Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    Wouldn't the warrantly have run out by now? I was fearing it was a sludge engine, but our 1999 Solara V6 which has a sludge engine, has gone 150,000 trouble-free miles.

Who would be best to check for sludge issues with this engine?

Thanks for any and all advice!
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I called the dealer concerning the car today. Wow! Even the power antenna works and that's a rarity on these Toyotas! The car also has ABS but the dealer doesn't have the keyless remote for the car, if it does indeed have it. It should, since the car is practically loaded with leather and moonroof and with what look to be premium wheels.

My only concern now is the keyless entry. I know those can be had on Ebay, but would the specific system on this car (if already installed) limit the fobs to those older styles with the soft, rubbery buttons as opposed to the current, more compact better ones? My 1996 Corolla has the old style which I REALLY hate because the batteries drain quickly and the same button locks and unlocks the car. Any insight on this is much appreciated!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    this car would be covered out to 100K miles or 2006, under the special extended warranty Toyota provides for cars affected by the sludge issue. That warranty is just for engine damage related to sludging.

As for keyless, by '98 Toyota was using the remotes with separate buttons for locking and unlocking. If they can't find the remote at the dealer, I am sure you could order a new one, although it would be pricey. Or you could have a new alarm installed and bypass the existing keyless altogether.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• zombozombo Posts: 89
    I would think long and hard before buying a celica of this particular vintage. I had a 92 GTS and loved it at first,it looked great had a super stereo[system 10],leather interior,and all the bells and whistles.But after about 3 months it's extreme lack of get up and go had me bored and looking for another car.Poor gas mi.around 22 average was also a big minus.Toyota basically made the 86-89 celicas[quick and sporty]into a heavy underpowered[except the all-track] 'chick car'and performance and good fuel economy would not return til 2000.I remember seeing a 99 new one going for 25k next to a new 2000 gts for 23k so they were also overpriced when new.Just MHO of course.
    curbed at about 2750 pounds and had about 135/135 hp and torque. These numbers are almost identical to the numbers for the 96-02 non-VTEC integra, which is not generally considered a slow car, I think.

The 90-99 celicas were 300 pounds heavier than their predecessors, without a power increase, which would be noticeable to anyone who had owned an older one. But they were in the ballpark for performance with their peers at the time.

The real genius Toyota injected into the current celica is they went back to the old weight - base GT at 140 hp has a curb weight of just 2425 with a manual.

Now as for price, well, celica has always been a little overpriced, IMO. But OTOH, so are many Toyotas. And the celicas do tend to hang around for a very long time, so in the end they pay you back for your higher initial investment.

I really don't pay much attention to the 0-60 times or torque figures that the car mags tout so much.All I know is when coasting along in 1st when I stepped on the gas in my 86GT -97hsp,118 ft lbs torque it jumped foward,the 92GTS felt like it was accelerating into a strong wind ,like something was holding it back.As far as gas mi.,I knew people with 6 cyls who were getting better mpg. A complete tuneup and diagnostic did not help.When the car mags did their 90s comparos the Integra GSR and turbo Eclipse were always featured,the Celica was left out as it couldn't compete, performance wise.The 90s Celicas were nice cars ,but mediocre perfomance and fuel economy ruined their appeal for me.
    were "lo-po" by today's standards, and the reason they were never compared to the GSR and Eclipse Turbo was because one was rated at 60 hp higher, while the other had a 30 hp advantage.

The couple of years they made all-trac turbo celicas in the 90s, however, they did just fine for themselves in competition with these other brands.

Something that Honda has always known, and Toyota found out or remembered somehow when it reversed celica's course with the year 2000 redo, is that lighter is always better in a sport coupe.

That the value of a 99 celica GT loaded with all opps. in exc cond. goes for 13,770 dealer retail and 10,695 private party value which is a ways off the 25k price 4 years previous.Compared to a new RSX type S at 23,650 it was a poor value then and now.Good thing Toyota saw the light and made it lighter,faster,and much less costly.Otherwise it probably would've gone the way of the Supra.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    Now that I own a 91 Celica GT, here is my comments. Its a slower car, especially after my last car, an 89 Corolla GT-S. However, it does get 30 mpg and it rides like a Camry. Its a wonderful highway car. It had 151,000 when I bought it last November. Now it has 162,000.

