Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    I turned my outside mirrors as far out as possible, so I can easily see just about anything coming up on me in the next lanes. I still have a little paranoia. However, unless some other driver does something very stupid, I feel I have a good hold on my view now.
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    I'll second both guitarzan and bstone2: visibility to sides and rear are bad. Spoiler makes things worse. I keep my mirrors adjusted out as far as they will go which works just fine in traffic. When backing up, you better be DAMN sure what's behind you and exactly where it is.

Other than that one glaring problem, I think the car is great.
  • coupe2001coupe2001 Member Posts: 100
    I took a trip and averaged 33.7 miles a gallon driving 80% highway and 20% city with 17" wheels.
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/imusss?d&.intl=us&.flabel=fld3&.src=ph
    First of all, do you have stick/auto? And how many miles? I've driven my car from 40 miles to the 700 it has now. Even on mostly freeway, I get 29 or so, and that is with 94 octane. So, I wonder if the mileage will improve somewhat/greatly. I have a stick, and to break it in, I've kept it between 2300 (try to never bog it by going too low during breakin) and, not sure without looking at the tach, about 4500 I think. So, without even engaging variable valve timing, mileage is low compared to yours, although just in the ballpark that I figured.

Can I talk about your pics?
    #1 The pics are GREAT. Many times, noonday pictures are TERRIBLE because they are washed out due to the son. Not these two. Especially the one on the shadow side of the car, that is cool.
    #2 I have to scroll to see the whole thing. Can you size it down to a normal screen? Me, I prefer 1024x768. Someone running at 800x600 might still have the same complaint. But my biased opinion is that nowadays, when so many have advanced video cards, 1024 is fair game.

#3 Do you remember your camera settings? Looks like you used low speed film (100?) because the image is PERFECTLY clear. I'm just curious also about the settings. I'd guess F16/1/125. Close?

#4 Who makes the wheels? They are excellent.
    I scrolled back and didn't see you mention them.

I see my ambiguity on dash protectants. I accidentally found the warning in my glove box, which said not to spray these things directly on the dash. I made an incorrect mental note from that.

You were right previously: I cannot believe how many people look and gaze at this car! Mine is red also.

Anyone know: I have to run an extra power wire for an electric antenna, right? Any opinions on the reception of the rubber one versus a long electric one? The stock one is long, but reception is average. Poor for my taste, actually, since I like several stations that are 60 miles away.
    I have a 5 speed. 391 miles traveled on 11.6 gallons of 87 octane in good ol' VA. She has 1400 miles on the odometer.The wheels are Focal F5's (www.focalwheels.com).

I toke the photos in a hurry with my Sony Digital Mavica which uses floppy disc's. I plan to take more photos after I have it waxed and detailed Saturday, and I will adjust my camera settings too.

Yeah, the power antenna needs power wire from the radio. The universal power ones run $60. Not sure about reception comparison, but I would think the power one would have the advantage. The rubber ones are a easy install, so you could try it out, and take it back if ya didn't like.
  • bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    Visibility issues is the reason why I didn't want a spoiler. It's hard enough to see out the back as it is!

Brenda
    I think you made a good call. Unfortunately, I had 'new caritis' and when I first laid eyes on my Spectra Blue Mica GTS, I just hadta have it. Overall, I love my car, but I'm seriously looking into the cost for a body shop to remove the rear spoiler and fill the holes in the body.

Anybody out there want a blue spoiler?
    I kinda like the somewhat obstructed views that the celica has. If you have a difficultly seeing out, then everyone else has difficulity seeing in. For instance, my seating position from the side looks as if noone is in the drivers seat.
    ?????

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I don't give a damn if someone else can see ME in the car while I'm driving or not. But I CERTAINLY want to be able to see what's behind me, beside me, etc.

Are you one of those guys who reclines the seat so far back that you are looking THROUGH the steering wheel while you drive?
    I feel sure there is no aftermarket for Celica spoilers. Perhaps the only hope would be to recycle it for some other use -- how about a garden ornament?

Brenda
    I wouldn't make that assumption. If all it takes is to drill 2 holes and install it, if a person sells the spoiler at less than the dealer would sell it, he might find a buyer.
    When the time comes, I'll probably just stick it on E-bay; people will buy all sorts of stuff over there.

Brenda - I doubt my wife would appreciate a big blue spoiler in with her tulips and whatever else she's got in there. Probably clash with the little garden gnomes and pick flamingos....
    I see very easily OVER the steering wheel, and I'm very comfortable reclined with my 6' 5" body stretched out.
    gooood gawwd.....6'5"? Yea, I guess you DO have to recline the seat a bit.
    It seems to me that most Celicas have spoilers already -- to find someone who doesn't have one, and wants one of your exact color, might be kind of hard. But I'd be interested to hear of any aftermarket for them. (One of the dealers I talked to tried to convince me that it would be perfectly OK to pay $800 for the spoiler I didn't want, and then have them take it off. I wouldn't bite.)

