Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part VI

mznmzn Member Posts: 727
edited March 2014 in Ford
The conversation about the ZX3 never ends! To see
where we're coming from, please click here.

Now, about the edmunds.com offer of a ZX3 owners
club... I'm sure you have seen our new Clubs
conference.
In order for your group to qualify for
membership in this conference, you'll have to get
together and designate two edmunds.com Town Hall
members to act as temporary official spokespersons
for your group.

For more information about how the clubs work,
please click here. So, what do you think?

carlady/host

Comments

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    The club sounds like a good idea. Put me down as a volunteer.
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    What does everyone think of this?
    Should we have a club just for us owners?
    If we should decide to, we shall have to elect two from among us who will then act as temporary spokespersons for the group.

I like it! I'll volunteer along with silver bullet.
    Gabe
  • zx3cdnzx3cdn Member Posts: 27
    It could be the best thing that we could do. I'm up for it.
    We all know that the zx3 is good value for the money. A friend that I work with bought a Civic hatchback CX last September. He paid about 4000 less for it than my zx3 cost. He didn't get a tach, only has small steel wheels, no a/c, no remote locks, only two speakers with no cd player, gutless engine, and seats that might as well not be there (seems like you sit on the floor any ways). He might have good reliability but he also has three small rust spots already about the size of the tip of a ball point pen (the car is silver and it is easy to spot the rust). Dents all over the car ( the sheet metal seems so thin to save weight that it has no strength at all). He will easily spend 4000 on wheels and performance upgrades to even try and come close to my car. I love my zx3 as does the Civic owner.
  • cefurodcefurod Member Posts: 72
    Hey, i slipped my post in right after carlady froze the topic. Pretty cool.

What's the difference between having a club and this forum?
    I nominate projectzx3 and silver bullet. Don't ask why, I just like the names.
  • tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    don't see the "last post" you speak of. Is it lost?
  • imsoyboyimsoyboy Member Posts: 34
    Although I don't have much input, I think the club would be great. As an owner of this awesome car, I find more information here then anywhere else. I look forward everyday to read these posts.

RCMAN1...I got the extended warranty when I bought the car. 6years or 75,000 whatever comes first. I paid about $965 for it, not realizing that it was negotiable I paid full price. I know a couple of posts back someone got it alot cheaper.
  • p345spdp345spd Member Posts: 24
    Another forum? While I am excited about the focus, and very interested in other's comments. It's already becoming a complex task to view all the forum's on Edmunds and yahoo and all the others. Also someone posted a note about a club - is this the club($20)? or a forum.

With more forums, etc. I'll miss a lot more of the posts.

Lastly, are all of these forums going to be listed in the foc's comment links?
    I became interested in coming back again and again, because people with foc's were helping out new comers and potential buyers, and those waiting for delivery. I found that very stimulating, and I think others do as well.

Maybe I'm dense (I'm not a club kind of guy, either) but I think everything that makes this forum interesting and different than the ones on other sites will all go away, and you'll just wind up talking to yourselves, about minutiae.
    Best of luck to all, whatever you decide.

Keep focussed! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

CJ
  • drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    Hey gang, I'm willing to volunteer. Do I have to actually have my hatchling in possession or could I at least be making payments on a Focus to qualify?
  • cefurodcefurod Member Posts: 72
    Tickbitty, you're right, i don't see my post anymore. But if you noticed, the last post by carlady is 611 of 612. Hey carlady, what happened to my post???
    He's got the watch, he's making the payments -- but he doesn't have a car! I think drebe73 ought to be one of the folks moderating the ZX3 club. He'll then be about as involved as a person can possibly be, without actually driving a ZX3 ;-)
    LOL thanks for the support Silver, heck I've got nothing better to do, its not like I'm out driving anywhere. Every one who notices my watch laughs when they hear that Ford sent it to me for buying the Focus.
    have they given you any idea when you will get the car back? One encouraging thing, I guess is that after all that time Project got his car back good as new. Sometimes when people wreck new cars, they are never "right" after that. SOunds like these guys at least have the time to do it right, waiting for all those parts.

Can somebody please tell me what LOL means? I'm clueless.
    Laugh out Loud..I think
    The last two pieces I need are supposed to be in by the end of the month. I hope (fingers crossed) that I will have it by May. People keep saying that the car will "never be the same" since it was in a wreck. I try not to think about that, since I didn't have it long enough (less than 24 hrs) to know what it was like. I did get the ESP warranty so believe me I'll have that back in the shop if I notice anything out of the ordinary. I plan to keep everyone updated on the board as things progress and also with any modifications I do to it. I will post pictures to the Yahoo Focus Club. Wish there was a place to post pictures on this board.

