Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Integra - (All years/styles)

Comments

• 90gs90gs Member Posts: 107
    Steve-

Timing belt replacement: $60-70 belt $400-600 labor.
    The extra cost is probably extra little stuff that they'll do along the way when stuff is out of the engine bay.

You don't have to do it at the dealer, a lot of places will do it for cheaper its really an easy job on a honda/acura (relatively). I would shop around, just make sure they do the water pump when their down there.

Oh, so yes that is reasonable........ for the Stealership! ;)
  • angelasangelas Member Posts: 1
    Couldn't tell you for sure, but... I have a 96 LS non v-tec and got it up to 130 with no problem, no modifications. For what it's worth...
    Cheryl,
    I would say most definately it sounds like anti-theft mechanisms
    working improperly, prob. a result of that accident you
    mentioned. I had a 94 American car that had a "state of the
    art" security feature that made it so I couldn't start my own
    car with MY electronic remote key several times!!?!?!?! the
    behavior that you are describing (erratic & unpredictable) seems
    similar to my situation. Since than I don't trust factory
    anti-theft systems. I would see if you can get it removed and
    replace it with a G5 clifford or just some cheap brand. the way
    I see it with alarms:
    Stock/factory: useless
    Cheap alarms: stops 60-80% of theives
    clifford/high end: stops 70-95% of theives

But if you just have an LS or other non-GSR I wouldn't even get
    an alarm, just some wheel locks if you have the LS Mesh rims or
    non-hubcaps. That's the cheapest way to do it... hope this helps
  • meatwagonmeatwagon Member Posts: 1
    I currently turbocharged my 94 b20b integra..when the install was done i test drove, hit about 4psi and instantly, white smoke...so naturally i thought i blew the head gasket..removed the head, replaced the gasket with a cometic extreme head gasket and arp extended studs..checked the head to see if it was warped, didnt appear to be, replaced the head, got it running, drove around, hit about 2 psi, and there was white smoke again...i do not know what to check out now..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thanx
  • cheryl1213cheryl1213 Member Posts: 2
    thanks.

the dealer did say that the new key he made might have solved it...hopefully it works with the system better. i don't have an alarm or remote access...just the standard secuirty type features.
  • slajjsslajjs Member Posts: 2
    Hi Map5,
    Well the Integra still is shifting slowly into 3rd when cold. It's now taking about 4 miles to start working properly. I found a note stating the modulator valve sticks on these cars. Took it all apart, the piston was a little sticky, cleaned everything out and got it working properly. Still did the same thing. Found some tranny lub/fixer at a Napa store which supposedly works wonders on all AT trannys, no change. I drove the car to Pittsburg and back last Saturday, 600+ miles. It ran great once it shifted the first time. Bought another vehicle on eBay to replace this vehicle. Anyone want a cheap 90 Integra? 105k miles...... I'm through screwing around with it. Problem must be inside the case. Good luck
  • map5map5 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Slajjs --

I've come to the same conclusion after reviewing the "transmission traumas" forum on this site, although I'm very curious to know what the tranny problem is given that the problem with both our cars sounds exactly the same. I thought I might call Acura Headquarters myself, even though my dealer claims to have spoken with them the last time they attempted to fix the car.

My dealer estimated my car's worth (1990, 119K) at around $675 in the upper midwest given its transmission problem. But, I'm not sure who would buy it.

Thanks for responding! -- Map
    You're not alone by any means! My 1990 GS does NOT like to go into third from fourth (manual) but if I pop it into 2nd from fourth (without letting go of the clutch) and than shift into 3rd it goes inwithout skipping a step. I've heard of 3rd gear grinding and many other 3rd gear related problems with almost all integras 1990-2001. I'm not too worried because I wont be keeping this tranny for too much longer but I am curious to hear what Acura Headquarters says about it. :confuse:

Oh, and BTW you could get at least 2grand for your car with the mentioned prob. over here in the Bay Area so it might make sense for you to post ads for it in the bay area and than use the extra $1400 to catch a plane back to your hometown (if you like going on road trips that is!). :P
  • paclark01paclark01 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, this question is by no means related to the current topic but I need some insight.