Brenda
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    Spoiler for $800??? It should be less than $500, and that includes fog lamps.
    Nope, that's the price listed by Toyota. And there are no fog lamps.

Brenda
    Well, according to Edmunds, the MSRP (2001 pricing) for the spoiler/fog light package for the GT is $540.

Are you in Canada?
    Nope, but I am relying on memory, which is less good these days.
    I think Brenda is trying to say that if you order a painted spoiler from the parts department for your spoilerless celica, you will pay $800. The TRD painted spoiler is almost $1400, so that sounds about right. However, it would be tough get retail for used parts. Probably worth about half.
    Who's asking retail? If I could get $200 for it, that would certainly be better than pitching it in the trash.

BTW - sawing a brand new Eclispe yesterday with a rear spoiler that looked like it came off of an F1 car: huge wing supported in the center (not ends, the center) by a pair of 24" high pylons. The car was a GS (not even a GT) and the driver was poking along at 57 in a 55, trying his best to pretend I wasn't there. What a goober.
    Roadroach, I'm forgetting: Is your car red?

Realize, if you haven't already, red paint is difficult, if impossible to match!
    Red? Nope, I've got the Spectra Blue Mica, same color as Edmund's long term GTS tester.

You realize, of course, that spectra blue is the BEST color for the Celica......8^)
    from previous posts, brenda said that the dealer told her she could remove the spoiler and sell it for $800. he was trying to get her to buy one off the lot instead of searching the east coast for a spoilerless celica.

my point was, noone is gonna pay $800 for a used spoiler, but that they do retail for that.

you should be able to get around $400 if it's in good shape.
    Typical salesperson. Has no idea what effort it might take to make the car look new after taking the spoiler off.

Unfortunately, many of us are in the same scenario. They loaded up my GTS, and many others I'm sure, with stupid options. Oh well. I was happy I got a good deal, and a car with 40 miles on it.

Roadroach, you realize, I constantly get comments like, "Boy is that red." Yep, absolutely red :P
    I've had red before but it faded like crazy. Of course, it was a Honda........

coupe2001 - when I get around to yanking the spoiler off (and paying a body shop an inordinate amount of money to fill the holes and paint rear deck), I'll probably stick the spoiler on e-bay. Would I take $400? Absolutely. But I honestly doubt I'll get much more than $200. Who knows.
    their's a black spoiler on ebay right now for $400. go figure!

Red will not fade if you keep it polished. Any paint will fade including spectra blue if it's not cared for. The owners manual tells ya to wax the car once a month. whew!
    LOL, coupe2001! There must be plenty of people out there taking the spoilers off their Celicas! I wonder what price it will actually fetch?

Brenda
  • dq1dq1 Member Posts: 44
    After having the A/C go on my '98 Jeep GCL (leased), I've decided that I'm getting a 2001 GT at the end of this month. It was between that and a 2001 Integra, which is equipped better for the price, but is so dated in appearance. The Celica is just gorgeous. Anyway, can anyone recommend a really good car cover? Something that will protect the car well from the elements. I'm in FL, so about the worst thing hear is rain, but I'd also like it to be thick enough to protect it from clumsy neighbors who have a hard time holding onto their doors when getting in and out of their cars.
    I got my custom fit cover from coverking.com. I found them to have the best prices. Lots of different materials to choose from too. I got the Tyvek plus.

If you order from them make sure you ask for a 2000 Celica cover. I made the mistake telling them I had a 2001 and we went round and round about whether it would fit or not. They didn't want to ship it cause they hadn't tried it on a 2K1 yet.
    You've GOT to stop having those magaritas with lunch.......
  • melissamelissa Member Posts: 27
    Thanks. I was testing the spell checker upgrades.
  • bluethunderbluethunder Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a GTS and wanted to know how these cars drive in snow and sleet. A friend of mine has an integra and it drives horrible in the snow even with front wheel drive.
    I had an Integra, then a CL. Both were LOUSY in the inclement weather up here in Cleveland. I agree with you wholly.

The 2000GTS performs quite well in poor road conditions. I don't know what the key is, but it feels like a perfectly balanced front/rear car, even though it is not. I am very please with the snow handling of this car.

Like all cars with low profile tires, it could use a dedicated set of snow tires. With the high gear ratios it could use better traction for safety overall. But like I said, overall performance is good.
    I have now Celica for second winter (Iowa), and we just had few days of nice freezing rain (kids love it - no school!). The car is very stable, unless you get into deeper snow. But I can compare only to full size rear drive Fords. On the other hand I have never had trouble with those too, except one case when I was visiting a farm and farmer made me make a turn into ditch - told me that there was a road under snow, but there was pure ice, road was 30 feet further. Anyway, since it was 15 years old full size ford he got me out with his 1958 tractor - it was fun, his tractor was probably lighter than Ford, so he accelerated and punched me into bumper, that would push my car a little bit forward but his tractor simply bounces back like a ball. One thing I can tell you - after that kind of excersize any japaniese car would be a pile of junk, but I could not find a scratch on my ford. So, if you have kids who love jumping on the roof of your car and sliding down windshield - buy an old ford.
    "So, if you have kids who love jumping on the roof of your car and sliding down windshield - buy an old ford."

