Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• sandydebsandydeb Member Posts: 19
    did some research on the net and realised that my engine DOES ping.. so is this like some kinda serious problem? at places they have said that one should switch to premium fuel.. i always use premium fuel.. will i be able to get the toyota people cover this under their warranty? my car is 20 months old and has 16k miles.. i hate to go to non-toyota mechanics but the people at the showroom are too pricey.. they completely empty your wallets even to take a look at the car :( ne suggestions?
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Minor point: premium is not a "better" fuel. If an engine is not setup to use high octane gas, then it will not burn completely, and will actually cause negative effects.

You know, my GTS with 40k is pinging a little bit. I was wondering about the plugs in it, and thought I may try changing them soon. I also wonder if the 5w30 synthetic oil has any negative effect.
  • nomore1nomore1 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone else have a problem with excessive sulfur smell from the Cat Conv. When I run mine hard, which I usually do right before I enter my neighborhood, the smell is horrible when I shut it off in the garage. Toyota says it's normal, and that most small engine toyotas do it.
    When my camaro had this problem the Cat was bad. However it caused the engine to overheat as well.
  • jscevjscev Member Posts: 36
    I had a noise also on my 02 GT. It wasnt so much of a rattling noise though. But i could hear it at low rpms. I had it looked at and they said it was an exaust leak except i had pretty much just put magnaflow catback exhaust on, so it wasnt in the back end of the exaust. i ended up having to replace my manifold. I put a DC Sports header on. fixed the noise. Also gave it alot more low end power. I have no more bogging anymore. i also have an Injen intake on it. Im sure since you have the gts model it would be much more quick and powerful then my gt if you put the header on your car.
    Has anyone seen the reviews on the 06 Civic Si? Looks like a pretty nice car Honda is coming out with. I am a Chevy person and i Love the new Cobalt. I think the Cobalt SS is the only way to go. I am also waiting for this car to come out. Yet even though I love chevys i own an 02 Celica GT. It would be hard to give it up because i have put so much into it and its such a blast to drive.
    What do you ppl think about these 2 new cars compared to the Celica? I feel that the Civic Si would take the top spot. As long as it stays close to what the "concept" has to offer.
    But for now i am satisfied with my Celica. I think it is close to one of the best cars i have ever driven. i am a valet at an high class restaurant and i have driven many cars. but im not comparing to BMW's Porches, and whatnot
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I think it is close to one of the best cars i have ever driven. i am a valet at an high class restaurant and i have driven many cars."

Hmmmmm, just how extensive of a test drive does the typical valet get?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Aaah, what valets do that you never know about! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I think there are some things I'm just better off not knowing.... :mad:
    Well even not driviong the car far you can get the feel of how the car is. Anyways, back to what i was trying to ask of what you ppl thought about comparing the 06 Civic Si vs Cobalt SS and throw in the Celica
    Just yankin' your chain a bit; I knew what you were 'driving' at.

Personally, I can't compare the three. Don't know a thing about the '06 Civic (outside of some photos of a 'concept' at a car show) but it should be screwed together well and the 2.0 out of the RSX should give it decent performance. Ordinarily, I wouldn't look twice at a small car put out by GM, but I've heard good things about the Cobalt; could be worth a look.

Obviously, people in this thread (myself included) are going to be a bit biased towards the Celica (particularly in GTS form). While I would imagine the '06 Civic and particularly a Cobalt SS would have the upper hand as far as acceleration goes (more grunt), the Celica has uncanny steering response and phenomenal brakes. It is very well balance in rapid transitions and is not shy showing some slight oversteer in off throttle situations. I particularly like the high speed cloverleafs and the u-turn lanes under interstates where I can get the car to take a set and then steer it through the turn using the throttle.
    will be supercharged, so there will be MUCH more low-end torque than either of thse other two. The Civic will probably be the most balanced all-around car, whereas the Celica as we all know is by far the best handler.

