Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Insight Prices Paid and Buying Experience

124»

Comments

• spinner1spinner1 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Canada and recently bought a 2004 Navy Blue Honda Insight CVT at a Seattle area dealer for about list price. I must be the only guy in the world still interested in the Insight or CVT dealer. Essentially the strong message I got from Western Canadian dealers is we don't have any, we haven't had any, we aren't getting any and we don't want to get any, and if you get one we done't want to work on it!!!! For those Canadians considering buying one in the USA and bringing it home, DON"T DO IT no matter how good the price. American Honda considers these "American destination cars as grey market cars" and refuses to support them in Canada. They won't easily give you the paperwork you need to register them and don't want to honor their warranties north of the 49th...

I have really enjoyed driving my Insight from Seattle to Edmonton but now it sits in my driveway as $27,000 Canadian worth of used Honda Insight parts inventory until I can get American Honda Motors to give me the required documents. Got ???? contact Rocky at [email protected]

:confuse: :mad: :cry: :sick: :sick:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Hi spinner1,
    Since this is a message board format, members who have questions will post them here rather than contacting you by e-mail. That way, all of our members can benefit from the knowledge posted.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    It's been interesting here in Atlanta, all the used Insights have disappeared in the last few weeks. When gas prices started climbing, I checked a certain online site that lists used cars. There were used 39 Insights within 300 miles of Atlanta. As of today, they have four listed.

As a single guy, I'm starting to wonder if it would make sense for me to look at one. I loved my old CRX, but the Insight isn't quite as peppy. Still, the MPG is awfully tempting. Especially with price gouging on new Civics. I can't even fathom how much Civic Hybrids will be going for when the new model is released.
  • junglemonkeyjunglemonkey Member Posts: 4
    Manual with Air Condition. If anyone help me post the name of private seller or dealership.
  • bfchrisbfchris Member Posts: 2
    Yes, Insights are very hard to get. I ordered mine in September 2005, and took delivery 30 March 2006. (The factory didn't begin manufacturing cars for the waiting list until December 2005.) I had to take a silver one because the red color was "discontinued."

But I love it! To answer your question, it's perfect for a single guy. It is a chickmagnet, but it's also much more efficient to drive yourself around (who needs 5 empty seats?).

I am loving my tank average of 72 mpg.

No, it's not really peppy, but it can certainly accelerate when you need it to. You're just discouraged from lowering your mileage to do so! :D

The long delivery time put different stresses on the dealer-customer relationship. My novice salesman lost interest and stopped updating me on the order status, but the owner patched things up with me (after firing the novice), and I now have a contact "at the top" who is interested in keeping me and his other customers satisfied.

I recommend Casey Honda of Newport News, VA. I only wish they stocked Insights on the lot, but they can only get 3 for the March-May 2006 time period.
  • gilbynziggygilbynziggy Member Posts: 6
    i am interested in getting a new insight, however, the lack of color choices annoys the crap out of me. i remember in 2001(?) it was available in a neon green color. if someone knows the years that color was available tell me please.
    also, i've been reading what comes standard, and asside from not having side air bags, all seems good. however, in the photos i've seen, i see an outlet for a cigarette lighter, but no ashtray, does the insight have a built in ashtray, or is a smoker's package required (if offered, i know kia and gm offer one). also, does anyone know if it comes with cruise control, or if it's available?
    the main things i want in a car are cruise, preferably manual, sunroof (not an option but i can handle that), power windows, and AC. i know the insight comes with AC as an option on the stick shift, but i haven't seen anything else.
    does it come with power windows? i see it comes with power locks and they usually go hand in hand...
    anyway, any help is appreciated and thank you.
    also, yes i know it is a two seater. however, i am 6'4" and in my old car (a '97 cavalier) i had to have the seats all the way back and also reclined. does the seats recline very far? or are they power operated?
    pretty much, i have narrowed down my two last vehicles down to an insight or a new kia rio5. the rio5 lacks a lot a items (cruise, ABS, sunroof, and it has this new black plastic cladding that is similar to what my cavalier had on it some years ago) i like the stylig of the insight, and it seems like the perfect car for L.A. wear i'll be moving to shortly. does anyone have any advice?
    from.
    --Rob. :blush:
  • kb101kb101 Member Posts: 1
    got my Blue up to 92 passing a huge semi - i think the driver's eyes popped out as he saw me pass him.... not that i endorse speeding in any way, shape, or form.
    traveling from massachusetts to north carolina on a fairly regular basis, 80-85 is easy but the mpg suffers. last time averaged 48.9 but still i'm vey pleased with that and the speed.
    one driver, back crammed with lots of stuff.
  • cjoccjoc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Insight that I need to sell so I can move overseas. It only has 49k miles on it and a friend recommended CarMax as a place to give a good deal. Maybe on a newer car they make good offers, but I was told 3k to "take it off my hands". So how do you feel about that offer, CJ? Um, unimpressed!