Ummm, wouldn't it be more effective to simply NOT let the kids jump on the roof of the car?

Oh, wait, I see. You meant as a permanent piece of playground equipment, buy an old Ford. OK, gotcha.....
    There are 3 ways to have things done:
    1. Do it yourself.
    2. Pay someone to do it for you.
    3. Tell your kids not to do it.
  • dq1dq1 Member Posts: 44
    I just got my '01 Celica GT, and it's truly incredible. Liquid silver, spoiler, Enkei wheels, etc... It grabs the curves great. I'm wondering if anyone out there has installed the TRD exhaust on a GT? On the TRDsportparts web page, they claim it adds 14hp. Is that true and is there a noticeable increase in acceleration? Also, does it require the air/fuel mix to be changed since it's flowing more air?
    lol!

Ain't that the truth....
    I believe TRD exhaust could add some hp only at high rpm. But GT pulls pretty good at high rpm anyway. Besides, GTS takes more air to get its 180 hp, so there is no way you get 14 hp on GT. Further, losses in exhaust are not simply proportional to air flow (see, for example, aerodynamic losses as function of speed), so don't be surprised if you get only 5-7 hp. Now apply it to 5000-7000 rpm range only and I don't see much of advantage aside from the noise and getting rid of some money. I don't know if it really gives much even for GTS, it is not 14 hp at all rpm's, only at highest.
  • tomektomek Member Posts: 20
    Hi, I live in Buffalo, NY, I really love the performance and styling of the GTS, however at 6'3 I am kind of cramped(meaning my hair touches thee roof), does anyone know if it is possible to get the GTS without the Sunroof, the local Toyota Dealer said that All of the GTSs just come this way, however it is described as an option by toyota?
    So is it possible to get one without the sunroof ?
    Absolutely. I've seen at least two GTS Celicas w/o the sunroof sitting on dealer lots when I've had my car in for routine service. Yes, they are rare, but they ARE out there. Personally, I think your dealer is too lazy to find the car you want.

Have you located a GT w/o the sunroof to try on for size? It would be a shame if you browbeat a salesman into locating a GTS w/o sunroof for you only to find that it doesn't fit either.
    where are the dealers you are talking about ?
    Is it possible to get one without a sunroof and with the leather ?
    well thanks for the GT-Tip, I will do that actually tomorrow
    It took a vast amount of searching on the part of my dealer, but I got a Celica without a sunroof AND without a spoiler. It is possible for them to search the inventory of all the Toyota dealers in your region. Just be stubborn. (And, if you live near the border of the regions, cross over and ask a dealer in the other region too.)

Brenda
    does yours have leather too ?
    Did you still get to choose the color ?
    W/o the sunroof but with leather? Hmmmmm, might be a tough combination. You may have to have one built to order for that combo. Both of the cars I saw w/o the sunroof were essentially stripper cars (no sunroof, no leather, no spoiler, no ABS, not even the 16" rim upgrade). They were not on the lot at the same time; I saw them on different trips to the dealer. Do you really need the leather? You may have to check around (hard) to find a dealer that will bother to doing a build to order car for you. I couldn't find anybody here in Texas (Gulf States Toyota region) to do a build car.

BTW - the dealer I saw who had these stripper GTS's is in Austin. That maybe a little out of your area.....
    The only option my car came with was Cruise Control/Power Windows and some floor mats. I would have liked to have gotten ABS and side airbags, but I would have had to order it built for me and shipped from Japan. Luckily the one the dealer found for me was my favorite color, red. I am now driving the only spoiler-less red Celica in a six-state area.

Brenda
  • lesterinindylesterinindy Member Posts: 6
    Just an update, I have had my celica for almost a full year now (10,900 miles) and still enjoy it every time I drive the car. I have been impressed to find out that a car that I felt was not loaded enough (everyone seems to have the sunroof and spoiler and mine has neither) is the car to have. Mine is a gt in "come and bust me,I will be speeding or have been speeding, Red". I have had no mechanical problems at all and still get around 36 to 37 mpg on my combination city and highway daily commute. My only dislike in the car is the way it handles in the snow. This car is soo light that it tends to chart its own course instead of the one that I would have it take. But then again if I wanted to have a car for the snow. . .I would be better off in an SUV. Just wanted to tell the world of my continuing joy in my little red car.
  • mrnice17mrnice17 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what is the website for TRD ...
    it is www.trdusa.com