY any offer below list price would be entertained... (all I wanted was new, cleaner, floor mats...). That blew me out the door.

Now the amazingly great staff at Carter Honda in Vancouver have graciously offered to accept my car shipment from Image Honda, handle all my documents for me, clean it, and have offered the services of their 'Insight' technician to spend a couple hours going over all the details on delivery.

This is my 5th honda product, and the service just keeps getting better. With my last Honda purchase, a new 1998 Accord from West City Motors in Belleville, Ontario, my salesperson Karla had a box of home-made cookies she'd made herself waiting in the back seat at delivery....

I realize, factoring in the US exchange rate, that perhaps I've given average to high dollars for the car. But I also feel better knowing that perhaps the little extra commission was enjoyed by the salesperson, and some extra profit has helped operations at the dealership.

It's good 'Car-ma'....
  • puravida8puravida8 Member Posts: 1
    Today, I test drove an Insight. I LOVED IT! It had 242 miles on it. They have a 'sale' price of $19,400 USD. I expect prices should be low on these with all the new models coming out next year from Ford (Escape), Honda (RAV4), and others. Does anyone have suggestions for a reasonably good price in Southern California? I read the posting for a person buying used in Canada at around $10,000 with 20 or 30k Km.
    Hey there, got mine (a 2000 Insight with 23,000 KM) for $17,700 CDN ($11,700 USD). It's a silver 5spd with A/C, purchased in Ontario, Canada, and they're shipping it to Vancouver, BC. I missed the very last new, unregistered 2000 model by a couple weeks. It was a red 5spd with A/C, sold in Edmonton, AB for $19,000 CDN ($12,600 USD).

It sounds like your sale price is pretty close to list. Search online, and don't be afraid to buy one out-of-state. CA has a high demand and short supply. I believe there was one dealer in Lousianna selling then for $5000 under list; shipping should be under $1000...

Good Luck
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Can an Insight substain 80-85 miles per hour ?

If not what is an expected highway speed on fairly flat smooth highway. with one person ? with two?
    What should a person pay for a new Insight? 5-speed with air. A $1,000 discount is not very good anymore is it?
    No one discusses Insight any more?
    A journalist is looking for a person who is in the market to buy a hybrid vehicle. If you care to be interviewed, please respond with your daytime contact information to [email protected] by Friday, July 11.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Is a 2003 Isight worth buying? What should the price be? It seems as the new 2004 Prius will elcipse the Honda Hybreds. Honda salesmen don't even carry the insight at lagre dealerships. The Insight and this board appear to be dead.
    A major magazine is looking to interview someone who considered buying a Prius or a Honda Civic hybrid, but decided it wasn't worth the extra $3,000 to $4,000 price premium over the regular gasoline versions of the Corolla or Civic.
    Please respond by October 22 to [email protected] with your daytime contact info.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A California reporter is looking to interview any California resident who has owned a Honda Civic Hybrid, Honda Insight or Toyota Prius.
    Please respond to [email protected] by Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 with your daytime contact info if you care to share your story.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
This discussion has been closed.