Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus ZX3

Comments

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I liked mine too, until everything started breaking. Recalls, warped rotors, failed fuel pump, leaking A/C condensor... what have I left off? Hope you have better luck with yours. It is a great design let down by low quality parts - Ford cut too many corners IMO.
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Silver_bullet, all those things happened to me except the A/C problem.
  • hauschildhauschild Member Posts: 62
    7000 miles...27 city, 34 highway....as usual, no problems.
  • missycan1missycan1 Member Posts: 7
    I've owned a 1990 Ford Taurus for years...didn't want to throw the $1500. for repairs needed to be done on a car that age.
    Took out a 2000 focus hatchback...I was pleasantly surprised by the styling.

I live in Canada..we get snow. How does it handle in snow?

I've got till Friday to make up my mind about this wee 'Red Rocket'.

First time I've been on this board...but I've been all over the site. It's Brilliant!
    Unless you have thoroughly investigated the maintenance history of this particular car and are satisfied that all recalls and repairs have been completed, I'd advise against it. I think Ford released a half-baked product to the public, and has been scrambling to fix it ever since. I am glad I sold my 2000 ZX3... caveat emptor.
    I would definitely recommend the ZX3 for your next purchase, because nothing else for the price comes close; not even remotely close.

However, since Ford is still offering 1500 dollar rebates or 0 percent financing, I think I would look into purchasing a 2002 model, just in case all these horror stories I've been hearing about 2000/2001 models are true. I would also recommend a manual transmission, because it would improve winter handling, and provide better fuel economy.

I've had absolutely no problems with mine, and probably won't.

Good luck!
    Thanks for answering Silver & Hauschild.

I'm interested in the 2000 model b/c it's about $5,000. cheaper than new.
    The dearlership has all the recall repair records that have been performed on this car.
    I also have the remaining 1.5 yrs. of warranty on it with an option for extended warranty when the original expires.

Knowing this info...and having these problems looked after ..do you think it's wise of me to go ahead and sign the deal?
    Thankyou
    Have you really found that the 2000 would be $5K cheaper than a 2002 model with all the rebates and incentives taken into account? Remember, dealers usually make very little on new car sales, but the used car side of a dealership is very profitable - in other words, they "stole" that 2000 ZX3 from someone, and they are likely going to make a handsome profit when you buy it. It sounds like you already have your mind made up, so get the best car you can afford - and I'd definitely recommend going for an extended warranty... make them include it in the deal at no additional cost.
    Thanks again Silver.

I really don't have my mind made up yet...I'm quite confused.
    When I took it for a test drive, that's all I wanted to do...but b/f I knew it, the salesman had me perched in his office...but I didn't sign anything.
    I'm in Canada, so of course our pricing is different, but he said the deal could be accepted as $15000. that is everything included meaning taxes also.

Sorry to be a pain, but this is my first time at a dealership on my own. I read & followed all the tips I could see about used & new purchases. I'm very much willing to listen to ANY advice you can give me.
    Thankyou.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Welcome to the Hatchback's board! In addition to the feedback here, you may also find this Edmunds' article helpful: Negotiating for a Used Car. This is actually Part 5 of 6 short articles on How to Buy a Used Car. If you have time, I recommend reading all 6 sections... and/or check out some of the other articles in our Buying section. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    missycan1, I'd take the time to read Edmund's tips. It sounds like your salesman smells "blood" - don't let him take charge of the negotiations. Remember: YOU have the money, and there are lots of cars out there. Don't be in a hurry, and don't let yourself fall in love with a particular car too quickly ;-) Do some research to see what comparable cars are selling for in your area - used ZX3's are very cheap here in TX, but most of them are trashed by kids. Canada is probably a very different market. Also remember that you aren't at the dealership to make friends - it is a business transaction, pure and simple. Ignore all the whining and cajoling, and don't be afraid to make a very low offer once you decide you want the car. If they say no, just get up and walk - and watch how fast their "final price" comes down!
  • rookie34rookie34 Member Posts: 13
    Well, after a month of research and test driving, I have bolted from the Ford ZX3 ranks and now drive a Pontiac Vibe. Yes, I know it is more expensive but I believe the quality will be 100% better. As many of you have already stated, the ZX3 is a great driving car (when all the parts are working) for a very low price. I don't mind pinching my pennies for the next several months to pay for my new Vibe. I wish everyone on this board the best of luck with their ZX3s. I will be lurking around every so often to read future posts and keep up with the neverending saga of the ZX3.
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    This is a great site that will walk you through each step of the car buying process, with attention to all the tricks the salesman uses to get that money out of your purse.

