Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• maxikmaxik Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the Golf 1.8 with the sport suspension? I am not sure if I should spend $200 on the sport one. I would like better cornering but I am concerned about ride quality. Can anyone comment on that? I don't seem to be able to find one to test drive.
    Thanks a lot.
    MM
  • mlinkmlink Member Posts: 7
    Other problems with the Civic

You have to pay extra for A/C

No remote entry

No heated mirrors

No storage space

No adjustable seat for the driver/passenger and the one on the EX (driver only) is a joke.

Milage on a manual TDI is 42/49

Insurance was $600 more a year on the Honda (at
    least for me)

Try driving a TDI with only 90 HP you'll be surprised, I know I was!

A $300 chip in a TDI puts it on par with a 1.8T

I only pay an extra $0.06 for diesel
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    OK. approx $150 for plug-in remote entry, $900 for A/C and you can "chip" the Civic too. Heated mirrors? Not absolutely necessary, but OK, a creature comfort. I completely agree about the adjustable seat knob on the Civic - just plain poor design. But, you will still never recoup the initial higher cost of the TDI over the Civic in fuel savings. I would buy a TDI in an instant if this were Europe where diesel is $4/gal. Again, in the US, it makes no sense. My 6th gen Civic HX by-the-way gets about the same mpg as TDI, about 42 urban, summer temps. As I've said before, I like the Golf in general more than the Civic, but the argument about fuel savings with a TDI vs. Civic HX is meaningless, when the cost (fuel only) difference might be $100/year in the TDI's favor.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I don't know how the car handles in the snow, because I have never driven one in the snow. I do know, however, that the 1.8T engine does include ASR, VW's version of traction control. I heard in the Jetta forum that they handle pretty well with the ASR in the snow though.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Some additional information to consider.

5 year ownership cost (stats by Intellichoice)

Golf TDI GL Honda Civic HX
    Depreciation $7449 $4479
    Insurance $9061 $8440
    State Fees $718 $613
    Financing $3785 $3106
    Maintenance $1956 $860
    Repairs $991 $565

The Golf comes standard with keyless entry and the Honda offers it as option.
    The Honda comes standard with power windows and power windows are not standard or optional on Golf.
    Power mirrors are standard on Honda and not standard or optional on Golf.
    Armrest is option on Golf and standard on Honda.

Honda engine is considered to be "green" and friendly to environment. TDI can not even be sold new in New York and California due to it's pollution levels.

Golf has better level of safety equipment with ABS standard and Side Curtain Airbags standard. These features are not available on Civic HX.

Contrary to earlier post, the seat is adjustable on Civic.

Luggage capacity is 13 cu ft in Civic and 18 in Golf. (earlier post said Civic had no storage)

Civic uses gasoline which does not gel up in winter. (Golf does have heated mirrors though)

Diesel cars are very rare, so are diesel mechanics, diesel parts, and diesel pumps.

The TDI has a Turbo, which is expensive to repair if it ever breaks.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    Well it's a little difficult to compare anticipated repair costs, even if compiled by intellichoice. The original discussion, I believe, was making a case for lower gas expenses due to the TDI's higher mpg as compared to a Civic HX. But lets compare a Golf GL to a Golf GL TDI.

Price:
    Golf GL TDI:$16,895
    Golf GL:$15,425
    Difference: $1470

Average the mpgs for both cars (city/highway):
    Golf TDI= 42+49/2=45.5mpg
    Golf = 24+31/2=27.5mpg

Now price of fuel:
    Diesel = 1.74
    Unleaded = 1.51

Suppose an annual mileage of 15k mi.

Fuel cost/yr:

Golf TDI= $574
    Golf = $824

Difference = $249/yr in favor of TDI
    Break-even point: $1470/$249 = 6 years
    This is without even considering the extra cost of maintaining a diesel. Add a few more years for that.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Good analysis but you left some things out...

TDI needs 60k timing belt change for stick and 40K for automatic vs 105K for gasser. Also costs more.

TDI needs expensive 20k fuel system servicing with new water/fuel separator filter (first one free under warranty, all the rest at 20k intervals on you).

