Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I have a 2001 with the side curtain airbags. I am not guessing. The side curtain airbags are one air bag on each side. Each side has one continuous air bag that protects both front and rear occupants. There are tags on the A and B pillar, but they do not represent separate airbags.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    there are in the Golf, I think there may be a few more your not counting that occupy the seats!

Just kidding of course guys.
    The Golf is assembled in Brazil and the Jetta in Mexico. Yes, they are basically the same except that the Jetta has a trunk and offers a V6.
    The possibility that there is difference in quality of assembly between the two factories can not be eliminated.
    Reading the experiences on Edmunds would make me think so. Remember that people that do not have problems are not motivated to post the problem free experiences they are having.
    Statistically the Golf is average in reliability. I make this statement after reviewing the reports that are compiled by JD Power, Automotive Information Systems, and others.
    An example of reliability report is the one by AIS on the 1996 and 1997 Golf which achieves a 5 out of 5 (best-minimal problems).
    Relying on my opinion or the opinion of just one of the other people who post in this forum is not a good indicator of reliabilty. In my past experience the only make of cars that were lemons and were owned by people I personnally know were Chryslers. You might have a Chrysler that is perfect.
    Out of the roughly 25 people that I am acquainted with that own VW's (primarily diesels) none of them have had reliability problems as reported in this forum.
    A broken window regulator, replacing a MAF, relay 109, replacing a tailight bulb more frequent than normal, these type of problems do exist, but not all on the same vehicle.
    I did a lot of research on VW, the Golf, and TDI prior to my purchase of one. Based on the research I expected average to above average reliability and I have not been disappointed. Based on my research I expected below average dealer quality. The dealer network needs improvement.
  • weatherdanweatherdan Member Posts: 28
    One of the primary benefits/purposes of any car forum is to discuss that car's reliability problems as opposed to cheerleading for it. Naturally it follows that there will then be more people discussing those problems for others considering a purchase. As was the case on this forum in 1999 when I was searching for information about the New Golf model. Then I was happy to read about all the changes and great new features in the New Golf to address various problems with the late 1990s models. Unfortunately, despite the new Golf model, the changes did not seem to address the electrical and hardware problems. My Golf model was the last assembled in Germany. I don't know if the assembly now in Brazil makes any difference but the indications from the frequency of repair records in Consumer Reports don't show much improvement. One thing I wish Consumer Reports would do is list the number of responses they get for each car model year and what defines "Insufficient data".

If it comes down to Consumer Reports vs. JD Power in determining a car's likely reliability, as far as I am concerned I'd go with the former for objectivity. Your mileage may vary. JD Power is well known for initial customer satisfaction survey results. In fact, car companies use JD Power results in their advertisements all the time. Unfortunately, initial satisfaction surveys tell little to nothing about a car's likely reliability after a year or so. Who would not be initially satisfied when they buy a new car? The "honeymoon" stage with a new car can last quite a while. As it should when you purchase a vehicle for $15K-$20K. Except perhaps for a new Chrysler! But that's for a different forum. ;-)
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    But mine was made in Germany... maybe that has something to do with it.

The GTI gets a VR6 just like the Jetta...
  • hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    if there is a build quality difference between similar VW cars built in Germany vs Mexico vs Brazil. Do Wolfsburg Editions have fewer problems than other VW's?

