Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf

Comments

• sdwilson8sdwilson8 Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a Golf III VW 1995 (76,000 odo) to possibly purchase from a used car lot in Indio, CA, and they have no history on the car. It looks like a VW jetta but as a little sporty station wagon ... In looking it up in the Edmunds.com there is no info on this model!! I really need a reliable dependable car so don't want to purchase a car that has a history of problems ... or easy to steal (like the Jetta). Can anyone give me advice on maintenance, problems, cost re this car??? Thanks!! I only have 2 days a decision re purchase, so would be most grateful!! thanks, Dawn
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Just got off the phone with the service department at Stohlmann's VW in Tyson's Corner, VA. He said that the new recommended timing belt interval change for 2001 TDI automatics is 60,000, the same as for the manual transmission models. Said he was sure there was paper on it, but didn't have the time to research it now. When questioned, he was very firm and confident that his information was accurate. This is what I have heard from a few others as well in the past few months, and had posted earlier. Phone number to the dealership is 703-893-2990. Called the 2 VW customer relations 1-800 numbers but they were clueless.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I would highly recommend not having a TDI serviced at Stohlmann's. Why, they don't have the correct information on the most important maintenance item on the TDI. The manual states 40K for change of timing belt on auto TDI, VWoA maintenance guide for 2001's states 40K, and there is no TSB for the change, and there would be one if a change was made.
    It is very discouraging hearing about the ignorance of some dealers, some of them can not even change the oil properly, the TDI takes 4.4 quarts and many dealers add 5 quarts.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    where are you from man? Stohlmans? That's right in my neck of the woods. They really suck, period. I will never take my car to them again, and their service department is filled with a bunch of [non-permissible content removed].

I watched them change the oil once and he didn't drain it from the pan, only from the filter. Ugh.

- Anthony
  • skinnypooskinnypoo Posts: 20
    1999 Golf Wolfsburg 4 Sale
    Dark Green Metalic, Tan Interior (good condition)
    Power Everything, Cruise, Automatic
    Body color mirrors, handles, darkenend tailights,
    Leather Wrapped Wheel, 6 CD Changer, Cassette
    fog lights and VW whip antenna.
    12,100 miles. (2 years 9 months old) (light mileage)
    Astoria, Queens, USA

Asking for $10,900

email: skinny@escape.com
  • fw1fw1 Posts: 4
    I bought a 93 Golf 20 months ago. About a month ago that car was hit by a drunker. And the insurance company had total my car.

I don't know much about car but I love that car a lot, even though it’s only a small car but it has a lot of power, I never encountered any problem in going uphill. The only problem I ever had with that car was I noticed the maintenance cost for VW seems to be more expensive than other cars. I am not sure if I am right.

Now I am considering buying a new Golf GLX I know the price is about $17,000+. I need to run 70 miles a day, 6 days a week. I wonder if it is a good choice, I appreciate it if someone can give me some insight.
  • winfredwinfred Posts: 11
    I am interested in buying a white golf 4 dr 1.8t with auto, plus the luxury package.
    What is the best deal?
    I am currently living in Davis, CA, in between SF and Sacemento.
    And i am moving to Claremont, CA soon, very near LA,
    Can any one give me some suggustion where should I go get it, in the north or south?, any good dealer recommended?
    bty any difference between 2001 and 2002?
    The 1.8T is discontinued in the Golf 4 door for 2002. If you want this car you will have to buy what ever 2001 that is still at the dealers or buy a 2000 or 2001 used.
    Used Golf 4 door with 1.8T, auto, and luxury with 5 to 10K miles are priced at $17 to 18K.
    FYI the dealers in my area no longer have any 2001 1.8T 4 door Golfs. Good luck.
  • alpanianalpanian Posts: 9
    I snatched one of the last Gofl gls 1.8t in around here (East Bay, CA) just 4 weeks ago. The dealer said he was getting one more (and already had a deposit on it), and that VW was now going to put all their 1.8t engines in the Jettas and GTI's. I was actually surprised that I got a good deal ($10 over invoice) on this hot little car. I got the luxury package, Monsoon and manual. I love it. If you really want the 4 door I would hurry and buy the first one you see. It will not be around for long.
  • jtedescojtedesco Posts: 2
    Can someone explain why the 1.8T in the Golf/Beetle/Jetta puts out 150 hp while the 1.8T in the Passat and A4 puts out 170 hp?

Same engine right? Can you dial up the Golf?
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    You can "dial" up the Golf 1.8T to 170HP if you don't mind "dialling out" your warranty.