Diesel generally costs more and will go up with new sulphur content standards

TDI needs synthetic oil

Enough said?
  • dbakalardbakalar Member Posts: 39
    A NIGHTMARE in dealing w/ the service department at my local VW dealership. I have a '99 Golf GLS, which has (up until now) had NO problems whatsoever. This past Saturday morning, my 'check engine' light came on. So, I parked it until I was able to get an appt. to take the car in for service. I've got 27000 miles on the car, and my warranty has expired (as I didn't opt to get an extended warranty since I had no problems whatsoever with my previous VW). Anyway, I brought the car in today to find that one of the O2 sensors, the coil pack, and the spark plugs and wires have gone bad. When askes what would have caused this, I was told that they didn't know, but it wasn't covered under warranty, as mine had expired. Certainly this isn't something that just popped up within the last 3000 miles, but I was told that it was beyond the warranty. PAY UP. So, I contacted VW North America who told me that they understood, and would consider a partial reimbursement as a "hardship case" as this is something that shouldn't have occurred in a vehicle that is this new. So... here I am waiting after spending $870 (half of which was LABOR COSTS) in getting my car repaired. I still love my car, it's a blast to drive, and it's damn cute, but my faith in VW is now being tested. I'll follow up with the results that I get from VW North America, but from what I've read, they sure do put up a fight. And to top it all off... after paying that amount for service, my car wasn't even WASHED? So much for customer service, huh?
  • breakerbreaker Member Posts: 8
    When you say the warranty is up, that's only the bumper to bumper part right? The engine is still covered for another 70,000 or so. The O2 sensors, as part of the emissions system HAVE to be covered if I'm not mistaken. I think its the law. My mass air flow sensor went at about 35K and VW replaced it on them, no fuss. Plugs and wires I wouldn't expect to be covered as these are maintainence items, but I also wouldn't expect them to go after only 27K in a new car. Plugs going bad is often related to being fouled by oil, not something to be expected at 27K. The service interval is what? 40K miles? Sounds like maybe a bait and switch type deal where the dealer knew he would end up covering the O2 sensor and installation, so he came up with something else to make a little money back.
  • hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    for coil, O2 sensor and wires is, I believe, utter nonsense. Ask to see the book values for those repair items. Time to find a good independant. Dealers are famous for this kind of thing.
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm still waiting to hear back from VW North America about the situation. Unfortunately, I was in the position that I HAD to get my car fixed, and it ended up costing me. I agree... time to find a good independent mechanic! I knew as soon as I went to the dealer that I was going to get torn down. They always do it to ya.
  • nh7nh7 Member Posts: 2
    There've been a lot of talk in this forum about gas vs. diesel. There are 3 things that will likely be readily agreed upon.

1)Diesels are long lived.
    While I would even consider buying a gas-powered anything that's over 75K miles, most diesel drivers consider 75K "just barely broken in". Diesel, because of their high torque, are also better at hauling and towing which is why the semis and BIG trucks are all diesel. I currently don't have a car (Honda Manna motorcycle) I'm looking into an older Golf diesel for ~$2000. It may have 100K already, but that will not likely diminish it from giving me 100K more.

2)Gas is more easily accessible.
    It's hard to "swing a dead cat" w/o hitting a 7-11 or other QuikyMart here in Florida, but premium gas here is over $1.65. The "Flying J" just around the corner has diesel for only $1.41! My last "cage" was a minivan getting only 20mpg. My bike's got me hooked on seeing 3s and 4s in my division.

3)This is all personal opinion and freedom of choice.
    Let us not try to convince the other and become enflamed when they don't see it our way. Y'all seem to be looking for a new car. I'm going for VERY used. You say potatoe; I say potato. (Sorry, Dan Quayle.) We EACH must decide how best to assess our present needs and predict our future needs in light of current finances and preferences. As the saying goes, "whatever floats your boat".

NH
  • nh7nh7 Member Posts: 2
    I find this entire discussion very odd. If you're so concerned with reliability, depreciation and expenses, why get a new car since any odd problems will creep up. If you wait until it's "broken in": 40K (gas)- 80K (diesel) you'll know which vehicles are good and which are lemons. As they age, gas vehicles become more and more expensive, but diesels, with proper maintenance, keep going and going and going, on the same maintenance plan that started on Day 1. This could also be a lease vs. buy discussion.

So, my finances look this way:
    Vehicle price: $2000 (cash)
    Finance charge: $0
    Depreciation: $0 (it's already depreciated about as low as it can go)
    Mileage: 60K+
    Gas/year:
    ~30,000 miles per year/45 mpg x $1.41/gal ...
    ~$941/yr (diesel)
    ~30,000 miles per year/27 mpg x $1.61/gal ...
    ~$1788/yr (gas)
    Maintenance Costs:
    Diesel ~$500/yr steady
    Gas ~$500/yr climbing (tendency)

NH
    You might want to check the fuel prices again.

Florida metro average price is:
    Diesel - $1.68/g
    Regular - $1.50/g
    Premium - $1.65/g

Diesel is most expensive.

