Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part XI

Comments

• mattozzi_ajmattozzi_aj Member Posts: 24
    Hey zx3-I vote for #2 color combo-won't show as much dirt-plus I think it will look cool against the autum orange car! I know what you mean about cloth seats-would love to have the covers that they put in the kona editions-those are way cool!!
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    I vote for (1)"Car-color" w/"black piping".
    The thought of sitting on black vinyl in my walking shorts is painful. :>{
  • stanky73stanky73 Member Posts: 14
    I have been to the dealer three times for the pass. side water leak near the upper left part of the rug under the dash. The foamy pad there between the carpet and the black plastic gets soaked and it appears to be coming down the black plastic above it. I really can't see much else back there since you would have to pull out the dash I would think. Anyway, the body shop looked at it three times with the TSB #'s I got from this group. It is still doing it, but I really think it is the AC leaking inside after I did some tests this weekend with rain and AC. Can this be fixed? I have seen this happen on some older cars, but I don't want it to happen on my new ZX3!!! Is there a deflector or something that might be broke that is supposed to pass this water outside the vehicle. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • brettzx3brettzx3 Member Posts: 28
    I absolutely agree that it's the other people's fault! The lights are cool where they are and I like them there. People just don't know to look for them there. Oh well, they'll get over it!

zx3beast - Roxborough is a pretty safe section of the city. I like it. I think that our next step will probably be MontCo in a few years. Philly schools are not up to par and we'll need a good school district eventually. And, yup, got lotsa cops in Roxborough too. I live in a great section in the "valley." There are quite a few foci in the Rox area. More 4 doors than ZX3's though (I don't get that - why would anyone pick a 4 door over the cool ZX3???). I have a little one too (3 yo in Oct) and we manage just fine. Our other car is a couple too - 2000 Monte Carlo SS. I guess we're just partial to those types. I shouldn't judge - nevermind . . .

Sorry about your coffee stain, but happy to hear that you got it out. Weren't you using your Focus Mug? Cool mug, but you have to tilt it a little to get it out of the holder. Nice gift though.

How's everyone enjoying those big watches? Anybody want mine? It's a little (a lot) too big for me. I don't have the box, or the instructions, anymore. Just the watch. It's brown(ish).
    I'll trade you brettzx3 for my pink watch!!!

--Joe
  • jamers85jamers85 Member Posts: 100
    i dont understand this. the car is less than a year old with a defective alternator. Ford Co wont give me a loaner car because i didn't purchase the EXTRA CARE SERVICE PLAN which will entitle me a loaner car if the car breaks down. Dont you think a loaner should be provided during the original warranty. Why purchase extra care ....all the parts suppose to be intact when the car is new. and Ford should accomodate their customers when something happen to your engine specialy when it's not event a year old.....frustrated again!!!!!! does anyone know who i can contact beside the customer service online.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    silver bullet,
    Advanced Track doesn't come bundled with rear disk brakes.
    You don't even have to trade me - you can have it. I'm sure it's just as big in pink, but probably looks even bigger! I can mail it to you, just let me know where.
    Hey thanks. At the risk of getting mail bombs from folks who might be mad at me, here is my address-

Joe Stankovich
    1 Aletta St Apt 13
    Saratoga springs, NY 12866

I see you are from Philly. I am from the Poconos area - but love Philly. Hope to move south in the not too distant future to save my Z from the killer winters up here! Arrgggh.

Take care and thanks,
    Joe
  • wbzx3fanwbzx3fan Member Posts: 10
    We are looking to buy a malibu blue ZX3 5 speed, with air conditioning and power windows/locks. This late in the year, we're wondering if anyone has any suggestions on if we should keep looking for a 2000 like we want it or just go ahead and order a 2001? The problem is that since we've been test driving them, we want to get into one now, not wait 6-8 weeks like our dealer suggested an order would take. For the price (just slightly higher for the 2001 with speed control too) we feel like we should get the 2001. Somebody want to talk us into waiting? Suggestions? Comments?
  • tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    When your dealer says 6-8 weeks, what he means is 11-12 weeks. I think it's some sort of exchange rate problem =].