LOL does mean laugh out loud
    I just found out what IMHO stood for In My Humble Opinion, Ive seen that used here a lot.
    Now what does OEM stand for? Original something?
  • bdshortbdshort Member Posts: 27
    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer (I think)... you see it in the computer biz a lot.
    OEM is not a computer term - it stands for "original equipment manufacturer", in other words, a vendor who supplies a company like Ford with parts from which to build their cars. Many people don't realize that Ford, like every other car builder, actually makes very few of the parts that go into their cars. Ford essentially "assembles" the finished product from parts that come from all over the world, from dozens of "OEM"s. It is an amazing logistics project to make it all come together.
    I SHOULD be buying a ZX3 here in the next week or so... hopefully negotiating a price tomorrow. I am qualified for the $400 rebate for new college grads (graduation is on the 6th of May). I should apply this AFTER I have negotiated to a price I am happy with, correct?

Looking at either a rainforest green ZX3 with A/C as the only major option, or a white ZX3 with only a few minor options (smokers package, mats, engine block heater, the green one has these too). What are some fair prices on these?
    I know it's not a computer term... but you DO hear it alot, or see it a lot. Especially if you are one of the people who likes to build their own computers... OEM parts can be a lot cheaper than retail since they dont come with any extra stuff.
    thanks for clearing that up, i knew it was something to that degree. so lets get this club on the road.
  • infra_redinfra_red Member Posts: 7
    bdshort,

You're absolutely right. Negotiate your best price and then mention the $400 rebate. I used mine to purchase a '97 Aspire which we traded in for my wife's ZX3 back in November.

I did hit the jackpot with the rebates though. In February I received a $400 Alumni rebate offer. The folks at our dealership were kind enough to apply it retrospectively to our ZX3 purchase. A week later we got the $400 check from Ford. Needless to say we're very pleased :)

Stefan
  • jandloisjandlois Member Posts: 4
    even autoweek,a magazine i like,has some factual errors in the car they will be writting about for the next year...maybe the focus confuses everybody...still waiting for mine..ordered 2/4/00...dealer says...you guessed it..."any day now"...goes any longer i will change the order to a 2001...which i think they will start building this summer...the club is a good idea...go for it
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Do your homework before going into the dealers. Edmunds has a good tutorial for 'The battle' with the salesperson. In other words, only pay invoice and never MSRP, Manufacturers "Suggested" Retail Price. They also can give you an idea of how much to expect on a trade in. They offer good advice that saved me thousands.
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    have you driven one lately? club is a great idea!
  • calico1calico1 Member Posts: 52
    I agree with the nominations of drebe and silver bullet, but I would also like to consider taking Gabe up on his offer and consider Pat Cleveland as well, since Pat (like silver bullet) seems to have a lot of knowledge we have all learned from. But, if drebe and silver bullet are willing, let's just get on with it. I'm in! (and will help however you want me to, as well)
    Calico1
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Boy oh boy, you guys/gals are on the ball. If I remember right "carlady" said she needed two volunteers to host/monitor the club. You have to E-Mail her to volunteer it think. You can go to "townhall" (upper left corner to click on it) and then check out the "Cougar Club).

Drebe73 is well qualified. Proven to have great patience. Lots of experience in dealing with service managers and body department managers and customer service. If he has patience with them he should keep us well under control.

NOTE: If your new to ZX3 topic, check out the rest of the Edmunds site. Even if your not new but haven't done it, check it out. If your thinking about buying a ZX3 go back and read ALL the posts, along with Edmunds info on buying a new car. Lots of great info here.

Pat
  • hatchqueenhatchqueen Member Posts: 27
    Man, you guys. I nominated projectzx3 for one of the posts hundreds upon hundreds of posts ago. Naturally, everyone ignored me (I suspect they may misunderstand the signifigance of the name I chose). No hard feelings, I am kind of a jerk. Anyway, get this, my car came in and they claim the sold notice was "washed off". My beautiful car was test driven all weekend and someone almost bought it! I don't care any more, I AM PICKING IT UP TOMMOROW!!!!!!!! Like it or not I'll keep everyone updated as these exciting events continue. (pitch black, all options except auto.)
  • dbucklindbucklin Member Posts: 5
    Don't feel too bad, jandlois. My dealer is saying 'any day now', too. I ordered my focus on new years day.
  • dch22dch22 Member Posts: 8
    Had recall 00E09 work performed today, along with an apparent half quart overfill on the first oil change at 1,835 miles, and a tightening of the lower control arm on my wagon's rear hatch (which was rattling and difficult to close). Will drain off the extra oil tomorrow -- anyone need half a quart? :)
    get a load of this site i connected to through Ford customer connection http://www.think.no/mainframe.htm

