Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• zombozombo Posts: 89
    Run from this car,run like the wind!No one donates a decent sporty car to charity that isn't a money pit.Your $1200 car could easily run twice that amount in repairs.Buy with your head,not your heart!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    donated his '86 GT-S to charity a couple of years back. It was still a daily driver but required MAJOR attention - needed $3000 in repairs if it needed a dime. Axles, P/S pump and hoses, about a hundred seals and gaskets, struts and brakes. The factory paint was shot on all the horizontal surfaces. If it weren't for the fact that the body was straight (no accidents) and the interior was in good shape, the car would have been totally worthless. As it was, it still wasn't worth the $3K in repairs, but it only had about 150K in miles, so if you picked it up for a few hundred at the auctions and could do most of the work yourself, it would make a decent project car.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• My 91 GT has 185,500 on it. I expect to see 200,000 on it sometime in late spring.

I haven't driven a new tC, but I have seen several. Rear seat room looks nice, but at a cost to the hatchback area. I have heard that the blind spot is awful (but so is my car).

It's amazing that Toyota is going to kill the Celica, but you can have a Corolla XRS with the same engine. Remember the Geo Prism GSI sharing the same engine with the Corolla GT-S and MR-2?

I still think that Toyota is making a serious mistake killing off the Celica. This goes for the name and the image. After 2005, just think there is always a 2 door Echo in the Toyota lineup (unless the Scion xA takes over its market share). It looks like the Solara will win the new 2-door sales race (among Toyota).
    cruisers like the Solara are a very profitable niche for a small handful of car companies (mainly Toyota and Chrysler), so its future is assured for some time.

The Echo is going to be dead just as soon as Toyota can manage it. It never sold well, completely missed its intended target audience, and faced way too much competition in the subcompact segment that was all better-equipped at lower prices.

When Celica was first introduced decades ago, it was a bare bones coupe with decently sporty handling and engine for a low price. It was in a class of one. Nowadays, everybody and their mother makes their inexpensive cars well-appointed, and the sport coupe segment is well developed with many worthy entrants. And Toyota has developed into a highly regarded carmaker that can routinely charge a 10% premium on its car's stickers.

So, you have Celica trying to compete today with a 10% higher sticker in a flooded segment with well-appointed cars. I mean, almost $18K base price with wind-down windows? I happen to like wind-down windows but I know I am in a tiny minority on that one!

What is sad to me, since I happen to think Celica is a great nameplate, is that Toyota could pop out a tC, which is super-well appointed with a high-moderate power rating for its segment, for $16,5, but couldn't revise the Celica to be more competitive. What they should have done is increase power by 15-20% in the Celica, and load it up with features considered standard nowadays to carmakers like Hyundai and Ford (!!), and then keep the price the same.

But I am sure they felt they needed a sport coupe for the Scion brand, and probably didn't want to (a) call the next Celica a Scion; it has always been a Toyota, and (b) didn't want to have two models competing directly for what is a small market niche.

Interestingly, they may face this same dilemma when it comes time to revise the Matrix. Will they call the 2nd gen a Scion? That is what it should have been, but it predated the Scion debut by a year. Will they cancel the Matrix entirely and give Scion a new sport crossover? Or will they continue the Matrix as a Toyota?

Too bad marketing decisions limit our choices for great small sporty cars.

• zingerzinger Posts: 61
    I am thinking of trading my 2000 GTS 6 speed for a 2004 GTO 6 SP. I tested it and the torque is awesome and the handling isnt bad but it is no match for the GTS. Totally different cars and each has its ggod and bad points. The GTO sits up a little higher and does feel more solid and has a bigger backseat.

Anybody dump their Celica and regret it?
    and DIDN'T regret it, if that helps. But I went to a similar car, not the opposite end of the spectrum, like the GTO. If I were looking at a car like that, I think I would save about $5K or more and get the new Mustang GT - similar acceleration to the '04 Goat (before they went to 400 hp for '05) I am sure, and probably better handling due to being smaller. Also less depreciation.

But they are having a really hard time sellling GTOs, so maybe you can get one for a steal.

What car did you get? The dealers are hung with 6SP GTO's and now they are almost 1 year old and really should be discounted more. Today I got a quote for $24,700 including the $3500 GMAC rebate.

