Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• lilsimon1lilsimon1 Member Posts: 4
    Oh yeah, and you're right carlady- TMV was very, very much higher than what I paid for that 2000. So was Kelley Blue Book msrp for a used 2000 (w/100 miles).
  • opqopq Member Posts: 6
    how much does the in dash cd cost. i dont care about the cd player but dont like the hole on the dashboard that is left for it.

Cold weather package is not bad. today only i thought heated nozzles would have been better as temperature went sub freezing.
    as for monsoon system, for me its only good to brag about to my friends. to be honest sometimes, the minimum volume level on the radio is more than what I want. I got it as I got a good deal on this car and did not have other options to choose from.
  • toto8toto8 Member Posts: 5
    You're right. I forgot to mention that the GTI I got is 2001, silver. You have far less margin for negociation than for a 2000. German made doesn't make a price difference. But the finishing is not the same in every detail. At least in the cars I observed. Every curve, angle, rubber isolation bands on the outside, three German: all the same, perfect. Similar stuff on two Brazil made: different. Does anyone know when the 1.8T engine appeared in Golfs? Is this the same engine as the one in the Audi A4? Is there a place where a technical information about the engine and perhaps the Golf, can be found? Not just specs, details of operations etc. are more interesting. Thanks.
  • coavalanchecoavalanche Member Posts: 2
    I need some input. I am trying to decide on a Golf or Jetta. I want the Golf GL TDI but I want cruise control(only on GLS) cold weather package and the sound system (which I could add after market). I also like the Jetta, but don't want to give up the hatch back. I currently have a Ford Probe, 89', 172k miles and it's about at the point of no return. The Golf GL TDI goes for $16,720, and the GLS with cold weather package and sound system goes for $18,400. Do you think it is worth ~$2000 to have cruise control, sound system and cold weather package. I live in Colorado and could live without the bun warmers and sound system, but I take allot of road trips and want the cruise control. Any help, please???
  • coavalanchecoavalanche Member Posts: 2
    I can get any Ford(Ford,Mercury,Lincoln,Mazda,Volvo,Jag,Austin Martin(As if I could afford one),Rover below invoice due to a relative who can get them on plan A(Employee) discount. So any comparible Ford suggestion would help out too.

Thanks.
  • lilsimon1lilsimon1 Member Posts: 4
    That's tough- I too wanted a hatchback (or wagon, but they're too "old" for me just yet), but wanted 4-doors so the decision was easy for me. Can't think of any other hatches except the Saab 9-3 and BMW has one in its 3-series, but it sounds like those are out of your market. My Golf GLS is great so far- certainly worth the extra money to me, and I got a 2000 with Lux/monsoon/cold/CD for 18,072 + tax/tags. If you rush, maybe you can get a deal too... I avoided the Jetta because they're EVERYWHERE! and I wanted a more unique car. If you decide a sedan is ok, I'd go with a Protege over the Jetta, especially since you can get that discount- good car for lots less $$.
  • vwnewbievwnewbie Member Posts: 1
    Hello all-
    The decision is made (yep, 1.8T GLS Golf) but now the hard part. Anyone care to pass along positive +/or negative experiences with VW Dealers in the greater Los Angeles area. Thanks !

VWNewbie
  • sftroublsftroubl Member Posts: 9
    I'm getting ready to buy a very basic 2001 Golf GL. The 2.0 engine is fine by me and I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. The first dealer I've talked to claims they're selling GLs strictly for MSRP--no deals, no discounts from sticker because "there's no profit in it." That explanation is obviously a load of bull, but I'm curious if anyone out there has bought a 2001 GL or shopped for one lately. What kind of deals are they making on these cars. I'm quite happy to shop around if it will save me some money.
  • mlinkmlink Member Posts: 7
    coavalanche,

If you go with an auto GL TDI cruise comes with it. If you are set on a manual go with the GLS it comes with nicer cloth and lots of other options, and the bun warmers are really nice in cold weather since it takes a little longer for the heater to kick in.