In regards to the club, what does in entail exactly? If the moderator should be very knowledgable about all things Focus than I may not be the best candidate. I read whatever falls into my hands, and to check this site every day.
    We can do the old "no, you first, I insist!" bit all the way through part VI, and not get anywhere with forming a club... how about Pat Cleveland and Calico1? Two positive, helpful folks, and some balance with a male & female perspective. How about it? We can always take turns if you two get tired of this bunch ;-)
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Did you notice the ZX3 is in Edmunds April top five cars? We are in good company.
    Go to Edmunds Editorials , then Top Five-April

http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/editorial/top5/top5.apr.00.html
  • focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    i had ordered a RF Green ZX3 abotu 6 weeks ago thinking it would only take 6 weeks. Well when they said it would be another 6 weeks, I got mad and my dealer sourced many other dealers. They found a Malibu Blue ZX3 w/ no options and a 5-speed like I wanted (they had like 8 autos in stock) and to make sure the break in is started correctly, I am drivin down from PA w/ the dlr (200 miles). Did I mention the salesmans sister lives on the way so we are stopping there.
    That should be interesting--LOL
    So on Tuesday I will have my Blue Beauty--I CANT WAIT!!(especially to smoke all those loser automatic eclipses and civics at my school).
  • rcman1rcman1 Member Posts: 5
    Just went to carsdirect.com to get a price on ZX3. and on the options list, they offer 16" wheels and 205 50ZR-16 tires at apparently NO COST!! Is this for real? Seems too darn good to be true. And if given a choice, would a person really choose the 15" jobs? I suppose tires would be cheaper to replace, but if I can jump into a ZX3 with 16" wheels/nice rubber and A/C for a hair over 12k...I'm there!
  • silverzx3silverzx3 Member Posts: 40
    ATTENTION Foci people, there is a real problem with dealers overfilling this car with oil. Right after they change it, it is so clear (clean) that it is hard to see on the dipstick. Pay attention!

The Zetec and SPI take different oil filters. I have had two oil changes and they have used both P/N.

I know the Zetec has been around for a while but service people still crowd under my car when it is on the rack at the dealership.

I would not keep on posting this, but people still report having this problem.

Scott
  • catmomcatmom Member Posts: 42
    Found this site listed on another board. They have front end cover, temporary roof rack and bike rack, exhaust tip, etc. Prices seem kind of high.

http://www.thefordsource.com/store/motorsports/focus.htm

Don't know if I understand the difference between posting on this board or a new Focus Club board. Read the info provided by Edmunds. Can someone explain?!
  • hugozhugoz Member Posts: 82
    The Club sounds cool...drebe, pat, calico, silver bullet, ZX3beast & others -- you'd all serve us well, but I guess two of you will have to step forward to make this happen.

bdshort: on price, here's the strategy I used. I first scoped out the carsdirect.com price, knowing that they'd be a good benchmark to beat. With air conditioning as my only option, the carsdirect.com price quoted to me, a month ago when I bought, was about $12,630. Note that this included the destination charge, and this was the price for Maryland, where I live. I was ready to buy thru them, but for the heck of it, I also submitted requests for quotes from the msn carpoint.com site (a dealer near your zip code then contacts you) and autobytel.

That was on a Friday. The very next morning, I had an email from the "internet sales" representative of a local Ford dealer (responding to my carpoint.com request) with a price quote of $12,629 for the autumn orange, 5-sp with AC I requested, but also included the floor mats and smoker's package. Since this price was right under cardirect.com's price, and actually included more stuff (with destination fee included, only had to add tax and tags), I knew it was good deal, so that Saturday, I went there and picked up my car [yes - it was actually in stock], and also got zero down, 4.9 percent financing. Anyhow, the final price, not including tax, tags and $25 dealer processing fee, was about $150 or so over invoice; maybe I could have tried to get negotiate invoice, but the Edmunds web site always says that you have to expect to pay about between 1 to 3 percent for the so-called "advertising fee" to a dealer, so I figured that $150 was fair. Anyhow, I was just plain thrilled that I got the ZX3 I wanted right away, so the $150 was well worth it.

