Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    My dealer wanted $180 for Bridgestone pole position s-03. Too much! For $130 I'm gonna try a tire I'm not familiar with: Kumho. They're getting some good reviews. Worth a shot! Not buying from the net, although next time I may. The price is much better.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    from http://www.tirerack.com

Now the $180 from the dealership, does that include installation?

• ginamarinaginamarina Member Posts: 2
    I've been loving this car since 1994, but have not been in a position to get one till now. I've been driving a 1991 Mitsu Eclipse GS since it was new, and I now have a total loss from hail damage on my hands.

My question is this: is a 1996 Celica Convertible, auto, 118k, an upgrade from my Eclipse with 88k on it? If the Toyotas are as maintenance-free as the Eclipse has been for me, I don't think it will be a problem, but I'm pretty nervous about it.

I just can't seem to find a killer deal on a newer Celica anywhere around Wisconsin!

Thanks in advance.

Gina
    Yes, balancing, install, out the door.

I haven't dealt with tire rack and wasn't willing to take any chance when I need tires now. May in the future.
    The 2.2L from the Celica is a reliable motor. It may seem a little weak compared to the Eclipse.

The main thing is, check the maintenance. With that mileage, timing belt should be done at least once, but since it's near its change interval, make sure it's been done already.

Tune-up, make sure it's properly tuned up (including the spark plug wires, distributor cap, & rotor).

Tranmission fluid or gear oil: make sure it's been done at least once, if not twice.

Basically a good history of maintenance (get a mechanic to do an evaluation also)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Next time you need tires, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Tire Rack. Their customer service is excellent and I have ordered many tires from them. They always came within 2-4 days. Unless you have more then one flat tire, I'm sure waiting 2-4 days won't kill you and you will save a bundle of money too. Often times you can get a good performance tire for the price of the "sale price" cheap tires that tire stores offer.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you could get a used '00 for only a few grand more, and they are very different animals. The 94-99's were more of a cruiser, whereas the new one is more of a sporty coupe. Better handling, braking, steering, etc...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ginamarinaginamarina Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much. Turns out that the title (friend got me a carfax) shows 2 accidents, one pretty serious front end damage and air bag deployment. I'm definitely not hung up on a convertible, especially since this one had a couple tears in it. I don't think it's worth the 7900 they want for it.

I really would like to get a newer one, but they're scarce up here for some reason... and expensive. Has anyone found a reputable used dealer? I really don't want to buy one off eBay or something...
  • marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    I just saw the Consumer Reports with the Corolla review and it's very depressing to know that the Corolla is slightly quicker than my Celica GTS Auto from 0 to 60mph. They list the Corolla at 9.8 sec, and my Celica has never bettered 10 seconds.

I am convinced the 4 speed auto and this poorly designed GTS engine are a combination that should never be sold. I wish more, now than ever that I ignored my wife and got the 6-speed (or gone with the GT Auto). I am even curious if the 6-speed with the GT engine wouldn't better the GTS Manual.
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    marktest, there is something wrong with your GTS.
    I have ~8.5 seconds with GT auto, GTS must be 8 or slightly below. Everyone else has much better numbers than yours, you should be able to get it fixed under warranty. I tested mine before I bought it... You must have some 400 lb person in GTS it to get 10 sec.
    When does it shift? Does it go all the way to the red line?
  • desert5desert5 Member Posts: 12
    For anyone in a warm part of the country who's thinking of getting a Celica - think twice. Because the windows (both front and back) are large and slanted at about 35 degrees, the car takes in a lot of sun-heat and the airconditioning is not equipped to handle it.

The California Company that designed the Celica sure is incompetent!!!

Lucy....I had my Celica made to order in the factory in Japan.
    It is warm pretty much everywhere in US. Unless you call it cold when it is below 100F.
    Calty styled the Celica

Have you considered tinting your windows?
  • marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    Sergeis - I've taken the car into two different Toyota dealers and they have said the car is performing within normal parameters. The mechanic that drove the car in one shop said "yeah, the AUTOs are this slow". I test drove another GTS Auto (without telling them I owned one) and it performed the same, 0 to 60 mph in 10 seconds. I told them it was terrible and wasn't interested.

I accomplish the 10 second time by using e-shift and shifting at 8100RPM. Without e-shift it's about 10.2 seconds and shifts at 7400 to 7600 RPM. The problem is when it shifts to 2nd, the RPM drops to about 4000 RPM and it takes forever to get back up the torque curve.

I have never seen anyone with a GTS Auto post their 0-60 times. I think the GT Auto is quicker than the GTS auto, because the GT engine has more torque available at lower RPMs. I don't believe this GTS engine was worth the development cost in any configuration, but it should never have been coupled up to a 4-speed automatic. In fact, I think the GT engine might outperform the GTS if it were coupled to the 6 speed.