Anybody know?
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    does anyone have cost figures and/or performance figures for neuspeed supercharger conversion on 2.0L or upsilon chip on tdi? i was thinking 1.8t 4dr golf, but to my great dismay, have learned they are discontinuing this option.:(:(:( also, did i hear correctly that VW is launching the golf V in 2003??? if so, any info? hopefully, if true, the rear seat gets a little more legroom. thanks in advance for any help.
  • kwolekkwolek Member Posts: 1
    I own the VWGolf GLS IV (automatic) for 2 years. Mileage 28,000. I had some minor problems like broken cup holder in the back and stuck rear safety belt. Also the oxygen sensor failed. Everything was fixed under warranty. I don't really know anybody who complains about major things. My Golf was made in Germany (Wolfsburg). The build quality is outstanding, materials first rated. Car is beautiful and looks like new after 2 years of heavy usage. In contrast many Japanese cars like Civic looks good when new. After few years paint fades and usually after 10 years you have to replace the car. I am automotive engineer, so I can guarantee, that the Golf will last at least 15 years (maybe with minor problems)and will still look good. The body rust protection is the best in the industry (zinc galvanizing process). Japanese cars usually are very reliable when new, but after 8-10 years everything (but power train) is falling apart. I know it from my, and other people experience. In contrast German cars are build to last. So it is your choice, buy the reliable car for 8 years, or little less reliable for 20. I prefer the second option. Regarding so call "quality". In Europe "quality" means not only reliability like in the US. It is also build quality, fit and finish, materials, driving performance, looks, comfort and many other aspect, which VW delivers the best way. I have a great pleasure to drive my Golf every day. The breaks are outstanding (all disk), comfort is great and the sound system top notch (8 speakers in the doors, not chip substitutes in the back shelf). I am looking forward to buy the new VW Minibus as soon as it apears on the market.
    Congratulation VW for fantastic cars.
  • emilyopheliaemilyophelia Member Posts: 8
    I'm planning on purchasing a Golf GLS, auto w/ luxury package in the next month or so. My first question is should I wait for the 2002 models to come out? And, more importantly, what is a fair price for me to pay? I'm in NW New Jersey. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • scrumshyscrumshy Member Posts: 8
    I wanted to know if anybody has gotten their 1.8 T golf chipped? I just bought a used 2000 golf. i like it very much so far. SO anyways/....if yours is chipped....how much was it and where did you get from and where did you get it installed?
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    The biggest difference is the change in the warranty. Depends on how much you drive and how long you intend to keep the car. Unless you get a great deal on a leftover, I'd wait if I could.
    I just spoke to a VW dealer in Stroudsburg, PA. For a 2001 Golf GLS, auto, luxury package, monsoon, and cold weather package, indigo blue with black interior, he quoted me a price of $18500 (msrp is $20,070). I had only been looking for a GLS auto with luxury package, but this sounds like a decent deal, especially without having gone in and negotiated-- I just called him to see what he had in stock. Thoughts, anyone?
    beacuse for 2002 there is no 1.8T Golf GLS anymore. They need to clear out their stock. 18K seems like a good deal though.

- Anthony
    Good price based on numbers provided. I tried to figure out what motor the Golf had but could not come close to the $20,070 with 2.0, 1.8T or TDI.
    2.0 was less $ and TDI and 1.8T were more $.
    Remember that the warranty for the 2001 is 2/24 and the warranty for the 2002 is 4/50.
    If warranty is important to you then you are better off waiting for 2002 Golf.
    the current warranty because of the 10/100000 powertrain warranty. The 4/50000 bumper to bumper is nice, but the VW dealers really don't fix any of your bumper to bumper problems to begin with. The 02J tranny on our MK4s is pretty crappy, and I'm happy knowing I have 100,000 miles not to worry about it. I'm at 18,900 miles right now on my 01 GTI VR6, and I'm positive that it'll be replaced before the powertrain warranty is over. It's grinding, clunking, rough shifting, etc...
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    You could always buy an additional warranty to cover the powertrain to 100k. Either way you pay for it.
  • sonnyb7799sonnyb7799 Member Posts: 13
    Is the turbo included in the powertrain warranty of 10 yrs/100k miles?
    The turbo on the TDI is included in the 10/100 powertrain warranty.
  • rschapelrschapel Member Posts: 1
    Been looking at a level 4 exclusion warranty (covers wear and tear damage). It looks like its going to cost me about 1100 for 5 yrs 75k zero deductable. Should go for this? in both senses... as in is it a good deal? and should i get this considering i am getting a VW... with a 2/yr 24k warranty?

--Randy
  • ejayvejayv Member Posts: 4
    What's up everyone? I'm a new member and this Tuesday I will be going to pick up my 2001 Golf GLS 1.8T manual. Can't wait as I'm sick of driving my 98 Honda. Not fun enough for me so I got a 1.8T. I got it with lux. package, monsoon, side air bags, and the NE emissions package (required here in VA) for 18,800. That includes the tags, title, and fee. In the near future I will be looking to make a few upgrades such as wheels, exhaust, and we'll see after that. Does anybody know of a good exhaust that isn't too damn loud. I like a little growl but don't like the super loud ones. Also, I've heard of the problems other owners have had with lint balls accumulating on the seats and was wondering if there is anything I can do to combat that problem.? Thanks everyone.
  • kurumasukikurumasuki Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am new to this list. I am seriously thinking of buying(cash down) a brandnew '01 Golf GLS 4AT or Jetta GLS 4AT with cold weather and luxury packages as option. The dealer is giving me 6% off MSRP here in Toronto, Canada for both models. The out of the door price given was CAD $28,430 for the Golf and $30,118 for the Jetta.

