Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part XII

mznmzn Member Posts: 727
edited March 2014 in Ford
Part twelve, coming right up!

Let me remind you, friends, that you may only post
photos for which you personally hold the
copyright. I must scribble all other photos because
of copyright law. May I also ask you not to post
using different colors? Not all of our users have
monitors that make color easy to read. Thanks!

To catch up, start reading here.

carlady/host

Comments

• vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    silver_bullet,

in your previous post you were mentioning an 'oil suction device' I can use to remove factory tranny oil.
    Have used one before?
    Where can I find it?
  • tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    Say...I've been admiring the wheels that come on th ZTS. Does anybody know where I can get them. I'm not decided, but I'm tempted. like them better than the ZX3's, and I know they'll be an easy fit.

I tried all the auction places. Nothing. Suggestions?
  • bjammin2bjammin2 Member Posts: 42
    Togneter-when you haul things, do you flip the rear seat cushion up too?
    Yes, I always flip the cushion up unless I'm hauling something lightweight for a short distance. Seems like the hinges would be put under undue stress otherwise.
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    jw- thanks for the link .many happy miles. the
    zinker looks great! as you stated,it is amazing how inferior products win out. has more to do with marketing than any single influence.sad,but true.
  • silyboysilyboy Member Posts: 90
    here is a simple ? has anyone changed the speakers
    on their car yet?? if so how easy (or difficult)
    was it?! i am very interested in knowing!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    You just missed a set on eBay, but I passed on them because they looked a bit scruffy in the photo. As I've mentioned, I bought a set of take-offs from someone on eBay and had the Tire Rack mount and balance a set of performance spec rubber -- but I was very tempted to switch to the ZTS wheel. You might want to try some of the local or online salvage yards, although wheels usually get bent in a collision. Maybe one of the larger Ford dealers on the 'net has some take-offs from a new car that was fitted with aftermarket wheels for a customer. It is also possible the Tire Rack has some take-offs; they do buy them sometimes.
  • jimmyfocuszx3jimmyfocuszx3 Member Posts: 65
    I am counting 13 manual transmissions, but I may be wrong.
  • jimmyfocuszx3jimmyfocuszx3 Member Posts: 65
    And, and since someone asked. I live in Pittsburgh, PA and am always looking for fellow ZX3 owners to meet with on some Saturday afternoon, especially if someone has a line on local Solo II autocross action

Jimmy
  • kdominczakkdominczak Member Posts: 174
    Speakers in Focus are much better quality than most stock speakers in cheap cars.
    If you want to upgrade you can fit 5"x7" in front and rear.
    My advice would be to replace the front speakers only, and use the component speakers (separate woofer,tweeter and outboard crossover).Systems like that can cost between $100 - $700 a pair, and can sound much better than only decent stock speakers.
    If you are replacing the speakers only, and you don't want to add a power amplifier, make sure that the speakers you will buy will be efficient (at least 91 dB).
    There is a lot of good speakers out there so shop around, internet can be very helpful.
    Good luck.
  • kdominczakkdominczak Member Posts: 174
    Replacement can be painful, specially the rear so if you are not very experienced, let the pro's handle it.
    And the most important, SPEAKERS GRILLS DON'T COME OFF!!!! So you must do a little surgery there and remove the door panels.
    does anyone know who is the actual mfg.of the stock
    system? i am still impressed with the stock sound
    quality.like the z itself,it is a very well-balanced packaged.first car i have owned,where i have no desire to replace the speakers.listening to
    music on a daily basis has been a life-long passion
    of mine.ive found the stock speakers to be very natural-sounding,producing no listener fatigue.of
    course,selection of speakers is a very personal
    preference.the stock speakers to my ears are very
    neutral,adding very little coloration,if any to the music.bass response is very adequate for its size.
    yo! brettzx3 - rain or shine, to live to breathe another day,a weekend never spoiled.this weekend outlook,looking very sunny indeed!enjoy!
  • loolalaloolala Member Posts: 19
    Loaded manual Silver Z. Took delivery in June. 2 days after that, the battery was dead (with 65 miles). I posted that incident here, but seems like I'm the only one with that problem. It just pass 1600 miles, and no other problems since.