National average is:
    Diesel - $1.56
    Regular - $1.45
    Premium - $1.60

Remember, in most states the low diesel prices you see are for "Tax Exempt" trucks and if you are not tax exempt you pay more.
    Could you please detail in what way the maintenance costs of diesel are less than gasoline motor?

In my investigation of costs the diesel tends to be not just a little, but a lot higher in maintenance cost. Some of the items that cost more on maintenance are timing belts, oil (requires synthetic), turbo, battery, bosch rotary injector pump, etc., etc..

You are right that used is less expensive than new. Have you considered the effect on cost of parts that rarity of diesel contributes. There are not many new diesels, fewer used diesels, and even fewer parts cars.

Something to think about.
    Okay, so I FINALLY got a reply from VW of America regarding the service done to my O2 sensor and coil pack last week. Of course, I was the one that called them, instead of sitting around waiting for them to call me. Nobody had called me in the past week! VW agreed to reimburse me for 50% of the repair costs. Pretty fair, I guess. If I had pressed the issue farther, I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a bit more out of them, but this satisfies me (pretty much). Now it's time to check out a good independent repair man. Does anyone out there in the Washington, DC area know of any good ones? The dealership has definitely seen the last of me.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Some of you may be interested in knowing that the

VW Golf GTI
    was the most favored small coupe on Edmunds.com's Most Wanted 2001 list.

Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks Message Board

• mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    Subj! 2-door Honda is a coupe. Golf is a hatchback. And Eclipse, Celica, Focus, Integra, Mustang are hatchbacks too! Just 3-door hatchbacks, no more, no less.
  • osfan456osfan456 Member Posts: 8
    I'm considering what engine to put into a VW Golf. The turbo diesel is my first choice. It apparently gets good mileage. I've heard though, that they start having problems around 50,000 miles, and there are only 1 or 2 techs at VW dealerships that know how to repair the diesls. Are these engines reliable and do they perform well?
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Unless you plan to keep the car for 6 digit miles, forget the mpg advantage of the diesel and get a gas model. 2.0 if you want to use regular, pay less, not worry about a turbo, and don't care about laying rubber with an automatic. The 1.8T gets all the raves for performance, and mpg is about the same for both. The diesel seduces people with its performance, but you will be in for a rude awakening when you see the cost of routine maintenance, especially if you go the dealer. If you are the type that can do it all at home, that is a different story. Then too, you can get an Accord without all of the bells and whistles for less than the Golf.
  • perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    Did anybody see this on the "future predictions" site here at Edmunds? Hubba-hubba:

2003 Golf (Sport Hatchback)
    An article by George Karcher in the January issue of Automobile magazine reported that VW plans to add a high performance, all-wheel drive version of the upcoming fifth-generation Golf sporting a 300-hp W8 engine. The same engine might also find its way into the next-generation Jetta.
  • wordman93wordman93 Member Posts: 36
    talk about a year ago that VW was planning on bringing back a rally style Golf that would be twin turbo all wheel drive pushing 300+ horsepower! I wonder if they just decided to use the W8 engine instead. That's going to be awesome....I just hope it actually makes it to the States if it is released.

Also my TDI has 30k miles and thus far has been pretty good (with the exception of me spilling my Soda on my radio thanks to the poor location of the cup holders, why can't the cup holders be located below the radio like in the Passat?), also the performance of the TDI isn't like that of the 1.8t but it can still be tweaked offering tons of torque 148hp/220+ ft.-lbs. of torque. Also here in Dallas the average price for Diesel is now $1.36 per gallon while the price for regular is $1.42 per gallon. Shop around though because there are a few Fina's selling Diesel for $1.29 per gallon. Either car would be a good choice though IMO.
  • sftroublsftroubl Member Posts: 9
    Just a quick 2 cents here: To some degree it's a matter of taste. Personally, I am totally happy with my 2.0 gas engine, which I've had since mid-December. It's plenty peppy (it helps that I have a 5-speed), smooth and gets respectable mileage. I'm just about to hit 2,000 miles so I can't say much about reliability yet, but so far I absolutely love the car.
  • weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    I am looking to purchase a Golf 1.8T, silver w/black interior. The only option I want is a sunroof, and my only real requirement besides the silver exterior is a 5spd manual. My dealer, Crown VW in Birmingham, AL, says that getting a 5dr Golf 1.8T is impossible. They told me that there are none out there to be had. He then preceeded to inform me that I could have all the Jetta 1.8T's I want. I will not buy a Jetta. I want a Golf, and if I am unable to get one than I will move on to something else. Thanks, Wes
    The 1.8T will not be offered in Golf for 2002 and the 2001 model year is pretty much over. There are 1.8T's out there, you will have to try other dealers and may have to travel to get what you want or move on. Might be difficult to find Silver.
  • bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    I was wondering if anyone could give me the dimensions of the cargo dimensions for the Golf. I am particularly interested in how long and how wide with the back seats down...
  • stammtstammt Member Posts: 6
    moparbad, where did you hear that? I saw a post saying that on vwvortex too... but I haven't found anything "official" to back it up!

