Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Not in the US, but you can bet the JDM Celica has them. As the JDM Corolla does also
  • desert5desert5 Member Posts: 12
    I want to get some oil filters for my Celica, is there an online Toyota parts place?
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Has anyone seen altezza lights for the 1994-1999 Celica hatchback model? If so, where? Also, did that generation Celica in Europe or Asia have the clear lense headlamps as opposed to the older style "fuzzy" headlamps of the American version? What I mean is the fuzzy headlamps of the 1999 Camry compared to the clear plastic ones of the 2000 Camry. I think the clear ones look sharper.
    desert5: try http://www.toyotaparts4u.com and other such places

coolhuyky7: No altezza lights. Some Celicas had projector lights also.

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    on the automatic climate control in the base RSX as the major option that allows it to dominate Celica? PUH-LEEZE! I hate that stuff anyway - a bunch of electronics that will just run on high all the time in the heat anyway, and will break down in five years and require a $2000 repair. If I had to pay NOT to have it, I probably would...I have had friends with old Acuras, and the display always gives up, or the fan speeds don't work, or...

Base RSX and celica GT have very little to separate them, except the RSX has a more buzzy engine...someone at my office just bought one, and you can hear her start up her car all the way across the parking lot, there is so much valvetrain noise...

As for the 10% more horsepower in the RSX, yes it has that, and 10% more weight as well!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    The reason why Honda-Acura makes those high-rev engines is SOLELY to irritate Toyota people whose engines don't make cool sounds. Trust me.

-vero "Integra" zahl
    you haven't heard a celica rev, huh vero?

It sounds SO SWEET above 4000! But the difference is, at 'round-town speeds, it doesn't sound like a 15-year-old volvo! :-)

Besides, we are not talking integra here, we are talking base RSX. I don't think the integras made this much noise at idle.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Most of the new 2000-2002 models I see in action are on the expressway at cruising speed. The ones I typically see on city streets are the older models of the past two generations. If my brother gets the Blue Mica GT of his dreams, then I'll become familiar with the supposedly "high-strung" nature of the current model. Celica replacement is due in 2004, right? Any word yet?
    is "mum"

Hope they put a 2-liter back in it though. They need to figure out a way to give this car 20% more torque/power without increasing the weight!

The flip side of that coin is Honda needs to keep the current powertrain in the RSX but lop off about 200 pounds from the current car.

And OF COURSE, both of them should do this without increasing the price!! LOL :-)

...oh yeah, and I would LOVE to see a new RSX type R sold here! Something with around 230 hp. I would shell out for that and upgrade.

ummmmmmmmm.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    "I had recently driven a Mercedes C32 AMG and a Corvette Z06 on the same roads. Despite being half the price of these two cars, the Celica was just as much fun to drive."

Read the full story here. And let us know what you think. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • spftpxspftpx Member Posts: 1
    88 celica gt, auto 220k - hot air flow out on driver side with AC on, passenger side is cold. AC had never been repair or recharged freon. Are there any easy way to fix this problem other than take off all front panel mask. I beleived that there is a door supposed to close(open - close) when AC is on. Toyota manual did not show me how to fix this problem. Need help, thanks in advance.
    I am amazed that Edmunds gave the celica the "best sports coupe under $30K" award, given all the negative things they had to say about it! You would think it had done nothing but annoy them in all the time they had it. I guess this car's sheer driving-at-the-limit enjoyment factor out-weighed all those niggling considerations they mention in their commentary.

Given that most people who buy the car will not have the opportunity to autocross it, or head to the racetrack on weekends, I think the most on-point criticism of the GTS is the fact that most of the power gain comes at 6000-7600 rpm, which is pretty darn hard to achieve or use in daily driving. That is why I bought a GT instead. You get almost the same magic handling, braking and steering (only difference in this department is slightly larger rims and lower-profile tires), and a powertrain that has more useable torque and plenty of pep at 'round-town speeds.

Not to mention saving $4K!! LOL

I think celica's dropping sales reflect the fact that it is more of a purpose-built sport coupe than a sporty cruiser, which would be more comfortable and feel less bare-bones, but I believe would perform worse due to increased weight and expense, etc.

RSX probably hits much closer to the middle of the target audience for this type of car, and the only reason I did not buy one was that I was instantly enchanted with the low weight and amazing handling of the celica. 9500 miles now, and no regrets!

