Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus ZX3

Comments

• rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Sorry to hear that how much trouble you are having. I have a 2001 and have some issues, but have been pretty lucky so far I guess. As far as Ford service departments, I too have found that they are not only useless but some of them are crooks as well. I would take the car to the best local mechanic you can find....or sell it I guess.
  • zx3lovezx3love Member Posts: 1
    Wow!

I'm thinking about buying this 2000 Focus-with the miles on it this high do you think I'm asking for trouble?

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1077496&adid=5762566link title
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I'm thinking about buying this 2000 Focus-with the miles on it this high do you think I'm asking for trouble?

Well, let's see, its a 6 year old Focus with 154k miles on it and they want over $3k for it. Probably way too much money considering the miles.

I had an 04 Focus ZX3 that I bought new for $11k (US) and drove for 2 years/54k miles trouble free. I loved the car, only sold it because I didn't need it anymore.

I think you can find a MUCH better Focus with less miles on it for that kind of $$$. Even though the Focus can be a great car, MY2000 wasn't a stellar year and the miles on that car are up there. I'd pass if I were you. The Focus got good around MY2004-2005 and up.
  • ukbbukbb Member Posts: 11
    According to the picture that's an SVT, not a ZX3. May be a mistake on the sellers part using stock photos instead of actual.
  • ukbbukbb Member Posts: 11
    The pictures of the interior show an automatic transmission which rules out an SVT. I would be real leery of them using a false picture of the exterior and would have a good look at it in person.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    Gauge problem. Did you ever find out what caused the gauges pegging and returning to zero problem ?
  • littleonelittleone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 zx3 and recently i have had the fuel filter, intake valve, exhaust hose,and timing belt and tenionser replaced! my car is still having problems and i was wondering if anyone could please help. My car is jumping it feels like. If i push too hard on my gas pedal it starts jumping and my speedometer jumps and my radio will either get really loud or just shut off all together. I am just wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this or has any ideas to what it might be if so let me know!
  • egutinegutin Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I used to read these boards back in 2000 when I decided to buy my ZX3 - the advice was priceless.

I am now at 128K miles, and still going strong. Ive had a few repairs along the way, but nothing that convinced me to look elsewhere. Knock-on-wood a lot of the non-recall issues affecting this first MY have not affected me.

I am having two weird things going on which may or may not be related:

1 - In higher gears I have to depress the gas more than usual in order for anything to happen (higher RMPs, more power). It makes it hard to maintain a regular speed. There is a slight jump when the gas kicks in.

2 - Sometimes when sitting at a stop sign or red light after downshifting to neutral the engine races up to 3K before settling down to a normal idle.

Any ideas? Any questions?

Thanks in advance

- E
  • slinkzx3slinkzx3 Member Posts: 6
    sounds like your throttle body is sticky. you might try taking the intake of the TB and giving it a quick visual check and jiggling the throttle. there is supposed to be lubricant in the TB. after 128K miles though it may be all gone. WD-40 is probably not the solution here, but you could try some on the outside spring and stuff. to be sure you could run the engine and rev it with the open TB and see if any sticking corresponds with what you're experiencing, just make sure to keep it clear of debris. the throttle line could be catching somewhere too.
  • slinkzx3slinkzx3 Member Posts: 6
    just to clarify: don't put lube in your TB. don't risk gunking up your engine or making the problem worse. you should consult your dealership or a technician on what lubricant to use and how to apply it.

good luck fixing whatevers wrong
  • fpannofpanno Member Posts: 8
    Need help on two issues:

#1: Is it true that the ZX3 Air filter does not need to be changed until 100K?

