Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part IX

mznmzn Member Posts: 727
edited March 2014 in Ford
ZX3, wundercar! To catch the buzz, click here.

carlady/host

Comments

• projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    speaking from experience i can say this much... 1/2 to 3/4 qt overage on the zetec will cause a terrible stink of 'burnt oil' when you turn your defroster on. i had to drain the excess and put up with the smell for several hundred miles. for it to happen is simply inexcusable. i will change my own oil hence forth thank you very much.
  • mac54mac54 Member Posts: 22
    I got the SE sedan with Sport Group precisely because I DID want the spoiler and DIDN'T want the fake wood. Go for it!
  • dch22dch22 Member Posts: 8
    projectzx3 -
    I shared my oil overfill experience with you a while back and I believe the "unreplaced" filter was where the excess oil likely came from in my case too, now that you mention it. I thought the nasty oil smell had dissipated, but I still get a whiff of it ocassionally.
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    I swear I just saw those rubber mats with the focus logo on the owner's connection focus store site late last week. (I was going to order them this week) And now I go back there and the focus store has zippo! nothing! No bras, cargo nets, car covers, nada. Possibly they're still revamping the site? I noticed the owner's connection underwent quite the overhaul.

I seem to recall the floor mats coming in 3 different colors. I think they were black, graphite, and tan. Price was $46.00 for the front mats only.

I'm certainly interested!

Opinion follows:
    What's the deal with the miniscule rear floormats? They look like coasters for my lemonade! (Not that I sit back there) But they don't cover half my sole. Not worth the $22.00 to me... that's only $5 less than the front mats and they're 1/4 the size...

okay,
    enough from me... (I'm gonna look for cargo liners after work)
    Gabe

oh, to those who chose the color Rainforest Green. I finally got to see one in person over the weekend. Very nice color, I liked it a lot. That makes 8 ZX3's in town now I think...
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I didn't notice rubber mats when browsing the catalogue at the dealer, but I'd bet Weathertech mats are available for the Focus from MacNeil Automotive. They aren't pretty, but they will protect your carpet when the going gets wet and sloppy.

Yeah, those rear floor mats are hilarious. Not quite sure what Ford had in mind. Why they don't fit between the front seat tracks and extend forward is a real mystery. Maybe we can have a contest to see who has the most creative suggestion for putting them to good use :)
  • stanky73stanky73 Member Posts: 14
    Just a warning. I picked up some Ford factory mudflaps (front and back) for my zx3 last week. The back ones fit nicely and look great. Tried the front ones, and they dont even come close to fitting despite a diagram saying they will. They will fit the wagon and sedan, but not a hatchling do to extra black plastic in the wheel area. I think they will be making some for front of the zx3 in the future, but in the meantime, I might save you some aggravation. Looks like Ford does it again!
  • imsoyboyimsoyboy Member Posts: 34
    I sent an email through the Ford/ownerconnect page regarding the oil overfill issue. I'll have to wait 3 days for a response. I'll keep you all posted.
  • norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    Today, my rainforest green zx-3 (thanks for the compliment Gabe!) is undergoing minor surgery. I am having DRL installed and I will post the cost of it as soon as I can. I have a feeling that it will not be cheap. The dealer has never installed DRLs and has never had a customer request such a work order. I hope they have the competence to install it properly.

I am also getting my steering aligned. Upon receiving the 'z' the steering wheel points about 5 degrees to the right while driving in a straight line. IMO, it should be dead straight. I will also let people know if the Ford Dealer can/will fix this issue. I do not have a high opinion of Ford Dealers (the 'z' is great though and have a high opinion of the car and its manufacture) and they will have to earn my respect.

I also have a slight light rattling sound near the driver's side seat belt cover (very close to the driver's side window). It is so slight, but noticeable while driving with the windows closed and the radio off. Has anyone experienced this rattle? It is so slight that the dealer could never diagnose the problem. I am waiting for it to become worse before persuing the repair with the dealer. I assume I have 3 years to correct this problem.

All in all it is still the best new car I have ever had!