Bullet is right, it is a business transaction, try to ignor the emotional part of the deal. It is your money, do not waste it.

I am in the market for a new auto, possibly, and had to laugh at all the tricks the salesmen were trying. ( If he touched my shoulder one more time I was going to pop him one) The web site taught me what to expect and how to deal with each 'ploy'.

Bottom line, the salesman wants as much of your money as you are willing to give up. Nothing personal, just business.

http://www.beatthecarsalesman.com/resources.html

How's it going?
    I'm nearing the end of my three years with my ZX3. Need to make some decisions. Buy new, extend the maintence contract, or buy used or get roof racks.
    How is the reliability factor with the ZX3 or 5 for that matter these days?? Any more fires ??

Tested a Honda CR-V and a Forester today. Very nice car that Forester. But was put off by both as the ZX3 has better cargo space due to the flat laying seats.
    Plus, they are expensive. Was offered MSRP on the Honda,Ha!, and $100.00 over invoice for the Forester, Hummmmm. $21000.
    Will test a Hyundai GT and a Vibe tomorrow. Did not hear good things about the Vibe engine, but the seats are armored on the back and lay flat all the way to the glove box. ( Any feedback Rookie34?) The 'Town Hall' board for the Hyundai GT reminds me of us a few years ago, all excitement.

Thinking of buying a recumbent bike and they need a long space. Don't like roof racks. Too much lifting.
    Sat in a PT Cruiser today and it looked cheap inside plus the new 'Dream' edition looks like a pimp mobile, all gold. Yuk!

So many cars, so little money.
  • rookie34rookie34 Member Posts: 13
    Well, I need to quantify this answer for you regarding the Vibe engine - I have only put on roughly 100 miles so far so I don't have much experience yet. What I have found, when I compare it to the ZX3, is that the Vibe is not as strong powering up through gears 1 through 4. However, when you get it into 5 it is real easy to be doing 80+ before you know it! I am not a "eat my dust" type of driver, so massive acceleration from a dead stop is not that important to me. I assume the Vibe is slower to get up to speed than the ZX3 because it is heavier. Again, I'm shooting for reliability here, not a starring role in the "The Fast and The Furious". As far as the cargo room - yes, the back seats fold all the way down and the passenger seat can fold forward to allow you to carry items up to 8 feet long (that's coming from the promotional brochure - I haven't measured it myself). The cargo floor is hard plastic, great for toting messy things (easy to clean up) - but items slide real easy on this surface - have to strap them down. As I get more miles on the car, I will have a feel for its good points and bad points. Hope this helps you out.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I took the Ford Focus ZX3 out for a better, longer test drive yesterday...I'm even more attracted to it than b/f!
    The salesman was getting a bit pushy for me to sign, but I left.

In Canadian funds I've offered $15000. (tx incl.) which is $9545. American. They've accepted.

The existing warrantee runs for a year. There is a 'Premium Care 500' warrantee for 7 yrs. costing $1035. Canadian...should I try to get them to give me that warrantee as part of the deal or is that pushing it too far?
    You never said how many miles the car has on it, Or what if any add ons. They all affect value.

Go to this page in Edmunds and you can see the average price for a used ZX3 is $8338.US

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/ford/focus/2drzx3hatchback/prices.html

If they add the warranty for free then you are getting a fair deal.

Otherwise I would walk away as you are paying a $1000.00 too much.
    As you can see, on average, they are making $2000.US already and most likely, much more.

The best advice I saw was for you to get a new Focus. It seems they worked out the kinks after 2000, I don't see any recalls for them in 2002.

The ZX5 is a real deal, comes with more standard stuff and has good reviews. 60 months at 0% is a great deal.

But, you can only afford what you can afford, so good luck.
    In the event I decide to keep my ZX3, is there any roof racks out there that fit well? For my bike.
    Thanks fgaydos...there is 14000 kilometers, which is about 8000 miles. It's been sitting at the dealership since Oct/01.