#2: I would like to change it with a K & N now...How do I get to the Air Filter to change it? :confuse:
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi all. It looks lile I'll be needed new tires soon on my 2001 ZX3. The tires that came with the car are P205/50/R16's. I think the car handles really nice with these tires, so I'm hoping to replace them with something similar (as long as they don't cost too much). Any recommendations for replacements would be most appreciated. Thanks.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    There are not many choices in this Size. However, they would certainly be available from major Distributors like Tire Rack. This is what I did: After about 2 winter seasons on my Pirelli P6's which were standard issue on my ZTS, I ordered (4)Dunlop snow tires with Rims from Tire Rack. They will recommend for the Winter season that you convert to a 195-60x15. This is an intelligent thing to do as real winter tires are better a little bit narrower. They are better also for the pot holed streets in the winter (more sidewall before rim gets nicked) . My Original tires were retired in two phases. Last year I bought 2 Kuhmo tires on a close out from Tire Rack at a great price. They seem to be wearing fairly rapidly. :cry: I replaced the final 2 just last month again from "TR" These were BFG g-force a few bucks more but still a good price.
    Converting allowed me to get more aggressive performance tires than the "all seasons" supplied by Ford on the car.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    i have a zts, too. mine has 15's with goodyear rsa's.
    they will need to be replaced before next winter.
    i like the gas mileage i am getting. they can be somewhat greasy. i don't drive fast on the straightaways, but i don't slow down in the curves.
    how are the bfg's treating you?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    I just got my car back from the dealer after a clutch replacement and it did the same thing. It even died in the middle lane of the expressway! I had to have it towed tonight, with less than 10 miles after the repair.
    Did you get any useful info?
  • kramnosamkramnosam Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2006 Focus 3dr hatchback and it makes a clicking noise when I'm slowing down and a squeeky noise when I start braking.
    Any idea what this might be, as CARMAX relined the brakes and replaced a bent tire rim?
    Thank you for any information that you can give to me regarding this.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Don't know if you bought tires yet, but I put BF Goodrich TA Tractions on my 2002 ZX3 in size 205 50 16. They grip great-even in the snow. You can also try Falkens. I believe they come in 205 50 16 also.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    It is interesting (coincidental) that this should come up again. When I changed to my summer tires a few months ago I followed TIRE RACKS' recommendation placing the newest set in the back. This did not work out because an irritating tire noise presented it self immediately from the Kuhmo Exta tires which only had about 10,000 miles on them. I reversed them and the NEW BFG G- force went to front. The Noise problem was substantially eliminated in this way.
    As I explained in my last post here, The Kuhmos were extremely inexpensive they give greater grip than the all-season p-6's, but are wearing fast and are definitely noisier. This seems to be especially true at speed on wet roads.
    An independent Tire dealer here mentioned that Focuses, although they are a light car without huge tire spinning power, tend to wear tires down more than one would generally expect. I don't have any explanation for this. Has anybody else experinced less than expected tire life with their Focus?
  • pure_n_jadedpure_n_jaded Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE BEEN READING UP ON THE FOCUS ZX3 AND WAS CONTEMPLATING GETTING A 2005 ZX3. DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS PARTICULAR MODEL? IF SO, ANY OPINIONS ON IT. I AM ONE OF THOSE GIRLS THAT NEVER REALLY HAD TO PICK OUT HER OWN CAR BEFORE, DONT REALLY HAVE ANY IDEA ON WHAT TO LOOK FOR, MY DAD ALWAYS ASKED THE QUESTIONS.
  • kabob1kabob1 Member Posts: 1
    Fuzion HR1 - I like em on my 03 Zx3! Quiet! Replaced the factory Firestones(205/50/16) with same sized Fuzions at 37K. The fuzions are MUCH quieter and maybe a bit softer ride... HAve had very good luck with my Zx3 - No problems! Front brake pads and a tail light bulb only! (yea, theyre known to eat front pads so change em b4 ya have scrape up disks with a good after market pad)
    Great little town run around - would buy again!
    Could get better milage, have never got better than 32, ususlly ~25 city. But very comfortable, positive to drive - Extremely Tight - 40K+ and it still doesnt have a rattle or creak in it!
  • bolanga84bolanga84 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Im trying to get the stock radio out, but cannot. I'm afraid of breaking it, but can anybody help me with some instructions? thanks