Happy Driving,

ND
    I can detect the faintest of rattles in my fiancee's ZX3 in the same area you describe. It is so faint that I'm willing to live with it until it worsens. My ZX3 was delivered with the wheel slightly off-center, and the dealer corrected it at no charge by performing a front end alignment and making a minor correction at each tie rod. We BOTH love our ZX3s, and get some interesting looks whenever we are on the road together - two silver spaceships cruising down the road :)
  • drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    Norway, I have that rattling coming from the rear somewhere. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear. It is very dominant and rather anoying. I am going to have service check it out.
    I also have rattling in the rear of the car near the button that releases the seat to fold them down. It's driving me crazy...I called the service dept regarding this and they said bring it in but they close at 5:00 pm...I leave work at 4:30 and would have to drive 120 MPH to make it. I'll have to wait for a day off.
    Ok it wasn't me this time but I passed the intersection, today, where I had my accident back in january. Guess what, another accident. That intersection is deadly.
    Well, I got a response but it not the one we were looking for here it is....
    "Dear Mr. and Mrs. ??,

Thank you for your message of 05/31/00 regarding your 2000 Ford Focus. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us with respect to oil change.

Our dealerships' staff are highly trained experts with a focus on Ford products and there are resources available to them directly from Ford
    Motor Company on proper vehicle maintenance.

Your comments have been documented and forwarded to the appropriate departments within Ford Motor Company for their records. Mr. and Mrs.
    ??, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

At Ford Motor Company, we consider the satisfaction of our customers as one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company."

You can all laugh...but I tried...
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Yea,
    but what did you expect to get from them?
    And this whole topic about the oil change!!
    Just do it yourself and never worry again :>)
    That response is a total form letter. send another comment and you will get the same response just slightly altered. Every time I wrote to complain about parts not being available, I would get the same response. E-mailing them for help is basicly useless.
  • mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    If not the club, then perhaps the auto-taser?

http://www.autotaser.com/Products/AUTOTSR.htm
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    Hey Catsoft,
    Do those floormats you mentioned have the focus logo on them?

thanks for the part #'s
    Gabe
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    In most stolen vehicles, the owners are kind enough to leave the keys for the person who steals the vehicle.

Pat
  • hkoenen2hkoenen2 Member Posts: 70
    Ok, I admit it, I don't use my CD and I am addicted to AM talk radio.

Is anyone having problems with their radio reception on AM? I am getting a lot of background noise specially when the brake lights are on. Any suggestions?
  • tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    I have no problems with AM or FM reception. Do you have generally weak signals in your area?
  • jedimaster1jedimaster1 Member Posts: 32
    Hi Gypo,

I am also in GA. I live in Atlanta, and I, too, have not seen a ZX3 on the Road. I have seen many sedans and even a few wagons, but the only ZX3s I have seen besides my car are the ones in the Ford lots! Wonder why there aren't many people in Atlanta who aren't buying them?
    My AM Reception is great, almost to good. Sounds like you have a loose bulb or bad connection or bad ground somewhere.
    Pat
    Several folks have mentioned the scarcity of ZX3 sightings in their areas. More than any other car I can recall, the ZX3 (and to a lesser extent, the sedan & wagon) really polarizes people - either you get it, or you don't. Of all the people I've shown my car to, I can't recall one neutral reaction... people either love it or hate it. Unlike the New Beetle and PT Cruiser, the ZX3 is a fresh design that doesn't rely on "cute" or "retro" as an excuse or justification. I guess most people prefer to follow the herd...
    Yeah, I know about herd followers. I, for one, HATE the PT Cruiser. I first saw it 2 years ago in the design stages. Hated it then...hate it now...

You're right about the love it or hate it. I like that about it.
    I restarted the count. On the way to 100, I've now seen 57 Foci of all types. 10 of those 57 have been ZX3s. That's 17.5%.

I'll keep you updated.

