Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 633
    I'm all for another 15 lbs of torque! :)
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Toyota doesn't intend to let Nissan and Mazda run around with the 350Z and RX-8. Competition among the Japanese manufacturers gets pretty heavy, hence the new Supra rumors.

Current Celica styling I dislike (same with Eclipse). Pre-2000 Celicas and Eclipses are very nice in the styling department.
  • lucy23lucy23 Posts: 4
    For those who have ordered their cars... how well can you negotiate the price?

DESERT5... it sounds like you told your dealer what you wanted & he/she found it at another dealership... correct?? I don't know if what I want is worth "ordering" or if the dealer could do it right there. Like wanting only specific extras (example: I know I can get a better alarm, for cheaper)& the ACTION body kit with the regular spoiler (not the one the ACTION package comes with). Do most of the Celica's come with the alarm already installed?
  • marktestmarktest Posts: 43
    I replaced my Yokohama tires at 17K because of very little tread and a large amount of noise. Many people chuckle when I say I got Summitomo HTRZ-II tires ( never hearing of Summitomo).

I will say, I'm very happy with the choice. At $98/tire, better traction wet and dry (the Yokohamas were terrible in rain), much less noise, Z-rated, and with 11K miles on them now - I estimate I have used 30% of the tread. You might want to check them out, the tread pattern takes a little getting use to, but they're a good tire.

Tirerack has them, but a small tire shop near me ordered them and had them the next day and I got them for $2 less than the tirerack.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    come without the alarm, from my experience. It just so happened that the one I bought had one, but it was the only one I had seen like that, and the only one on their lot that day that had the alarm.

You will definitely be able to beat the price going with an aftermarket alarm.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• sergeissergeis Posts: 134
    I replaced original Dunlops on GT with Michelin Pilots (front only). The noise dropped dramatically; they are smoother and stick better, especially on bumpy roads. I did not believe that tires really matter so much in noise level, but Dunlops were really bad in that department, unless you enjoy noisy ride. I still have plenty of noise coming from rear tires, can't make myself change tires which have minimum wear. By the way, Pilots are somewhat cheaper than Dunlops, why Toyota uses Dunlops at all?
    Toyota just puts on whatever (within reason) it can get a really good volume deal on - they get the Dunlops for a lot less than you and I pay, I bet.

And BTW, my GT came with the Bridgestone Potenzas instead, and if the Michelins are likely to be quieter, I might change them out even tho there is very little wear - these potenzas are noisy!

• boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    This isn't really and 'alarm' system. It's more of an anti-intrusion system. It disables the igition by disconnecting the power (or something close to this) so the car is "unstealable" according to some dealers.
    It won't set off an alarm if someone breaks in.
  • lucy23lucy23 Posts: 4
    So lets say someone breaks into my car to steal the winning lottery ticket (in my dreams), I won't know; but if they try to drive away in the car, they can't? I like the disabler, but I would also want something that is going to make noise if someone tries to pick the lock (or is breaking a window the preferred way of breaking into a car?). I would prefer to get an after the market alarm, but I think the dealers in my area (DC area) put alarms in all of them. I think in the end I will have to special order... depends on if I can get the dealer to give me a good deal on something they have (I am up to date on pricing).
    in the rest of the country, but I can tell you that my VIP RS3200, or whatever the stock Toyota alarm is called, has a damn loud horn! When my car got vandalized (some kids went by and shot out the drivers window with a bebe gun) it was in the middle of the night, and it woke up the whole neighborhood. A bunch of people came out of their houses to see what was going on. The alarm honks the car's regular horn, as well as having a little siren of its own.

So if any door is opened, OR if any glass is broken, OR if the ignition is activated without deactivating the alarm first, the alarm goes off with that piercing wail. And at that point the fuel pump is also disabled, so that the car cannot be driven away.

Luckily for me, the audible horn shuts itself down after a minute or two, and then the next time you go to deactivate the alarm, it gives a special chirp to let you know it was set off. In the meantime, the car cannot be started, and the glass sensor is still active - if more glass is broken, it will set off the horn again.

My dealer wanted $180 for Bridgestone pole position s-03. Too much! For $130 I'm gonna try a tire I'm not familiar with: Kumho. They're getting some good reviews. Worth a shot! Not buying from the net, although next time I may. The price is much better.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    from http://www.tirerack.com

Now the $180 from the dealership, does that include installation?

• ginamarinaginamarina Posts: 2
    I've been loving this car since 1994, but have not been in a position to get one till now. I've been driving a 1991 Mitsu Eclipse GS since it was new, and I now have a total loss from hail damage on my hands.

My question is this: is a 1996 Celica Convertible, auto, 118k, an upgrade from my Eclipse with 88k on it? If the Toyotas are as maintenance-free as the Eclipse has been for me, I don't think it will be a problem, but I'm pretty nervous about it.

I just can't seem to find a killer deal on a newer Celica anywhere around Wisconsin!

Thanks in advance.

Gina
    Yes, balancing, install, out the door.

I haven't dealt with tire rack and wasn't willing to take any chance when I need tires now. May in the future.
    The 2.2L from the Celica is a reliable motor. It may seem a little weak compared to the Eclipse.

The main thing is, check the maintenance. With that mileage, timing belt should be done at least once, but since it's near its change interval, make sure it's been done already.

Tune-up, make sure it's properly tuned up (including the spark plug wires, distributor cap, & rotor).