The Cobalt is a little car that drives like a big car, and in my head I am trying to imagine that feel combined with the "rock hard riding on rails, jittery and crashy all over the place" feel of the Ion Redline, which I imagine will share lots of parts under the chassis with the Cobalt SS. I am not sure what the result would be, but I imagine the Cobalt would be easier to commute in every day than the Ion. But a whole lot less easy than in the Civic.

I don't get this though: this is a comparison between a new '06 Cobalt or Civic and a Celica that would have to be used by then? Or would you just be keeping the Celica you already have, and adding some power or something?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I thought superchargers were more for high end.. eitherway, i havent decided if i want to keep my celica or get the new civic si. i guess i will have to decide when i test drive the civic si. i may hate it. i want something with more power. and theres not much left to do to my celica to make it get more powerful. i have the gt model. i have magnaflow catback exhaust, injen intake, and dc sports header. i mean i could turbo it and whatnot but that is a lot of money, then i would have to change the compression and do all that. if the new civic si comes out liek they mention it will have 200 hp w/o all the intake exhaust and header..my celica with all if this only has about 150hp hp. i was just throwing in the cobalt because i like it but i wouldnt buy it because it wouldnt last as long as the civic or my celica, and since i travel back and forth from college to home often i want something that gets good gas milage. so i guess i'll have to wait till whenever that civic may come out...who knows maybe another car may catch my eye.. but i do love my celica so its a tough choice..i wish i had the gts model like most of you seem to have.
    Superchargers are pulley-driven, so they kick in as soon as the engine begins accelerating, very quickly forcing a large volume of air into the cylinders. The result is a great deal more power in the low end.

Turbo chargers are effective in the high end. The engine has to rev up, to drive the exhaust, which in turn drives the turbos.
  • bthompson3bthompson3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, got a question for you car savvy types, I've got an 82 Celica Supra and it's getting to its last legs :sick: , I was considering looking for a new engine to pop in it and was wondering if there are any 5 speed manual TRD drivetrains that would fit in it??
    Thanks
    a small engine - don't think TRD was doing anything that far back, was it? Sorry. Replace it with a '93! :-)

• pinksparkpinkspark Member Posts: 2
    A host moved my message, so I guess I will have to start all over again. Ugh!

"Hi. Ok... I really want a Toyota Celica, and Ive found a few that I could be interested in. Im 19, just finishing up my first year in college, and I want something that will last me the next 3 or 4 years and even beyond. My question is, is a 95 GT convertible with 84,000 miles going to do the trick? Will it last? Some reviews Ive read say that the 95 is excellent mechanically, but Id really like some advice from people who know about this kindof car stuff. Also, my budget is around $10,000 and the asking price for this car is $7,500."
    that gen shared the 2.2L 4-cyl engine with the Camry after '97. So yes, it has been very sound mechanically. In the Camry, many of the older 4-cyls have developed hardened valve seals around the 100K mark. Expensive to replace, no big deal if you don't but you will see smoke on cold start-up.

$7500 is an OK price for this car, make sure the top is new or nearly so. If it is not, expect rattiness and leaks on every rainy day - that quickly becomes a problem, and tops aren't that cheap to replace. This car has a 90K-mile timing belt, so factor that in.

As mentioned in your other topic before it was closed, unless you are set on a convertible, $7500-10,000 can buy you a whole lot more car than this, including a 100K-mile, 5-year-old version of the Celica that is still being sold until later this year. Or a Corolla (for instance) with a lot less miles than that. Or a 1-year-old Cavalier LS coupe (ah yes!). :-)

I live in Maine and every car up here is more pricy. but i bought a 2002 Celica GT with 66K on it in Rhode Island for $10,000. im sure if you shopped around more you could do better then the 95 Celica GT.
  • 123celica456123celica456 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 92 Toyota Celica and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if 17x8 inch wheels will fit. Wanted to see if anyone new before i bought them.
    I have an 02 Celica GT and i was goin to put some rims the were 17x8 and they would have fit, if the lug patter matched. but they didnt..the rims i had came off my first car. i was just messing aorund to see if they would fit. they would have though. But if you call the company that you are buying them from they should be able to tell you. but for good deals on wheel and tire packages take a look at www.wheelmax.com
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Hi gang, I would like to know if any of you knows how much I should pay a shop to replace my front pads and the front rotors (I am supplying the parts) on my 1994 Celica ST, Hachtback?