sftroubl,

Your dealer is giving you a load of bull, for the most part they have trouble pushing Golfs, especially 2.0L. I even got a deal on a 2001 TDI with automatic which is a rare find. They had to find it from a dealer in another state, and there where only about 10 when they ran an 8 state search. So try someone else!
  • toto8toto8 Member Posts: 5
    let me tell you one thing. I was in that dealer "search" situation too. Car was in another state, then computer was down. He was able to find only 2, like I wanted them! Then another guy here, gave me the advice to look on greenlight.com, carsdirect.com and another one I don't remember anymore. Look here, up somewhere in these december posts. For a few hours I was able to find at least a hundred! And I found also the one the dealer deamed impossible to find: silver color, german made.
  • porcaccioporcaccio Member Posts: 18
    I am currently looking to buy a GTI. People have been extolling the virtues of the new 1.8T GTI GLS over the VR6. I tend to agree, since it has good performance for 2K less than the VR6. What I would like to know is... what has been the best deal that any of you have received on a GTI 1.8T with leather? On the VR6??? Has anyone seen one with the 17" wheels yet? Lastly, is there really that big of a difference between the german and brazilian made ones?

Thanks
  • gorkojogorkojo Member Posts: 10
    Response to Porcaccio:
    I bought a 2000 VR6 about two months and 3700 miles ago. I paid $20,500. For the money, I think it is much better than the 1.8. It is very fast and has loads of low end torque. Most of the auto reviews I've seen credit the VR6 with a 6.8 0-60 time. I plan to buy a better set of tires to maximize handling but to tell you the truth the car handles very well in any close to normal driving situation. I was impressed with the 1.8 until I drove the VR6. My dealer here in Virginia says that it may be Jan or Feb before he sees one with 17 inch wheels. Good luck with your car shopping.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    "Do you think it is worth ~$2000 to have cruise control, sound system and cold weather package?"

coavalanche, I think it's worth ~$2000 to have that, plus the ease of a Golf hatchback versus a Jetta (or other) sedan. Once you see how easy it is to load and unload a Christmas tree, you'll never want any other kind of car. ;-)

carlady/host
  • mlinkmlink Member Posts: 7
    I do not believe there is any difference. The final assembly of my Golf was in Brazil, but over half of the parts came out of Germany including engine and transmission. The brazilian plant has been there since the 50's if my sources are correct and has the same equipment as the other VW plants. Besides you get the same warranty no matter what.

As for the 1.8T vs. VR6 if you have $2000 sitting around go for the small increase in performance otherwise save your money. However, the VR6 does run perfectly fine on 87 octane, I think 92 octane is needed in the 1.8T (I've never tried).
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 55
    What color were you able to get for your 2000 GTI GLX? I was considering a 2000 before I ordered a 2001. The color selection on 2000s was limited here in NJ/PA to green, red,and orange. As I had a red 87 GTI for 10 years, I wanted a more subdued color. Also, I'm 13 years older. There was an orange 2000 at Holbert's in PA that I really liked, though.

Carlady: You feel the way about the A3 as I do about my older A1 Rabbit and A2 GTI. I still smile when I see an A1 rabbit. I really dislike that each successive version is larger and heavier. I'm amazed that the 2001 GTI is 2,999 pounds. The '87 GTI was 2,267 pounds, and the '83 was significantly lighter.

But, then again, there is some good in the size increase. The fact that the A4 GTI is two incremental jumps in size from my '87 A2 is a reason that I felt that it was large enough for me, and I can "trade down" in size from my Passat.
    My GTI GLX is "Flash Red" with a black leather interior. It looks great and it's as fast as it looks!
    Another factor to consider is how long you plan to keep the car and how much risk you are willing to take. Turbos are very expensive components and the high rev 4cyl engine in the GTI 1.8 is not as durable as the VR6. My GTI GLX revs at only 3700rpms at 100mph in 5th gear and with a redline of 6500 it isn't even breathing hard.
  • hyttinenhyttinen Member Posts: 1
    I also agree that the dealer is not willing to budge because the GLs aren't in great demand.