Remember, Seattle folk are quick to embrace funky cars. Always have been. And you should see the number of VWs in this area. It's absurd. Both my roommates and one of their girlfriends have one each.
  • catsoftcatsoft Member Posts: 15
    Yep, the picture shows "Focus" in stylized text on the rubber (sorry, "vinyl") mats. Same picture shows three of them in different colors: Off-white, gray, and black. So it seems you can order them in any of these colors.

B.t.w. love that reference to The Auto Taser!
    I'd leave the doors unlocked, keys in the ignition, and park it in the middle of NY, just to see a thief get zapped... ;)
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    silver bullet- i was told 3 to 4 buiness days
    for map/dome light. floor mats-are they carpeted logo or rubber/vinyl? i am waiting to hear back from my other source. they do have reg.carpeted mats /front 37.00 -no logo. im
    trying to hunt down logo part no.
    rattles- are you guys sure its not a loose snake?...........just kidding!
    The mat set I ordered was medium graphite carpet, with the Focus logo - a front set only. Good news about the dome lamp... I'll call my dealer one more time before cancelling the order.
    i was relating our concerns regarding oil overfill to a co-worker who is also a car enthusiast.his brother is a ford mechanic-
    he swears by the following story,a man +
    (i hate to admit it,in my age group) walks into
    ford service complaining that no matter how much oil he put in the car, it wouldnt fill-up and
    it wouldnt start.when asked how much oil was
    put in,he responded,about 25 qts. needless
    to say he was looking in the crankcase. now,
    is that a genius or what?
    silver bullet -ill check back in tomorrow with
    an update. i was quoted 27.19 for map/dome
    light.i think i can do better with my other source. i like those 2 upgrades myself.
    stanky73-thanks for the heads -up on the mud
    flaps,i was consideringinstalling them as well
    ihave a hard time picking up rattles + noises
    one suggestion-green grass + high tides-
    set the volume to about 15 to 20. you will hear
    more pleasant rattles for about 9 1/2 min.
    may i correct my poor grammar + spelling
    i even use spell chek.........i know it!
  • zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    Imsoyboy:
    Thanx for hunting for answer to "oil overfill" thingy. Is that "owners connection" place (that you posted e-mail to) located at Ford's www.ford.com website ?
    If so, and they're as useless as you experienced, I'm glad I haven't bothered to register there.

Silver-B:
    Thanx for the BMW chrome-tip Part#.
    I wonder if Borla Exhaust is worth the money, if I plan no further performance-mods (except maybe tires).
    Someone said I'd get maybe 5hp more, plus a loud rumbling sound that might attract cops.
    Also, I've never seen anyone describe exactly what exhaust-system pipes/mufflers, must be cut off, to make way for it.
    Would a Ford dealer likely do it, or would he scream "warranty problem"?

zx3Beast:
    I hope your z is still swinging smoothly along.
    Here's a funny one, for you.....
    I was happily cruisin' down the Pike at 50mph in my Autumn z, in heavy traffic. (260mi. on it now, "How sweet it is!"--Jackie Gleason).
    Suddenly I heard a loud shout on the passenger side of road.
    I looked over and cruisin' next to me was a fancy black Pickup truck, a big, bearded young stud driving --- half-hanging outta his window, yelling at me .... "WHAT IN H--- IS THAT???!! THAT SURE AIN'T NO CAR!! --- WHAT IN THE FRIGGIN' WORLD, IZZIT???!!"
    I laughed, waved, gave him a thumbs-up .... he laughed, waved back, and took off.
    (Sheesh!! I dunno if I should be depressed, or not).
    zx3
    zx3- he is right, its not a car. its a one of a kind,well-appointed,fine looking,more bang for the
    buck,super-utility,lean,.mean,,smooth-sailing
    in his face,wishes he had one machine.the guy just
    didnt get it,thats all.
    zx3beast, the Pickup truck driver was the only "bad" compliment (if you can call it that, 'cause he was laughing). Here's a coupla goodies....

Got a compliment from an old guy sitting in his car at the Mall (when I pulled up, and parked at 45degree angle next to light-pole barrier, for purpose of keeping my little z safely away from "door-banging ladies" in their SUV's) ....
    "That is a very pretty car".

