Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Integra - (All years/styles)

Comments

• Honda likes to keep its products top secret until last minute.

I'm hoping the new Integra will be sold in NA by next fall......PLEASE!!!!!

OR BETTER yet....in SPRING!!!!! (which is highly unlikely).

Guess I'll have to wait. I just hope they keep the weight down.
  • Hi,

I have an acura type R 1993 model and this car
    has been very good to me. I'm the orginal owner,and the only problem I have had was the ac compressor went out about 1 1/2 years ago. However now the evaporator is leaking. Since this model uses the old ac I can't fix it myself. I was thinking of retro fitting to the new ac. To clean out the old ac and the kit it will cost me about 60 bucks, which also includes a sealant that may just fix my problem. If this does'nt work im out 60 bucks no big deal. But for some garage to replace all the parts would cost me 600 bucks. Anyone think taking a shot at this 60 bucks solution would be good? This car has 95,000 miles its the lowest end car i paid 12k for it in 1993. Ive seen older models with 130k selling for 5500.00 used so I'm loving Acura. Was going to trade it in but all they want to give me is 3000 bucks they can screw off this car rules. Even though I have manual windows and doors. hehe. What do you guys think I can get for this car if I repair the ac. The ones I see in the paper dont stay in their very long and get sold at asking price.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    I think, for one thing, you should replace the "S" that's obviously missing from the nameplate of your RS model Integra...
  • Ouch, lancerfixer...did you really need to let gungadin know that?

Hmm... I wonder why they only offered $3k for a Type R(s) with manual windows???
  • zacurazacura Posts: 13
    Hey guys, I got my Integra in June. It's a clover green GS. I put down $1200 and am leasing it for 3 years, 15000 miles per year. I'm paying $310 per month. As far as the car goes, everything has been excellent. I've put on 7600 miles so far, and I am wondering if I should do the Acura scheduled maintenance since the light is constantly reminding me to. Can anyone help me out with respect to getting the dealer maintenance done? Advice very much appreciated.
    What kind of help do you need? Take it to the dealer and get it done, especially with a leased car.
    Well, I just want to know how other people's experiences were with getting their services done by Acura. Like, were the prices fair,how long did they usually take to complete. Also, why do you say, "especially with a leased car?"

Thanks
  • only1harryonly1harry Posts: 1,136
    and wait till the car has at least 15k mi. to take it in for maintenance. Call them up and ask them how much the 7500 mi. warranty is and if they say anything more than $30-40, don't go because all they do is change the oil and nothing else. They won't even inspect anything because they know if there 's anything wrong they 'll have to eat the cost since they car has very low mileage and can't be blamed on the driver.
    The reset switch for the maintenance light is slightly to the right of the steering wheel all the way under the dashboard, like about where your right knee is. Feel your way down there and you 'll find it. Keep it depressed for at least 5 seconds (I think, read your manual). Sometimes it doesn't go away until you restart the engine.
    I meant the "7500mi. service" not warranty..
    Thanks for your advice only1harry. I was initially thinking about resetting the light and getting a normal oil change done. Don't get me wrong, I want my car to remain like new for as long as possible, but at the same time I don't want to fork over extra cash for a simple oil change/car wash. The price they gave me was $45, and I don't think I drive my car hard enough to damage the cv boots/braking system yet. By the way only1, what do you think is a good way to accessorize an integra for under $200? Thanks again.
    The reason I said, "especially with a leased car" is because they could ding you financially at lease turn-in time if they don't have records of proper maintenance.
    That's a good point you make lancerfixer. Have you or anyone, ever turned in a leased car from Acura? If so, what was your experience? I try to keep my car in good shape, but I don't want to pay any more at the lease end.

Thanks
    No, I myself have never leased a car, but I have owned two Integras in the past (an '89 and then a '92) and they were both great cars. At the time, I was in the Air Force, and the nearest Acura dealer was 350 miles away in Denver; I had a local import repair shop do what little maintenance was needed on the cars. As such, I couldn't really comment on the service departments at Acura dealers.
    Okay, this is my first time owning my own car, but the experience is amazing. First of all, I got a great deal on a GS integra. Second, the dealership who sold me the car, Superior Acura in Overland Park, KS., is amazing. When I bought the car, I told my salesman that my dad was interested in getting a TL. So what does he do? He gives me a brand new white one for the night to take home and drive. I returned the car the next day, and I think my dad will definitely go for it soon. Now my car has 7800 miles on it, and I took it in to get the dealer maintenance on it, and the service clerk, a guy about 30'ish, actually showed me how to turn the light off by myself. He then had the mechanics take a look at it, and they gave me an oil change and car wash and charged me $22.00. I realized they gave me the 7500 mile service, and I think they did it for half off because I told them I was thinking about getting an oil change done, and having my local mechanic take a look at it. Oh, by the way, I took it in on a busy day, and they told me I would have to wait a couple of hours, I did'nt say anything about the wait, and right there in front of me was a purple 00' gsr loaner they were going to give me for the day! Is everyone else who owns an Acura as happy as I am with their dealership?
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    My other car is a BMW 328i and I have to say that I get treated well by BMW... however I get treated even better by Acura when I take my (comparatively) humble Integra in. Always a loaner, never a wait, never a run-around or a hassle.... I've owned 4 Integras since 86.