• rainxrainx Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm looking into buying Celica Convertible '98 from a dealer. Sticker price is $17K. 36k miles, leather, average shape. I have a couple questions: a) what would be a reasonable price I can offer to the dealer? I'm thinking $13K. b) am I crazy if I want to drive convertible year around in Wisconsin (read snow,ice,salt,etc). Thank you!
    Why? That's not a long time for such a drastic model change that occurred in 2000. The last Celica ran for 6 years and partially in 1993? (I've seen some early 1994s been labeled 1993.5)
    What changes were made to the 1998 Celica compared to the 1996-97? I noticed the steering wheel was changed and the STs were dropped.
  • kwkslvrkwkslvr Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard anything at all about the next generation Celica (2004)? I was hoping to get some solid information since it should come out late next year. Do you think Toyota would put an Inline-6 in the new Celica (same engine as in the IS 300)? If there is an additonal increase of torque and HP and taking into consideration its low weight, I'm thinking it'll kick some serious RSX butt. It would finally have the speed to match its fast looks. But that's just my humble opinion.
    2004 should still maintain the changes for 2003 (fascia changes).

If we assume the usual 5 year cycle, a new Celica should be expected 2005.
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    I kinda doubt they would put a 6 in the Celica. They'll probably tweak an existing 4 to be more around 200 hp. But that's just my opinion.
    I would think Toyota would follow Honda's lead (LOL) and up the displacement from 1.8L to 2.0L or 2.2L. 200hp to match RSX probably a possibility.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    I can relate to Edmund's road test of the new Celica. I bought the GTS, subsequently got a 6-speed, and like it mostly due to the novelty. The car would be better with 25 lbs more torque and a 5-speed--one that requires less muscle. Despite the strangeness of the power setup, the car is a pure performer, and that's what makes me love it. I do have a squeak inside, and the blind spots stink. But I'm one of those that loves to drive, and I LOVE to drive this car, so all of the faults are forgiven. So, I'm one of the few who would still buy this car. The fewer that buy it, the cooler I look going down the road. Can't even iterate how many people tell me how cool this car is. Everyone, everywhere, wow! Maybe that is something that got lost in the article. I didn't read it carefully, but the looks really should be stressed.

Every pure performer---a car owning handling, steering, brakes, and weight---is going to be neglecting many other tangibles. No one should be upset about the review, but expect it. And don't get upset that these are reasons why the general public will shy away from the car. Those are the same people that envy the look, and comment on it every day to me :)
    By the way, although my car has only 14k miles---If some of the stuff on that list goes bad on my car, yes, I will start to miss Acura (Integra/CL). Honda's tend to have nothing go wrong with them anymore. At the same time, I realize that the radical new Celica design contributes to problems. You can't change a car, make it the coolest around, and use the most advanced metal stamping to create such a beautiful body, and expect the fit-and-finish to be perfect, even for Toyota. Still looks cooler than my buddy's ultra-cool black RSX-S in our parking lot.
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    Got almost 20k on my 01 w/o any problems. It gets driven hard and keeps asking for more. Pulling close to 30 with it daily. Over 30 on trips going around 85mph. No problems! I agree with ya guitaran. (are you a guitarman)?
    Been playing guitar for 18 years. Love that classic rock :)
    that while it be upping engine sizes and power ratings for a lot of model updates in the next two years, it will not put a six-cylinder in the celica, for which I am very glad! It would totally wreck the magic of this car to make it nose-heavy in that way. But they will up the displacement of the four, I am hoping to 2.2L...that should bring the power of the GT up to more like 175, with GTS at around 220, without substantially increasing weight.

And I agree with above post - it is unlikely that Toyota will bring in an all-new '04, since it has gone to the trouble of doing the "freshening" for '03, which it usually allows to run for the last two years of the cycle.

• kwkslvrkwkslvr Member Posts: 2
    Not to belabor the point, but am I the only one here who has heard that the next generation Celica will be coming out as a 2004 model?
    I have read somewhere that Toyota planned to restyle the Celica after 4 years (rather than the usual 5) so that it's styling can stay fresh in this competitive segment. Can anyone else confirm this?

Anyway, whether Toyota decides to change the Celica in 2004 or 2005, I hope they don't make the same styling mistake like Acura did in the RSX--that is one godawful looking vehicle. I don't know what Honda/Acura was thinking. First they mess up and deep six the Prelude, then they mess up and discontinue the Intergra legacy.
    Don't worry, the Celica will stand out as ughlee as usual no matter when the redesign happens.