He also recommended that I "turn" my rear drums? Any idea what this means (sorry I am mechanically impair), isnt better to replace them??? How much should I also pay to have them "turn" or replace?

I want to make sure that they don't overcharge me on the labor, since I did not buy the parts from them. Also, if any of you know how long it should take them (labor hours), since they post their labor rate, I could more or less estimate how much the job will be.

Thanks all

R
    of rotors and pads - total of the hardware is around $100 depending on what parts your mechanic uses (Toyota pads and rotors will cost more), and labor in my area would be another $150 or so. Turning rear brakes is pretty rare with drums, I probably wouldn't bother unless they could give you a really compelling reason to do it. The fronts do 90% of the braking anyway. And there is no need to replace perfectly good brake drums - just wasted $$.

• rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Thanks nippononly, I actually will suppy the brake pads and rotors, so i will be paying only for the labor. So I guess if the labor falls withing 100-150 then I should be find.

thanks again for the input

R
    How fast has everyone gotten there Celica up to
    Under severe risk of ending up in jail, I once took my 03 GTS upto 120. It was about 3 in the night and I was on an interstate. A Tiburon guy was messing around and egged me on to it. Didnt continue for too long though, and thankfully so :)
    to the southwest sometime - like I-10 west of Las Cruces. 150 miles of wide open road - I maintained 120 mph for an hour. What IS the top speed on the GTS?

Be thankful you didn't encounter a mule deer at those speeds. There ARE a few of them in southern New Mexico.....
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Personally, I've only gone over 100 mph a handful of times. From other owners, I understand that both the GT and GT-S top out at around 140 mph.
    I am thankful! :-)

The road is straight and wide, towns are rare, in fact even entries/exits are rare, and there is hardly a soul on the road out there. Even trucks aren't very common, surprising given that it is an interstate.

The reason I mentioned the muledeer is because many years back I had a close call with one in an '84 Supra on I-10 about 1/2 hour west of Van Horn, Texas. It was about 4:30 a.m. and I was cruising at around 85 about 1/2 awake when one flashed through my headlights. I was past him before I could even THINK about reacting. :surprise: :surprise:
    Both the door handles (outside ones) on my 03 GTS make a very irritating rattling / humming sound when the JBL stereo is pumped slightly up and the bass is on full. The service center guys told me that the bolts can only be tightened from the inside. Does anyone know of some place from where I can get instructions on how to take off the door panels to access those bolts? I have done this on my older car but that never has power windows, power door locks, power mirrors or absolutely power anything at all :D Thanks!
    Well personally i think my 02 Celica GT could have gone faster then 140. i had mine up to 130 mph for a few sec but didnt want to fly by a spot that police usually sit at so i gave myself some room to slow down just incase. i think she still had a whole lot left to go. So im sure everyone elses could do the same. i do have a dc sport header, injen intake. and magnaflow catback exhaust so maybe it helped my car to excellerate faster at the rpm's being travled at. i dont know if anyone here has mods on there celica.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    As one of the first owners of a 2000 Celica GT with 62,000 miles I have been very pleased with the reliability and handling of the car.

The MSRP of my car was approximately $19,600 in 2000 and I purchased the car for about $18,100.

Now Toyota releases the Scion Tc which is really the replacement for the Celica with many more standard features, a larger engine, moonroof, 4 wheel disc brakes, seventeen inch aluminum wheels etc., etc., for a MSRP of about $17,200 with automatic transmission.

