Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Hatchbacks

jemezbeejemezbee Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Honda
My grandson wants to buy my 89 Honda Accord LX-i
hatchback/coupe(?), (called 3 door by the
dealer)but I think it is rare and a collectors item
and that he should buy my VW golf (also 89)
instead. The Honda has less than 35,000 miles.

Is my Honda a rarity? It is so sporty looking.

Comments

• lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Collector's item? Not hardly. I don't think any Accord, as good as they are, could be called a "collector's item." There are just too many of them. Although, 35,000 miles on an '89 Honda IS a rarity. Is it a 5-speed or an automatic?
  • jemezbeejemezbee Member Posts: 4
    The hatchback is 5 speed. I thought it might become popular like a 60's Mustang eventually (although that is not why it was bought).
    But if not, I guess I probably should sell it before it loses any more value. It is NOT an easy car to get in and out of when you have a bad back!
    Thanks for your reply!!
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    How much are you asking for the Honda? Where do you live? I may be interested. Any rust on the body? e-mail me if you want: only1harry@aol.com
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
    I was going to ask the same thing! Harry beat me to it.
    In my pre-research dreams I had thought it would be worth about 10K. I guess thats a little high, and the reason for my ? was to find out a fair price - but on the other hand it is almost perfect - theres one scratch near the driver side key done by a malevolent stranger person and one small dent on the bottom of the hatchback lid where the garage door came down on it. It's been in the garage almost all the time - We haven't even washed it often so the burgundy color is still good. The car is in New Mexico, sorta far from where you are I bet. Interior is ivory, clean. But what do you think is a fair price?
    NO RUST. NM is too dry. NO color fading either.
    The best place to find a fair price would either be right here on Edmunds or at www.kbb.com. Honestly, '89 Accords don't get much; there are just too many of them. However, the condition and especially mileage will be definite plusses.
  • cinemafiacinemafia Member Posts: 57
    Although having only 35k miles is a plus, I wouldn't expect much more than $4500 for an '89 Accord. They're not rare at all, I see 3-door Accords all the time out here in L.A. With the low miles you could look for a max of $6000 on a good day with a desperate, cash-laden buyer. I can't imagine anyone giving you anymore, even though Hondas are quite popular these days. Of course a very silly friend of mine bought a '92 Accord for $14k a few years back. I told him he got ripped off, but he didn't believe me. Now he's trying to get rid of the thing...at least he can't say I didn't tell him.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Are VERY rare! Very few were built in the final year for those. The LXi is the most desirable especially with an automatic.

Not a collectable, just a very nice car!
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    If you do want to sell your car, jemezbee, I encourage you to check out the edmunds.com marketplace. It's free to both buyers and sellers!

carlady/host
  • jimjetjimjet Member Posts: 27
    I think your grandson is smart in wanting the Accord over the VW. If you sell it to him, give him an honest fair market price as the folks above have stated. I drive my 86 Accord Hatch 5 speed everyday - bought it new in Dec 85. I also own a '96 and 2000 model cars, but in some ways, enjoy my 86 Accord more. I've used Mobil1 (full synthetics) in it since 6K miles and the gas mileage is still great. Without question, your Accord has more value than you can get for it in dollars. Take care.
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Hi Virginia if it is any help i just sold my 89lxi 4 door to my daughter,this vehicle has never been winter driven,has been brought up to full sei specs.with full leather interior plus rear disc brakes, fully chromed engine, $2000CND> sound system full on show condition with fully painted and detailed suspension all origional paint and body, has 60.000 miles and has just been appraised at $10,500CND. I sold it to her for $4,800US.
    Cheers Pat.
    Ps the cars new home will be Clarksville Tenn.
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Hi Virginia incidently the sei 2dr. and 4 dr. are the rarest accords of all, we did not get the lxi hatchback in Canada, but the regular 3 dr. hatchback is as common as nose,s.
    Cheers Pat.
  • bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    Well it does seem that older accord hatchbacks are kind of rare these days... I don't think Honda has made them for at least 10 years now. Kind of funny, but the 3 door use to be the standard. I believe in its early incarnation the 3 door was all you could get. I saw a 3 door for sale here in Maryland a couple of days ago for $750... I almost wanted to buy it just because : ).
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    I have an '89 Accord LX-i h/b. '89 was the last year they made this style. Don't see nearly as many as I used to but they're still around. The body style is almost identical to the Integra of that time as well.