Treva: I live in the East Bay and I've seen just more than 10 Z's since it came out. I mainly drive up and down 880.
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    The factory headunit is manufactured by Visteon.

http://www.evisteon.com/

http://www.visteon.com/
  • alfaromeoalfaromeo Member Posts: 210
    There is no more 'Civic hatch vs. Focus hatch' forum. I guess it's kind'a logical, what with Honda retiring its hatch from the market.
    Also, that column was getting sort of off topic I guess...
    Hope you guys are having fun with your new cars. Watch out for incompetent drivers - I've nearly been hit twice in two days in my new GTI. As a European, I continue to believe that American drivers lack basic driving skills. I know I'm not supposed to say that - it will cost me a lot of sympathy and it's not terribly 'PC', but nonetheless... after a year in the US... I'm starting to be convinced! Also, it seems that new shiny cars attract careless drivers like nothing else. (just today, a van nearly hit me while I was standing still waiting for a left turn light - I saw him in my mirror waving like an idiot at strike pickets outside ATT, and his van sverved right behind me at full speed. Fortunately, he realized his mistake at the last moment. There were also two police cars parked near by... but that did not seem to procure him any sense at all!
    Moron. I hope he hits a tree next time he pulls such a stunt... Ahhh... sorry guys... I just had to vent it...
    Not only is the current Civic hatch a lame duck, but posting in that topic was something one did "at your own risk". The constant attacks on any non-Honda worshipper got very tiresome.
  • zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    alfa - coming in here to pick on us now, eh? ;)
    alfaromeo,
    what do you mean there is no more Civ. vs. Foc. forum? Last time I checked it is still there.

silver bullet,
    I must disagree with you. I'm not a Honda warshipper and nobody attacked me there. Those guys could be quite harsh, but so what?
    I'm not one that easily offended and enjoy a heated debate. I thought this is the purpose of the boards like this.
    I can be wrong, but in my opinion it makes the discussion alive.
    Constant "I'm so happy, this is the best car on the surface of the Earth" can become tiresome quite quickly.
  • zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    This is going to be taken in the wrong way - but I don't MEAN it in a bad way ... really not trying to pick a fight BUT if you want "I'm so happy, this is the best car onthe surface of the Earth" - talk to Honda owners - they are just as smitten.

And I don't think it's a lovefest 24/7 here at all. A lot of people use it to discuss and share the problems and the bugs. Far from perfect.
    "...really not trying to pick a fight."

This is what I am talking about.
    Why do you call an intelligent(and unintelligent sometimes inbetween) argumentation a fight?
    There is no war going on. Nobody is gonna be declared a winner.
    For me it seems like a lot of people are afraid to post simply because they are afraid to offend somebody.
    I'm not advocating a name calling, but c'mon.
    And alfaromeo,
    yes, american drivers are bad drivers.
    just say it as it is. Please,don't try to apologize in advance. If you offend somebody by this, hey everybody is different and have their own opinion and freedom to express them.
  • alfaromeoalfaromeo Member Posts: 210
    I think it's fine to be excited about a car - especially a new model like the zx3. I also agree that the tone in 'the other forum' was not always pleasant. Personally, I think Honda are fine cars, - especially the Honda hatch WHEN PROPERLY EQUIPPED! - the stripped down version which Honda has marketed in the US lately does not get my pulse up at all. Such a car only contributes to the 'hatch is cheap' concept. The ZX3 on the other hand, offers a lot of equipment at a very competitive price. I know, I test drove two of 'em. There ARE a few small details which I really disliked, like the shift signal light and I think the car deserves a better finish inside. But let's face it: there aren't that many cars around as cool as the ZX3. Personally, I think the ZX3 looks great in black!
  • mrbrookmrbrook Member Posts: 4
    Togneter,
    Add my ZX3 to your manual column. It must be awfully boring to drive, or should I say "steer", the automatic. However, I can see the advantages of the auto in stop-and-go traffic.