If we take into account inflation or the debasement of our currency in 2000 dollars the Scion is priced at around $14,000 dollars.

This is an amazing value and Korean car manufactures should be concerned about Toyotas amazing value equation here with the Tc. Well done Toyota and I cant wait for the new FJ Cruiser but please change the name.
    there is no question the tC is a great value for the buck, but I believe it would be more like $15,5 in year 2000 dollars. :-)

Are you contemplating getting a tC to replace the Celica?

I also like what I have seen of the new FJ slated to come out next spring, but don't expect these kind of low prices on that model.

• rjsavinorjsavino Member Posts: 3
    My celica first had an engine light go bad at about 58K miles. My dealer looked into it and found the cat converter needed to be replaced (just an emissions issue). Since that point forward, my oil consumption, which was completely normal, shot down to approx 2 to 3 quarts every 1K miles. At 81K now, and my dealer is telling me I have to replace the engine at $3500 (says the "scope" his technician used tells him the rings are shot and the cylinders are leaking and immediately burning oil on usage). I've seen many postings about a Celica oil burning problem and a replacement engine as the fix. I don't feel I should be responsible for paying for what looks to be a material defect in this car. The dealer stated he knew of no other oil burning problems in 2000+ Celica's, but he will follow up with Toyota to double-check. What can I do, is there any information on this being a material defect?
    I have never heard of this being a car with problem engines, the block in the GT is the same engine they use in the Corolla since 1998, after all. If you drove away from that cat converter replacement at 58K miles, and it LITERALLY started the heavy oil consumption right away, then you probably had some type of big compression problem that the computer had detected, which was the original reason for the CEL. Remember, large-scale oil burning will plug the cat up quickly. If the car was at 58K when it happened, and was less than 60 months old at the time, then if I were you I would take all my repair records and the car straight down to the nearest Toyota dealer and explain the situation. If they are unsympathetic because they did not perform the repairs, take it to the next level (usually regional rep). It may be that Toyota will cover it if the proper maintenance has been done and the repair would have been covered under warranty if you had only gone to a Toyota dealer in the first place.

OK, having said all that, I have to ask: why did you just drive it like that for almost 25K miles? You would have had a much better case if you had gotten it straightened out right away at the time.

Thanks.

Answers:
    It was under warranty with the cat replacement. I drove it for 20K miles because I reported the problem at 70K (at about 63K I noticed the problem but it was manageable at that time), but they made me go back on 3 separate occasions to ensure the oil was really burning (presumably to ensure I was not making it up).

The dealer did perform the cat repairs, but they are unwilling to make any correlation to the fully blown cat at 58K and the oil problems that started thereafter. They said the systems are unrelated, and replacing the CAT has nothing to do (even positionally in the engine, like replacing the CAT couldn't have caused them to put the engine back together wrong) with the blown rings.

Proper maintenance has been done and I have it all documented

Questions:
    What is CEL?
    How can I approach them with the correlation you mention between the blown cat and oil consumption?
    How do I escalate, the owner of the dealership, whom do I contact thereafter? Even if this is out of warranty, do I not have a case that I need a new engine at between 60 and 80K?
  • ed_scott0013ed_scott0013 Member Posts: 64
    CEL = Check Engine Light
    yes, you have a case, but it is a weak case. If you didn't notice oil consumption until 5K miles later, and it was only a small ("manageable") amount until 70K, then the two things are unrelated.

So then what do you have? You have what you say is a well-maintained engine, WITH RECORDS (which is very much in your favor), that has only 83K and needs a ring job - very unusual for a Toyota. What you do is, you go back to the Toyota dealer and ask to speak to the service manager. You explain how well cared for the car is, how it seems very early for the engine to need new rings, and how you would like some "good will" assistance with the repairs.

He/she will say no.