Anyway, I think it's worth the wait to get exactly what you want, but my wait was pretty tough. But if you do decide to order, realize that 6-8 weeks is not 6-8weeks. That's been the general experiece of people on these boards. I'd call around your area if you'r eimpatient, but if you can stick it out, a brand-new, neve-ever test driven, just like you want it ZX3 is worth it.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    No disk brakes, eh? Better send an email to AutoWeek - their reporter slipped up!
    Thanks for the dealer-speak interpretation, but that makes the decision even harder. Can we wait 12 weeks? We were kind of hoping that since the 2001's are near coming out that we might get one sooner. Wishful thinking, huh :]?
    It's on its way! I just packaged it (and I use that term loosely). I'll mail it on my way out of work today. Good luck with it. If there's a way to delete your message with your address in it go ahead, everything's all done. I haven't been to the Poconos in about 3 or 4 years. It sure is nice up there, but I bet it is brutal on cars! After you get the watch post something so I know that you received it, hopefully undamaged. Now you'll have two - maybe you can start a collection of really big watches :-)
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Jamers85,

Ask the salesman you brought you Z from if you could use his demo while yours if being fixed. If he wants to sell to you again, I bet he will let you use it, unless its against dealership policy.
    Remember, loaners are a dealer thing, not a Ford thing.

Pat
  • 9joker99joker9 Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a ZX3 with the proper amenities, such as AC, Power Windows, Antilock brakes, what should I exspect to pay. Thank you.
    J Eaqgan
  • miata23miata23 Member Posts: 26
    WBZX3,

Togneter is right about the "actual" wait time for a ZX3 on order - I was promised 8 weeks, it
    really took 11 weeks.

I think you can find a ZX3 with those options but only in another color, sorry to say. Your dealer should be able to canvass his area of other dealers in a day or two to determine how close
    (s)he can come to meet your specs. Then you can
    decide whether to wait or not.

I recommend putting up with waiting - It was no fun - esp. the final weeks, but I'm glad I did !
    9joker9,

Based on the posting I've seen, it seems that you should be able to get a ZX3 with your specs for 1-3% over the "dealer invoice" price - see Edmunds.com to determine the "dealer invoice" price for a ZX3 with the options you want
  • zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    Your vote was:
    #2 ...."black vinyl front seats with orange piping around edges" (for my Autumn Orange z).
    Thanks for the vote. My GTI had same color-combo.
    It was nice.
    zx3
    Kd: thanks for the post.
    So you think I went from conventional oil to Synthetic oil "too early"? I should have waited till 5000mi. before switching over?
    I've heard you shouldn't switch an older engine (40 or 50K) to Synthetic oil --- but haven't heard you shouldn't switch "too early, either".
    Now you got me worried.
    Maybe I should go back to conventional right away.

Here's some "history" on my z .....
    Sometimes, idling at red traffic lite, I glance at Tach to see if engine is running.
    Engine is that smooth n'quiet .... from Day-One (34 miles on odometer) to present day (2000 mi. on odometer).

At 600 mi. changed oil n'filter. Replaced with same conventional oil n'filter.
    At 900 mi. I noticed gas mileage had climbed from 25mpg (80% hiway) to 31mpg (80% hiway) I attribute this to engine beginning to break-in, more n'more.

At 1300 mi. changed from conventional oil to Mobil-1 Synthetic oil. Changed filter.
    At next fill-up (1500mi. on odometer) I noticed gas mileage had dropped from 31mpg to 28mpg (80% of driving is hiway, both cases). The drop might have been due to my driving. I don't know. A couple hundred miles later, at next fillup, it was back to 31mpg (80% hiway).

Since changing to Synthetic, engine is not quieter. In fact it might be a smidgen noisier. I'm not sure. 'Cause it's that small a change.

Kdominczak, what do you think?
    Also Silver/B, P/C2, what do you think?
    I'm at 2000mi. now. Should I play safe, go back to conventional oil till 5000mi.?
    Big Thanks, guys.
    zx3
  • njzx3njzx3 Member Posts: 170
    whoever said that the 6-8 weeks was nothing but dealer talk is right... i Irdered my Z on may 30th and the delivery date is september 4th... thats about 12-13 weeks... so to WBZX3, if you do order, be prepared for a 3+ month wait. It's not fun, i assure you that... but in the end, it'll be well worth it... you'll have exactly what you wanted, and you wont have to settle for less off a dealers lot somewhere.