I will say it is reliable, but I'd rather not have the higher operating cost of premium fuel and poorer gas mileage.
    I don't know anything about tinting.

Does it keep out the heat? Does it mess up one's view of the road? Is it reversible, if you don't like it? And does it have to be re-done, once every .....years, or is the first time also the last time?
    It reduces the light that goes in, and reduces the heat that goes into the car. Because it reduces the light going into a car, the windows are darker. This also, not night reduces glare in your rear view mirror.

Tinting, isn't too reversible, the longer it's been on, the harder it is to remove.

A good tint job will last the life of your car.

Glass cleaners with ammonia will damage the tint film.
  • 96flea96flea Member Posts: 38
    Anyone know how a 2001 Gt handles bad weather like snow or ice? I'm getting rid of my 96 Ranger 2 wheel drive because it has NO room, bad gas mileage and it is crappy in bad weather. Any info appreciated.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great weekend.

My 2000 Celica has 29,600 flawless miles and the air conditioning has no problem cooling in South Florida summers. Calty did an incredible design providing an exotic body style for an economy car price.

My hightest recomendation for anyone considering the purchase of this car. And lets not forget about 36 MPG on the highway.
    This poster says he's in Florida, but I bet you he's in California!

Please...the Celica is the worst-designed car I've ever been in! You can't get in and out (and I'm skinny!)....there's zero rear vision for parking.....the spoiler sure spoils the rest of your rear vision (I eliminated it on my car)....your elbow pokes into your center-tray.....the floormats slip and slide.....the tires and carriage make so much noise you think you're riding a mactruck....the dashboard is a disaster of bad design!!!!!.....the steering wheel is very badly positioned.....the body is so low to the ground that one small rock can wreck your car......the window-wash stick is confusing as hell and easy to bump into by accident.......should I continue????
    Oh, and last but not least: the front window windshield wipers are attached so they swing upwards (straight) and then down, instead of the usual 180 degrees.

This causes the appearance of a vertical mud-streak through the entire driver's field of vision, when you shut them off!

The driver's side in Toyotas has always swung at little more than 90 degrees. THe passenger, about 130 degrees. It's nothing new. The same deal applies to most cars.
    Thank you very much for explaining us all these nasty faults of Celica. Indeed, who needs a car you cannot get in? On the other hand how do you know that you cannot get out? I believe you have to get in first. But then again, if you could get in and could not get out how would be know about that? There is no internet in this car! I also found it very disappointing that it does not have a bar inside, nor even space for small whirpool. On the other hand it does not need it since you cannot get in anyway. Now, the steering wheel does not feel right. It looks like it is right, but does not feel right at all - it is inside the car and you cannot get into it to feel it! I am even not mentioning visibility - you cannot see anything from inside, because you cannot get in. And wipers! What a joke! Instead of swinging wipers Celica swings the whle driver side! And if passanger is present he (she) shakes by 130 degrees - I would not last long in the passenger seat.
    desert5 - why did you buy that car??? Didn't you see all the faults? Haven't you noticed that you cannot even get into it?
  • joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    I was planning on getting new wheels for another car I own (with 15" wheels). I'd like to replace the tiny 13" wheels on my 1987 Toyota convertable GT with them. Does anyone know the bolt pattern for the toyota (ie 4X4.5, etc)?
    5x100mm

I think it's a 35-39 mm offset also
    See.....If I remember correctly, "normal" wipers go clockwise while the Celica's wipers go counter-clockwise....and that's how it leaves a vertical line of dirt in front of the driver's field of vision.

Anyway, my wonderful MR2 did it the right way. That car was so beautifully designed, it spoiled me for all future ones, I guess.

Alas.....she got old and I was forced to buy. The Celica seemed the only sane choice to make. I don't hate her.....I just don't love her....
    That post was funny!

The one about the whirlpool, and stuff.
    Isn't the first number the amount of bolts?
    maybe you have an ST model...

then it should be 4x100mm
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    How in the world can you complain about the Celica being small and uncomfortable if you used to have an MR2??
    Does that makes any sense to anybody?
    My Celica's wipers work fine.
    I have the 13" wheels of a ST, but the 3S-FE in the GT's. The car has been in my family since new, and no one has done any mods or replacements. Strange! There is a GT badge on the trunk.
    Looks like the wheels won't fit, though. The ones I'm replacing are 4X4.5 pattern.
  • bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    Because it's so low to the ground, you can't really drive the car over unplowed roads. But it handles okay on packed snow and sanded ice (not that we had any last year, but the year before in this region we had some).