I have a 96 GSR Sedan and the cruise control stopped working yesterday. The button still lights up when pressed, but the controls on the steering wheel aren't working. I was looking for a fuse, but ruled that out since the button was lighting up when pressed. Question? Is the cruise control operated by a vacuum line or is there a plug underneath the car that may have come loose? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is not operated by a vacuum line. It is electric, and has a manual actuator that yanks on the throttle linkage to hold a set speed. You should definitely check the fuse, then it could be any number of things, contacts on the steering wheel switches perhaps?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• melonmanmelonman Member Posts: 3
    Do you have ABS option? If so, I have heard problems on other mfr. vehicles with faulting ABS systems causing problems with manual braking as you described. If you do have ABS have you gotten the warning light-but then had it go out? If so you can potentially have those codes read and analyzed for possible faults leading to improper braking. I have had the ABS warning light come a few times over the past year or so however, (knock on wood), I have not had any problems (yet!). I have a 94 LS with 140K miles on it.

Maybe helpful, mebbe not...
    :P
  • melonmanmelonman Member Posts: 3
    Does the labor include paint, prep. If so, although he may be overcharging you for this job, it doesn't take much damage to have collision repair costs skyrocket. Obviously you are going to have other estimates done right? This will probably answer your own question and would be prudent ;) .
  • rt378rt378 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds about right for the timing belt and water pump replacement at the dealer, I had my '97 Integra LS serviced recently, the mileage is 95K. I also had the brakes done for $525, and a gasket pan leak was also found...$220 to fix?! (Don't know if that was really necessary, I hadn't noticed any oil leaks.) Well, the service was done right the first time, the car runs like new and no new car payments...she's definitely a keeper! :D

Might try checking a few dealers if it's convenient, sometimes the prices are different?!
  • rburgmanrburgman Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1994 Acura integra GS-R and have had problems recently starting the car in the morning. The problem seems to be related to the not so cold September DC weather. When I depress the clutch to start the engine I have to be very careful about how far I depress the clutch pedal for the ignition to spark. Too little or too much and I get one click and no ignition. Three months ago I could not get the enginre to start and replaced the ignition coil, rotor, plugs, and plug wires which did the trick for the summer but the car has always been testy on cold mornings. If you have a suggestion I would appreciate any help.
    it's not the clutch safety switch? There is a switch under the dash that won't let the starter crank unless the clutch is pushed in. If you have to fuss with the exact positioning of the clutch to get the car to start, it is likely a problem with that switch. Sometimes, they just move in their mounts and get out of adjustment. Luckily, they are not expensive to replace.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kellis329kellis329 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Acura Integra, 185,000 miles, which was hit by a moving truck when it was parked. The truck was coming around the corner and hit the driver's side fender, took out a side light and headlight, and partially pulled off the bumper. After I picked the car up from the bodyshop, the stereo did not turn on (couldn't put in the code). I took it back to the shop, and they had a stereo repairman take a look. He said that the stereo is getting the 2 kinds of power it should get, but it mysteriously simply won't work. A few days later, the car wouldn't start, and a tow-truck driver friend tested it and said that the battery won't hold a charge, but the alternator seems to be putting out quite a bit (18v). I'm having the battery replaced (it was old anyway), but am wondering if the accident or repair could have screwed up the electronics/wiring, resulting in a blown stereo and/or alternator-type problems. Is this just a coincidence, or am I looking at a bigger issue? Thanks.
    It's probably not a coincidence at all. If I remember correctly the battery is pretty close to the fender that you got hit by. That can cause the problems you are describing. The no-start might be coincidence. But so many problems can happen from even minor accidents including relays/wiring and wierd stuff you couldn't even dream of let alone diagnose. For example I once had a loose screw (pardon the pun) in my distributor that caused the car to not start sometimes (seemingly randomly). It took a while to fiunally diagnose it.
    I believe your best bet is replaceeverythinmg and anything that got possibly hit in the accident.
    problems after a front-end accident, the rule of thumb is ALWAYS check all your grounds. Lots of things ground to the body up fron there along the fenders, I bet one got knocked loose, or was removed for bodywork and then not replaced.

Now, the radio may be a separate issue - the stock stereo has a separate fuse inside its housing that might blow if it is not properly grounded, and then of course there are the security codes. If it is the stock stereo I would take it to the dealer, but deal with the larger grounding issue first.

• frank32frank32 Member Posts: 4
    the car has 186k , with a 5sp manual trans. Once the car heats up, and you attempt to increase speed in each gear the car will increase in rpm and not go any faster. It will do this throughout the gears until your deisred set speed is reached. This is an interrmittent problem...so....oil is clean, changed regularily..any clues???
    here's one - you need a new clutch.

It will do it more in higher gears, especially at low revs when you hit the gas.