do you know hat engine options they will be offering with the golf?
    Seen the info. on several different sites. www.beetlebuzz.com has the 2002 model year changes posted in the volkswatch section. Beetlebuzz has been very reliable in the past. I am very disappointed in the decision to drop the 1.8T. I think it should be standard motor in Golf for what VWoA is charging for it.
  • stammtstammt Member Posts: 6
    That's really annoying. I just test-drove one last week and had vague plans of ordering one as soon as the 2002's came out. I'd seen the info about the 1.8t engine getting 170hp next year... but I guess that's just for the other models, huh?

thanks for the tip though!
  • mvm001mvm001 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone has experienced any rattling noises coming from the rear of their vehicle. I've had my 2001 Golf 2.0 for just three weeks and I keep hearing this faint rattling noise near or around the left rear passenger side. Most people who have sat back there can hear it. As soon as I start driving, the noise starts up but sometimes it disappears. If anyone out there has had similar experiences I'd appreciate any info you have.
  • mvm001mvm001 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention in my earlier message that I have a Golf GLS. Since this is a four door car the noise might have to do w/ the passenger door, so I just wanted to include this info.
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 55
    See if the lift handle for the passanger-side seat is on the side facing the door is the source.
    I've got a 1999 GLS that has a few mystery rattles that come and go. There's one in the dash that appears every so often (a very soft rattle), then disappears. There's also one that I THINK is coming from the passenger rear door, but I've never been able to completely determine if this is indeed where it is. But, that rattle fades away too. I was speaking to a co-worker who has a 2000 Jetta, who is experiencing the same fantom rattles. Must be a VW thing!
    I absolutely love my car, and the noises don't irritate me really. Just one of the quirks my car has I guess.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    I'm pretty sure it's coming from the seat though. Who cares. They only happen over rough surfaces, and I can't hear anything over my exhaust and twin 12" eclipse subs. If I'm cruising on the highway without any noise from the stereo or exhaust, it's perfectly quiet, and I like knowing that.

Every rattle that might come will just make me love the VR6 more. Man, it's so nice....

- Anthony
  • ayickayick Member Posts: 1
    It seems that people are generally pleased with the VW Golf. I'll be buying my first car ever pretty soon, and want to get people's comments about the Golf GL. Is it reliable? Does it have a reputation for dependability after several thousand miles?

Thanks.
  • mrmandomrmando Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Golf GL and I'm looking for recommendations for wheel tire setup. I would like to get some nice wheels but should I go with a larger wheel? I had a 1979 Rabbit years ago and had low profile tires (Perelli) on it and it was real sticky. I felt like I was glued to the road. I want that same feeling again.

I just purchased the car about 2 weeks ago and it has Goodyears on the back and a Kelly and a Dunlop on the front. Needless to say I'm getting less than premium performance from these missmatched tires.

Any suggestions? Thanks
  • sftroublsftroubl Member Posts: 9
    I am the very happy owner of an '01 Golf GL 2.0 I bought in mid-December. After about 2100 miles (I don't drive that much) I am totally, utterly in love with the car. No problems of any kind (not even the phantom rattles some have described, which may be peculiar to 4-door models). The car is an absolute dream to drive. I have always had small cars, but have never had one that felt so composed at high speeds--a few weeks ago driving on the Interstate at night I found my speed kept creeping up over 90 MPH without my noticing.