Brenda
  • voochvooch Member Posts: 92
    I have a 2000 GT and my AC works just fine. And I live in Louisiana, where it doesn't get much hotter (or more humid for sure). I use a sun screen on the windshield, which I think helps a ton. It only takes 5 mins or so to cool down.

As for the design, its a tiny sporty car... I didn't think anyone bought sporty cars for visibility and interior comfort. Or is it just me? I certainly didn't and I'm paying for it now heh. The visibility is the worst of any car I've owned and probably will ever own. Same goes for interior space. Eventually I'm sure every pair of pants I have will have a hole in the right knee. You think they could have designed the leg room with just a tad bit more space. I'm only 5'8" on a good day and my legs are cramped.

Other than that it is an extremely fun car. It handles like a dream and is somewhat peppy(with the a/c off heh). My next car will definitely be bigger though. =)
    I'm pretty comfortable in it, but I agree with the problems. I remind myself that if you put the shape and style of the car first, everything else is going to suffer. With everyone complementing me on this car, it is worth it to me :)
  • techtalkertechtalker Member Posts: 4
    that other cars i've driven does not...

The car accelerates fine but when i let go of the accelerator, the car feels like it is being held back, the RPM goes from, say 2000 at the peak of the acceleration, down to 1000 or so...then the RPM needle jerks up to a cruising level of about 1200-1300 RPMs and the car noticeably jerks forward simultaneously...It's not a major problem, but it does get annoying...most cars, after acceleration, will usually cruise at speed and not feel like its being held back.

I noticed a lot of talk a while back about engine braking, and the Celica being designed to slow down after accelerating...is this accurate? Am i just being paranoid with my brand new car?
    When you release accelerator computer often assumes that you want to slow down. Especially if you go downhill - it can even downshift to break by engine. Toyota tech support told me that it is designed that way. Most annoyng is that it uses that breaking when on cruise control - the feedback program works like Windows, after half an hour it may decide that speed is 1 mph higher and does this sharp engine breaking some 5 mph down, then accelerates, overshoots, breaks again etc. shaking the car. The solution is simple - turn cruise off and immediately on again ("restart WIndows"). I got used to that.
  • techtalkertechtalker Member Posts: 4
    I too noticed the downshifting a couple of times as i started going downhill...It freaked me out initially until i realized that it was probably the computer slowing down the vehicle to reduce brake wear...

I'm glad you told me about the computer and controlling the speed of the car after acceleration...i noticed that the car does not actually slow down after letting the accelerator go (the speedometer reading remains steady)--it is more of a "feel" that the car is being held back by something-- the RPMs drop very quickly down to ~1000 or so and then stabilize at 1200-1300...

in any case, thanks for posting the info.
  • bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    The tiny interior means that it only takes a couple minutes for the air conditioning to cool off the car. (Today it was 96 degrees in the Washington metro area, a Code Red day, so I know.) You should try running the AC in a minivan. It takes ten minutes to get the interior temperature down.

Brenda
    I disagree with everything said up above about the celica - some of them like mats sliding around are outright untrue, and what was that ridiculous stuff about the wipers? The wipers on this car are exactly like every car I have ever owned, and the only ones I have ever SEEN that are different are those old mercedes with just one wiper that goes across the whole windshield in a big 180. And this car rides quieter than most other cars I have owned. And that is with the noisy Potenzas on it - I am sure it will be even quieter after I put Michelins on it that I have used before on other cars.

7000 miles on this car and I love it - I think it is my favorite of any car I have ever had...but the A/C does spend a lot of time cranked to max at top fan speed on hot days, say anything above 90 degrees. I have noticed that too. I recently borrowed a friend's 4Runner, and noticed that her A/C was much more powerful than mine. I think there is just a lot more air coming out of the vents in her truck than in my celica. If it is not that, then I can't explain it. I would call the A/C adequate for the job, but not overwhelming.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Well, low output air conditioning is pretty much a symptom of every 4-cylinder foreign car. I've owned the Integra, Acura CL, and the GTS, they're all on par with each other. Lots of glass, lots of greenhouse effect, and adequate cooling that unfortunately can't freeze your face off.

If there is one thing America does best, I think, it is Air Conditioners. Not quality-wise, mind you, just output in general.
  • lucy23lucy23 Member Posts: 4
    I am not sure where you live, but if you are in the state of VA or DC are I can give you the name of an excellent tinter. He does car tinting & has had contracts with businesses. If anyone else is interested let me know! His partner also does audio & alarms. They are located in Fredricksburg It would be worth the drive if you don't live in that area... I highly recommend!!
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    My Integra has no problem freezing my face off. Every Ford my family has ever had, has always had a defective AC/heater unit, and we've had a multitude of Explorers, Villagers, and an Expedition in the past few years. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. The Camry has an excellent AC unit, so I would expect no less of the Celica.
    I currently have a rented camry, and the A/C in that thing makes the whole car into a deep freeze inside ten minutes, and it is the 4-cylinder, and it has been 100 degrees here the last two days.