Saturday, drinking coffee in shop, a couple complemented the Autumn Orange z.
    He..."That's the Ford Focus I saw on TV. Nice". She..."a beautiful car".

Today, at body shop, the whole crew came out to see it parked there, gleaming in the sun. (Bless, Meguiars liquid carnuba wax "Gold Coast").
    "I gotta get one of those for my Mother to run around town in, she'll really like it".....
    "I love that color, very unusual"......
    "What nice detail and workmanship" ....
    "Can we see the engine? ---Wow, a beeeootiful-lookin' 16-valver!" ....
    "Look at the fancy chrome letters, on top of the engine: FOCUS" (I had peeled them off the rear of the z and put them on top of the Zetec engine, next to word FORD) ....
    "Hey pal, you got one fine machine there"....
    Bla, bla, bla.... the body shop was temporarily at a standstill, the crew outside around my car.
    I was pleased, the words were from Auto Body pro's who know/appreciate, detail n' quality.

So maybe Ford did build a real winner in the Focus, and their designers were justified in their decision to go for "unique, bold" styling.

I now got 275 trouble-free mi. on the car.
    When engine is fully-warm, and I stop at a redlight, sometimes I have to glance at Tach to see if the "silence" means a dead engine. (It ain't. She reads 800rpm).
    My superb, trusty old (8-valve) VW-GTI never idled this quiet, never idled this vibration-free.
    Hmmmm, wonder how long it will stay this way?
    zx3
    zx3-your z will last as long as you maintain it.
    obviously,time will tell about the reliability.
    my gut tells me-dont sweat it.this baby is a winner! as far as compliments,i am always asked by
    young+old,male+female,about the z.they all comment
    about the "look" in a positive way. ford designers
    should be applauded for actually bringing the radical
    look to fruition.i bet you that the competition is
    scrambling to come up with copies.the z will become
    the benchmark hatchback in which other mfg.will have to strive to compete.i believe ford has gotten
    a giant headstart.its really funny looking back,but
    hondas first intro here was a 2cyl.600cc engine.
    over the years the civic has garnered a fine reputation in spite of that effort.ford has a storied history in producing classic autos and they still get slammed by the uninformed.thats their loss as i see it.five years from now will still be gloating!
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    as you all probably know ive had the borla system on our zx3 for quite a while now. it is a high quality system for sure. the only cutting necessary is on the original exhaust to remove it...one clean cut.. no big deal. the borla system fits better than the original. the system is louder than i expected. oddly enough it is louder at slow speeds than highway cruising. my sons loves it and i do too depending on my mood. but there are times the noise gets on my nerves. its a real attention getter (zx3 already is) and i get tired of everyone looking over at my wife and i when we drive it. guess they figure 'what are those old farts doing '!

hey did the driver of that gas guzzling, out-dated, piece of you know what have as he would have put it..... 'any teefs'? hehe
    I did in fact send the e mail through the owner connect part of the Ford.com web page. Not much info unfortunately. I'm due for my first oil change June 15. I will mention not to overfill to the service guys when I bring it in.
    I have only had two experiences where people have stopped to compliment my car. Once from the woman driving the jeep and once from the maintainence guys that work at my apartment complex. I guess the Pitch Black doesn't stand out as much as the Autumn Orange does.

Project:
    My Buddy has a civic hatchback with a very loud exhaust, alas you never have to worry about him sneeking up on you. In your case you will always catch you son sneeking in after curfew. I prefer a silent car so a new exhaust is not something I am going to invest in. I do want to get a spoiler, the back of the car is just begging for one.
  • yan_etsyan_ets Member Posts: 2
    I'am looking for a supership... Who have try it yet? Does it fix the hesitation\bugging problem?
    Yan
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    According to www.blueovalnews.com , the 2001 ZX3 will have a factory sunroof available. Also, new yellow, gold, and blue colors will be added.
    As we know, Twilight Blue is available now, so I'd guess that Fort Knox Gold (currently a sedan color) is being phased in, along with Zinc Yellow (which Ford is calling Egg Yolk Yellow for the Focus). As Pat has mentioned, Ford makes a color (like CD Silver), and calls it different things for different models - the color code "TS" is listed on the touch-up stick as "Silver Frost Clear Coat".
  • torinopaddytorinopaddy Member Posts: 55
    Got home to a message on the answering machine from Ford to say the car was ready. Only a question of days now! Yes, my State Blue Focus (with "Advance Trac" as you guys call it, ESP here) is coming home.

