Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Is that confirmed? Or is that just a rumor? The caldina seems to be more of solara-type car than a sport coupe. It's unlike Toyota to not have a defined player in every single niche of the market.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Isn't the Caldina more of a Matrix-like vehicle?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Caldina is a five-door hatch, smaller than Solara, but bigger than Celica, that is for sure. Clearly, it will not be an exact "replacement" for celica! But it is available now with a turbo, and I guess is a decently fast car. I would think they would make it faster for its Scion debut.

The article stated this was an official announcement from Toyota corporate, but I guess there is still time for them to change their minds. The article seemed to imply that Toyota would continue to sell the Celica in the Japanese market.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I would be suprised that Toyota would take away a name like Celica. It belongs here with Camry, Corolla, and Land Cruiser.
    have been WAAAAY up and down over the years, and celica has never sold as well as integra (to name one close competitor)

in particular, the 90s were low sales years, and after the intial redesign in 2000, sales plummeted once again. Toyota doesn't usually sell such low-volume cars unless they are built here to keep them cheap.

basically, it is finally giving up on celica having a bounce back to 80s sales volumes. It is a shame though, as you say: its lineage is equal to that of corolla and land cruiser (Camry is a latecomer)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Camry may not have the lineage of those other nameplates, but it does carry a lot of power in the automotive industry. It would be a name you wouldn't see disappear unless Toyota pulls a '96 Taurus.
  • iluvmyceliiluvmyceli Member Posts: 3
    hey, I was a victim of a misshift in my 2000 gt-s 6 speed. My boyfriend (Now X obviously) misshifted very badly. Trying to go to 4th in a race, it slipped back into neutral while going about 75mph or so and he buried the rpm needle into 9 grand for about 2 seconds. I took it to soem toyota techs and so far I've paid 1,275 bucks to have 4 severely bent valves replaced. Two weeks later my check engine light is back on and I'm supposed to go get it fixed again.... the 6 speed celicas are notorious for this problem and Toyota NO LONGER has this problem under warrenty because it is occuring sooooo much. They say it's driver error. Life lesson: Lil boys shouldn't play with womens toys.
    the 6-speeds were notorious for having the gear slip back into neutral, though! :-P

I think the problem before the redesign was shifting down 4 gears by mistake instead of 2.

• iluvmyceliiluvmyceli Member Posts: 3
    yeah, that was the guys fault who was driving it. He's umm.. yeah.

nippononly, is there anyway you could e-mail me or give me your AIM screen name? I'd like to ask you some questions...
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    ...if you want other's to know your email address, mark it public in your profile. Please don't post your email address in the discussions. Thanks!
    my bad - sorry! :-(

I changed my profile to mark the e-mail public.

• guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Ok guys, wish to replace my under-seat Sirius tuner with a plug and play unit. Where can I put this darn thing in my 6-speed!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I was very dissapointed to hear that the Celica was going away. However, the new Scion is a heck of a replacement. If they can package this car for around 17-18, Toyota won't be able to keep them in the showrooms.

The best part is that it is a hatchback with room for 5 people.
    From where did this idea that the Celica would depart come? I have yet to see that announced by Toyota. Someone please enlighten me!
    in the "news" section of a couple of mags, including Auto Week, a good source. I think conservative Toyota has lost its way with this model - it likes models that consistently sell in large quantities, and doesn't know how to get that kind of sales from this model.

It's too bad, this is their longest lineage car in America (except for corolla, possibly?). If Honda can sell ten million Civic coupes each year, and cars like SRT and SVT Focus are out there, you would think Toyota could draw a bunch of sales from Celica.

Of course, SVT Focus is being cancelled for slow sales, and the SRT is only a niche-volume car, right?

It has also been mentioned in Motortrend.

I should think that Toyota would consider and be comfortable with the fact that the celica is a bit of a "halo" car, obviously NOT a breadwinner.

It's no Ford GT, but it does help boost Toyota's performance image, albeit at the a slight profit cost. If I had to point fingers anywhere, I would blame the creation of Scion. But it's silly of Toyota to try to push its hip, fun image out to Scion and then totally abandon Toyota's image as anything but family boxes.