Problem is my GTS will probably get $10K-12K on trade. I am having a hard time doing it - even if it was straight up price wise I would still having second thoughts. My 2000 is mint and looks new.
    at the time I wanted a Matrix so bad I could taste it, so I swapped the Celica (a one year old '02 model) for a Matrix. 18 months later I was so over that car, and now I have an RSX. This one's a keeper. :-)

What car did you get? The dealers are hung with 6SP GTO's and now they are almost 1 year old and really should be discounted more. Today I got a quote for $24,700 including the $3500 GMAC rebate.

Problem is my GTS will probably get $10K-12K on trade. I am having a hard time doing it - even if it was straight up price wise I would still having second thoughts. My 2000 is mint and looks new.
  • tlcmantlcman Posts: 220
    Hi all, I am a Toyota lover, and have been trying to find a car (with the help of my son) to help him purchase as a graduation present. Hes been looking all around and has about 5,000 to spend. Hes been to the SC lexus's decided up keep was to hefty, he likes the 1995 Saab 900 turbo... but like a typical swedish person those cars are picky and you dont know what you will replace. Then he came across the mid 90's celica and stuck on it. I was expecting him to find some drag racer, but since the GT 5 speed that he is trying to find only has 130 HP im a bit less worried. I too like the lines of this car, but thats besides the point. What kind of problems cn he expect to run into with this car, estemating around 100,000 miles. Lets say it has been properly maintained. Can any one help me here? Also are they a true dedicated sport coupe? can they hold there own in the world of bigger faster more powerfull cars? Also is there a limiter on the speed of this car? im not to worried about it but for example my honda had a speed limiter kick in at 125mph
    thanks
    -mike
    to see if there was a speed limiter, but I had a friend whose ('95, '96?) Celica GT I used to borrow quite a bit, and this car was definitely style over substance, like many of the Celicas between the mid-80s and the Y2K model.

"Also are they a true dedicated sport coupe? can they hold there own in the world of bigger faster more powerfull cars?"
    They are coupes certainly. Their performance envelope is roughly the equivalent of the present-day Corolla, with 20% better handling when the car was new, but probably about equal now given the 100K miles on the Celica. Corollas can hold their own certainly, and the Celica will be OK too. The mid-90s Celica was one of the porkiest ones ever. On the plus side. the GTs mostly had ABS, which is a good thing.

"What kind of problems cn he expect to run into with this car, estemating around 100,000 miles."
    Check those CV boots! Also, that model still had a timing belt due for replacement at 90-105K, so check it has been done or factor it into the cost of the car. That gen of Calica was a fairly low-sales one, so there aren't enough of them out there for them to get a "rep" for systemic problem areas.

• Yes, the Celica loses a huge percentage of value.
    Zinger, someone proposed to me that once the Celicas are no longer available, the used prices will go up significantly. What do you guys think?

I think it is hard to pawn off a car whose standard tire is a summer tire that lasts 15k miles.

My car has 45,000 miles. The hatch doesn't stay up, never did. When new, they replaced one shock. I came back, they replaced the other. As soon as the weather got cold, the hatch would fall down. I went to the dealer, let them know that I think the parts are faulty, that they never worked. The service manager is going to pay for 2 new shocks. Wouldn't be a big deal, except the parts are $110 a piece!

I just found a TSB on this, so it was a known problem, although the dealer didn't know of this bulletin. (Makes me wonder!) I'll give a copy to the dealer, to help them get paid for the repair (?).

Anyone know if a scratched moonroof can be repaired?

No permanent snow yet. Winter tires still in a pile!
    I was referring to the Pontiac GTO taking a huge depreciation hit after I drive it off the lot buying it new. I was going to trade my 2000 GTS 6SP but have decided to probably just keep it. It just handles too damn good to give up.

But my hatch is rattling over bumps and that is very annoying - I am going to take it in to the dealer to see if they can fix. They quoted me $100 per hour to fix.

The Celica is basically a go kart and just as much fun.
  • Didn't you write this? "Problem is my GTS will probably get $10K-12K on trade. I am having a hard time doing it - even if it was straight up price wise I would still having second thoughts. My 2000 is mint and looks new."===absolutely! Don't worry about the GTO, because values on the Celicas are lousy too!

I was window shopping recently...the dealer started by offering me $9,000 for my GTS with 40K.They brought the offer up...but sheesh!