FYI, my prior car was a '98 Golf GL. Sadly, it was totalled with only 14,000 miles on it, but it was also completely trouble-free. That was the previous generation Golf, though, and not nearly as solid and refined as the new ones.
  • autophile1autophile1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Golf GLS 1.8T that I purchased in October 2000. (a) I picked up my new vehicle in the evening. Found out the next morning that the dealer did not remove all that yucky gummy residue from the protective film plastic that covers the body surfaces. (b) I experienced rattling sounds in the rear that sounded like loose suspension. I took it to the dealer. According to them, all they did was lubricate the door seals. Problem went away. (c) Then, my front passenger door lock malfunctioned from time to time and the door rattled. The first dealer said that the door lock functioned properly and "it was up to specifications." Immediately, I took it to another dealer and they replaced the door lock sensor (?) and cured the lock problem, but the rattle still went on from time to time. The second dealer elected not to probe into this rattle because "it may create more problems than its worth." Not a good response, but I let it go until it worsens. (d) Then, I heard some rhythmic noises emanating from the rear passenger side. I have no idea what it is. The dealer said that they did not hear anything. I let it go until it worsens. (e) My left front turn signal bulb went out after 3 months. No recurrence since. (f) I experienced the spingy-clicking sound of the clutch when it is depressed and released. The dealer lubricated the clutch. Springy sound went away, but clicking did not. Dealer said that clicking was normal and click sounds when clutch is disengaging and engaging. Huh? BTW, whenever I pick up my car after dealer service, it has some grease marks and smudges. Once, I had them clean it up, they just made it spread. From then on, I just clean it up myself. Pretty annoying.

Except for these incidents, I love the car. It's fun to drive. I just don't understand why I average about 24 mpg only when my 2000 Passat GLS automanual (same 1.8T engine, but substantially heavier) averages 28 mpg. Any thoughts? Oh, and I have my fair share of issues with the Passat but, I will reserve that for next time or a different forum.
    This wasn't harmonics from air pressure, was it? I have a Passat (same body shape) and if I drive with only the rear windown down a bit I get rythmic pressure waves that actually hurt my ears. I have to open the front windows a bit to relieve the sensation.

I don't see this as a problem, however, because many cars do it at certain speeds and window configurations.

Hope it helps. Good luck.
  • lance28lance28 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone with a 1.8t heard a humming noise coming from the engine around 2 or 3 rpms. I've taken the car to the dealer and the mechanic said that it was normal. He also said the turbo becomes loaded and then has to release the pressure, this is what is causing the noise. He said he called a tech at VW. Should I beleive this or does something not smell right?
    You mean 2 or 3 thousand, I take it.
    yeah, that's 2000 to 3000 rpms.
    but I wanted to be sure I understood it when it comes! ;^)
  • autophile1autophile1 Member Posts: 2
    It sounds more like a pump or meter ticking. No problem with my Passat wagon. Also, my 2000 Golf 1.8T manual sounds distinctively rougher over 80 mph while my 2000 Passat 1.8T tiptronic wagon is smooth all the way up to 100 mph. (I have not pushed it further.....yet.) And, at the same vehicle speeds, the Golf's engine speed (rpms) are higher than the Passat's. Maybe this has something to do with it, or maybe the gearing ratios? Any thoughts?
    that engine vibrations that are transferred through the solid gearing of the manual are absorbed somewhat by the hydraulics in the Tip. Maybe one of the gearheads knows for sure.
    Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier...it makes the noise between 2nd and 3rd gears. Is this any help?
  • ramiemillerramiemiller Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me where to find a picture of the GTI's optional 17" alloy wheels? VW literature and web site readily shows the 15" and the GLX's 16", but I haven't seen the 17's anywhere, and my VW dealer couldn't offer any help either. CarsDirect.com's list of options refers to them as the "Monte Carlo" alloy.
  • wordman93wordman93 Member Posts: 36
  • afryarafryar Member Posts: 50
    Hi, I have a 2001 Jetta GLX, my girlfried just picked up a 2001 Golf GLS (2.0) automatic. My car's been fine but her Golf which has only 400 miles on it (1 month) has already been back at the dealership for 5 days and now 3 days and counting. Basically the Check Engine light came on followed by the EPC light. Next, the engine loses ALL power and the car cannot move faster than 5 mph. finally, the Airbag light came on. this was after one week. (oh yeah, and the two dings on the roof when she picked it up).

Soooo, they said they "removed and replaced" the Throttle Body Unit. Picked up the car 5 days later, (this is when the airbag light came on) and it ran fine for about 3 weeks until it happened all over again. Has anybody else experienced problems with the EPC light? Is anyone familiar with the Lemon Laws in Mass.? Any help would be appreciated as the dealership is certainly not helping at all. The more the dealership drags this out, I'll start posting their name on here. I can tell you, they weren't very thrilled to see the tow truck with a brand new Golf sitting in their lot.
    Thanks!
  • jdonsbachjdonsbach Member Posts: 1
    Re: 303 -
    I think you are just about at the point where the Mass Lemon Law can kick in (that's 8 days in the shop already!). Call the Attorney General's office to be sure, but I think it is time to start asking for, nay demanding a new car! Let the dealer and VW fix the problem on THEIR time.