Personally, I never had any problem with Toyota's image and never understood the need for Scion. IMO, consumers are driven to good products; brand name and brand image are secondary. Well, maybe brand name does make a difference when moving upscale.... but DOWNscale?
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    was conceived to sell relatively cheap(under 20k)vehicles to young people,hooking them onto Toyota Quality at a young age.Then when they get a bit more affluent,the thinking is they will move up to Toyota and Lexus.I guess the new brand name is meant to separate the cars from Toyota's somewhat stodgy,practical image.

The TC is pretty much what the replacement for the Celica was rumored to be-less edgy and robotic looking,appealing to a wider number of buyers.I like the interior,particularly the glass roof and the reclining rear seats are a nice touch.I also like the engine,with more horsepower(160),torque(163)and the 200 horsepower supercharger option.The styling is somewhat bland for a youth oriented car though,but so is the Civics,so you never know what's going to sell.

Being discontinued,I see the 2000-2004 Celicas getting cult car status if not becoming outright collectable.Much like the 88-91 CRX.
  • mbennett674mbennett674 Member Posts: 66
    I have a 2000 GT and the CEL has been on for a few months. Dealer keeps saying it is the gas cap, but I'm sure I'm tightening it properly. I find Toyota Dealers to be very unhelpful....this is the last Toyota I ever buy.

Anyone else have teh CEL issue?
    if the gas cap won't seal the filler neck properly any more, you will get the CEL even though you are tightening the gas cap. In this case, you need a new one.

• tnisace86tnisace86 Member Posts: 25
    I've heard horror stories about the manual transmission on the Celica GT-S. Then, I've heard that it's wonderful for a few. Is it truly horrible? Or is it one of those problems that can be worked out with practice?

Also, what is the potential for tuning out this vehicle? It would look very cool with a bodykit, but what of the engine?
    Every now and then, I'll have a hard time finding second gear or reverse, but otherwise no problems. Of course, my GT-S is the only manual I've ever driven so I can't really compare.

There are probably about 3 dozen body kits to choose from for the celica.

As for engine mods, the aftermarket was a little slow to catch on with the celica. Of course, there are plenty of intakes and exhausts out there, but major mods like turbos are pretty limited. It probably took at least 2-3 years before a handful of turbos were available for the 2000+ celica. I guess part of this is because the celica is not a huge-volume seller. More cars sold = more aftermarket vendors looking to make cash.
    What year is your celica? How is it? Does it provide enough bang for the buck? Just a little insight, looking into getting one.
  • birdlordbirdlord Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '01 Celica GT for 3 years now, bought new off the lot. I love the dependability of this car (this is my first Toyota) EXCEPT I find this car very dangerous in heavy rains and snow. It is blown around easily and I feel as if I have no traction. I was never "scared" to drive in inclement weather before and now I find myself white-knuckling the steering wheel and sweating when I'm highway driving in wet conditions. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe it's the OE tires (Dunlops)? I'd hate to consider trading this car in.
  • wscc1wscc1 Member Posts: 21
    In regard to the Celica (I have a 2000 GTS with 60K+ miles) in rain and snow, think tires. The Celica is a particularly light car with wide (very on the GTS with 16" wheels)tires. An OEM, worn or poor quality tire will have its problems in the rain and the Celica seems to wear tires quickly. High performance (summer) tires, even the best, are hopeless in snow, go with a full set of dedicated snow tires for reasonable traction. The Celica seems prone to side winds more than any other car I've own - again the light weight in a relatively large car and probably the "slab" sides are factors. On the transmission (6 speed): worse I've ever had. It is OK for normal driving but the ratios (especially first to second) and action kill the car for spirited driving or autocrossing.
    In the above statements, there seem to be some problems with the Celica. Of course, everyone knows that there isn't a perfect car. But for the Celica owners, are those problems bad enough to recommend another car? If yes, which car?
    I don't think there is any problem once you've been warned: This car costs a FORTUNE in tires. The snow tires comment is right on. I have new Michelin Pilots, the best tire available, and yep, because they are performance tires, they are TERRIBLE on slick surfaces, and dangerous with any snow at all. So, figure 2 years per set of tires, plus dedicated snow tires. YES, I would after 3 years of driving it prefer a 5-speed, that would probably be a great tranny with my GTS engine.