9000+ miles on my Focus since taking delivery just after New Year's Day. Running flawlessly. My only complaint is with various fit/finish problems, such as a poorly adhered black strip on the rear hatch, which was replaced under warranty. The part actually arrived within a week.

I still have seen relatively few ZX3's in the Longmont/Boulder Colorado area. I don't quite understand why, because it's a wonderful car. Maybe the dealers just can't get them from the factory.

MrBrook
    I left the Honda/ZX3 forum long ago. Like vadp, I enjoy heated and intelligent debate. As you'll remember, vadp, I brought this up with carlady during the infamous DRL battle of 2000 =].

My problem with that forum was that it lacked the key ingredient of being intelligent. There were one or two posters who 1) felt it their responsibility to respond to EVERYTHING, 2) never conceded ANYTHING, no matter how well the opposing point was made, and 3) made unsupportable statements and got mad when you pointed out the flaw in their logic.

So I just left. Wasn't worth it.
    I concede your point about lively discussions, but I think the heavy-handedness exhibited in the other forum discouraged much participation - I think some people just got tired of the tone and decided it wasn't worth it to post there.

As for this forum being a "love-fest", far from it. I think folks here are pretty blunt with their comments and criticisms - as it should be. I still feel this forum offers a prospective buyer tons of useful feedback, as well as helpful advice to those who took the plunge and bought a Z.
  • brettzx3brettzx3 Member Posts: 28
    Stanky73 (Joe) I received your contribution, but it wasn't necessary! What's a buck between fellow foci owners??? But, thanks for the thought, it was appreciated.

Ok, now everyone stop picking on the automatics. Nobody has poked fun at the 5 speeds. We all have our personal preferences, and that doesn't make them wrong, stupid or boring. We buy what we want. Aren't we all on the same team??
    O, how could I forget it! :)
    That battle was of the truly epic proportions.
    No casualties though.
    Now I'm 100% agree with you.

I'm here 'cause I like this board.
    My point was that it doesn't have to be 'sterile' in order to be fun, useful and pleasant place to discuss good and bad experiences.
    And all of us have different backgrounds and understandings of what is appropriate and tollerable.
    BTW at the "the other forum" I saw some less than intelligent postings from the ZX3 side too.
    I think that those other forum guys don't tolerate subjective feelings too much and need to be nailed with facts and links to prove them to change their opinions. And I respect that.
    They simply don't accept have trues, hard to prove facts or unproven records.
    And the Focus is too new to argue about relibility(a big selling point for the Civic)
    Hey SB, how much did those go for?
    I didn't put them on my "watch list", so they slipped away before I noticed if they sold. I seem to recall they weren't getting many bids, though. Keep in mind you will need the different lug nuts and center caps to use ZTS wheels - they have exposed lugs instead of center caps. Want a shock? Call your dealer's parts dept. and get a price on them!
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    Not sure if someone mentioned this before, but I found this as I was wandering around Edmunds...

The headline reads:

Ford Teams Up With General Mills to Create the Cheerio Edition Focus

Full article can be found here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/editorial/exhaust/cheerio.html?id=nl

(note: this is satire) ;)

re: drebe73/visteon
    -thanks 4 posting the direct link to the focus article!!

Gabe
  • bdshortbdshort Member Posts: 27
    Bought my RF Green ZX3 back in April in Montana. In May, drove through Canada to my home in Alaska...

I have 3600 miles or so on my ZX3 (I'm on a small island so it doesnt get driven very far every day), and so far no problems.

I have noticed the diesel like rattle at low rpm's in a lower gears (usually 2nd seems the worst, under 2000 rpm), and the chattering when in neutral, so I see I'm not the only one after reading some posts. I also have a small buzzy rattle coming from under the dash, but am not sure what it's coming from. I only hear it when on rough roads normally.