My questions are:
    1. 6% off MSRP; is that a good deal?
    2. Which is the better car to buy, Jetta or Golf? (extra cost for the Jetta is of no concern)
    3. Do I pay the local GST/PST taxes on the delivery, freight inspection and air conditioning tax? Paying tax on a tax sounds a little strange!
    4. Which is safer in real-world situation if you get rear-ended?
    4. I know VW is coming out with a new Golf soon, at least in Germany. Will that affect the re-sales value of the Golf?
    5. Which car has better re-sales value? Seems Jettas are more popular in Canada.
    ( I intend to keep the car for at least 4 yrs if not more, gonna be wife's car anyway!)
    6. Last but not least, are both models equally reliable? Had a Japanese and German car before (not in Canada) and both were rock solid. I'm not noisy about minor glitches though.

Apologies for the long post and I know I should post in the Jetta forum also, which I'll do.

Looking forward to hear your opinions.
    I've seen many posts from owners in the Northern VA area and was wondering if anybody had any opinions on Alexandria VW? Personally I don't have much nice to say about Stohlman, or Fairfax VW either but was curious if anybody has had good/bad relations with Alexandria.
  • dbakalardbakalar Member Posts: 39
    I bought my Golf at Alexandria VW, and the salesman was a COMPLETE moron. I actually sat with the sales manager to work out my deal, was pretty happy with what I ended up with, and she didn't jerk me around and keep me there all damn day either. One of the swiftest visits to a dealer that I've ever been involved in. I've never used their service department, but have heard horror stories about them. As for Stohlman... I bought a 92 VW from them and was VERY dissatisfied with how I was treated. And their service department staff is VERY rude. WAY rude!
    Just my $.02.
    Thanks Anthony and dbakalar for the responses. I actually bought my car through carsdirect and I only had to deal with the online salesperson (Chris Alvarez) via the phone. He was a delight to work with. I haven't actually bought my car yet, just waiting to see what APR I can get with my credit union. I'll go and do the paperwork at the dealer either Tuesday or Thursday night. Chris had to get my car from Northern PA though so I was quite happy with him. Thanks again.
    Hello, all. Just for fun, I went to carsdirect.com to check their pricing on a 2001 Golf GLS, automatic, w/luxury package. Their price was $17556 compared to $19100 MSRP, and $18056 invoice. I'm thinking about taking this to the dealer and asking him to match it....any thoughts?
    I just spoke to two local VW dealers. I'm in the market for a 2001 Golf GLS, automatic w/ luxury package. I'm planning on buying next week. One dealer quoted me $17506, and other quoted me $17300 (he said this is wholesale pricing, and therefore could only give me wholesale pricing on my trade-in). These prices sound decent to me- how about you guys? Thanks!
    Okay. I spoke with a dealer last night who quoted me $17300 for a Golf GLS, automatic, green w/ luxury package. Do you guys think I should accept this pricing (it sounds good to me) or bargain a bit more...maybe get some 'free' stuff thrown in?? I plan on closing the deal tonight, so any help would be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks!
    emilyophelia,

$17300 for a Golf GLS, auto., with luxury package sure sounds like quite a decent price to me. Beware of any last second attempts to add on pure profit but meaningless items (like the infamous "acid rain protection package"). Also look out for any unusually high dealer prep. charge where they can try to make up for a low ball price.
  • publicgatorpublicgator Member Posts: 1
    Emilyphelia,

$17300 for a GLS with auto and lux is a good deal if it is $700 under Edmunds invoice price. I didn't check the invoice. Be aware that:

1) there is a factory to dealer incentive of $1000 available to VW dealers that isn't listed on the edmunds web site. About a week ago this was $1250, but dropped down for reasons which make sense to no one, particularly the dealerships. This is why you are getting a great deal. I found this out from a dealer who didn't have the car I wanted (1.8T with 5sp) and had some time on her hands to talk on the phone.