Check out every car available, then lets discuss. The bottom line is you need to be happy. I don't think there is a better looking car out there than my red GTS. Despite the pitfalls, I still love approaching it each time in the parking lot, and driving away in it.
  • mookie09mookie09 Member Posts: 3
    Every time I look at my Red 00 GTS I find another paint chip. Anybody else notice the same? Maybe I should just quit looking close.

Other than that the car is fun to drive although it is not gonna blow to many cars off the road.
    FYI, my GT-S is a 2000 with about 43,000 miles.

I'd have to agree with the complaints about the lousy bad-weather handling, but really that comes with any sport car or sporty car. It's just a tradeoff you have to deal with: less weight = better handling, better power/weight ratio, but lousy winter handling.

Tnisace86, where in the US are you? Are you in an area that gets a lot of snow? I have all-season, semi-performance tires, which handle very well in rain, and semi-sucky in the snow and ice (though still better than the stock tires). If you live in the snowbelt and you can only afford one car, you may want to consider a subaru or something like that.

I still love my celica. It has a lot to offer and is really unique on the roads.
    I live in Colorado. Love skiing. Also love quick cars. So, I'm deciding between the Celica, Mazda3 and RSX.
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    I own a 2003 Celica and agree with you and many other owners that the paint on these cars is about as thick as nail polish. I noticed front end paint chips within the first month I bought the car.The light, easily scratched plastic inside is also a bad thing but allows for the weight of the car to be around 2,425-2,450lbs. Very light for a car of this size and allows a 1.8 liter engine to be a decent performer because of power to weight ratios. But I really dont think light weight paper thin paint was used to save weight ,but actually just to be cheap and I think Toyota owners expect build quality to be excellent as this brand is usually. As for the 2004 I would love to get one before they are gone near the end of the year but this paint problem might keep me away.
    The RSX will have a lot of the same bad-weather handling characteristics of the celica since the general design philosophy is so similar.

The Mazda3 is a sweet little car. I'm surprised the Impreza is not on your shopping list. They're all great cars, and whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll love it and enjoy it. Good luck.
    Oops, I just looked at my post, and yes, I did forget to put the WRX on the list. I think that my mind is pretty much made up though. The other night, we just got roughly 3 inches of snow dumped on us within an hr or so, I had an absolutely nightmarish time driving through that muck. Probably going to go with the WRX, since it's the only one on my list with AWD.
    Speaking of nightmarish drives: The Celicas ABS prevents stopping at all on slick surfaces. It just keeps going, and going...I have my hand on the hand brake whenever dubious conditions are at hand!
    I am thinking of trading my 2000 GTS 6SP for a 2003 Mustang GT. Am I nuts?
    Realize you'll be tossing reliability out the window, and hopefully you won't own the car long enough to allow the squeaks and rattles to drive you insane. You'll have a great drivetrain, and nice looking car with fat wheels.

The bottom line: If it makes you happy, drive it.
    A lot of people have complained about the Celica squeaks and rattles but I have not noticed any on mine. I realize the Ford is not as reliable as the Toyota. The paint quality on my car is poor - the hood has chips all over it. I dont even drive it in the winter. I does fit like a glove however.

I test drove the Mustang today and it is defintely not as tight as the Celica. The instruments look dated as well. I really didnt test the stereo. The Mustang feels more like a mans car. I still get people commenting that the Celica is a chick car.
    Ironically I am a celica driver who found myself with a mustang rental car this week.

I'd definitely have to fault the mustang with a somewhat inferior design. Just the little details that Ford seemed to miss.

It took me about 20 minutes today to figure out how to turn off the interior dome light. The switch that controls the different settings (off, on, depends on door) is not on the light itself. So I figured it was on the light "knob" but pulling it, turning it, etc. seemed to achieve nothing besides dimming the console, flashing the headlights etc. etc. Finally it turned out that the passenger door was slightly ajar. So why wasn't there any sort of door-ajar indicator? Turns out there is, but it's just a slight noise that sounds once as the car is turned on. (I don't recall ever opening the passenger door) The car manual didn't help at all.