I phoned into talk to my Salesman and told him that I want them to pick up the tab for a new warrantee when this one expires.

It's not looking good for me...too many hours have passed.
    Missy,

Can I be blunt and just tell you NOT to purchase that used ZX3? Although the low mileage may make it seem attractive, I think you should do some math on your monthly payments; new vs. used.

I paid 12,300 American for my 2002 ZX3, roughly 3 grand more than what your used Z will cost you, but that was with a 1500 dollar rebate. Obviously it is going to cost you more money to buy new, but you also have the peace of mind of knowing you were the only driver of the automobile, you have a full 3-year warranty, AND you're getting a model year that I believe has all the kinks worked out of it, and you get to choose the options you would like on the vehicle. To me, that's three grand well spent, but alas I don't have to make your monthly payments.

Another option is to simply hold out for a period of time to save some extra money for a down payment on a new Z.

Either way, you're going to be getting a sweet vehicle for the money!
  • swdzx3swdzx3 Member Posts: 7
    Check my message #2151. This rack was designed specifically for the ZX3, but should also fit the ZX5.I would recommend selling the ZX3 however. At 33k my fuel pump failed. Ford replaced it under warranty but who knows how long before the new one fails? Then last week (35.5k) the ignition key cylinder broke.What's next?
    Thanks for the feedback Swdzx3.
    Sorry you had a problem.
    I have been looking around pretty hard.
    I'm very attracted to the 03 Forester but not to it's price.The Vibe and Matrix look like losers with the odd engine set up, plus, they are not cheap.The Pro5 is OK but on the small side.Sigh.
    Was offered $100.00 over invoice for the Forester. Need to research more.
    Missycan - I know there are several folks posting on this board who drive problem-free ZX3s, but I have to weigh in with the "don't buy it!" crowd. I have no idea what your market is like, but my gut tells me you are getting ripped on the pricing of that 2000 model. If a Focus is your "must have" car, I'd definitely try several dealers until I found one who could do a deal on a 2002. Unless you have access to a second backup vehicle, or can afford to spend time sitting in the service dept. waiting for your car to be repaired (again), I'd pass.

fgaydos - I'm doing pretty good, now that the Ford is gone ;-) Seriously, I'd consider the Pro5 if possible. I demoed one extensively and was pretty impressed. It won't carry as much as the ZX3, but it is light years ahead of the Focus as far as assembly quality and materials are concerned.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    we must not have looked at the same Pro5's. The build quality was fine, just like the Focus ZX5's I looked at. And the interior was full of cheap plastics and cheap design...just like the Focus ZX5's I looked at. I believe that the Pro5 will probably be more reliable over the long haul, but in build quality and interior quality/materials, they're both about the same. In fact one of the few things I didn't like about the Pro5's interior is that it reminded me of about a 10-15 year old Accord or Camry inside with cheap plastic "flair" to spruce it up.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the ZX5 or Pro5. I prefer them both to the Vibe/Matrix.*

* your mileage may vary.
    The Pro5 is no Benz, that's for sure. I guess my impression was based more on an intangible "feel" that the Mazda was nicer. As I think back, I do recall being less than impressed with the somewhat cheezy silver door pulls and some of the switches and minor details. You are right - the current ZX3/5 isn't that much worse than the Pro5, if at all.
    For the feedback folks.

Also test drove the Honda Cr-V. My misfortune to get a novice/ slick salesman. Thankfully, I had read all the info at edmunds, Consumers Reports and the best at :

http://www.beatthecarsalesman.com/quotes.html

Had a phone call from dealer tonight, "We have a great surprise for you, call tonight"!! Sigh.

The Honda was Ok, had the best resale value but felt tippy and rear seat was a sore thumb in the way. Only offered to me MSRP and way low on my trade in.(ZX3)

Was going to test the Hyundai GT but neighbors are horrified..:>)

The PT felt cramped compare to the Zx3.

The Pro 5 seating also felt lower than the Zx3. Radio was junk.

Local dealer had one ZX5 left, a red. But, I would never hear the end of it from family and co-workers if I bought it. Is that understandable?