2) The Dealer invoice can be slightly different from the Edmunds invoice.

I just bought a VW Golf GLS 4dr 1.8T 5-speed (indigo blue on tan, gorgeous!) with the lux package and CA emit. The total sale price of the car (including dest charge of $550 and showroom floor fee or something for $89, but before tax and CA title) was about $17760. I negotiated from invoice, and the price agreed on was $900 below the actual DEALER invoice sheet (which I saw) but was actually only $700 below the EDMUNDS invoice price. I was suspicious at first, but I confirmed the dealer invoice numbers with another dealer who would have given me the car for $200 more, but with the monsoon sound system included. Didn't buy from him because the color he had was White on Grey, which I am not to crazy about.

3) If you read edmunds.com, you know about the last-second attempts to add stuff to the deal. Weatherdan is correct, you will be offered various things that you may not want. Resist the urge.

4) "dealer prep" is pretty much non-existent today. The only charges like that I had were the $86 showroom fee on the invoice. The only additional fees (aside from $150 for CA licence paid to DMV and $1400 or so in sales tax) I paid were a $45 document prep fee (to register the car for me, and have all the DMV paperwork done) and a $5 tire disposal fee. Strongly question any attempts to add a advertising fee or prep fee over $100-150.

Enjoy your new car!
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    "$86 showroom fee" What if your car was never in the showroom?
    "$5 tire disposal fee" Make sense if you were buying a set of new tires, but a new car?
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    I charge a $5 consultation fee when I walk into a showroom and a salesman wants to talk to me. Tell them you can play their silly game too.
  • minelakaminelaka Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking at a 1.8Turbo with leather, Golf or Jetta...I cant make up my mind. Can anyone give me any advice/input about the differences between both cars? thanx
    You better hurry otherwise your mind will be made up for you.
  • minelakaminelaka Member Posts: 8
    What will replace the 1.8T Golf? are the replacements already on the lots?
    I think the 2002 Golfs with have just the 2.0L, but don't quote me on that. This is probably to further differentiate the Golf from the GTI. Of course, you could still get a 2002 GTI with the 1.8T, if you don't mind 2 doors. Haven't seen any 2002s yet.
    Golf GL with 2 doors or 4 is available with 1.9L TDI or 2.0L and the 4 door GLS is available with 1.9L TDI or 2.0L and is available only with 4 doors. GTI offers the 1.8T and the VR6.
    If you want 1.8T with 4 doors then you can choose the Jetta. Want 1.8T with a hatch and 4 doors then the only choice is the Jetta Wagon.
    2002 Golfs have not arrived in US. 2002 Jetta and Beetle are here but it is worth note that the Puebla Mexico plant is on strike.
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    are the dimensions the same for rear seat and cargo capacity? the 2 door appears smaller? are the doors bigger on the 2 door, hence the car looks smaller? can anyone help with info on how to best search for gls 5spd 1.8t? none on Long Island. should i use a car search?? recomendations? or call each dealer myself? any help greatly appreciated.
  • nsheanshea Member Posts: 1
    I have a recurring problem with my VW - that the dealer has "fixed" several times during my warranty period, with no luck.

the problem is that on occasion (right when it starts up, most recently in the heat, but in the past has been in cold) it searches for the correct idle speed, sometimes revving up to 1000 rpms above.

Has anyone else had this problem? they have so far replaced oxygen sensors and a temp gauge to fix - now the revving is less dramatic, but not gone.

Help! I go off warranty at the end of this month.
    Just because your warranty ends in a month does not mean that your idle problem will cost you to fix. If the problem started before the warranty expiration and the dealer has attempted to fix it, he is still obligated to resolve it under warranty after expiration.
    I've had my 2001 VW Golf for about a month now. 2200 miles, and no problems until last Friday. As I was driving home from work, the EPC light came on and I experienced a reduction in power. After I turned the car off and started it again, the light went off, and the car was fine. I called the service dept. at my VW dealer, and they said that since the light went off, it was probably a fluke, and not to worry.

Tuesday, I was on my way home, and the EPC light came on again. I pulled over, turned the car off, waited a minuted, then started it. This time, both the EPC and check engine lights came on. The car started revving. I called the dealer (spoke to the sales person as the service area was closed) and he told me that since I was close to home, drive it there, and have VW roadside tow it to the dealer. So that's what I did.