good luck on your purchase!
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    zx3- i would not sweat over the early oil change.
    wether you use synthetic or refined oil,what harm
    could you possibly do in changing it early or
    often? it is a lubricant,the cleaner the better.
    however,once you switch,it is probably a good idea
    to keep going with the synthetic.as far as seat covers go,what color is your present interior?
  • domingos34domingos34 Member Posts: 27
    went to the dealer for first oil chance on my ZX3 nd guess what?after the machanic was done he drove the car off the service bay to park it.i paid for the oil change and before i left the dealer i checked the oil level and THERE WAS NO OIL IN THE ENGINE NONE.the mechanic forgot to put the oil in the engine and drove the car with no oil for a couple minutes.i had it running for a cuople minutes also without realizing it had no oil""(before i checked it)what kinda damage if any could this have caused to the engine? the car seems to be running fine but i am concerned that i might have problems in the future.what can i do?also the dealer is offering 2 free oil changes to make up to me.what should i do?
  • kkankkan Member Posts: 18
    togneter,

I was in the same boat that you are in, after test driving a new ZX3 I wanted it right then and there. But when doing my research I learned that the 2001 was going to come with a better option package. It seams like Ford learned from the first year of having the Focus on the market what options we customers want. So they bundled them together. Do a little looking at the Premium Group 50 P and compare the price with getting all the same options individually. AC alone is over $700. Then add in the fact that you can get a moonroof. As much as I hate to do it I corded mine and am now waiting it out.

I have herd from my dealer that I should expect to wait 6 to 8 weeks. After doing a little surfing I found a site that helped explain why, the factory that will make our focus does not start 2001 production until Aug. 21 00. So I am settled down for a long wait.
  • hkoenen2hkoenen2 Member Posts: 70
    stanky73

so which one is your zx3? Been driving my red one around Saratoga since November unless I park it at New Country for repairs.
    Hi Hkoenen2. Mine is the silver one with tinted rear windows, BMW exhaust tip, and a PA plate. I haven't seen any others in 'Toga. Lots of sedans though it seems. Had mine since Feb. Bought it in PA but it is at New Country at least every other week for repairs! Oh well. Maybe I'll see you there sometime.

Take care,
    Joe
  • jamers85jamers85 Member Posts: 100
    thanx for the idea about the demo....i'll check it out today if my car is not yet ready
  • zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    So I leave on a road trip away from computers and look what happens! I've been trying to trade my PINK *gag* baby G for ages....oh well :)

So the trip and the Z's performance. Drove from Chicago to Minneapolis. No real problems...gas milage about 35 MPG total highway miles - using A/C sparingly. Regarding the A/C vs. rolling the window down - it was nice out so I had the windows down A/C off. Now, regarding gas milage, is the drag created by the windows greater and harder on the car than if I had the A/C on? I wanted the A/C off, but I was wondering about that.

Bought my ZX3 June 24th, I now have 5200 miles on it.

2nd thing - as some of you know my brakes were SQEALING since day 1, finally the dealer "fixed" the problem by putting on new pads (that was on the 29th of July - last weekend) The squealing went away but NOW the rotors are warped and the car was shaking VERY badly on the wet tollroad on the way back when I used the brakes...I was pretty pissed and scared I'd lose brake power all together 'cause it felt like it was slipping. Anyway, brought it into the dealer yesterday morning, they said they'd have to resurface the rotors could I leave it all day? First of all they said it was a manufacturer problem (the rotors being warped) I think that's BS considering I had no problems with them until they put the new brake pads on and the paper work said they resurfaced them. I guess it's not that big of a deal but I had to leave my Z there all day yesterday (so I was without a car spent my vacation day sitting on my [non-permissible content removed]) only to get a call about 5pm saying they "misplaced" my paperwork, it never got back to the techs so it never got done (just sat there all day). Told 'em they'd have to cough up a loaner then.

They did - a Focus SE Wagon. Interesting ride. It's automatic which is driving me nuts - I didn't realise just how much I LOVE my 5 sp until now. One thing I did notice was the little twist switch for intermittant (sp!!!) wipers. I thought zx3's were supposed to come with those, my doesn't have them - and I didn't even thinkg about it until now....hhhmmmmm.....

and a final question I have been meaning to ask forever. I don't have my plates yet - and in IL you are required to have a front plate. Even though it looks as though there's a little rectangle on the front bumper of the Z in the shape of a plate, there aren't any places to attatch it. No holes, no screws - nothing. Ummm, am I missing something?

thanks for your help all!!!