The Forester is a really nice car and loaded,

very safe, terrible mileage. Just wondering for that money ($21,000.)could I do better?

I still wouldn't overlook the Elantra GT. It's going to depend on what you prefer in a car, but it is a great value.

What about a VW Golf or Subaru Impreza?
    Thanks hauschild, fgaydos and silver.

I told my ZX3 salesman on Saturday I wanted them to pay a 7 yr. warrantee included in the $15000. for the '2000'. He phoned back yesterday..said his manager said no. I thanked him..the deal is dead. I thought of phoning another salesman I sorta know at another Ford dealership today & see if he can swing the same deal for me there. That's where my old 90 taurus is sitting since 2 wks ago.
    Or I may just ask him instead what prices I'm looking at for a '2002'...like you suggested silver.
    Well, I guess that is good. You can read the primers we suggested and start over more empowered with knowledge.

Do not be surprised if they call you back again with yet another counter offer. Sometimes you gotta drive a stake into their hearts if they have one.

I STILL have a guy calling me three days post test drive, saying, "I have some wonderful news! Call me!" Give me a break.

Some very good sites to research are;

Edmunds of course.

MSN Carpoint Reviews and prices etc.

http://carpoint.msn.com/homepage/default.asp

Popular Mechanics Magazine, Reviews

http://www.popularmechanics.com/

American Auto Assn.

http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/default.asp

The AAA site is also great to purchase an extended warranty. You can compare different makes of autos to see how reliable they are by how expensive the same coverage is. Just imput the same milage.

Consumers Reports, Paid site

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/home.jsp

They will prepare a 12 page report with best price to pay taking kickbacks and holdback into consideration. Will pay for itself.

Good luck.

• konafocuskonafocus Member Posts: 28
    Hello fellow focus drivers, been a while since I posted a message, everything has been good so far, until the break issue came up. My question is that when I press on my brakes with alot of pressure, I hear this grinding sound. The brakes work fine except for this noise. I am going to take the car into the dealer, it is a 2000 zx3 with 21000 miles on it. The sound only occurs when the brakes are hot, and at times they dont make a sound.. They work fine, I get good stopping distance, but it is the noise, it only sounds inside, wierd I am telling you guys. Wasnt there a NHTSA service number to have the brakes serviced free of charge. The last thing I want is the dealer to say it is normal wear and tear, give me a break, wear and tear with only 21000 miles only.

Any help would be appreciated in advance!
  • trevatreva Member Posts: 39
    Good to see some of us still have our 2000 zx3's !
    Are you sure it's not just your brake-pads wearing out ? They're going to make a grinding noise when the pad wears out, and then you're pushing metal-to-metal instead of pad-to-metal. At the last service (21k, I'm now at 22.5k) for my 2000 auto, I was told my pads were down to 3mm or so. So I wouldn't be surprised if your pads are worn out. As for being too soon to change pads, well we gotta slow our speeding babies somehow !, and the stock pads that come with the zx3 are very soft; they stop well, they dust well (!), and they run out well.

treva
  • sacfocus1sacfocus1 Member Posts: 8
    Regarding brake wear, I had front pads replaced at 25k mi. down to 1mm. thickness, rotors turned too. You might check back in the postings , I think Silver Bullet had after market pads and rotors that he said caused less dust and longer wear. My dealer said they saw some foci's with 17k mi. in for brakes.
    When I had my car, I switched to EBC performance rotors and Green Stuff pads at 9K miles to minimize brake dust, and because my stock rotors had already warped! IMO, anyone with 20K - 25K miles on the stock brakes should expect them to be shot. Don't go to Ford expecting a freebie on wear items like brakes. OEM brakes and shocks don't last long in my experience - at 30K miles, the original shocks are just about dead on most low-cost cars like the Focus.
    ACtually I threw such a fit last time that I got free pads.
    Are you people kidding me? New pads and/or brakes at 25000 miles? My 3 is the fifth new vehicle I've purchased, all of which I had never replaced anything brake related. And, that includes a Ranger that had around 125000 miles when I dumped it.

I think you all maybe need to go back thru drivers ed and learn how to brake much more efficiently. You all must be absolutely hammering your brakes?!?!?