If VW is not supplying 1.8Ts for the 2002 Golf and Jetta, what will be the replacement engine?
    There is no "replacement engine" in Golf for the 1.8T. The Jetta will continue to offer the 1.8T and the good news is;

2002 Jetta

- New VR6 24V with 201 hp and 5-speed automatic transmission (first car in its segment to offer this feature) with Tiptronic® will replace current 12V VR6 by mid model year
    - Manual transmission (6-speed) will be available later in the year for the VR6 24V
    - Accentuated dual chrome exhaust on 24V VR6 models
    - 1.8T engine increased from 150hp to 180hp
    - 5-speed automatic transmission (first car in its segment to offer this feature) with Tiptronic® available on 1.8T
    - Premium CD/cassette radio for GLS and GLX
    - New Color (Reflex Silver will replace Silver Arrow)
    - Trunk escape handle
    - Cruise control indicator light
    - On/Off switch for self dimming mirror

For the Golf;

2002 Golf

- New color (Mojave Beige)
    - Premium CD/cassette radio standard on GLS (mid-model year introduction)
    - Cruise control indicator light
    - 4 doors will now be available on GL

Who knows why VWoA does what it does? Some have speculated that the 1.8T in 4 door Golf makes the 1.8T in the GTI seem less sporty, I can not predict what VWoA is going to do because most of the time their decisions defy all logic.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Any word on the TDI models? Carryover with little or no changes? Available in GL and GLS? 2.0L still available in GL and GLS? Thanks.
    Today, Volkswagen of America, Inc. announced a new vehicle warranty available on all 2002 Volkswagen models that begin arriving at U.S. dealerships this month and throughout the summer and fall. Volkswagen said it based its new warranty for the 2002 model year on customer research and feedback, creating a more optimal warranty focused on providing even better comprehensive coverage for today's Volkswagen customer.

For the 2002 model year, all new Volkswagen vehicles will come standard with an increased four-year/50,000 mile (whichever occurs first) bumper-to- bumper warranty, up from two years/24,000 miles. The warranty covers wear- and-tear items and adjustments during the initial 12 months or 12,000 miles of ownership.

In addition, Volkswagen will offer a fully transferable limited powertrain warranty that covers five years or 60,000 miles (previously 10 years/100,000 miles, but transferable only from the original retail owner to a family member).

"Volkswagen's previous Protection Plus Warranty, which was the first of its kind in the industry when we launched it some six years ago, has offered many customers benefits -- especially to those owners who plan to own a Volkswagen for many years to come," said Frank Maguire, vice president in charge of sales and marketing. "We want to be responsive to our customers and research tells us the new 4/50 offers what today's buyer expects from a premium warranty. It reflects our commitment to meeting the evolving preferences of our customers."

Volkswagen's new warranty plan also includes the added security of a four- year/50,000 mile, 24-hour roadside assistance program (increased from 2001's two-year term).

Exceptional corrosion perforation coverage remains 12 years with no mileage limit for all fully-galvanized Volkswagen vehicles (Cabrio covered for six years, Eurovan for eight years.)

Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG. As America's top-selling European brand, Volkswagen markets a full line of vehicles through a network of some 600 dealers in the United States.
    I posted this in the GTI forum too.

The Audi A4/Passat (B5 platform) share the same 1.8T. The GTI/Jetta (A4 platform) share a transversely mounted 1.8T compared to that of the B5. All that VW did to get the HP up to 170/180 was up the pressure through the turbo (more boost!).

- Anthony
    Moparbad, you started to sound like a commercial in your last comment. You still didn't say what will replace the 1.8T in the Golf. It's probably the 2.0 right? This is not a bad engine and actually has more "bite" than the turbo. You know, that feeling of instantaneous response when pressing the gas pedal slightly.
    The 1.8T has turbo lag and it's Drive-by-wire as opposed to cable throttle with the 2.0

- Anthony
  • ash328ash328 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 1999 VW Golf 4 dr. I love it. I'm at 50K and in need of new tires. I commute daily in our wonderful New England weather. Any advice?

I'm looking at Michelin MX4 Plus. But I'm finding tire shopping VERY confusing.

Thanks in advance
    Arnie
    Boston, MA
    arnie@ici.net
    Just look at the size of your current tires and get whatever you want in the same size. No confusion.
    About what tire is the best. Go to www.tirerack.com and put in your tire size/model car and it will give you all the possible tires. Then they have reviews and tests about the tires. It will help you out a lot.

- Anthony