I think that the Integras need a better interior, better tires, and better soundproofing, but I'd put the quality of their cars and their service department up against any in the world.
    I agree with you lokki. Integras need better sound isolation, and better tires. Oh, and cupholders. I agree with you on BMW's. My friend's dad owns a 528 and he loves his dealer. I test drove a used 318ti hatchback before I bought my Integra, and I liked it, but it had 67000 miles on it, and the drive was a little off. So, when I told my salesman that I wanted to wait until they got something with a few less miles on it, he looked pissed off. Immediately, he told me that the 318 was my best option, and that it's hard to find and blah, blah, blah. I finally gave him my address and phone number and he never called back. Has anyone here ever done business with Baron BMW in Overland Park, KS?
  • I bought a 1992 Integra in August of 1998 with 110,800 mi. on it. It was by far the best car I ever owned. Besides oil changes and gas, I never had to spend a dime on it. My Integra was perfect the first year I owned it. The second year, when I was at about 130,000 mi, I had to put in a new master cylinder. Then it ran perfectly for another year. It didn't truly start to give me problems until it hit 147,000!! Last week, at 151,200, I finally blew my head gasket. I was so sad to see my little Integra go. We had traveled 40,000 in 2 years. I was so upset to lose such an outstanding car, I went out and bought another Integra! This time a 1994 LS coupe with 88,000 mi. I pick it up next week!! If it were any other car, I would never risk buying anything over 50,000 mi. However, Integra are great! For anyone contemplating what car they should get next (or what they should get for your kid), I strongly suggest an Integra! It's small, but not cramped. It's sporty but, for insurance purposes, still classified as "economy". Finally, It is VERY reliable.

I did have one question though:

I test drove the 94 Integra today. I am aware they did put a new transmission in the 94-99's, however, the acceleration seemed off on this particular one. It didn't respond too quickly to (normal)pedal pressure. It had really soggy acceleration. I was wondering if this a a normal characteristic of the new tranny, or should I tell the dealer to double check?
    5-speed or automatic? Auto Integras are well known to be slugs.
    I 've never had a problem with the service at 2 dealerships that I went to. They gave me a loaner car both times. I only went to 2 different dealerships because the wheel alignment was a little off on my GSR. Both dealerships did an alignment for free while the car had under 8k mi. If you slightly complain they seem to want to do everything to please you. My Honda dealer (I own a Civic too) is the opposite. They look to rip you off and want to charge you for warranty work. Different kind of people too..
    Luckily I only had one of those incidents with my Civic but they shut up and charged me nothing after I started yelling at them because they knew I was right and wasn't going to take their crap. With the Acura dealer I feel like I 'm treated like a king. Nice waiting room, free coffee and donuts, and you don't have to say anything to get a loaner. At the Honda dealer I had to scream to get a loaner and they gave me an '89 Civic w/120k mi. while mine is a '97! It rattled and the steering wheel shook on the highway, a very abused car that apparently wasn't maintained at all. All it needed was to have the tires balanced and the rotors cut, or a brake job.. I returned the car the next day and told them it was a nightmare driving that car and I 'd be glad to give it back.. I really hate my Honda dealer and I 'm glad nothing 's really gone wrong with the car after 120k mi.. and I do the tune-ups myself. I only took it to them for the timing belt.. I hope the GSR is just as reliable as the Civic and I think it will be. The Acura dealers are the best dealerships I 've encountered, far better than GM & Chrysler that I used to go to. The good thing is I haven't been inside the Acura dealership in over a year and don't plan to for a year but I do miss their free coffee & donuts, leather couch and the 27" TV :-)
  • is a great car. I bought one new in 92 when I graduated from college. I traded it in 97. The
    only thing I didn't like about this car is that the front seats were uncomfortable after long periods
    of time. I had 105,000 miles on it when I traded it. Despite the front seat situation, I am looking
    for another one just to knock about in on the weekends. The only problem I had with the car
    was with the some part of the ignite. I replaced it at $900 but about 6 months later I received
    a letter from Honda saying there was a recall on this part of the car and if I hadn't replaced
    it I could take it to the Aura dealer to have it done at no cost or they would reimburse me
    for my repairs within reason. I sent my receipt showing I had already replaced this part and
    within 30 days I received a check for the $900. That was the only time I had a problem with the
    car. I took it in to replace the timing belt at about 70k miles. The mechanic comes into the
    waiting room and says, " I've got something I want you to see." I go and he just touches the
    belt slightly and it broke. He says, "My man, you got here just in the nick of time."
    were you lucky? The new timing belts now will go over 90k mi. I changed the timing belt on my Civic at 91k. I was paranoid that it would break any day. The service person told me that they usually go well into the '90s and over 100k mi. sometimes. I 'm not taking the same chances with my GSR though.. if I keep it that long, depending when the new Type-R is coming out :-)
  • eziosezios Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a '93 Acura Integra GS (hatchback),5 spd, with about 88,000 miles, being offered at 5995. What should I look for? Given the mileage, what can I expect in the coming months with respect to engine problems and the like? What have been your experiences with this car? Thanks.
    About the only thing I'd look for is a proper maintenance history. Make sure the timing belt has been changed, and if it hasn't, make sure getting it replaced is part of the deal, or you get a discount consistent with the cost of getting the timing belt/water pump replaced. I took both my Integras ('89 and '92) over 100k miles with zero problems. Likewise, I've got a '94 Accord now with 103k miles, also trouble-free, with the exception of a starting problem which turned out to be a loose fitting.
  • First off, are you buying from a dealership? Sounds like it if they're asking $5995. I would definitely ask about the 90k mile service and if it's been done. Chances are it hasn't and that's definitely $300-$400 you don't want to spend after driving the car for 2,000 miles. If the person who traded the car in got the service done at that particular dealership that you are shopping, they should have the maintenance records. Don't let them fool you by saying,"Oh yeah, we totally go through the whole car and make sure it doesn't have any problems." Remember these are sales people and going through the whole car means giving it an oil change and washing it.
    The 90k mile service is a great place to start with your offer... Ask them to throw it in and you'll buy the car. Wait, I mean TELL them to throw it in or you won't buy the car. Definitely use this to your advantage at the dealership, or even if you're buying it private party. The 30k mile service intervals are the most expensive to get.
    Other than that, great choice of car and I wouldn't expect any big problems.
  • eziosezios Posts: 2
    Thanks to sakinosh and lancefixer for the advice. What has been your experience with clutches on these cars (90M miles seems a lot). If it has to be changed, does anyone have an idea of the cost entailed? Does anyone know just what maintenance work is scheduled for 90,000 miles?
  • I'm not sure if the igniter problem I mentioned earlier involved the 93 model also but I'd ask the seller if he had any trouble or had it replaced. I traded my 92 Integra in 97 with 105k
    and had no clutch problems.
    I never had any clutch problems with either of my Integras. If you don't abuse them, they should last well past 100k.
  • I've never had any problems with my clutch in my auto 92 Integra. These cars are rock solid, and if you look in Consumer Reports, they've rated Integras from 92-99 extremely reliable with little problems. Lancerfixer has a good point, you need to make sure the timing belt is new since they need to be changed every 90,000 miles. And the water pump can be done at the same time since they've already taken everything apart. That way you don't have to pay for extra labor later.
    The timing belt and H2O pump replacement will probably cost you around $490 at the dealership. They also replace all of the drive belts at the same time. The 90k mile service will run about $330 too and that includes things like: tune-up, repl spark plugs, oil change, refill all fluids, rotate and inspect tires, 21 point inspection, inspect belts, brakes, rotors...things like that. It sucks because they inspect a hell of a lot but they'll only tell you if you have a problem and then you get to decide whether you want to pay the extra or not.
    There's definitely cheaper places to go, but I've always bit the bullet and taken it to the dealership because you know they work on these cars specifically. The prices I said are very recent since I just got my 2nd 90k mile service done a few months ago. I've got 202,500 miles on my Integra and she's still kickin' strong!!
  • brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    Hi all,
    I have an '87 Integra LS 5 speed which I've been driving for only a month. This is my first manual tranny, so I was wondering about a safe RPM range for normal driving circumstances. For example, in 5th gear, 70mph is pushing 4000rpms, which seems high to me. So I usually cruise at 65mph @ 3500 rpms. I just feel uncomfortable driving over 3500 rpms even tho it redlines at 7000, and I'm still getting used to the stickshift. I thought I heard that Hondas rev high; is it true I won't hurt the engine as long as I stay under redline? I assume higher revs means lower gas mileage. Thanks for any advice.

Caroline