More will follow.
  • frankjayfrankjay Member Posts: 11
    I e-mailed Jackson Racing and they said their ZX3 supercharger kit would be available at the end of June or July and it would be priced at $2995.

This is the same Eaton supercharger as on their Miata, Civic, etc. kits and also the same brand used by OEMs on their factory supercharged cars. It is a roots supercharger which means plenty of low end boost (2psi at idle!). Should be interesting!
    Torinopaddy, I'm very interested in hearing your impressions once the car arrives. Will your ESP-equipped car come with the 16" alloys like it does in the U.K.? How about 4 wheel disc brakes?
    Project:
    I cracked up, when I read your post about "Exhaust Noise" and "Pickup Truck Driver".

Imsoyboy:
    Thanks anyway for the good try. I guess we're on our own (oil-overfill matter) as far as Ford Co. is concerned. I'll probably let the dealer do it for the $28. If an "overfill" blows the engine, he has no excuse, no leg to stand on (as far as "who pays" for new engine).

Drebe:
    Black is a real stand-out, a real knock-out. "Cool". "Hi-tech". I wanted to get one. People in your neighborhood need new eyeglasses.

I visited AutoTaser site, read literature about their "anti-theft" thingy. I'm not impressed.
    It looks like a silly gimmick. A simple pair gloves, neutralizes it (shock).
    So, the only "alarm" about it, is the siren. (Big deal). I notice they're a little coy, about telling you the price ("just contact an AutoTase Dealer!") ... Yeah, sure.
    zx3
    For those of you who don't speak Italian slang..."boh" means "beats me" (essentially).

I'm actually very pleased with the disc/drum etup in this car. Drum brakes have come a long way, and they seem to make a nice combo. Plus I only have to clean that damned dust off of the fronts =[
    Best of luck and much happiness with your new car. You waited a long time. Hope you have a blast with it on the roads.
    zx3
    silver bullet-had hoped to have answer today from
    other source,ill check back in tomorrow.i do this
    for a living all day long but in another industry.
    always on the phone,except when home.
    brakes- i also like the set-up.disc/drums.in fact,i
    found myself stopping quicker + sooner.unlike other
    cars i owned. they work exceptionally well.
    torinopaddy-good luck!+ enjoy.
    I agree with you on our brakes - they are well matched to the car, modulate well, have very good pedal feel, and stop the car authoritatively. It is true that the old "if some is good, more must be better, and too much is just right" philosophy does not apply to automotive brakes. The best system is the one properly matched to the car's weight and performance characteristics. Look at the embarrassing performance from the 4 wheel discs on the Civic Si - they have longer stopping distances than the disc/drum set up on the cheaper EX coupe... of course, I haven't seen any stats on how they compare fade-wise. When I got my ZX3, I figured I would research the conversion to Contour SVT rear discs, but I'm not so convinced it would be worthwhile. I do plan on fitting EBC Green Kevlar pads when they become available, just to be rid of the dust problem. More serious summer compound tires would help the braking performance as well...
    Saw a real nice "pitch black" ZX3 in Buffalo, got off I-90 onto Rte 33, going toward downtown. Don't see to many up here in western NY.

This past weekend my neighbor saw a "infra red" ZX3, all decked with spoiler and ground effects, in Salamanca, NY. Would have liked to seen it in person. He wants to race (drive) my ZX3. Might take him for a ride someday.

Getting my K&N air filter and dug deflector tomarrow (finally).

Pat
    pat- does the air-induction have to be changed to
    accommodate this filter style? what immediate benefits are derived? thanks!
This discussion has been closed.