Is it your hatch rattling? When I inflated my tires just a little more, it began sounding like the swiveling cargo cover began jumping on bumps. You would think the hatch would sandwich it tight enough where it couldn't move up and down. Anyway, that's what I suspect my sound is, but not sure.
    is putting it mildly. There is nothing anywhere close to the Celica's price range that has such sharp, perfect handling (Mini comes closest, but Celica is the king). Now if only they had made the powerband with the valve lift a little wider than 6200-7800 rpm. And maybe reduced the sticker JUST a tidge...

It will be weird when the Celica is gone and the Matrix and Corolla XRS with (almost) the same powertrain are still around.

Yup - you dont realize how good it is until you get into something else. I tested the GTO for 24 hours which all the mags say has good handling. It feels like a school bus compared to GTS. GM is now offering $5K rebate on the GTO! Id buy it if I didnt have the GTS. If I did more highway driving the GTO would be the way to go but for whipping around town the Celica is more fun.

It is unfortunate Toyota didnt put some advertising behind the Celica. But it is really a small market I guess. Im 39 with 3 kids and I am the only one in it 99% of the time. Winter beater is a 94 Cutlass and we also have a Town and Country Minivan for the family. Life is too short not to drive a car that makes things interesting. I do think though that the GTO would be more fitting for someone of my age group however because at times I feel like grandpa in the GTS.
    over in the Civic SI thread someone who is 35 was saying something similar. Both cars look very young. That fact contributed to my selling mine after such a short stay with me. I had owned a number of used Celicas but never a new one, so I bought one "on instinct" when the 0% 5-year financing was available briefly around Christmas '01. But in the months I had it I got many many comments from co-workers, friends, and others about how I was "trying to regain my youth" and all this other stuff (I am 35 also), and eventually the good-natured ribbing just got a bit tiresome!
    :-)

So now I picked an RSX, the "grown-up's version" of the Civic SI and a really nice car, but one that definitely has inferior handling to that Celica. It's OK though, it has other characteristics (besides looks) that give it the edge. And now I don't get those comments any more...

I bought mine used in Jan 02 for 16700. Leather loaded 6 SP 22K miles perfect condition. I tested the RSX a year ago just to compare it with the Celica because it was rated overall higher. I decided to stick with mine. I have gotten some comments too. I dislike more the plastic interior and plastic wheel wells. The stereo does crank pretty good and I think I am going deaf from it. The car definitely draws alot of attention which I can do without. The guy from Pontiac keeps calling!
    your personality of course. Some people want to stand out and get peoples' attention, and there is nothing wrong with that. Me, I am a blend into the woodwork kind of person! :-)

The Celica had too much interior plastic for me too. Hard, kinda cheap plastic. The RSX doesn't have that, but I wouldn't mind if my car had the auto-open and cloe moonroof that the Celica has. And ohhhhh, that Celica's handling!

• i'm trying to find an 05 celica gts. dealers tell me (1)it was discontinued in 04 to make room for scion (2)they will try to find one but not shipped to northeast this year (3) nobody wants it so they won't look for it.

Toyota consumer svc (got number from a dealer) told me (1)yes it is in production (2)it isn't being shipped to northeast but dealers can ask for a 'preference' with a dealer who has it elsewhere and get it shipped (3)they're sorry, it's being eliminated for the scion which is selling "so so".

If i don't get a celica (i love that car), what is comparable in anyone's experience. i'm considering a mitsubishi eclipse but haven't test driven it yet...oh...i'm also getting similar stories about that car,though one dealer in my area has 5 on his lot. i heard the eclipse is being discontinued next year also, and another dealer told me the 06 eclipse is in production and supposed to come out in April-June instead of September, they pushed up production. Is anyone telling the truth? i need a new car in March or so. i'm not fond of Ford's though i hear the new Mustang is good. help.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    They are making 2005 Celicas but I'm sure the number is small so they will be hard to find. A dealer should be willing to do a dealer trade to get one if they want to sell you a car. Go to another dealer if that one won't work with you. If you really want a Toyota, you might want to look into the Scion TC, which is more or less the new Celica. It may only have 160 hp, but the larger 2.4 liter engine provides much better torque and is within a few tenths of a second of the performance of the GTS.

The Eclipse is about to be redesigned. It's not being discontinued. An all new car with a supposed 260 hp 3.8 V6 will be introduced at the Detroit auto show tomorrow and should be available on the lots around April or May. You could get an excelllent deal on leftover 04 or 05 Eclipses, but the new 06 should be a much better car. But with the V6, this car is a totally different flavor from the Celica and TC.