I keep noticing that the way the dash vents are designed in the celica, there does not seem to be a lot of air coming out, even on top fan speed. It seems cold enough, but there isn't enough of it. I think that is why it takes the car so long to cool off. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the camry and other cars I have compared it to have glass that blocks more of the heat from entering the car when it is sitting in the sun.

• kenbattousaikenbattousai Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am from Singapore. Yes, far far away from the states. I am actually looking hunting for a cool sports coupe after my present car got involved in an accident.

My choice so far has zeroed into the Celica GTS/ss2, Integra type R and the Silvia s15.

I am pretty much settled for the GTS, but had received many bad reviews from colleagues and friends. Engine too noisy.. shift gates too near..overpriced etc.

Cars in Singapore are relatively expensive as compared to the States or elsewhere. I need to choose really carefully b4 I made my move.

I will be glad if someone in this forum can advise me or contribute some suggestions. Does the GTS really gets noisy on the road, would it be a better buy than the Intergra Type R?

Comments?

Ken.
    The Integra has more power of course, if you are talking about a real type R, and it is more useable with the engine/tranny combo. They are both very noisy cars in my opinion, and the celica will handle better. A lot better. The shift gates are very close, which is a good thing - it feels like a racing transmission. The gears are heavy to shift, which is not a bad thing either, but you may or may not like it.

I am assuming the type R would be used right? Or do you still have those new over there? Here we have moved on to the RSX, and the Integra is history. Would you be buying the celica used as well, or would it be new?

If I am remembering rightly, the Silvia was sold here as the 240SX which is a blast to drive, but different than these other two. A heavier, bigger, higher-powered car. Less of a racer and more of a very fast cruiser, but still lots of fun. I bet it is more expensive than the other two there?

Anyway, celica may be a little overpriced, but I like it better than the integra, and better than the RSX, which is why I bought one! If you find you like the shifter (it is fantastic) and you are OK with the high rear end/limited visibility out the back, buy it!

If Nissan decided to bring over the S15 Silvia, I'd run down to the dealershp and tear apart the glass with my bare hands to get one. Is dragging the sales staff by their ties considered unethical buyer behavior for new car sales? >:) Alas, the chance of that is zero percent as Nissan is giving up on the Silvia ( \(>_<)/ you idiots!) and that means 'no soup for you' for American enthusiasts.

Integra Type R is the new, fourth-gen (aka our RSX) Type R? Hmmm... that would be quite the car.

Okay, I figured this one out, Ken. You send me an S15 Silvia (going out of production) and I'll send you a Camaro from Detroit here! Sound like a fair trade? >;p

Celica IMO here in USA is overpriced... for the money of a GT-S model you can get a base RSX. Looks sharp in blue, but so does the RSX.

S15 Silvia, never sold here, is actually not expensive in Japan (and neither is the Integra [aka RSX])... and plenty of power, too, unlike the S13 and S14 which were sold with pretty underpowered engines compared to the Japan-spec models.
  • voochvooch Member Posts: 92
    If the Celica GTS is overpriced, then wouldn't the RSX be overpriced as well, especially since its the base model you are comparing?
  • expdayexpday Member Posts: 1
    I drive a old Celica ST, moonroof, stero/cass, cruise, 5 speed. Otherwise pretty basic. Wondering what I should get for it on trade in or should I sell myself. It has rust in the corners, and 97,500 miles. What do you think is a fair price. Runs great, I bought a year ago from the original owner. Thanks
    Trade in the dealership will rape you.

YOu can use the Edmunds Fair Market Value Calculator (in the Used car section). You can also check to see if repairing the rust makes a big difference in value or not.
    that the celica GTS and the RSX-S go head to head in pricing, but for that much money the Acura has more equipment and is a better deal. HOWEVER, if you are comparing celica GT to base RSX, it is no contest - celica wins IMO. It can be as much as $3K or more less than RSX, and all you lose is rear discs and 16" rims, while you gain the weight and consequent handling advantages of the celica.

aa so. When did the Celica get automatic climate control?? Base GT needs a lot of options to get up to the standard equipment level of a base RSX. RSX is a great buy at the base level whereas I would have to load the GT up to get what I want, and then be 20 hp deficient. And I would have to go to Toyota dealer and not Acura dealer. And we know how great Toyota dealers are! >:(