Yesterday, they didn't even look at the car.

Today, when I called to check on it, they said that they found that my battery had a low charge. They're going to charge it and go from there.

Has anyone else had this problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #2 of 2 Follow up by emilyophelia Sep 20, 2001 (01:24 pm)
    Well, the service guy just called and said that the problem was a low charge on the battery. I asked him why it took 2000+ miles for this to happen...how could the battery lose charge??? They charged it all day today and say it's fine now.

Do I believe them?
    I've had my 2001 VW Golf for about a month now. 2200 miles, and no problems until last Friday. As I was driving home from work, the EPC light came on and I experienced a reduction in power. After I turned the car off and started it again, the light went off, and the car was fine. I called the service dept. at my VW dealer, and they said that since the light went off, it was probably a fluke, and not to worry.

Tuesday, I was on my way home, and the EPC light came on again. I pulled over, turned the car off, waited a minuted, then started it. This time, both the EPC and check engine lights came on. The car started revving. I called the dealer (spoke to the sales person as the service area was closed) and he told me that since I was close to home, drive it there, and have VW roadside tow it to the dealer. So that's what I did.

Yesterday, they didn't even look at the car.

Today, when I called to check on it, they said that they found that my battery had a low charge. They're going to charge it and go from there.

Has anyone else had this problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #2 of 2 Follow up by emilyophelia Sep 20, 2001 (01:24 pm)
    Well, the service guy just called and said that the problem was a low charge on the battery. I asked him why it took 2000+ miles for this to happen...how could the battery lose charge??? They charged it all day today and say it's fine now.

Do I believe them?
  • teresitateresita Member Posts: 20
    what is the difference between
    the Golf, with a 1.8t, sport suspension,
    and a standard GTI?

i like the GTI, however would like
    a four door vehicle, which i can only get
    in the Golf ...
    therefore, isn't the Golf, 1.8t , spt. susp. the same as a four door GTI?
    please correct me if i'm wrong about this.
    thanks to all.
    Well basically the 1.8T Golf with sport suspension is the same as the GTI, until now. The 1.8T Golf has been discontinued for 2002. If you want a 4 door 1.8T, you'll have to pay more for the less convienient Jetta.
    Looked at 2002 VW's at Team VW in Merrillville, IN and they had a sticker in addition to the factory sticker that listed additional equipment. The additional equipment included splash guards for $295.00 and paint/fabric protection for $499.00.
    Does anyone besides me feel that $295.00 for splash guards is nearly stealing?
    $299 for splash guards and $499 for paint/fabric protection?!?! That's not just
    stealing but insulting the intelligence of customers. You can protect the fabric
    with a can of Scotch-Guard for less than $10!! As for the paint protection, I
    hope they are not going back to that ridiculous "acid rain protection" sales
    gimmick again. Acid rain is not a new phenomenom. It also happens to be a
    subject that I deal with through my job.
    I wonder how many people have fallen for the old "fabric protection" trick?
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    the $295 for splash guards seems GENEROUS compared to $499 for 'fabric protector'. Put a decimal between the four and the nine, and you have the actual cost of a can of Scotchgard.
  • larryzenglarryzeng Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone. This is my first time to post a message in this board though i have been reading for a long time. I am currently looking for a 2002 gold GL automatic and i am living in LA area. The invoice of this car from Edmunds.com is $15458. Has anyone purchased a 2002 GL at a price close to this number? Any dealer information? I will really appreciate your advice and input.

Take care,

larry
  • salomsalom Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into buying a Golf and I wanted to get a manual transmission. I have test driven both auto and manual. With the auto, the acceleration and overall feel of the car was good, but with the manual once I shifted the car into 5th I felt like I needed to shift again? I could feel the engine straining a bit. Is this normal for "new" manual transmissions (less than 30 miles on the car)? Do you have to break them in like the Sales person said? Is this typical of all manual transmissions in new cars? I am hesitant in getting the automatic only because my husband claims the car vibrates in idle even though it didn't when I drove it. He fears that might come with time. If any owners or if any knowledgeable person can give me some input, I would appreciate it. I really need to make up my mind(auto or manual)asap.

Thanks!