You then ask for contact info for the regional representative. They will give you a phone number and hopefully an e-mail address. You contact them, and make a very convincing argument for how well the car has been maintained, and how you are deeply shocked, hurt even, that it needs such an early and expensive repair. They will schedule a date and time to come and inspect it. In the meantime, they will be in touch with the service department, which will provide them with the diagnosis on your engine.

If at any stage you get put off, Toyota also has a nationwide 800 number you can call to try and get a response. Toyota has in the past been good about going beyond the warranty when it comes to major stuff like this that shouldn't happen. But the car does have almost 85K miles, so don't expect miracles. And if the car is in any way not stock, or there is evidence of racing, forget it.

Well,
    The dealer did not budge.. so I have to try the 800 number. The dealer did (off the record) recommend thicker and frequent oil additions and "engine restore" liquid that may "coat" the engine to hold oil better. He said I could get another 60K miles out of it assuming the rings are worn vs. cracked (since he didn't open it up yet to know). Since I have no noticable symptons, I can get by, and I would know when the symptons start coming, and will need to replace the engine anyways at that point. Does this sound like a viable option? Does anyone think it is possible I will get another 60K out of this engine assuming worn vs. cracked rings?
    Are you really consuming a quart of oil every 350 miles? If so, and you are not blowing smoke all over the road, I would dump it quicker than a heartbeat. But try calling the national assistance number first, see if you can get any help there.

And if you are in any way thinking of keeping it, get a second opinion on the oil problem. Generally speaking, those "engine restore" additives don't do much for very long.

• cleangtcleangt Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

I just got a 2000 celica. The car has 66k miles and I want to give it a tune up.

I got 4 Denso iridium spak plugs, a K & N air filter, I'm going to Mobil1 Sythetic and I just need recomendations on good spark plug wires. Is there anything else I'm missing, any recomendation? Does anyone use anytype of additives? (eg. Lucus motor oil stabilizer}

Another question is, when going from normal oil to sythetic oil, should I do a GUNK engine wash before I change the oil and how long should you wait before the first oil change going from sythetic to sythetic.
  • jojofriesjojofries Member Posts: 1
    Whats up all, I have always been a fan of the 2000 series celicas and right now am in desperate need of a car. Right now there are three prospects here in germany with american specs (so i can take it home). They all have the power moonroof, alloy wheels, leather interior and antilock breaks. The first is a 2001 model with 25K on it going for $16K. The second is a 2004 model going for $21k with 31,000 miles on it. The third is a 2004 going for $22,995 with 10k. Being a soldier stationed in germany its hard to find a used car deal, especially when you want american specs. Any suggestions?
    Hi Cleangt. As far as wires, I'm sure any premium wires will do. I don't know too much about these things, but one factor is length. A good shop like Summit Racing may have a good recommendation for a quality wire, one that has accurate lengths, etc.

No, do not use any additives. They are snake oil and a waste of money.

Oil change intervals seem to be personal preferences. I am pretty confident that synthetic lasts longer than petrol-oil. That is why I use it. On the contrary, these double and dual cam engines are more sophisticated, and one definitely wants to keep them clean. Depending on my mood I go from 4000 to 6000 between changes for my GTS.

Do not wash the engine. It probably will not hurt, but it basically washes the oil off of all the moving parts, and is a waste of money.

If the oil on your new car looks completely black, then change the oil, drive it around a couple miles, and change it and the filter again. You may wish to use petroleum oil for the first change to save money.