Tranmission fluid or gear oil: make sure it's been done at least once, if not twice.

Basically a good history of maintenance (get a mechanic to do an evaluation also)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Next time you need tires, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Tire Rack. Their customer service is excellent and I have ordered many tires from them. They always came within 2-4 days. Unless you have more then one flat tire, I'm sure waiting 2-4 days won't kill you and you will save a bundle of money too. Often times you can get a good performance tire for the price of the "sale price" cheap tires that tire stores offer.
    you could get a used '00 for only a few grand more, and they are very different animals. The 94-99's were more of a cruiser, whereas the new one is more of a sporty coupe. Better handling, braking, steering, etc...

• Thank you so much. Turns out that the title (friend got me a carfax) shows 2 accidents, one pretty serious front end damage and air bag deployment. I'm definitely not hung up on a convertible, especially since this one had a couple tears in it. I don't think it's worth the 7900 they want for it.

I really would like to get a newer one, but they're scarce up here for some reason... and expensive. Has anyone found a reputable used dealer? I really don't want to buy one off eBay or something...
    I just saw the Consumer Reports with the Corolla review and it's very depressing to know that the Corolla is slightly quicker than my Celica GTS Auto from 0 to 60mph. They list the Corolla at 9.8 sec, and my Celica has never bettered 10 seconds.

I am convinced the 4 speed auto and this poorly designed GTS engine are a combination that should never be sold. I wish more, now than ever that I ignored my wife and got the 6-speed (or gone with the GT Auto). I am even curious if the 6-speed with the GT engine wouldn't better the GTS Manual.
    marktest, there is something wrong with your GTS.
    I have ~8.5 seconds with GT auto, GTS must be 8 or slightly below. Everyone else has much better numbers than yours, you should be able to get it fixed under warranty. I tested mine before I bought it... You must have some 400 lb person in GTS it to get 10 sec.
    When does it shift? Does it go all the way to the red line?
  • desert5desert5 Posts: 12
    For anyone in a warm part of the country who's thinking of getting a Celica - think twice. Because the windows (both front and back) are large and slanted at about 35 degrees, the car takes in a lot of sun-heat and the airconditioning is not equipped to handle it.

The California Company that designed the Celica sure is incompetent!!!

Lucy....I had my Celica made to order in the factory in Japan.
    It is warm pretty much everywhere in US. Unless you call it cold when it is below 100F.
    Calty styled the Celica

Have you considered tinting your windows?
    Sergeis - I've taken the car into two different Toyota dealers and they have said the car is performing within normal parameters. The mechanic that drove the car in one shop said "yeah, the AUTOs are this slow". I test drove another GTS Auto (without telling them I owned one) and it performed the same, 0 to 60 mph in 10 seconds. I told them it was terrible and wasn't interested.

I accomplish the 10 second time by using e-shift and shifting at 8100RPM. Without e-shift it's about 10.2 seconds and shifts at 7400 to 7600 RPM. The problem is when it shifts to 2nd, the RPM drops to about 4000 RPM and it takes forever to get back up the torque curve.

I have never seen anyone with a GTS Auto post their 0-60 times. I think the GT Auto is quicker than the GTS auto, because the GT engine has more torque available at lower RPMs. I don't believe this GTS engine was worth the development cost in any configuration, but it should never have been coupled up to a 4-speed automatic. In fact, I think the GT engine might outperform the GTS if it were coupled to the 6 speed.

I will say it is reliable, but I'd rather not have the higher operating cost of premium fuel and poorer gas mileage.
    I don't know anything about tinting.

Does it keep out the heat? Does it mess up one's view of the road? Is it reversible, if you don't like it? And does it have to be re-done, once every .....years, or is the first time also the last time?
    It reduces the light that goes in, and reduces the heat that goes into the car. Because it reduces the light going into a car, the windows are darker. This also, not night reduces glare in your rear view mirror.

Tinting, isn't too reversible, the longer it's been on, the harder it is to remove.

A good tint job will last the life of your car.

Glass cleaners with ammonia will damage the tint film.
  • 96flea96flea Posts: 38
    Anyone know how a 2001 Gt handles bad weather like snow or ice? I'm getting rid of my 96 Ranger 2 wheel drive because it has NO room, bad gas mileage and it is crappy in bad weather. Any info appreciated.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great weekend.

My 2000 Celica has 29,600 flawless miles and the air conditioning has no problem cooling in South Florida summers. Calty did an incredible design providing an exotic body style for an economy car price.

My hightest recomendation for anyone considering the purchase of this car. And lets not forget about 36 MPG on the highway.
    This poster says he's in Florida, but I bet you he's in California!

Please...the Celica is the worst-designed car I've ever been in! You can't get in and out (and I'm skinny!)....there's zero rear vision for parking.....the spoiler sure spoils the rest of your rear vision (I eliminated it on my car)....your elbow pokes into your center-tray.....the floormats slip and slide.....the tires and carriage make so much noise you think you're riding a mactruck....the dashboard is a disaster of bad design!!!!!.....the steering wheel is very badly positioned.....the body is so low to the ground that one small rock can wreck your car......the window-wash stick is confusing as hell and easy to bump into by accident.......should I continue????
    Oh, and last but not least: the front window windshield wipers are attached so they swing upwards (straight) and then down, instead of the usual 180 degrees.

This causes the appearance of a vertical mud-streak through the entire driver's field of vision, when you shut them off!