Ok, a couple questions...

I noticed on the passenger side doors there were a several light scratches (I think from rocks from driving on a dirt road?). The Rain X Fast Wax I have seemed to hide some of them, and lessen the others... any other good polishes that could hide these? Also, where can I pick up some mudguards for all 4 wheels? They might save my paint because there are lots of dirt roads here, plus I think they might look pretty good.

One more... Are there any pics yet of the fully equipped 2001 ZX3's?

Brian
  • bdshortbdshort Member Posts: 27
    I've also noticed that the seat material is very good at collecting lint. My seats are covered in a light layer of white lint... any ways to prevent and clean the seats? I also have a small water stain in the driving seat (from wet pants I think, it rains a lot here), good stuff to use to get rid of this?

Brian
    bdshort, you sound like someone who could actually justify driving an Escape - I'm surprised you chose the Focus! I've found that one of those lint rollers works well to keep the seat cloth free of specks - you know, the gizmos that are basically a roll of inside-out masking tape on a stick. It also sounds like a set of Pat's mudflaps are in order to save your paint.

I've followed the posts concerning the gearbox sound often described as a "diesel" rattle. If the sound you all are describing is what I've noticed in both of our ZX3s, I'd have to say it was normal gear rattle. This type of noise is relatively common in gearboxes designed to run ATF lubes for low friction reasons (read: better fuel economy). Try running a synthetic lube like Redline MTL to see if you notice a change in this "rattle"; ATF doesn't offer nearly as much "cushioning" as heavier, conventional gear lubes.
    and since our gearbox was designed to run on ATF,
    how come it rattles.
    I'm not the only one complaining about that noise
    and not aware of any other car currently on the market having the same problem.
  • robbieg2robbieg2 Member Posts: 5
    I've seen several posts regarding having a sunroof (a REAL one instead of some nebulous manual one for 2001 . . . nobody seems to know a lick about it) installed in their Z. I've had mine in now for about a month and will NEVER look back - what a gas! I did a significant amount of research and ended up with a Solaire 5300 (inbuilt electric with autoclose) The dealer I went to in Quakertown, PA (Auto Sunroofs, Inc) sells Solaire (by Webasto) and ASCs. He said that he had installed a bunch of them in Foci and would put either in for me. I asked him which one he would put in his own car and his answer was that he had put in the Solaire in his car and thought it was a better product, although both carry a lifetime (original owner) warranty. One concern that I had was the bump down in headroom with the inbuilt one, but since the Focus is so tall inside, the 1" or so loss in headroom wasn't very noticeable at all. I still have the seat cranked almost all the way up, and I like to sit up straight when driving! The roof works like a dream and looks exactly like a factory piece (Webasto sells most of their roofs to the auto makers for OEM installation). I never realized how delightful all the extra light inside the car is - roof closed, but the sunscreen open. Driving with the roof open is wonderful (Could be that I'm 45 and doing some sort of midlife crisis thing, but I've always wanted one and now I finally have one) In hindsight, I should have had a sunroof on my very first car - I never knew what I was missing! One more sunroof thing - get autoclose, its already saved me a bunch of times from having a wet car after a surprise rain shower.

For the record, I've got an Autumn Orange 2000 with a 5 speed, and every option except smokers package. Had to order it and it took forever (about 13 weeks). Whole thing ran just over $14,000 w/o sunroof. The roof cost an extra grand. I've never enjoyed a car this much and am extremely pleased.

BUT . . . here's my punchlist.

1. The steering wheel is just the smallest bit off center. Took it to the dealer and they aligned the thing. Now it's the same amount off center the other way. I'll let them try again.

2. The Ford oval on the steering wheel was cracked when it was delivered, so the dealer ordered a new one. Two weeks to get it.