Lets look back in performance and the Celica. The first three generation Celicas all had moderate performance with so-so gas mileage. My first two cars were 78 and 79 models. They averaged 18 mpg with 10.4 0-60 times. The 86-89 generation not only put some performance in the car, but told many police stations around the country to get faster cars to catch them. My 89 Corolla was built in a similar nature. The same generation Celicas also got cool mileage. I have heard some of them breaking 40. The 90-99 Celicas went heavy, but kept a 4 cylinder for insurance reasons. You know that all Celicas and Camrys or Coronas in the past have been the same chassis and engines. The Camry just got the 6 cylinder and the Celica did not. Toyota did the turbo thing, but high prices kept it limited. Its nice to see the Celica become faster again, now that is built off the Corolla class. However, there are compromises. A new Celica is not going to ride like a 99. However, fuel economy is up and of course the same goes for power. The current Celica is now in its fourth year. What will Toyota do next? More torque? Keep it affordable?
    Automobile mag for June, they will keep it basic in the next iteration, which will be here in 18 months. They are going to go "180 degrees" from the current look, which "has not been popular". I am surprised they think that: when the current gen came out it was a huge hit. Just like anything sporty and geared to a younger crowd, it aged quickly and now sales have slowed. But that does not make the design a disaster by any means. They sold way more of this one than the last. (50K+ per year when it was new).

Will remain a 4-cyl, 2-door car.

I personally had an '83 GTS for a long time, and it was plenty fast enough - it was so light. The mileage remark was right on, though. It got about 27 most of the time.

• guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 633
    I have seen so many of the current Celicas around. Unfortunately, I see red ones all the time also (mine is red.) I'm a very critical person, and I think this car is super cool, one of the best designs around.

They're gonna blow it with a completely new design! There's no where to go but "down"!
    they have to change it sooner or later! And annual sales now are down to niche levels - they may drop under 10K per year this year. Toyota must be anxious to bring out a new one. I am glad they will not be dropping the model line, and will be keeping it true to its roots (a light 2-door, economical sport coupe)

But if Toyota is going to change it,let's hope it is in the area of increased interior room and performance to compete with the Acura RSX.The only area that I'm not too impressed with is the rear slablike valence panel design,but in pictures the Celica with no rear spoiler looks remarkedly more attractive.I've yet to see one with no rear spoiler in NJ.Studies show that over 60% of new car buyers are women,so let's hope that the bean counters don't have their way and 'Chick' up the Celica again.With the new Scion division going after the younger buyers this is a distinct possibility.
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    Personally I think the Celica GT-S already is very competitive with the RSX-S, at least in performance. They are close enough that any sort of contest would end up being a "driver's race."

Also, most people I know think the celica looks funny without a spoiler.

Finally, although I would love to see a higher performance version of the current celica, I doubt that will happen. I've heard that a new Supra is in the works; I don't think that Toyota would want the celica to intrude into the Supra's market.
    would also be the one that I think would sell.Nothing too dramatic,maybe 160 hsp for the GT and 220 for the GTS with a 9k redline ala the Honda S2000.But nippononly is right,I did some quick web research and discovered that Celica sales have dropped about 30% each year since 2001,with Consumer Guide even saying the Celica might be dropped after 2004.Since the new design will supposedly be very different,I only hope they don't go heavier,slower,softer suspension,with a quieter engine to appeal to the Mitsubishi Eclipse buying crowd(mostly young girls).I laugh every time I read a review complaining about the Celica's noisy engine.It's a sports coupe, not a luxury suv,the growl of the engine is part of it's appeal!The last Supra was a near exotic,especially the price which was in the 40-50k range.So even if the new Supra retails for about 35k it would still be 10k away from the price of a fully loaded GTS.
  • yatittleyatittle Posts: 13
    I see where a sunroof is listed as an option, but nowhere is a moonroof listed. Sunroof just tilts up whereas a moonroof slides all the way open, right??? Is a moonroof optional or can it be custom installed by dealer, and if so, at what price?? Babylon Honda custom installed a moonroof on the Accord LX. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.. Thank you
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The sunroof on the Celica opens all the way.
    it is a moonroof - it is see-through. It tilts up and slides all the way back - both under power.