By the way, can you hook up a system to the stock radio? :confuse:
  • strotter18strotter18 Member Posts: 2
    My key won't turn and the steering wheel seems locked. I can't take it out of gear. I bought the car from a friend. the steering casing or what ever you call it was replaced about six months ago. Any help???? thanks
  • kps07kps07 Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem on my 2000 as well. You may need to replace the key tumbler and/or possibly have a new key cut. I replaced the tumbler in mine, and never had another problem with it.
  • strotter18strotter18 Member Posts: 2
    I called a ford dealer today. They said it would cost me around $350.00 . $140.00 for the part. And $210.00 for labor. I read on here if you tap the key tumbler then turn your key it will work. It did. I guess what I'm asking is is $350.00 to much? My key has a chip in it. Can I do this myself. I'm lost when it comes to working on cars thanks
  • allanaallana Member Posts: 1
    Okay i bought a ford focus ZX3 bout a year ago and it came with a set of ICW Racing rims and i need new ones and i've alwayz had my uncle rotate them, so im not sure what tool i need to take the tires off with, there not equipt with a key. any suggestions? thanks LaNa
  • pidelpidel Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced Alot of problems with their Focus ZX3
    I have a 2006, and had only a year, and it's been in the shop more than driven. I think it's just this paticular car, due to the fact no one else has the issues that I have had.

thanks
    Phyllis
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Has anyone experienced Alot of problems with their Focus ZX3

I had an 04 ZX3 for two years and put 54k miles on it with no issues. Great little car. Sorry to hear about your problems.
  • mlgardmlgard Member Posts: 5
    Dear Phyllis,
    Yes. A lot, with my ZX3 '00 i bought new from the dealer. The first two years were the worst as I spent much time in dealer waiting areas. So many problems, recalls and non-recalls, that I'm considering not buying another Ford. It sits at the dealer as I type this for a broken motor mount bolt. Luckily i was parking when the engine dropped. Oh yeah, there's a recall on motor mounts in some models, but I already replaced the passenger side mount on mine.
    I think the problem that bothered me the most is the poor paint quality and the three times I've taken it back to repaint the hood. Sorry for the late post.
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    I'm going to chime with my experiences on my 01 Focus ZX3. I'd have to say, my 7 year relationship with my Focus has been love/hate. I love to drive it and whip around town in it. Handles unbelievably well and is peppy enough. Gas mileage is so-so 26 to 30mpg. I now have 117k miles and here is my list of problem since I bought the car in no particular order:

1. replaced rack and pinion
    2. replaced CV joint because of leaking boot
    3. replaced radio
    4. replaced clutch (yep, under warranty)
    5. replaced clutch spring
    6. replaced two alternators
    7. replaced DPFE sensor (3 times)
    8. replaced thermostat after overheating
    9. replaced a/c compressor
    10. replaced a/c switch
    11. replaced transmission seal
    12. replaced rusted out manifold shield
    13. performed 5 recall services
    14. two valve cover gaskets
    15. replaced thermostat housing
    16. replaced collapsed suspension spring
    17. replaced front brake calipers
    18. replaced Front sway bar end links (4 times)

As I type the timing belt and water pump are being replaced (but this is actually scheduled maintenance).

That is, in my opinion, a large amount of failed and replaced items. To add insult to injury, I've had to fight Ford tooth and nail on just about every problem. It's no wonder why they are sinking faster than the Titanic. Their new products are consistently rated very low in quality and often in performance.

Aw well... my first and last American car.
  • rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    ...has had the battery die after 4 years.

That is it. So far, so good.