And for some odd reason, something is really messed up with the pedal placement. I am constantly getting my foot stuck on "something" down there everytime I try to place my foot on the accelerator or remove it. It's like an odd bulge in the carpeting. I drive all sorts of cars (including other Fords) and never had this issue before.

At any rate, I think it's fairly obvious what the GT has to offer over the celica. If that is the design philosphy you want, then go for it. Especially if you don't like the styling of the new mustang coming up (I don't).
    Folks, I didn't see a response to my one post.

Has anyone put a plug and play Satellite radio in their manual Celica? How about automatics? If so, where?!!?
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    Does anyone here know when the last year of the Celica will be made 2004 or 2005? Thanks
    projected to be '05 as things stand now, but who knows? Toyota may yet decide to make a new one for '06.

• nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    I think the Celica is done after this body style in 2005. I am thinking about getting one before they bow out. The Celicas just like the Supra out price themselves in the small sport car market.
  • machaanmachaan Member Posts: 30
    I am finding it hard to locate a 5-speed Celica with ABS. How long does it take if I order one from Japan. I am in FL. How is the pricing effected when I buy off the lot vs build-to-order?
    timelines can be very unpredictable with Toyota, and it is often hard to find a dealer willing to take a special order.

Yeah, celica is kind of overpriced considering that its segment has burgeoned with lots of excellent competition in the last few years. I can think of four or five better-equipped, higher-powered sport hatches that cost less than celica now. The Supra story was a little different: there you had a shrinking segment no-one could sell a car in any more, and then on top you had Toyota trying to sell an almost-supercar for top dollar.

• dmrasdmras Member Posts: 4
    The chrome trim piece above the Celica color keyed name plate over the license plate is starting to bubble and peel. Below the spoiler. It appears to be a matted finish paint over chrome. Now shiny chrome is emerging.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks....
  • itsmejerriitsmejerri Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Celica GT and had my oil changed at (Yes, Wal-mart). Everything was fine after the first change, but this last time, I got about 2 blocks away from the store and I noticed an excess of smoke rolling out from the hood. I thought they must of spilled some and it was just burning off, but it turned out not to be the case.
    After returning it twice, they told me that the oil filter adapter was leaking and assured me it wasn't from anything they did (of course). My question is, could it just of went bad, or could something they did of caused it? I never even hear of an oil filter adapter before. It's mounted to the engine and the filter is directly above it. Can anyone offer advice other than don't take it to Wal-mart for an oil change??? Is it fairly simple to repair? Thanks in advance.
  • sev6sev6 Member Posts: 26
    Dont' know. Anyway no one cares about the Celica anymore. The last post was a while ago. So...is there no more Celica after 05? Anybody have any hard facts? Thanks.
    looks that way, too bad Toyota never says anything for sure until they actually do it. But they have hinted it, and I think the Scion tC is supposed to replace it in the "Toyota family". More standard power and features for less money.

Itsmejerri, I would stop in Toyota, and have them peak at it, and ask for their advice. The oil filter adapter is the piece that the oil filter screws onto. If that is leaking where it mounts to the engine, then you can get an estimate for the repair. If this is the case, and it started after an oil change, I can only GUESS that perhaps they screwed the filter on so tight with a wrench, that they loosened the adapter, which may have decayed from age and/or rust, etc. Again, a competant person needs to look at it, and give an opinion, as we can only guess.

The dumb thing TOO many mechanics do is they screw the oil filter on too tight. It should be HAND TIGHT only, as it does tighten up further once it heats up. Just an aside, which may/may not have happened in your case.

Funny I'm reading your story, as a mechanic just left my mom's oil fill cap off, and she nearly suffocated with the oil fumes perpetrating the car. Screwing it back on solved the problem.

Let us know how it goes!
  • zelda6zelda6 Member Posts: 3
    Help! I have a 2001 Toyota Celica GT. I love it, but recently have noticed water in my trunk. It doesn't seem to be coming in from the top. Water accumulates in the wheel well. I don't always see it right after a rain storm. Anybody have same problem? I would appreciate any advice you all can offer.
    a clasic "old hatchback" problem, although I wouldn't expect you to have it on a four year old car. It is either the weatherstripping around the rear hatch or the taillight seals, even if both look intact. At least, odds are 99% it is one of those two, as long as you haven't been in a rear end accident of any kind.