Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Integra - (All years/styles)

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I couldn't find any Integras in decent shape for sale, but the early 90s Tegra sure is a fine car.

Dinu
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    I would try to find a manual if I were looking at one with almost 150K and up...Honda autos are just not the greatest in the long term.

Look at the Legend - an equal to the integra for longevity, if not the actual champ. But even though more automatics were sold in that model back then, the ones that are still around today are mostly the manuals, at least among the pre-1990s.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Integra automatics were generally dissed for providing "hard" shifts, but this trait actually makes them more durable because there's less slipping of the clutch packs.

Don't be afraid of any high-mileage Integra. Just be sure to get the tranny checked at a qualified shop before you buy.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Sounds reasonable, but I'd replace the OE radiator with a Fluidyne unit -- better cooling, stronger core, and it's much better made than the factory piece.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&t- - - ype=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=fluidyne&x=15&- - - y=8

Acura: 1994-99 Integra, 38 mm tubes, aluminum, radiator

For the same money, it's a better deal.

I had to replace both my radiator and A/C condensor ($1200 w/labor!)on my '98 GS-R, and made the mistake of going with a factory radiator. My philosphy is to replace whatever breaks with better aftermarket pieces. That's what I did when my factory exhaust manifold cracked - I put in a DC Sports 4-2-1 header. Wheee!
    you're lucky you didn't damage the head!

• bob374bob374 Posts: 6
    My '95 Integra LS 4-door with 77k miles has a braking problem. Pedal slowly sinks to near the floor while braking or holding the car at a light. Obviously a master cylinder, I guess, except the problem is intermittent, happening only when the outside temperature is high and the car is warmed up. Has anyone else had problems like this. Could there be another explanation? I'm taking the car in Thursday to have the master cylinder replaced, because neither the dealer nor I have any other theory.
  • gearhead10gearhead10 Posts: 84
    Those are exactly the problems I experienced in my '91 Integra. Replaced the master cylinder and symptoms are gone.
  • bob374bob374 Posts: 6
    Gearhead10,
    Thanks for the response. I had the master cylinder replaced last week. Symptoms are gone.
  • jcw915jcw915 Posts: 31
    Hey Guys,
    I just bought a 1995 RS with 65000 miles on there for 6200. The only catch was that the car had a salvaged title, and it is now a clean rebuilt title. I was just wondering if anyone on here has carfax?
    Also, were there any known major problems with that year? The car drives fine...
    Thanks for any advices...

~Jerry
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi jcw915- In addition to the feedback here, you may also want to check in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see if there are any recalls and/or technical service bulletins (TSBs) for your vehicle year?

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your Acura Integra ownership experience. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Hi,

It's my first time posting to the forum, but found it very helpful in my quest to find a new car. I had a 1999 Accord EX coming off of lease and refused to pay (overpay!) what they wanted for the car. I considered an RSX (is it me, or is the rear visibility terrible???) and the Celica (cute but I love Hondas).

One afternoon, I saw him: my 1995 Integra RS, silver, 34K miles!, sexy! The next day, I was driving home my new obsession. So far, I have put about 500 miles on the car and other than forcing the dealer to replace the timing belt (which they couldn't prove had ever been done), I've had no problems.

All in all, a great little car, great on gas and very zippy! Now, I want a good keyless/security system on my 'baby'. Any suggestions? I don't want to pay a fortune, but I would absolutely KILL if anyone took him...also, any idea on a good place to get a car cover for him?

-->one hot chic, loving her newly acquired 'Teg!!!
  • lapvnlapvn Posts: 455
    I have a 1993 Integra and with all the rain we are having here in the NE, somewhere or something is blocked that there is water dripping under the dashboard on the passenger side. Actually it only drips while the car is in motion, so this leads me to think that there is an area where water should be draining but it's path is probably clogged, so the water is just getting collected somewhere.

The car is starting to smell like wet moldy clothes, so for now I am leaving the car inside the garage for the next 5 days with the windows open to dry out.

Does anyone know how I can fix the above problem, and or where is the problem?

Post #88 sounds like a similar problem, but no one responded to his post.
    it is not the heater core?

• ss26ss26 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just bought the integra gs 98. I was looking though this newsgroup and it seems like one thing I need to do is get the timing belt replaced. The car has 63K on it. Does the timing belt need to be replaced right away? Anything else I should be worried about? I showed it to one of my friend mechanic and he said the car is in good condition but not sure if he checked the timing belt.
    is due, and it won't be pretty if it breaks...if you take a peek behind the timing cover and the belt looks new, maybe the last owner changed it?