And yes, it handles like it's on a hot rail to hell!
  • tjystjys Member Posts: 3
    I paid $9403 for a brand new yellow 2003 ZX3 in March 2004 because no one wanted it. I had a Mustang and was looking for a daily driver. Boy did I hit the jackpot! This car has been absolutely wonderful to the extent that I'm looking at buying an additional 2008 Focus for my wife to drive. I've had zero problems with the 2003 but I follow all the federal maintenance schedules and use synthetic oil. I am disappointed that a Focus hatchback isn't offered this year. I've been looking around for new 2007 ZX3's but the price is still high ... and all of them are loaded. All I want is automatic, AC, and cruise. :shades: :shades:
    Has anyone used H&R or Eibach springs to lower their Focus? Is it easy to do? What problems if any were encountered?
  • breisterbreister Member Posts: 5
    With my2003 FF ZX3 I had occasionally a problem with starting. When that happened I would take the key out and start again and then it worked. This car got totaled 2 weeks ago on a very icy road but I was lucky enough to find a 2005FF ZX3 and this one has the same problem with starting but worse :cry: . I hsve this car 10 days and it has refused to start several times already (13.000 miles on it). Is this a problem inherent to this type of car. Do I do anything wrong? The manual is useless.
  • rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    Sorry 2 hear about your problem. I've got an 03 ZTW that has NEVER failed to start. Always first time, every time. You don't apply throttle when you start, do you?
  • breisterbreister Member Posts: 5
    I hold the clutch and the brake pedals down.
  • tkleetklee Member Posts: 1
    :sick: i have a 2003 zx3 with the weirdest heater problem. when it is warmed up with the temp gague needle pointing straight up, i turned on the defroster the first time and the floor and vents the second time, and i could actually watch the needle droptill it was just above the cold mark and the heat "ran out" and started blowing almost cold air, but far from warm. the car hasnt been drove much this winter due to BOTH of the outer door handles being broke. good thing the gilfriend took care of the hatch wih the top of the garage door frame. yes she tried to back out of the garage with the hatch open. so know it wont latch without the use of the ratchet strap. almost forgot to mention the windshield wipers broke. the ball joint actually poped apart. built ford tough my [non-permissible content removed]
  • rincon1840rincon1840 Member Posts: 7
    124,000 miles. I'm pretty sure I got a good one.

Problems:
    A/C resistor blown (warranty)
    Recalls (two visits, great service)
    Head gasket (warranty)
    Passenger side rear-seat access lever (twice!)
    Windshield seal separation, bottom by wipers (warranty)
    Uncomfortable seats!
    Broken mount for hood latch (interior). I shove it under the dash.

Good:
    Brakes changed at 74,000
    Gas mileage still between 27-30mpg
    I bought this cause it was cheap (13,000) and it reminded me of the European cars I drove (I was in Germany for 5 years and drove an Audi and Ford Mondeo alot).

It broke a spring and is in the shop as I type. SVT suspensions are a surplus right now, so I picked one up for $295 plus new strut bearings ($70) and $300 labor. I'm just waiting for the exhaust to fall off and the clutch to blow. Otherwise, I'm pretty damn happy with this thing. It's a great looking car, really. I'm so glad I don't have one of the new flat-dash models. And I think someone is on acid at Ford. There's a new 2008 ZX4 (or whatever they're called now) across the street and is sits super high and the styling is taking a baaaad turn. We have a 2005 Freestyle and I love that it's controls are almost identical to my Focus. It's a good car too, but it's only an 18mpg car and I'm waiting for that CVT to explode...after warranty....
    Has anyone done business with Northcoast Performance? They have Roush lowering springs and a SVT damper kit that I would like to install on my 2003 ZX3. The prices seem reasonable but I, nor anyone I do business with, have not heard fo them. I've tried to call them but all I get is a busy signal until after thier business hours. I've left messages but I get no return calls. I get the impression they aren't concerned with my patronage and that speaks volumes to me about their customer service and quality of parts. Help please.
  • yellowsvtyellowsvt Member Posts: 1
    im going to turbo my focus with a 70mm turbo and i was wondering how big injectors to go with and also im looking for any turbo parts for a focus or other motor parts
  • razz44razz44 Member Posts: 7
    I am having problems with the idle speed does anyone have any ideas of what to do to fix it i had the test done all it said was lean bank one
  • artcre8rartcre8r Member Posts: 2
  • mrsweaver126mrsweaver126 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 ZX3.
    Apparently, there is this LITTLE BITTY wire that runs to one of my battery terminals. It has come loose 2 times now, and when it does, it kills my car. It won't start. But the lights and air and radio and eveyrthing turn on. The car just doesn't actually start.

WTF is this little wire???? Why is it there??? What can I do to keep it from coming loose and keeping my car from starting?

I probably sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about, because I really don't. I just know this wire is what is making my car act stupid. Please help!
  • mrsweaver126mrsweaver126 Member Posts: 2
    Lots.