• frank32frank32 Member Posts: 4
    so im mechanically inclined....a project that a guy can tackle..???? How difficult is it???
  • sirgsirg Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought a 92 gsr it runs great it just dosent idle right i changed the throtlebody but that didnt correct it the engine just keeps reving up and down between 2&3 thousand rpm's i could really use some help
    Idle... It's either the TW sensor, a vacuum leak (somewhere) or you' might be running rich
    I echo 90gs, most likely the TW sensor.

frank: whoa! Yeah, you maybe could, but it requires some equipment. You have to drop the transmission. You have to know how to bleed a clutch. You have to have a photographic memory (or a Polaroid with flash) to put everything back where you found it. Beyond that, it is basically a plug-n-play job. But there is a reason that shops want $100s and $100s for this job - it is a lot of work. You will need to borrow a repair bay with a floor lift.

• brintegrabrintegra Member Posts: 2
    Over the last few days I noticed that my clutch pedal has a lot of "give" when I start up the car. As I drive the pedal becomes more firm. I dont really have a problem shifting gears except I do have to press the pedal quite far in order to change the gear

Has anyone seen this problem ? Any suggestion on what this might be ?
  • wille0nwille0n Member Posts: 3
    My manual GS Integra with 86k miles on it recently started making sounds that are similar to a lawnmower mixed with a gocart whenever I accelerate. The ounds seem to be coming from the exhaust area. Can anyone give me some help on that? Is it a serious problem and can I still drive it to the mechanic or must I have it towed?
    sounds like you have a leaking clutch system. It is hydraulic like the brakes, and if you have a leak, the pedal will get soft and engage lower to the floor. You should check the fluid level in the reservoir, and if it is low you should have it checked. Eventually you will begin to grind the gears when shifting, and if you neglect it long enough you won't be able to shift at all. You can put off the repair (if needed) by keeping the fluid topped up in the reservoir, but you have to be careful it never gets low enough to draw air into the system.

wille: sounds like you have an exhaust leak, maybe? Perhaps a little rust has taken its toll down there? If that is what it is, you can drive it to the shop. Midas will find you something for cheap to bolt on there and solve the problem, or you could get OEM from the dealer and pay twice the price for something designed to fit and provide the proper amount of back pressure.

• docltdoclt Member Posts: 1
    I have encountered the same problem with my 1990 integra--the water appears to be running from the windshield cowling area down the heater housing. I am wondering if the windshield gasket is cracking and allowing the leak--as you said it only happens during the rain--I will continue with tracking the problem--I have already removed the internal plastic shroud and replaced the foam gasket--this obviously didn't help I think what you noticed by it leaking only when you move is the water collecting in the heater cover--just a thought. Still working on it, if either of us find the problem please respond. thanks
  • wille0nwille0n Member Posts: 3
    Well, thing is, I don't have an OEM exhaust. The exhaust is an RS-R exhaust (not sure which model). What should I do in that case?
    Well, in that case it might just be a bad install, which can be fixed without new parts. Either way, it shouldn't cost a ton to fix.

This may be totally unrelated but a leak is a leak right?! :confuse:

Here's the deal. I recently stipped the trunk of my 2Dr 1990 Hatch (not plastic anything, no spare, just the carpet). I went to a car wash and I noticed a little bit of water coming in the cargo trunk area, presumably near/inbetween the taillights.
    It should be noted that I also have moisture in my taillights because I havent gotten around to replacing the foam gasket (common prob. w/my car).
    Has anyone had a similar leaking experience?!?! I'm not sure if stripping the trunk is what did it or if I just didn't notice until I stipped it.
  • jebbidiahjebbidiah Member Posts: 16
    I have a pretty bad leaking problem in my car too when it rains heavy and my car's outside. There is usually a puddle of water on the right side of the trunk just below the right taillight. I put a towel there when it rains and i'm driving so it does'nt leak all over my trunk. My GS-R is garage kept so i dont have to worry about it that much but like 90gs said if anyone knows anything...
  • csanderscsanders Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same leaking problem in the rear cargo area, driver's side. Both rear tail light gaskets were replaced and resealed twice. There is also a drain hose from the rear power antenae that came loose on my car from replacing it. I was told by the dealership that the Integra's have a design problem with the rear tail lights, that's why they leak if the seals break for whatever reason.
  • csanderscsanders Member Posts: 2
    I also have an intermittent starting problem with my 2000 Acura Integra that has now become worse. I will push the clutch in, the engine will keep turning and not fire. If I leave the car sit for about 20 to 30 minutes and try again, it starts. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I have had it into the dealership and they cannot find the problem because the car starts when it is there. Help!!
  • scotthochscotthoch Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    My 96 LS steering wheel shimmy's when I use the brakes at higher speeds. Doesn't happen at lower speeds, < 40 mph or so. The wheels are in balance, so I'm not sure if it's rotors or something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    warped rotors, most likely. You can get them resurfaced (turned) as long as they haven't been resurfaced too many times before.