I had good success getting my Golf through a broker. The broker was affiliated with my credit union. I ended up paying around $14,775 for the exact car I wanted -- a basic silver GL. The MSRP for the 2000 was $15,525 or near. Most importantly, I was able to conduct the entire transaction via phone/fax and never had to go to the broker until it was time to pick it up. Definitely worth not having to visit a dealer, haggle, etc. if that's not your thing.

I have a question: I just found out that my Golf goes through oil quickly (less than 2,000 miles since my first change at 3,000 miles, it's dangerously low) and the low oil level caused the "check engine" light to go on. I refilled the oil and all seems well, but that check engine light is still on. Of course, the dealer says I must bring it in for a complete inspection, and I think that's fine, to be on the safe side. But in general, does the check engine light need to be reset manually, or should it go off when the problem is gone?

Thanks.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The oil being low is not causing the "check engine" light to come on, a computer problem is. The dealer has to reset the computer internally.
  • porcaccioporcaccio Member Posts: 18
    gorkojo: Good point. I plan on buying this car and keeping it for as long as it will will run. I did wonder about the reliability of the Turbo, but one would hope that it would at least last 7 years. The question for me would be: will fixing the Turbo cost me more than $2000? That is about what I am saving by not purchasing a GLX now. I live in Texas and am having the hardest time finding any GTI GLX at all. I'm starting to want to buy in California (I know of a place that has 2 for sale).
  • malabartmalabart Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Is it true that VW will be shipping TDI's to California in spring? But I need the car by January and willing to travel within the western states. Edmunds.com listed tmv price is $18172 GLS, AT, a local dealer quote me $18800 base msrp. Is it possible to get a deal on the 2001 golf tdi for about $18700 plus tax, license, etc. I do not plan to pay more than $19K for this car. Anyone who found a better deal, even out of state... please show the way. May the power be w/the consumer at large and not the car dealers. cheers!
  • pragatikpragatik Member Posts: 1
    The door of my 2000 Golf GLS freeze whenever, I guess, the temperature is in 20s. Has anyone else had the same problem.
    The problem is not with the locks which open fine with the keyless device. However, the door can not be open easily.

Also, for a last couple of days, the car does not beep when I lock the car (using the keyless entry device). Also the small light that blinks (on the driver side window) when car is locked is dead. Any comments!!

I am a little paranoid if my share of horror stories with VWs and dealers are now going to be written.
    Stories like the one before this post is the reason why I am scared to get rid of my reliable Mazda Protege and get a VW. What gives?

BTW, how is the traction in snow without the ASR on the 1.8T? And how is it with the ASR? Thanks in advance.
    The locks on my VWs have always been prone to freezing. My car stays outside.

Taping-over the lock when I hand wash the car in the winter makes a difference. Also, tape over the locks is a "must" if you go to one of the self-service car wash places that use high pressure wand.

A little squirt of a lock deicer to displace moisture and lubricate the mechanism help, too.
  • dasteph94dasteph94 Member Posts: 20
    Anyone have comments about the so called carboning problem affecting Golf Diesels in the Midwest?
    Is this really a problem dueto the high sulfur diesel here?
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    Consumer Reports claims that the Golf has "average" reliability, but I'm still concerned about buying it, since both the Jetta and Bug (basically same car as Golf) have been rated as "below average". As I have mentioned over in the Focus discussion, the best designed and most fun to drive cars seem to be the ones that have problems. If you want a car that will last forever, like a Civic, you have to put up with its impractical design (no hatchback) and performance similar to that of a Buick Century.