Well, that was my buying "strategy." Thanks to the internet, I never even had to actually negotiate. It was pretty painless and I think I got a decent deal.
  • hugozhugoz Member Posts: 82
    Rcman1, you're right: I just checked out the carsdirect.com price and the 16" wheels and tires are a "no charge" option. Makes me wish I had waited a little longer, but on the other hand, the price of the car has creeped up: the carsdirect.com price was about $100 higher than was quoted me just four weeks ago!
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    hi all, count me in for clubbing it! i cannot volunteer to be a leader though. my job is seasonal and i just don't have the time right now to do a thorough job. i vote for pc and silver bullet. drebe is going to be so damn happy when he gets his car (soon i pray!) that we may not hear from him for a year or so. he'll be out driving it! and who could blame him!!! about the oil overfill problem. it is serious! dealers are putting excess oil in and it causes a 'stink' that lasts and lasts and lasts. the jackasses did it to me. i will do all of my oil changes from here on. and i am NOT going back to the dealer that sold me the car for service. i will pick another for services i cannot perform. i drained 3/4 qt. excess out but the damn smell is till there. scott had his crankcase vent cleaned and i may have to as well. anyone know where it is? id rather do it as i have no faith in my dealers service dept. otherwise my hatchling is as good as new. wheels and tires go on tomorrow morning. i'll let everyone know how they work.
  • rubberbanrubberban Member Posts: 37
    I just ordered the borla cat back exhaust through ford performance. It's quite a deal. The retail on it is 450.00 but ford performance sells them for 379.99 and it comes with a borla air filter. Came out to 420.00 shipped. They are on back order through so it'll be 2-4 weeks before I get the system. For all you aftermarket junkies I have a question. I plan on getting the focussport air intake and the superchip for my focus. I was just wondering if anyone else has done any of these modifications yet. A while back someone posted info on the superchip and I was wondering if I have to custom order a superchip if I put in an intake system or can I just get the one that KKM offers. Also if someone can refer me to the information concerning aftermarket modifications and factory warranties, it would be much appreciated.
  • gmanzx3gmanzx3 Member Posts: 37
    I just installed the BMW exhaust tip. It looks a lot better, took 1 min to install, and cost less that $9. It was so easy and cheap, and looks so good that it makes you wonder why FoMoCo didn't do it to begin with.
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    i am considering factory splash guards + interior
    arm rest. pros + cons ? i would appreciate any
    input. thank you
  • wmichgradwmichgrad Member Posts: 28
    It is not necessary that a club moderator/leader/ host is extremely knowledgeable about this car. They should probably be a fan of the car, though. It should be a person who is willing to take on the responsibility of monitoring the activity and ensure it stays within the context of the club (e.g. deleting people who feel the need to "pop" in and post endless messages that insult the members).

Also, I do run a club on Yahoo! If you haven't seen it, check it out. There are many links and pics of members' Focus. There are currently 304 members, which makes it the second most popular Ford related Yahoo! club, only five members behind the top Ford club!

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/fordfocusplace
    Rubberban, check out the website for SEMA, the organization for aftermarket parts and accessory manufacturers. I understand they have info there concerning the legal issues involved when you modify a vehicle covered by a factory warranty.

FWIW, I have acquired a fair bit of experience through the "school of hard knocks" as far as bolt-on mods go. As a long time BMW CCA member and ex-Miata owner, I've done my fair share of $$$ spending on aftermarket mods. Some free advice: First ask yourself why you are changing something that an experienced automotive engineer went to a fair bit of trouble to design. Performance chips generally program the car for more ignition advance and slightly alter the injection pulse timing in a quest for a bit more power and torque. The price for doing this is a diet of ONLY premium fuel - the chip designer is making the assumption that the car will get 92 octane or better fuel, and programs accordingly. Car & Driver did a chip test several months' back, and dynomometer tests revealed how small even the best improvement was. Bottom line - the factory is darn good, and you may or may not feel an improvement in the "seat of your pants", although your wallet will always be lighter. Same deal with "performance" intake systems. Any intake that does away with the cold air provision (notice how the stock system breathes through a snorkel that pulls air right from the nose of the car?) is a compromise. Sure, it looks neat and increases the intake noise, but designers go to a lot of trouble to pull cooler, denser air into the engine for a good reason - more power! Getting air into and the exhaust out of an engine more efficiently is often the path to more power, but keep in mind that a tweak here and a mod there won't necessarily make more power - beware of claims that can't be proven on the dyno. Good luck, and have fun with your ZX3!
    OK, OK, now I have to have it. I know you guys have written about this before, but tell me again, I call my "local" BMW guy and ask for what?
    Does anyone know the part Number for the tip?
    Thanks!...Called the local BMW dealer and it's in stock...picking it up this week-end..will let you know how it looks!!
  • p345spdp345spd Member Posts: 24
    Twilite Blue zx3 w/ chrome tip. This tip was flared, oval, and angle cut(sidewise). Stuck out the same distance as original. Mighty attractive! Anyone else seen this, or do you know where to buy it.
    I've seen it on one (only spotted two hatchlings) looks pretty COOL!! The BMW service dept in the area had a few in stock. Give them a buzzz.
This discussion has been closed.