• ...It is worth the money to get the timing belt changed (have the water pump changed too, since the engine will already be torn down at that time).

You will feel better knowing that it is done and you'll have a costly repair if the belt breaks -- yikes!!!
  • jimc93sijimc93si Posts: 34
    from the previous owner showing that the belt and water pump were changed, you need to do those. It is pretty common for people to trade a car in before having to make the big maintenance expenses. The timing belt might last until 100K miles if the car hasn't been abused, but not knowing the history it is an unnecessary risk letting the timing belt go.
     If you know a really good shop with Honda trained technicians you might think about taking it there to save some money, otherwise have a dealership do it. Timing belts and CV joints are the weak knees of front drive cars. The newer Acura RSXs have gone back to the old timing chain.
  • Hey guys, I just recently got a 2001 Integra LS. It seems to be using a lot of oil. I put 5,000 miles on the car (95%+ highway miles) and the guy who changed my oil said that nearly 2/3's of it had been consumed. Is that typical of this particular engine? I haven't noticed any oil leaks, so I don't think that is an issue. I'm not driving the car that hard either, so I really can't explain the problem. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Thanks.
    uses a quart every 1500 miles, which is not far out of line with what I have come to expect over the years for old Honda engines. Even when they are relatively new, they tend to use a little, although if you were 3 quarts low at oil change time, that is about the same rate as my old car...a little excessive for an '01 unless it has a gazillion miles, but not out of the ballpark.

And BTW, that thing doesn't have much oil to start with, so if you routinely let it get three quarts low and never check it between changes, it could be early curtains for that car...

• I appreciate your response. I'll have to keep an eye on the oil, this is just somewhat odd. It's been a while since I've owned a honda vehicle so I didn't realize the engines used so much oil. My last car was turbo charged and it never lost over a quart with similiar driving. Anyhow, I appreciate your advice, I'll certainly keep a close eye on the car. Thanks.
  • Hi; I've got a 95 LS with 134K; it does not burn that much oil, less than one quart each 3,500 miles.
    It used to burn about a quart, but I switched Spark plugs brands (bosch to Denso) and it is almost burning no oil at all now. I do not know if this is actually related but it is what actually happened.
    What you describe seems way too high to me. Regards.
  • bob374 or gearhead10 how much did you pay for the master cylinder job? It seems that my 95 LS (134K) has the same problem..thanks
  • jimc93sijimc93si Posts: 34
    My 2000 GSR hasn't used any oil in 2,000 miles. My 93Si would use about 1 cup of oil in 6,000 miles, where I'd usually have it changed, 10w30. The Si has 189,000 miles on it and still gets 40 mpg.
     Maybe the key is having the valves adjusted regularly, I'd have that done every 30,000 miles or so.
  • Did they use timing belt or chain in a 1995 Integra??

• 1997 GSR 5-spd, 83000 miles. Changed Timing and Pump at about 60K, and just had the Radiator replaced this summer. Now I've got a new problem. In the last couple of days, and no matter what gear I'm in, I'm getting a rattling from the engine compartment at about 3000 RPM. Anyone ever experienced this? What's gonna break?
    haven't experienced it. Mine is a lot older than yours though!

• atuzaiatuzai Posts: 47
    I am looking for buying a 96 Integra Lx with 101400 miles on it. Test drive it, at begining when engine is not warm or hot, I can feel some gears shift jerks, especially from 1st to 2nd ( 0--25 mile/h), the 2nd to 3rd a little bit smoother. But when drive for couple minutes and engine getting warm or hot, transmission seems much more smoother. Still can feel the jerk but not as strong as begining. I am wondering is this normal for Integra Auto trans? Never drive car like Integra before, so need your guys experience and suggestion. Thanks!
  • I just changed the battery on my GSR and I must have entered the security code on the radio wrong. Am I stuck with going back to the dealer, or is there some way I can override this thing?
  • Just went through the process when I bought a 1999 Integra LS. The battery was dead so when we jumped it, the radio was flashing a message to input the code. Called an Acura service rep and he gave 3 places to get the code. 1. A card furnished with the owners manual. 2. on a sticker inside the glove box, and 3. Remove the radio and the code may be on the back. I was lucky and found a card in the owners manual.. Good luck.

This Integra is sweet, 44k miles and the car fax is clean.. Question is should I get the timing belt changed?? Acura wants $720 plus tax. Can a Honda dealer replace it??
This discussion has been closed.