• dq1dq1 Posts: 44
    I got back from the grocery store this afternoon, pulled into the garage and my 01 Celica GT (5sp. man) started to surge up and down between 1.5k and 3.0k rpm's. My wife came out and asked what I was doing and didn't believe it until I got out of the car and we both stood there looking dumbfounded at the car while it did this :) I took it immediately to the dealer. While on my way there, I would drop it out of 5th into neutal and it would "bounce" a bit, but by the time I got to the dealer who is about 40 miles away, it had stopped. The tech let it run for about 45 minutes but couldn't duplicate it. I put about another 70 miles on it on the way home and it hasn't done it since. Anybody have any thoughts?
  • 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    I'd replace the fuel filter just to be safe.
    My 2000 GTS does that when first started, in freezing temperatures. Hrmmm...I don't worry about it, but it is normally brief.
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    Just for the record, I had the same "auto-rev" going on during the winter about a year ago (2000 GT-S). I just waited it out and it stopped acting up after a few minutes.

I dunno what it is. Do you have any mods? I have an aftermarket Cold Air Intake that occasionally fusses with the RPMs.
  • sergeissergeis Posts: 134
    My guess is it is computer going into oscillations. Programs which have a feedback regulating slowly changing processes can do that - my cruise control on Celica GT 2000 often goes into oscillations breaking and surging with speed fluctuations ~5-10 mph, usually restarting the program (almost said Windows - just turn cruise off and then on) stops it. The 'gas mixture' regulating part of the program I believe is self-learning adjusting to driving conditions, I guess it went wild for some reason and then after while 'relearned'.
  • wscc1wscc1 Posts: 21
    The fuel gauge on my 2000 Celica GTS, on very hot days after turning off the engine, when the
    engine is restarted (the off period could be minutes to overnight)
    will not read correctly. In fact, at times it will not show any bars (and why wasn't a standard pointer gauge good enough?????) at all at times. After driving a while it returns to the proper reading. This has been going on since new and, of course, I could not report it to the dealer since it would never do it when I would need it to. Any others out there have this problem and has anyone got a fix?
  • exit00exit00 Posts: 11
    OK... got a 2003 Celica GS last month and it came with Dunlop SP Sport 4000 tires.
                          The recommended PSI for the tires inflation noted on the inside door is 29psi for all
                          four tires. However, checking them today (when they were cold), the tire pressure in
                          each one was 40psi.

I'm concerned that 40psi is much too high based on the recommended pressure.
                          Although, I usually keep my tire pressure a little higher than what is recommended.

If anybody else has these tires on their 2003 Celica GS, what tire pressure do you
                          keep them at? Before I call the service dept, I would like to hear some other owners
                          opinions first.
    What is the MAX Pressure Rating of those tires?
    left too highly inflated by the selling dealership - a very common problem. Isn't max pressure 35 PSI for those tires? Lower them down so they do not exceed the max listed on the tire sidewall.

• exit00exit00 Posts: 11
    The max air pressure on the side of the tires states 51psi. So 40psi that the dealer put in doesn't exceed the max, but it is still way over the 29psi that the car recommends. I've never put in more than 33 or so psi in any other Dunlop sport tire so 40psi seems extreme to me....

Mike
    I like your thinking on this exit00, and I wish to add my 2 cents, which some of it is redundant. The tire pressure rating for the car, like you mentioned, is your main reference. That provides a balance of performance and comfort for that particular car. Adding pressure for better performance is possible, and may sacrifice some other things, like ride comfort, wet/snow traction, etc. I think I do what you typically do, and add a couple lbs all around.

Approaching a tire's rated pressure is really not safe, as that pressure typically far exceeds the recommended pressure for that particular car.

I'm curious as to how the ride is with 40psi. I'm thinking it is probably somewhat harsh.
  • 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    Set them to 29psi like the sticker says. They were at 40 psi for shipping, to keep from developing "flat" spots on the tires. The dealer's prep service that you probably paid extra for was supposed to deflate the tires to the sticker pressure. I wonder what else did they not do?