Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagon GTI 1.8t vs VR6

124»

Comments

• yoyoma69yoyoma69 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 1.8t. after reading some of these posts i was wondering if anyone had any info on how to get more out of the gti or make it faster.
  • playathug21playathug21 Member Posts: 20
    buy a chip
  • augmach5augmach5 Member Posts: 12
    in seattle there are zero 1.8t gtis with leather..so they can ask for msrp and get it when a new car comes in..in texas it sounds like they are giving them away..not so out here..u cant even get one..without a long [non-permissible content removed] wait..thats one of the resons i dropped my a4 plans..plus its a 28k car with alot of weight with that quattro thing..i would need the 280hp apr upgrade quick..and we all kow that aint cheap..

later
  • sjcnolasjcnola Member Posts: 1
    Will be buying a GTI 1.8 next weekend and am now researching the chip upgrade. I noticed the 2001 AudiA4 1.8T is advertising 170 HP which is 20 more than GTI. Is this because of the chip? If so, is it possible to drop the Audi chip into the GTI and get the added power? Otherwise, anyone out there have any experience with aftermarket chips, who and where to get them?
  • endorendor Member Posts: 3
    I just read your post and I have some important info to tell you. The Audi chip will not work in the GTI from what I've read but there is hope. This fall VW is coming out with a better 1.8T engine that produces 180hp but is going to be advertised as 170hp so as not to upset sister companies. Also the VR6 24 valve engine producing 201hp is coming to the states in JAn 2002 starting at a base price under 22,000. You can also chip the 1.8t for $500 to produce over 200hp.
  • wordman93wordman93 Member Posts: 36
    http://www.vwvortex.com for some chip info on your car. Go to forums and browse around. EIP has done alot of stuff for the 1.8t and VR6 for that matter. There's also APR (Audi Performance Racing), they too have done quite a bit of work for the 1.8t Golf. Happy hunting and good luck.....
  • i5687i5687 Member Posts: 2
    The GI 1.8t is my pick out of the two (Vr6). 1. The 1.8 has a turbot, which can work a lot hard with a performance upgrade chip, which slaps on your EMU. 2. It’I a lot cheaper then the VR6. 3. On the vr6 there’I not that much room under the hood to work on if you want to make it faster,

At the beginning the turbot does lack the low-end torque, which you will get with the VR6 but after you get the chip in (only about 500 bucks), that 1.8t will be flying. The chip is good for 196 horsepower and 240ft. lfs. of torque. (http://www.goapr.com/)
  • i5687i5687 Member Posts: 2
    The GTI 1.8t is my pick out of the two (Vr6). 1. The 1.8 has a turbo, which can work a lot hard with a performance upgrade chip, which slaps on your ECU. 2. It’s a lot cheaper then the VR6. 3. On the vr6 there’s not that much room under the hood to work on if you want to make it faster,

At the beginning the turbo does lack the low-end torque, which you will get with the VR6 but after you get the chip in (only about 500 bucks), that 1.8t will be flying. The chip is good for 196 horsepower and 240ft. lbs. of torque. (http://www.goapr.com/)
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I am looking to get a used car and I have tested and like the GTI. My question is starting what year can you get the 1.8L turbo engine in a GTI? Edmunds says it starts in 2000 but the specs section still lists the 2.0 liter. I don't see the point in a 115 hp GTI. How hard is it to find a 99-00 model gti these days?
    I think the 1.8 turbo engine was made available in early 2000 (February/March I think). I bought my 2000 TDI in November of 99 and at that time the 1.8t was not yet available:(

Here in Texas it's not that hard finding a GTI of any sorts from 99-00; although there are far more 115 horsepower GTI's than the 174 horse powered ones.
    can be made to go just as fast and faster than any 1.8t. Chip, exhaust, and intake is good for nearly 200 horsepower and with the help of a schrick manifold and cams torque is rated closer to 215. That's all power with no turbo, and there are plenty of after market turbo kits available for the venerable vr6. I like both cars and all but after doing some research, (presently looking for something with a little more UMPF than the TDI), the vr6 appears to be a good platform to start out with if I stick with VW.
  • stompitstompit Member Posts: 2
    hey guys ive been reading alot of rumors lately about the power boost the 2002 gti lineup is getting. Supposedly i hear that the 1.8t will be running the 180hp version of the 1.8, but will be listed at 170 trying not to offend the people paying thousands more for a audi a4. The vr6 is supposedly going to be bumped to a 24 valve set up and be rated at 201 horsepower and get a standard 6 speed manual tranny. Ive also heard the vr6 is going to be delayed until mid january. The changes are supposedly for the gti and jetta, with the passat already given a power boost, and who wants a bug blowing by them anyway. I also hear stories of standard 16's finally for the 1.8t and 17's for the vr6. Also a new standard in dash cd player(who still uses tapes anyway) and no more standard sunroof, which will drop some weight and some price hopefully making the 2002 cheaper. Anyone else hear any new news?? also im going to link a site with specifics, with details about the 2002 lineup with all the changes http://www.beetlebuzz.com/vwnews.html

I also found a good site for people who want chip specs from diffrent companies for the 1.8t along with some other good stuff, keep in mind the chip ratings are based on the current 150hp 1.8t http://www.swankmonkey.com/chips/index.html
  • macduff98macduff98 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me when dealers will begin taking orders for the 2002 GTI?

And also, what typically is the turn-around time on the development of APR chips(ie. for the 180HP 2002 GTI)?

Thanks....
  • pencilholderpencilholder Member Posts: 4
    dealers here in st. louis said orders taking begins in august with delivery in late sept/early oct.
  • perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    Bet you all that the VR6 model in 2002 will NOT show up with a 6 speed manual for quite a few months -- there's delays in the manual transmission models. Chances are it will be early summer 2002 before the 6 speed VR6 is available.... alas.
  • tutoo7tutoo7 Member Posts: 10
    Hey, I have GTI 1.8T and Im looking into suspension changes. What Im debating over is either the H&R cup kit or the coil overs and I dont know which to get. Is raising and lowering the car that big of a deal because otherwise the cup kits are alot cheaper. Does anybody know more about the cup kits and their performance. Thanx for your help
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmunds' review of the 2002 VW GTI 1.8T is now available, here's a direct link to: First Drive: 2002 VW GTI 1.8T, by John DiPietro. Let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

This discussion has been closed.