p.s. The 10/100 powertrain warranty on VWs is good only on the first owner. Subsequent owners get only a 5/50 powertrain warranty on balance of years/miles.
    It just really matters on what day the car is built, etc. because you could get a VW Golf that runs forever and a Honda Civic that breaks all the time. Just luck of the draw I guess. :)
    I disagree with vocus about what day of the week a car was built. They are built 24 hours, 7 days a week and many of the parts are built on many different days prior to final assembly. Yes, you can have a Golf that will last forever and yes, you can get a Civic that is problematic. You may even have a Chevy that never breaks (as hard as that is to imagine). But it's a fact that the chances of having problems with VWs is statistically higher than with Hondas.
  • cosmo12cosmo12 Member Posts: 1
    I'm driving a '96 4 Runner. I like it, I can carry stuff, and it does well in foul weather, trouble-free. Though, I'm considering a return to VW after many years. Has anyone else here with a small family migrated 'back' to a VW from something with more people/cargo capacity? I'm thinking Passat, but I really like the Golf (not to mention it's cheaper). Thanks for all opinions.
  • joetoddjoetodd Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when the 2001 VW Golf will begin being equipped with the third air bag, the so called "side curtain" head air bag? This bag comes out of the headliner. VW says they will phase it in during the 2001 model year, but when? I need to buy soon, but would wait for this feature if it is not too far off.
    Thank you.
    I'm waiting on delivery for a 2001 GTI, and I was told that there's a fair chance that it will arrive with the side air bags. The car was scheduled for production in week 50 (i.e., last week).
    You don't know whether the car you ordered has the side curtain bags or not? Well did you pay the same price as the current 2001 GTI? If so, the one you ordered will probably not have the curtain. WV is not giving the curtains away at no charge.
    Something for you to consider. Consumer Reports is ultra conservative. I would not let their "average" rating discourage me. It's better to make one or two warranty trips to the dealership and have a car that you really like than to have a "perfect" car and be stuck with a dog. I'm 51 and currently own an E class Mercedes and a GTI GLX but over the years I've owned many cars that were not favored by Consumer Reports including an AMC Gremlin, Ford Pinto, Fiat 124 and BMW 325i. All were fun in their own time and own way and none were as bad as CR made them out to be.
    Life is short. Get the car that you really like and have fun.
    Based on the timing of when I ordered the car, it was uncertain whether it would arrive with the side air bags. As it's a very inexpensive relative to the overall cost of the car, it was not worth holding the order to investigate. If it comes in with them, as it was being phase into production at that time, we'll deal with it then.
    If you squirt WD 40 into the keyholes and locks before the first freeze in your area, you will never have to worry about frozen locks.
  • alfollinalfollin Member Posts: 9
    and it was the right decision. We do a lot of long distance driving, aand although we obviously gave up some passenger room, the overall highway - driveability of the VW is way beyond the Chrysler. We also own a Caravan, so we understand the transition thoroughly. My wife could tell the difference in handling during the test drive, and I was driving - she was in the right passenger seat.
    I am considering a second VW, a Jetta, for my own use around town, and occasional highway trips. My '00 Passat wagon is big enough for long duration trips, so this second car will be used only for weekend excursions.

My question is this: why aren't I considering a Golf? Should I? What are your thoughts in comparing them?
    I think you should consider the Golf. They are built on the same platform as the Jetta is, and at a lower price. Also, you don't see as many Golfs around as you do Jettas, so you will be that much more unique. I also personally like the cargo space and carrying ability the hatchback has over a typical sedan trunk.
    I admit I'm somehow attracted to the Golf, if only because they are less common. VW talks up the TDI - how has experience been in the real world? I know about the extraordinary fuel mileage, and I have heard from people who love it - who hates the diesel, and why?
  • pmurrenpmurren Member Posts: 4
    From what I understand, the 2000 GTI and Beetles are assembled in Germany. However, for 2001, the GTI and Beetle will be assembled in Mexico.
  • carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    Mexico has been producing quality products for several years now. I know of no reason to be wary of a Mexican-made VW GTI. VW makes changes in Germany, gets the bugs out of the manufacturing process, and sets up a excellent production line in Mexico. No reason for concern, IMHO.