Yes, I second the warped rotors theory. How about this... stop breaking in neutral!!!! :surprise: and/or get better rotors.
  • zodiacviizodiacvii Member Posts: 6
    I was about to post the same thing; what a coincidence. My 2001 SE Integra does the same thing when I brake, however it feels like more than just the steering wheel. It almost feels as if the entire vehicle is shaking. Going to take it in tomorrow to get it looked at. Would you say this is the same thing?
    yes, probably, and remember the rear rotors can be warped also, which makes the rear end vibrate. But take it in for inspection anyway, as there is just the slight chance it is something more serious like wheel bearings.

• integrachicintegrachic Member Posts: 1
    My 94 integra is have a very weird problem starting. It starts on the second "try". This will occur for about 2-3 weeks, then be okay for a month or more. Then out of the blue, the problem begins again. It always starts on the second try. No sound on the first try, but all power sources are ok. Last week, it would not start at all: again, no sound from engine, but all lights on dash were lit. I let it sit for 1 hour, then tried again. It started on the second try, just like always! Has anyone experienced this? Three mechanics are stumped.

• namesternamester Member Posts: 4
    I have a 98 GSR with 122,000 miles on it. Has anyone experienced the following problems:

1) My fuel door release latch has lost some tension. The door still opens when I use the lever, but I had to adjust the metal catch on the inside of the door. Has anyone had to replace this assembly?

2) Randomly, my car has difficulty starting. When I turn the key, it will click, then start, or won't start. No cranking, and no gasping, just a click and nothing. When I try starting it again, it starts up.

Other than that, and the oil leaks, its a great car that I would like to keep for as long as I can.

Thanks for any help!
    I experience the same thing with my 98, but haven't gotten it checked out yet. Do you get a clicking noise when you try the first unsuccessful start?
    your problem sounds like one with the starter too.

• heejomanheejoman Member Posts: 33
    Had a 2000 Integra. It was approaching 90K miles looking at 90K service, timing belt, water pump . . . $2,000+. No problem with the car except little noise with the steering belt (dealer would not say which belt was loose unless I cough up $100+ for dianostic fee, which was a big turn off as I was loyal to them for every single maintenance.)

Traded in to get wife a new wheel. I'm driving her old car 2002 Maxima.

Maxima is much more comfortable and plenty of power. But I miss the Integra especially in handling. Looking back, it was perfect balance not too tight (like the Audi A4 or BMW 325) just right.

Plus I like the feel of the control of the heat and air conditioning based on what I feel versus the digital temperature read out.

So for those who are thinking about trading it in, if you have a good personal mechanic in your back pocket, keep the car. It's really a fun car.
    I'd like to know if anyone has upgraded their exhaust system. I'm interested in whether or not you have a full catback exhaust and if there are issues with smog inspection. Also, recommendations for not so loud exhausts would be good. I appreciate any information anyone can give me. Thanks!
  • mabliffmabliff Member Posts: 1
    hi all !! ;)
    im having a problem with my acura integra, when park the car and put it into park , the P light wont light up on the dash board saying that it is in park, so because of that i cant take out the key from the ignition!!!??? so weird. so i have to wait about 1 minute after i put it in park , then the P light goes on and i could take out the key. i brought it to 3 mechanics and no one has figured out the problem . my integra is a 1993 hatchback 2 door.
    i hope someone here can help me out :0
    thankyou
    ricky
  • ingyhereingyhere Member Posts: 1
    Try replacing the main relay, they are known for causing weird problems due to temperature variations, and they directly control starter operation. (They are known for failures with solder/circuit board etching connections.) If that does not do the trick, try the starter solenoid. Good Luck!
  • brudasbrudas Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting very little heat and only after driving over 50 mph for a few miles. Radiator is full, don't have a/c, bought car at 90,000 now at 125,000. Is thermostat the most likely problem?
  • crimsonsandcrimsonsand Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have the exact same problem with my 92 acura integra 4 door. its like I have to wait for it to warm up before it will acknowledge that it is in park. If I jiggle the shift handle while the whole thing is coming to an end, I can hear a relay buzzing. I believe it is the neutral safety switch making the noise but i am not sure if the neutral safety switch is the actual problem. I am researching this and I will get back to you if I find anymore out. will you get back to me if you find anything?

sincerely, Tom Z
This discussion has been closed.