Per usual you guys ROCK.

p.s. Skater4 - re: the dumb girl thing. Everyone here is really helpful, you won't get that here - the fellas and other ladys like to help anyone and everyone. Where else can we share all of the silly knowledge gathered over the years?

pps. zx3 beast - thanks for your kindness
    I had no idea I'd come to enjoy a leather wrapped steering wheel of all things! It was the last thing on my mind when buying my ZX3 but now that I have the wagon w/o it, the grip feels funny - and my hand seems to slip. I don't know....call me crazy.........
    thanks for your letter.u thing i should demand a new engine or even demand a new car.what are my options?i don't want to have engine problems down the road. after all i have have 5 long years of payments and want a car with no problems.i noticed that the engine was very hot but the temperature gauge was like it was before this happend.also felt like engine was working harder then before.don't know what to do. HELP.......THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.
    thanks for your letter.u thing i should demand a new engine or even demand a new car.what are my options?i don't want to have engine problems down the road. after all i have have 5 long years of payments and want a car with no problems.i noticed that the engine was very hot but the temperature gauge was like it was before this happend.also felt like engine was working harder then before.don't know what to do. HELP.......THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.
    kkan, njzx3, miata23 and togneter - Thank you so much for your responses. We are going tomorrow to order our 2001 ZX3 with the premium group and power group (have to order them together?, but wanted both anyway). Even though the wait will be torture, we'll get what we want. Nobody in a seven state radius of us had what we wanted anyway. Now for the impossible 6 week (to 3 month) wait! (Dealer still says 6, but I'd believe you guys over him.)
    According to a story posted on Aug 7, 2000 on Autonews.com, there is a defective crank bolt on the Kona bike that came on that special ZX3 - owners are being notified by mail by their Ford dealer.
    Zgrrrl, welcome back! You are having a bad time with brakes - you must be a crazy woman behind the wheel ;-) Seriously, if a light resurfacing can't take out the warp, ask them to put on new rotors. Peronally, I never resurface rotors, I replace them. Resurfacing them reduces the thickness, which means less metal to absorb (and dissipate) heat. I would think ZX3 rotors would be pretty cheap - and hopefully not on back order!
    As far as the front plate - I left mine off! TX requires one as well, but I don't like the way they look, so I'm going to drive "naked" until a cop tells me to put it on. You'll notice two tiny pilot holes drilled in the front bumper where the plate goes - the plates just attaches with two sheet metal style screws, turned into those little pilot holes.

Domingos34 - at this point about all you can do is FULLY document your claim with Ford in cse bad stuff happens later due to their stupidity. Make sure there is a paper trail to support your claim if you need to make one down the road.
    Wild woman behind the wheel? Yes, yes...at times. BUT I was VERY careful to break in my brakes from day 1, and regardless....they were SCREACHING since day one (but you probably remember the posts still got your original pads in the baggie?) Like I said, I thought they'd fix the problem with the new pads. Brakes still squeaking a bit but I just take that as the normal metallic sound y'all have been talking about. No problem there! After they did that, I was taking it easy on the new pads as well...I remember you saying something about that before...but even if I wasn't, would that really warp the rotors that much? I mean the car was S-H-A-K-I-N-G when I applied the brakes, even when it was an easy brake at 20mph.

And I know, I know, I seem to be the only person with this problem...but wild woman or not...this shouldn't be happening (errr, right?)

:)
    You are quite correct - warped rotors don't "just happen". Do you live in a hilly area that requires you to use the brakes hard and often? Rotors can warp when they get used heavily, then cooled too quickly - like descending a long downgrade or doing lots of hard stopping, then splashing the brakes with cool water (from a puddle or with a hose while washing). From my BMW days, warped rotors are common on several models of that car, but the cause is usually excessive heat from too many high speed stops or track abuse. A puzzle. IDEALLY, you would install new pads only with new or just resurfaced rotors, but most shops ignore this approach. I think new rotors are in order - ideally with a better pad than Ford provides (like the EBC pad I'm running now). And yes, I still have my original pads in a ziplock bag, although I don't know why - I'll never put them back on the car.
    Well, I called earlier and they've "taken care of the problem" but I doubt they put new rotors on (oh well) we'll see how it goes...