3. The driver's seat creaks annoyingly from the left hand hinge on the seat back. Dealer thought I was hallucinating until they drove it and it made them crazy too. They ordered parts. Two weeks again to get the parts. I'll take it in soon to get the oval and seat parts put in.

That's it. Everything else works fine. Got about 4000 miles on it, changed to Mobil 1 at the first oil change (3000 miles) and get about 30 mpg in about 50/50 city/highway. Gives me a charge to drive and gives me my exercise getting the brake dust off the front wheels! Every time I get behind the wheel, a grin spreads from ear to ear, and my day gets brighter and brighter. It just don't get no better than this!
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    I killed the Civic v. Focus topic because while I was at edmundsLIVE in Chicago, the mice were playing big time! :-) After I calculated the scribbles needed, the topic would have looked like Swiss Cheese!

Yes, let's share opinions about cars (not people) and let's remember that no one drives the best car or the worst car on the face of the earth and that there is no need to defend one's ride to the death. The right car for you is the right car for YOU. Thanks for being such a fun group.

carlady/host
    I drive the best one 'cause it's mine.
    Please don't scribble this one. ;)

Splash Guards.
    You can get them at:

http://www.icollection.com/stores/default.asp

in the store directory go to accesories,
    then 2000 models...
    Looks like only the front ones are available for the ZX3. The sedans and wagons get the rear ones too.
    Wanna make your car even more special?

http://www.streetracing.org/article/products/wheels/fusel/
    i dont recall anyone complaining about the way
    americans drove during the big one.you can be-
    lieve what you want + say what you want, thank
    the u.s.for fighting and dying for that right.
    gabe, thanks for the factory radio link.
    zx3beast,
    okay, you're the first one.

BTW the U.S. rocks
    God Bless America
    im the first one what?
    I've been debating getting one for a few months. The guy at the local shop also suggested the Solaire roofs, and I've heard this before. He gave me a few model 3s, some of which aren't on the site.

I think I've decided to go with a spoiler type roof. There a little less expensive than the retract-inside-the-roof kind. Here's the kicker. There knockig 20% off of everything in August because it's between model years (I know he's not yanking my chain here, 'cause I talked to him a month ago, and this wasn't the case [he didn't know it was me]).

So, my options with prices:

Inside the roof - $1295 ($1035 w/ discount)

Spoiler w/ cloth slide - $895 ($715)

Spoiler w/o cloth slide - $795 ($635)

I'm tempted to go with the last option for obvious reasons. My question is this...What are the advantages of having the inside slide cover. I don't have leather, so that's not a consideration. I guess cloth fade might be a worry, but it is tinted, and I do live in Seattle.

So, what's the story with the cloth slide thingy?
    I am shamed. (Especially since I edit for a living...eek.)
    I meant to post the URL for solaire. Here ya go:

http://www.webasto.com/
    ...the first one to get offended.

and what is the big one?
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Good Gosh, couldn't believe what happened Sunday evening. Water on floor. First time with over 15,000 miles. Think it might have been my fault. I always close vent (reciraliate) when washing car, and this time I didn't. Will have to wait to next rain storm to know for sure. Still drying, even after taking wet vac to it.

Somebody tell me. Do automobile manual transmissions have clutch brakes. On a heavy truck, to get the gears to stop spinning, you have to depress the clutch all the way to the floor which engages the clutch brake. If your having trouble engaging reverse, try that. If that doesn't work, put her back into neutral, let out the clutch, then push the clutch in at try it again.

Oh, Drebe73. Thanks for the radio link!

Pat
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Still loving getting into the ZX3 and driving her. Think this is the longest love affair I've ever had with any automobile, especally a reasonably priced one.

And yes, we yankees are lousy drivers. Almost as bad as Okanawans. Also have driven in Thailand, Germany (east and west), Austria and of course Canada. Now the Canadians, well, I wouldn't go to that one. Let's face it, drive like they drive where ever you are,

Pat
This discussion has been closed.