My local Honda dealer offered 5k as is (a tire stripped off some rubber and did minor damage to the rear bumper.

With gas at about $3.40 in Southern California and my mileage at 57MPG despite driving in mixed traffic, I think they can do better.

What do y'all think?

CJ
  • divxprocodecdivxprocodec Member Posts: 1
    Hey there CJ,
    I think the dealers really could do better. I am in the market for an Insight and might be interested in yours. Shoot me and email at divxprocodec at(sign) hotmail.com with some pics and info and maybe we could work something out. If not, best of luck getting fair value out of it mate.
    Regards,
    Chris
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I wonder when and to whom the LAST NEW Insight will be sold?

That would be cool to know !!!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    That event happened long ago unless some dealer has ratholed one for some dumb reason.
  • yujnyujn Member Posts: 1
    Are you still selling the car and where are you located?
  • cjoccjoc Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for asking. Car sold in June for 8k.
    All the best
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at [email protected] by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out Senior Editor John O'Dell's newest addition to our lineup, the Green Car Advisor for news and commentary on environmental automotive trends and technologies.

Looking forward to all your comments!
  • bjgw66bjgw66 Member Posts: 16
    just a question to get another insight forum started. what are your thoughts about the reliability of Honda, and the Honda Insight. The Insight has been out since 12/1999 as a 2000 model year car. what are general concerns/questions.

Let me remind you, I do sell these cars and would be glad to field questions but more important than that is I really want to see what people are saying about their lives with the Insight, and others future plans.

Thanks for the opinions.

Ben
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Nothing wrong with these if they are your cup of tea.

Personally they are my least favorite Honda and we didn't miss them when they were dropped.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is hoping to talk with hybrid owners who have had to replace the hybrid's battery. Please respond to [email protected] before Friday, May 16, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.

AND

A reporter is hoping to talk with anyone who bought a used hybrid with over (or near) 100,000 miles on it. Please respond to [email protected] before Friday, May 16, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    It's official - the Insight is returning! The 2010 Insight will be available come March or April of 2009!
  • rookie60rookie60 Member Posts: 39
    I have posted a couple of times. I have read a thousand blogs. I have checked every article I can find. I have read about mileage, comfort and cost. No one has one yet. There have been showings to the press. Mileage reports are only guesses. You can't drive a car for 50 miles and get average fuel consumption that is long term. I have an Insight on order already. I will be one of the first people in my area to get one. Let me know if you want my feedback.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    If you want to reply to Karen, then click on her name above, and you'll get her e-mail address...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rookie60rookie60 Member Posts: 39
    Thank You!!
  • fiesty2fiesty2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Insight and would love to know anything about resale value? I love my car and will be sad when the day comes!
    Try posting a description of your car HERE.

Someone can give you an idea of the trade-in value.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fiesty2fiesty2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks kyfdx.

I posted my inquiry. Haven't checked the response yet. Found additional info. on this sight. Apparently only one example of my car could be located. I know there are a few in Brantford, Ontafrio Canada where this one was purchased. :D
    Give it a little time.. The dealer that posts responses is out west.... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.