In a hilly area? Nope, I am a flatlander in IL. Most of my commute is highway miles so it's not a lot of stop and go. When I do brake I try to slow it down then take it easy, but have had to hit it hard on occasion. Like I said, we'll see. It just seems so - odd.

thanks for the advice and about those brake pads - I imagine you have lots of that stuff sitting around ...as long as the fiance doesn't mind sharing her living space with brake pads and the likes I am sure you're fine with it (in an orderly fashion, of course!) - you never know where they'll wind up - maybe another z owner will have my same problems!
  • mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    domingos34,

If the mechanic really added no oil when he changed your's, I'm amazed that no big red light on the dash came on telling you (and the mechanic) that there wasn't any oil pressure, and you had to find this out by checking the dip stick.

Do you suppose there might have been residual amounts of oil left in th sump, enough to pressurize the lubrication system?

--Mike
    one more thing.....so I have to get some small screws and bore my own hole into the bumber from the starting where those tiny tiny holes are?
  • drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    I saw someone driving a Kona Focus in my town for the first time. The metalic dirt color is nice but not a color I would choose. Another thing I wasn't crazy about was the two metal bars that stick straight up on the bike rack. It just looked odd. I wonder if they can be losened and positioned flat. Im wondering how heavy the bike is because it would suck if you lost your balance while trying to get the bike on the rack and droped the bike on the car. If I planned to carry a bike I'd most likely put down a blanket and put it in the hatch. Oh by the way I started to buy the synthetic brushed aluminum dash trim for my focus. I just have the vent rings right now and I love how it looks, it is a very nice contrast with the dark interior.
    do u guys know of any samples that i can use to write a complaint letter.and by the way thaks for the advice SILVER BULLET and MKNIGHT. i appreciated it.
    do u guys know of any sample letters that i can use to write a complaint letter.and by the way thanks for the advice SILVER BULLET and MKNIGHT. i appreciated it.
  • hkoenen2hkoenen2 Member Posts: 70
    Joe, when at New Country ask for Carmen to work on your car. He seems to know what he is doing.
    Ask your dealer's parts guys to give you a couple of screws for the front plate - it is the same one that is used to attach the rear plate. From the sound of things, they have plenty of loose screws around there, so I'm sure they can spare a few. Did you notice the little pilot holes? Don't worry about enlarging them - the plastic is soft and the screws will cut their own threads as you tighten them. Don't overdo it (like with your brakes - just kidding!! :):) ) or you'll strip out the hole.
    tiny
    Lose screws everywhere you are right. I'll give it a try but I don't want to do any damage. but those holes just seem soooooooooo
    'beast, thanks for the oil input. As for the present color of my enterior, it's dark charcoal, which I guess most everyone has.
    (But it's the durn cloth that's bugging me).
    Whatever color I choose for seats (wether one or two colors) the "dark grey/black" sheen of the doors, handles, dashboard, etc. will blend nicely with them. That's the nice thing about grey and blackish-grey.
    zx3
    i had suspected that your rotors were warped.i
    would not accept anything less than new rotors.
    you are entitled to replacements under warranty.
    i would not allow them to get away with just a re-
    surface.im willing to bet they knew they were warped from the beginning of your problem.i do not like
    the idea of a re-surfaced rotor,especially on a
    brand new model.thats just plain total b.s. on
    the dealers part.there was nothing wrong with your
    money,when you took delivery.heres hoping you get what you want.
    very sharp looking vehicle.reminiscent of the mid 70's + early 80's styling.what color did you get
    + what size engine.my brother-in-law bought one be-
    fore the new body-style change.i call it a 2dr.
    lumina.i do like the look of the new model though.
    best of luck with it.
    no question about it,black is a tough nut to keep clean. my exterior is black,interior is medium
    graphite,more like gray. always looks clean,hides
    dust well.seat covers is a good idea,you have to hook me up with the place,where you order them at.
    i want to get a pair for fronts,for my afternoon
    coffee spills. i can only take so many spills on
    the lap,it starts to hurt after awhile.how about
    going with a gray and exterior color matching
    piping?has it been hot and sticky in your area? its been
    nasty the past 2 weeks in the philly area and thats
    not even taking in account the convention being here.i had many opportunities to drive z through some
    floods.performed like a champ.
This discussion has been closed.