$750 doesn't seem too bad. Depending on the source they can still go for almost $3000.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    From Edmunds' Generations section, here's the complete story of the Honda Accord from 1976 to the current generation: A Honda Accord History, by John DiPietro. Let us know what you think.

1977 Accord Hatchback (Photo courtesy of American Honda Motor Company, Inc.)

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • perry40perry40 Member Posts: 94
    My Dad drove only Fords from 1968 until 1984 (Chevys before that) and wouldn't look at anything else ... well in 1984, while have a front coil spring replaced, the local garage dumped his beloved 81 T-bird off the ramp and killed it. Since they needed a car right away, I agreed to take Mom & Dad around to the local dealerships ... of course, Dad wanted to go look only at Fords, but I discreetly stopped at the local Honda dealership along the way, claiming "it doesn't cost anything to look". Well, of course, Mom spied a little burgundy colored 84 Accord 3-dr on the floor, fell in love and wouldn't budge until Dad (reluctantly) signed the papers. Well, long story short ... it's now 18 years later and Dad is still a Honda man ... he's had 4 Accords over the years (an 84, an 87, a 91 and a 94) and loved every one of 'em. He now drives a 98 CR-V and says it's the best vehicle he's ever owned ... probably a Honda guy for life I'd say ...
  • luv2motorluv2motor Member Posts: 25
    Its nice to see a few messages relating to older Hondas.
    My son just purchased a 1985 Accord Hatchback 5-speed. This will be the 6th. Honda our family has purchased. The car came from PA and has very little rust. We live in Upstate NY where normally an '85 is loaded with rust. This car needed a clutch and the previous owner had just bought a new Hyundi. She originally was asking $500 for it. After explaining to her that a new clutch would set me back around 5-$600, she agreed to let it go for $300. My mechanic did the job for $490.00. Now the 2dr. Hatchback is running perfect! My son has plans to knock out a few dents and repaint it Subaru WX electric blue. As $ permits, he wants to install new rims, lower profile tires and a sportier exhaust.
    I think new and older Hondas are fast becoming "thee car" kids want to "fix up" these days! Have you seen what they're doing to Hondas lately?
    P.S. The Accord has 142K. Motor runs sweetly.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The '89 hatchbacks might have been rare in their last year, but weren't they pretty much identical to the '88 hatchbacks, of which there are a million and one around (at least here, in CA)? Surely, Honda did not make big changes in that final year when they knew they were about to replace the model anyway?

In '88 Accords, we run about 1/3 coupe, 1/3 sedan and 1/3 hatchback around here. Like I say, there are plenty of them around here, and I have never noticed any difference between 88-89, and I know you could get them fuel-injected in '88.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• amingaming Member Posts: 119
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• guitarboy1guitarboy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone my Grandparents receantly bought me a 1984 Honda Accord Hatchback. I've done alot of work on it already such as improve the stereo system. etc. Its in perfect condition with only 105k miles. I am going to be redoing the exhaust and i was curious if anyone could suggest a muffler to use. Brands or any info period. Also i am going to be replacing the engine any suggestions on that? Thanks
    If you don't get a response here soon, you should try asking your question in our Maintenance and Repair message board. If you can't find an appropriate discussion there, feel free to start up a new one. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your Honda Accord experience. ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    Since there has been no activity here for quite some time, this discussion will soon be closed and archived.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
This discussion has been closed.