Jojofries, if you get the 2001, you'll have a lot of extra cash to put on custom wheels, new tires, satellite radio, and fill it with the best gas you can find. The newer model would be better for resale value in a handful of years. What does your pocketbook tell you to do? What does your heart say? Are they in agreement, or at odds? :)
  • bluebird3bluebird3 Member Posts: 2
    I am leaving the sedan family phase and was wanting a celica, found a 2003 beautiful blue metallic with the normal dings on front hood, couple of minor scratches. only 18704 miles for 2 years old, exc. interior.
    Was getting ready to pick it up from the dealer when they called, a service guy rear ended it on the front driver side panel. It is at their collision center, I've seen it and luckily the headlight is untouched, the front tire is clear for rotation. My concern is any damage(possibly?) to the underside as this is the front panel.
    at 17300 current cost do I have anything to bargain lower. The deal is not final now until the repairs are finished. Celicas are hard to find now that they have stopped production. All that is available in the area are 2005 GTS
    any suggestions from anyone with celica experience?
    you mean someone backed into your new car and hit it in the driver's front fender? I would say go ahead if you love the car, but only if it is a Toyota dealer and they repair it using OEM parts. That type of hit is very unlikely to do more than the immediately obvious damage, and if it is a Toyota dealer, they will tell you if it is more than that. Be sure to ask though.

Is it the deep midnight blue, or that robins' egg blue they made for a short while? The lighter blue is very hard to find, so if you walk away it will be hard to find another one the same color.

I would try to get some further discount on the car now that it has impaired value. The dealer will make a claim on their insurance, and the insurance company will report the damage and the dollar figure to repair it to the state DMV, where it will become part of the car's permanent record (CARFAX, etc).

• bluebird3bluebird3 Member Posts: 2
    yup, hit it good, you can see the outline of the Tundra's bumper!
    dealer won't come down more saying they 'won't make money' and there is a waiting list as you cannot find any used in the area at this current time. the blue is the zephyr blue they came out with in 2003 (I think)

but you confirmed our thought that the car should now be listed with an impaired value.
    thanks
  • billy_raybilly_ray Member Posts: 1
    i was thinking of putting a supercharger on my 1.8 GT but i want to be able to run it safley without messing up my engine, cost is not an issue with parts but i dont want to spend more than i have to, and shopping around for parts is no problem for me, sourcing is what i do. I know i need a Fuel management system and i already ordered my cold air intake. What else should i or could i do to get better performance on my 1.8?
  • peterpanpeterpan Member Posts: 120
    Hi Joj,

You can probably find a nice, clean, low-mileage, rust-free 2001 GTS in the sun belt states for about $12K. Save your money until you get home.

The steering is tight and ultra precise. The brakes are powerful, smooth and quiet. The GTS' suspension is firm so the ride is kind of bumpy, but it would probably save your life in emergency maneuvers. Don't expect the boulevard ride in Grandma's sedan with the GTS. The throttle and engine respsonse are quick and smooth although you would have to rev it up to 6000 RPM to get decent acceleration. The car runs at about 90MPH at 4000 RPM, so at 7800 RPM red line, theoretically it should have 178MPH top speed. At high speed, the car feels light and responsive yet very stable. It holds the road very well in curves and tight turns.

With the hatch-back door in the back, the car is very practical. I disagree with Edmunds editors who ranked the Acura RSX over it. The GT-S is so much fun to drive. It's very cool. It's a far better car, more reliable and more fun than the MBZ 500SL with fake wood trims and disheveld plastic panels.

Right now it's my favorite car.
    "The car runs at about 90MPH at 4000 RPM, so at 7800 RPM red line, theoretically it should have 178MPH top speed."

That is not the way it works. Air resistance increases as the square of speed, or something like that. In the case of Celica, IIRC, it can't reach 7800 rpm in sixth gear, which is a tall overdrive. And top speed is around 140? Again, going by memory there, it might be a little less. It is not more.

And having owned both, I definitely prefer the RSX. It has a nicer interior by several yards. The Celica has the edge for nimbleness - the Celica is a little more tossable and has more direct steering. But most of the other categories fell in favor of the RSX for me.

Celica vs Integra - it is a rivalry going back almost 20 years. I have been on both sides of the fence in that time. Now Celica is gone from the U.S., and in two years it is likely Integra (RSX) will be too. The end of an era, folks.