I'll never cease to be amazed at the postings on this site!
    You must live in a traffic-free, flat place.

Because here, the traffic on the freeway constantly goes from 60 to 0...the roads are extremely bumpy, you have to brake hard when a bus suddenly stops to load off passengers, etc. etc.
    Uh, I live in Chicago.

Furthermore, quit tailgating the vehicle in front of you and anticipate stops.

Ya'll are wasting money on things you could be preventing!
    You're oversimplifying it. I don't tailgate, yet traffic regularly slows down at a quick pace.
    Well, it's obvious if you're replacing brakes at 25000 miles, you are doing something wrong. That much I can tell you.
    Rotor warping problems causing them to be replaced is a major quality issue with many American and foreign car makes. My brake rotors had to be replaced at 30K, due to no fault of my own.

Brake quality has deteriorated for various reasons. Shorter replacement cycles are common these days.

Again, there's nothing wrong some of us are doing.
  • alantpoolalantpool Member Posts: 12
    I had a 99 Ranger and had to replace the front brakes and the front rotors at around 45K. Replacement of brakes depends on the driving style, traffic, and the type of tranny (I leased 2 escorts with manuals and never had a brake problems, but I would slow the car by downshifting and letting the tranny slow it down, that would cause less brake wear I suppose).

I just purchased a 2002 ZX3 Premium w/Auto (my wife doesn't drive a stick and with metro traffic I wouldn't even think of driving a manual) out the door for $11,500. No problems yet, but I have noticed a dragging noise coming from the passenger side front area when the window is down, anyothers with similar noises?

al
    I should have mentioned that all my vehicles were equipped with a manual transmission.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A newspaper journalist is looking to speak with Ford Focus owners by Monday, September 16 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern. If you are interested in sharing your thoughts on your vehicle with a national audience, please contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com with your name, daytime contact information, line of work and city/state of residence.
    Regards,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi. This looks like my first ZX3 problem (other than the recalls). Any experience with this one? My rear wiper washer has stopped functioning. I have fluid (I assume it sucks from the same fluid tank as the front washers.)

Thanks for any help.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You may also want to ask (copy/paste) your question your question in our Ford Focus ZX3 problems & Solutions discussion. Good luck in finding a solution.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

• cobiecobie Member Posts: 108
    I've been away from this board for several months and have just recently been reading through back msgs. and came across a question I posted but which was never answered. I now have the answer. The body side mouldings are attached w/ adhesive AND with several "set holes" into the body of the vehicle itself. I always hated the black mouldings so I had mine painted the same colour as the car. Much more cohesive appearance, IMO.
    As for mileage.... at 10,000 miles I still get only 28mpg. I get 28 city and 28 hwy (usually) (although once I did get 31mpg on a long trip). Odd the mileage doesn't change much, eh?
    No mechanical (or other) problems so far, knock wood.
  • cgsangelcgsangel Member Posts: 79
    I've been one of the lucky owners of a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3. It's been awhile since I've posted to this board... I can't remember the last time I visited, it's been that long.

Maybe because I've had no problems to report. Routine maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations, filters and wiper blades). After 35,000 miles and two and a half years of ownership, it's been a nice little car. I imagine it's coming up for its first brake replacement, considering all the brake problems reported. I live in a metro area, but I admit I drive conservatively, usually. On a weekend, I'll take it for a day trip to the mountains just to enjoy the car and get away from bumper to bumper type driving.

Gas mileage is average and typical for this car, but then I go with the flow of traffic. On the open road, that's 65mph or better. I average the 31mpg on the highway, but the mileage drops quite a bit around town.

2000 ZX3 Autumn Orange - Auto, Anti-lock
    Hey! Glad to see you're still around. Good to hear things are going well for you.
  • zx3dynamozx3dynamo Member Posts: 17
    Hi there, just checking in and saying how happy I've been with my 2002 ZX3. Got the car for $10,448 after $2500 rebate so I think I got a great deal on the car itself. I just have a question about the maintenence plan I purchased for $920 (4 year 45,000 mile). Has that plan been worth it for everyone who purchased it? I also have the option of purchasing a 7 year 100,000 mile extended warranty for around $700 from my credit union. that I haven't made my mind up either. Thanks for reading this!

-Rob