carlady
    Host
    News & Views and Hatchbacks Message Boards
  • wordman93wordman93 Member Posts: 36
    I've had my y2k Golf TDI GLS for a little over a year now. The only two things that I can complain about is the fact that at 40k miles I'll have to pay somewhere around $400.00 for maintance, which includes replacing the timing belt. I think VW should have went with a timing chain instead of the belt. Also, it can be pretty embarrassing when starting the diesel in cold weather because of all the white smoke. People look at me as if I'm driving a lemon or something because they don't realize it's a diesel and the smoke is common during start up. Other than that the car is awesome, and surprisingly quick for a diesel. Don't think that I could ever go back to a gasser unless it's the Vr6 or something in that nature.
  • catherine9catherine9 Member Posts: 31
    My 2000 Golf (driven only 200 miles) makes the strangest noises, whining and creaking when I accelerate slowly after idling in traffic, or when I make a turn. I think the sound is related to the steering, but can't tell for sure. Has anyone else noticed strange sounds coming from their Golf? Thanks in advance.
    Why did you buy a Golf instead of a Jetta? I'm still on that fence!
  • pmurrenpmurren Member Posts: 4
    I bought the GTI for two main reasons:

1. Weight-The GTI VR6 weighs, I think, 800 pounds less than the Jetta VR6 which translates into more torque and speed. I think it also has better handling.

2. Cargo. Hatchbacks are so great for their space. Those who have never owned one don't realize the space available in a hatchback with the seats down. It makes a big difference.

Good luck with your decision
    The noises you hear are consistent with a possible problem with the power steering but it's hard to say for sure. You can check the level of the power steering fluid on the dipstick under the hood. I had a similar problem in a car (not a Golf) once and the fluid was low. When I added fluid, the noises went away. If the fluid level is OK, you may want to just take it in to your VW dealer and let them identify the problem since the car is so new and under warranty. Good luck.
  • harvittharvitt Member Posts: 9
    just bought a 2001 Golf GLS automatic in the SF bay area, for $17,920 including all taxes, etc. i was given approximately this price by 2 dealers on the phone. the first wouldn't give it to me when i came in, offering me no better than $18,800. when i returned home and called other dealers, they said if i could get it for 17,900ish i should take it and that they couldn't meet it. i did buy it for that for the other dealer. why couldn't other dealers meet that price? don't they all get it for the same price? i assume that the dealer did not take a loss on it..
    i found it annoying that many dealers would not give me numbers or negotiate over the phone.
    happy with the new car so far!
  • deevcjdeevcj Member Posts: 9
    I have a Golf GL with alloy wheels and just love it. One of my friends has a Jetta and we take me car everywhere. They are mostly identical but my car has more back seat room and much more trunk room. I can put more stuff in the hatch that most people realize. It is great. Also they only sell like 1200 Golfs in America a month so it is much less common. I get people asking me about my car all the time or telling me they like it. As far as production, Golfs and some GTI's are made now in Brazil at a brand new factory, NB's and Jettas are made in Mexico and Passats in Germany.
  • mikeyg_u2mikeyg_u2 Member Posts: 1
    I recently ordered 2001 GTI and have some answers to the questions asked in this list. All 2001 Golfs and GTI's that come to the US or Canada are made in Brazil. My salesman told me that this was a good thing because the assembly line doesn't need to be reconfigured for other countries, so the product quality 'should' be more consistent. I ordered my GTI on October 28, and the one I ordered does have the Air Curtains in the doors. This added $150 to the price that I had gotten from Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book. Well, it has been over two months since I ordered my car and I really hope I get it soon. Happy Driving everyone.
  • wordman93wordman93 Member Posts: 36
    Alfollin- I purchased the golf mainly because I prefer hatchbacks over sedans. Maybe some day I'll grow out of this phase, but for now I like hatchbacks. I can carry more stuff...ie luggage in the back of my car than in my girlfriends Toyota.