Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Eagle Talon - Need Advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    angelbellakissangelbellakiss Member Posts: 2
    I need some help from some people who know what theyre talking about, i am days away from purchasing a 93 Eagle Talon, its exterior and interior are in mint condition, theres 106k on it and the woman who owns it now says she does regular maintinence on it and she has never had a problem with the car for the last 4 years shes had it, shes selling it to me for $2000 because thats how much she needs for the new trucks down payment that she wants... this is going to be my first car and i just wanna make sure that im doing the right thing and im not getting ripped off... THANKS
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Did you check with Edmunds' Used Vehicle appraiser to see what a 93 Talon is selling for in your area?

Does your seller have records to document the maintenance she's done?
    Also, considering this vehicle is almost 10 years old with 106k miles, I strongly advise you pay a mechanic to thoroughly check out the vehicle prior to purchase. You can check in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see what kind of information (Recalls/Technical Service Bulletins) is available.

Btw, put the words "eagle talon" into the Board search (upper/left) to find other related Talon discussions throughout Town Hall. Many of them are archived, but you may find some helpful information just by reading through the messages. Others here may have more to add. Good luck and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    sarah25sarah25 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a 98 eagle talon,it does NOT have a turbo engine. I am not sure if it was an ESI, but, I think it was. It has 41,000 miles on it. The dealer is asking about $9500 for it. Please advise me to whether this is a about accurate for the price and if the '98 models are good cars, if anyone has had problems, etc. Thank You!!!
  • Options
    bpm3355bpm3355 Member Posts: 1
    i am looking at a 94 tsi awd with 73k. it is in almost perfect shape with flawless tan leather. no mods, new manual trans., new timing belt. he wants $5200. loan value is $3100, which seemed low. my friend had a 91 and loved it. i think they are cool, fast cars for the money, yet i have heard many complaints on the message board.
    what do you guys think? bpm3355@ksu.edu

thanks
  • Options
    "loan value is $3100, which seemed low"

I believe "loan value" is based on approximately 90% of the market value. At least from what I recall. Have you compared the pricing in Edmunds' True Market Value Used Vehicle Appraiser? This will give you the average cost in your area. Others here may have more to add.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    mckean109mckean109 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought my son a 1993 Turbo Talon for $2750 from a private seller. We just had $600 worth or repairs done on it>I'm not sure exactly what was done,,something to do with wheels fallin off if not done. Made awful noise like a 747 jet taking off. Thats fixed and that noise is gone and car runs good EXCEPT, there is new noise when backing up or turning,,,could it be the belts. It's pretty loud and a worrisome noise. Also had the oil changed not long ago and dip stick says no oil,,,filled it up again and there it needs oil again. There is no smoke, blue or any other color coming from car but tail pipe is black. Where might oil be going...no puddles either.
  • Options
    sorentocrazy2sorentocrazy2 Member Posts: 3
    I am the original owner of a 1990 Eagle Talon awd Turbo with 57800 original miles. I need a larger suv because of family but it pains me to sell it . The prices being offered are so low compared to the way it runs. Its always been a great car. Anybody interested, if not it will force me to put it on ebay! To those owners out there make sure you change the timing belt this is one problem people have had with this car.
  • Options
    sumendap1sumendap1 Member Posts: 2
    I want to get an opinion from you guys..I'm thinking to get a 1995 Eagle Talon with 180K is it to many miles??? what problem can occur?? I'm thinking to used this car only for 1 year or 10 K and sell it back...also the guy want it for 2k obo I know if it's a honda or toyota should be fine...
    please e-mail me at b23vd@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    1995 Eagle Talon with 180K

My best advice...Take the car to a reputable shop and spend the 60-80 bucks to have it inspected. After he gives you a 5 page report on all the work the car needs...offer the seller a 40 of his choice for the car :)

In all seriousness...there are many things to watch out for with a high mileage talon of any year.
    I dont even have the energy to list everything I know.
  • Options
    keyshawn18keyshawn18 Member Posts: 1
    Hello--

I am thinking about buying a 94 Talon TSI, auto, with 140K, the price is right at 2500 from a private owner.
    The guy is the 2nd owner, he has all records and receipts where maintainance has been done (nothing major) and the turbocharger and trans are stock, he even has the receipts of the oil changes every 3K!
    I currently am selling a 94 toyota paseo with 120K, 5spd, etc.
    I plan to keep the talon for about a year maybe 20K miles, until I can afford something new.
    I wanted the talon because it would be fun and it has power options that might yota doesn't have, plus it always helps to make $1k off a car you are selling to use other places!
    I guess what I want to know is, do you think this will be a maint. nightmare or will I be okay for a year, if I keep up on the oil changes, etc.?
    I wanted a 5spd, just can't find one and time is running out.
    Everyone's opinion will be appreciated! Thanks!
    Please respond ASAP, I am going to look at the Talon tonight, what should I expect, what should I look for?
    What is the reliability of this vehicle, since I don't have alot of money to pour into a car?
  • Options
    That's good that the seller has all the service records/receipts available. Have you had a chance to check out the JD Power and Consumer ratings in Edmunds' Used vehicle guide?

Also, you can plug your 94 Talon into Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see what kind of Recalls or TSBs (technical service bulletins) are on it. This may give you an idea of the kind of problems to look out for.

Lastly, as spyder98 suggested in post 65, not a bad idea to pay a mechanic to thoroughly check out it out. Others here may have more to add....

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
This discussion has been closed.