Another good option is the Tiburon GT-V6. The days of the unreliable Hyundai are long gone. The Tib's fit and finish is excellent and other then early 03 models, reliability has been very good. I used to own an 03 V6 and it was a great car. It never saw the dealer for any repairs in the year and half I owned it. It also retains pretty good resale.
  • zombozombo Posts: 89
    I recently sat in a TC at the local Toyota dealer,when my Matrix was in for service.Interior fit and finish is very nice,but it's truly a midget mobile designed for the Japanese home market!At 6"3"the top of my head actually stuck partially through the sunroof!That,combined with the extra weight it carries around,giving it so-so gas mileage, make it a very poor replacement for the Celica!
  • I am 6'0 and could not fit or get comfortable in it. I can get comfortable in the 05 Celica though.
    month's MT for a quick run-down of what they think of the tC as a replacement of the Celica. It loses out in a field of five - the only one they seem to like less is the Focus ST sedan (no surprise there!). Basically they call the tC a jack of all trades, master of none. The Celica was a focused sporty coupe. *tear in my eye*

• I have to change my answer. I finally did drive the tC and I did adjust the seat all the way down. Now I could not only fit but I was comfortable as well.

I wonder how comfortable those 00-05 Celicas are on a long trip.

Coming from a 91 Celica GT, I have already noticed that neither car isn't quite to the same standards (just comparing the drivers seat). With 191,000 on the odometer, the durablilty of the interior is just amazing. Looks like it came off the showroom floor.

However, the Celica is being sold in a couple days. I hope I can find a newer one to my liking.
    if you want a new one, you had better go get it before June, which is when the last of the new ones will head to dealers.

There was a Celica in the parking lot at the drug store today that was completely TRD'ed out, and had these ENORMOUS rims on it, they were painted white and had to be 18s or maybe 19s. As sharp as the handling already is on this car, I just can't imagine spending a ton of money on much bigger rims. It would be better spent on stuff to make it accelerate faster.

• Yea, (2000 GTS) I agree. Just my opinion, but I think those huge tires are just going to exaggerate the effects of front wheel drive and 60/40 weight ratios of these types of cars. The car does hairpin turns with the 16" tires. Add a few pounds of air to stiffen them up, and, well, I feel I have a roadcourse-worthy car.

Fit and finish-something I saw on a friend's 1990's Celica, the "Fish-nose" model, whatever years those were, and am seeing on my 2000 - one of the 2 hinges on the gas tank door has rusted profoundly, and the door sticks, squeaks, doesn't seem to be aligned properly. I don't see it-but I would think this would be an NHTSA issue, having to do with the emissions, and should be fixed for free.

Tundradude-This is a tough car to ride in, period. It is so low, it is difficult to get in and out of. The seats do not provide lateral stability. Low back support is putrid. Some days I feel great physically, take a 15 minute ride, and get out feeling like a hospital stay is needed.

Aside from the quirks, I LOVE this car. Any DRIVER should.

Someday I gotta put in a radio that can interface directly with Sirius, and also play mp3's. Doesn't need FM, haha, never use that anymore.
  • dd123dd123 Posts: 52
    Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying this Celica.

It is 91 model/135k miles/ red in color.

Paint seems to be faded but otherwise car looks in pretty good condition.

It is manual with 5 gears.

The manual shifts very smooth and with short throws.

I think it is turbo with 2.2L engine and Power SunRoof.

The asking price is $1600 with new tyres and new cd player.

Is it a good deal?

I have heard that one should not buy turbo engines as they dont last long and give lots of trouble.

I really like the car but scared to make a deal as I dont really have much time for repairs.

Are Celicas usually quite reliable

PLz reply asap

Thanks

DD
    are usually enormously reliable, with perhaps the exception of the Turbo All-Tracs. However, I would question whether you are really talking about one of those, which are quite rare and sought after and would likely cost a lot more than $1600 (unless it is totally trashed, which doesn't sound like it is the case). Not to mention, the turbos were 2.0L, whereas the GTs and GTSs were 2.2L.

So my guess is you are talking about a (non-turbo) GTS, in which case I would say jump in without a care, assuming it drives fine with no funny noises or smells. They are very reliable and fun to boot, and at $1600 you can't really take a dunking if you've done the usual used car checks and not come up with anything.