1. Replaced the starter (Try not to do this yourself. According to my husband and the mobile mechanic he had to call to help, Ford Focuses have THE hardest starters to replace of any car ever.)

2. Replaced the battery.

3. Had 3 new keys made. (Just stopped working one day.)

4. The thing that pops the hood, FELL out of the dash, and now gets stuck under the brake at the most inoportune times.

5. Randomly the E brake light comes on, even though I NEVER put the E brake on.

6. Back windshield wiper comes on by itself.

7. Headlights won't work all the time unless they are on bright.

I think my car is possessed.... or just a POS.
  • artcre8rartcre8r Member Posts: 2
    My car is in the body shop with damage to the left front drivers side to the tune of $2800.00. Do you feel I should take it to a mechanic after it is done at the shop ? Does anyone know of a mechanic in Los Angeles or surrounding areas that you really trust ? The car only has 52,000 miles on it and I bought it four months ago.

Also sometimes when I depress the clutch to start it nothing happens, so I let it out and depress it again. Any idea what this may be.

Thank you.
  • papawaltpapawalt Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased an 03, ZX3. so far seems to run and drive well, fun actually. Has 110,000k. very clean, what should i expect as far as reliability? Car fax says oil has been changed every 3k since new. all service has been done since new. rear door latch not working from dash, key does not fit, opens only with fob. Drivers door does not lock with fob. Wind noise through drivers door. So far happy with car. bought for $4800. :)
  • jermalu23jermalu23 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, i have a standard 5spd 2001 zx3, 2.0 zetec engine, dohc that hits 3000rpms @ 70mph. Apparently, i've been running it that way since i got it but never affected the vehicles performance til 8months later. Now, once it hits 3000rpms, the engine would kind of shut down but not fully. It feels like it automatically made a sudden stop @ 70-75mph(if u know what i'm talking about). Then the Multi-symptom warning light would come on, just until u slow it down below 3000rpms, then it'll go away. Now, i've been driving it under 66mph just to be safe. It doesn't overheat. However, the temp guage is almost @ mid point. I did replace the thermostat housing cuz it was leaking & the thermostat, but it started leaking again. Even before & after, with the coolant @ its normal with no leak for a month, it had no affect to the heating problem of the engine.
    I have no idea what to do. The ac/heat still works perfectly. Can any relate or could help me with this issue? Much appreciated.
  • bentley162bentley162 Member Posts: 1
    For some time now one of my headlights has been dim. When I asked my regular mechanic about it repeatedly, he would say nothing was wrong when he checked. Now, my headlights are stuck in the bright position, right headlight is bright, left headlight is dim and I cant click them back to normal. Is this an issue just with a fuse or something more ominous?
  • yopollygirlyopollygirl Member Posts: 1
    Ive been trying to troubleshoot a leak with my 2000 ZTS that I can see just under the thermostat housing. Ive replaced both the upper and lower heater hoses that go into the housing along with the thermostat, thermostat gasket/o-ring and the thermostat housing to head gasket/o-ring. Is there a 3rd gasket/o-ring I should check or replace that is associated with the thermostat housing? Do the screws that attach the thermostat housing cover need to have the gasket/sealant applied to them and/or do they need to be torked down? Do you use the blue silicone that is flexible that could possibly flake off into the thermostat or do u use the Permatex form a gasket? Also there is a hole under the housing that looks like maybe a hose would go on under the housing and to the left of the lower heater hose-what is that for? I also heard about an aluminum plug under the thermostat housing that has an o-ring seal but dont see it. Can anyone please HELP ME :( ID BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL
  • ncalibroncalibro Member Posts: 1
    i am having the same problems you are. but i dont know what little wire you are speaking. please enlighten me, i need to try something to get it started.
  • dvc1492sdvc1492s Member Posts: 13
    What a shame. I would agree with you to go and get a spare key immediately, if the new fords are doing this.

My key broke off in the hatch. Got it out but can't use it to program a new one with the other original. I don't understand why Ford would do such a thing. Having one good key is all you should need to program a new one.

Now a new key cost $25 for the key and $80 to have the dealer program it.
    Jack