Honda-Acura's Civic and Integra/RSX designs are questionable, to say the least. And dropping the Prelude? criminal!
    if they restyle the celica for '04 - that means only 3 years 'til I get my new one! These are truly great cars.

Even Toyota, as dull as it is, could NEVER make a car as dull-looking as the new RSX...but I have found one other car that looks a lot like that RSX now - the new Aerio. Almost identical! With just a bit of the Civic SI's minivan look thrown in...

Toyota, if you are listening, please remember to give us another 30 lb-ft of torque, or else make that first gear a little less tall!

Honda, if you are listening, abandon the new RSX and start producing the Integra again, and bring back the type R too!

nippononly, Honda Integra = Acura RSX in US/Canada market. The RSX is simply the 4th-gen Integra.

As for RSX:Aerio comparison, don't worry, I'll find some tar and feathers that will fit you nicely.
  • voochvooch Member Posts: 92
    Although similar looking, the RSX may be slightly more attractive.
    ... I ordered the Economy Bundle of tar & feathers.

If anyone's interested in finding an old Toyota, such as a 1984 Celica-Supra, Ann Arbor Subaru has one sitting on their lot for sale...

... because we all know Toyota can't handle the task of styling these days! oh so hard.
  • voochvooch Member Posts: 92
    I agree that the 84 Celicas/Supras are better looking than the current Toyota models, and most other makers current sports coupes. I love em. I never really liked Preludes, maybe the really old ones but none of the newer ones so I won't be missing it.

But I think Honda did an even worse job of "styling these days" with the RSX and the god awful 2003 Accord (not part of the topic but I can see how the RSX was born). But I'm sure I will become numb to them in time after having to see the majority of the population driving them. Sigh.

I'm happy that you will be saving money with the economy sized tar and feathers because you're going to need it if you start a styling war and are trying to defend Honda, King of the Bland! =)
    Whatryall talking about?

I think my 2000 Celica has distinct Ferrari-like styling. EVERYONE comments on it, and how "cool" it is!
  • wrgrahamwrgraham Member Posts: 112
    I have a young friend (age 19) who is buying his first new car, and he is
    purchasing a Celica GT. He has just gotten the loan together and the credit
    union has taken his downpayment and the insurance is in order. The car
    itself will be shipped soon, he hasnt driven it because it's coming from another
    island. Anyway, neither he nor I have any doubts that the Celica is a good
    car and is what he wants. But I have a lingering concern about roominess.
    He is 6'1" and about 175 lbs. Will he be fitting ok into the driver's seat? I
    just remember riding in a Mazda sportscar (RX7?) about 15 years ago
    and I couldnt even sit up straight. This wont happen with the Celica,
    and my friend, I hope??
    Sitting up straight could be a problem. I'm 6', and I tend to lean backwards. When I sit upright though, I find my head touching a bit.
    to recline that driver's seat! 6'1" will not fit under that roof with the seat back up straight.

One reason I sold mine...

• welst10welst10 Member Posts: 49
    Hi all, I am considering buying a automatic Celica GT or a Acura RSX (not the type S). Haven't test-drove any yet. But is there any data on the 0-60 of these two cars? Consumer Reports only has data on the GT-S. Also, which car has more space (both cockpit and trunk)? Thanks for your input.
  • welst10welst10 Member Posts: 49
    Hi all, I am considering buying an automatic Celica GT or a Acura RSX (not the type S). Haven't test-drove any yet. But is there any data on the 0-60 of these two cars? Consumer Reports only has data on the GT-S. Also, which car has more space (both cockpit and trunk)? Thanks for your input.
  • cho7819cho7819 Member Posts: 20
    Can anyone give me information about whether or not a 1992 Toyota Celica ST's engine is interference?
    (1) none of the Toyota 1.8L engines is interference, no worries there. Check Gates Rubber website if you want exact specs on all makes and models timing belts...

(2) Celica has more trunk space but less cockpit space than RSX. As far as performance, I have only driven the auto in the celica, but it is a lot slower than the celica manual, so unless RSX has the same problem, I assume the RSX auto would be faster. Celica is the leader for handling and braking.

2ZZ-GE is interference.

All the GE heads are interference design

FE heads are non-interference
    yes, I forgot about that engine - celica GTS and now Matrix XRS.

I will amend: Toyota makes very few interference engines.

All the new celica and corolla engines since 2000 have a timing chain, not a belt at all! This makes the interference/non-interference thing a moot point, since it is highly unlikely that a chain will break the way a belt would - in the event it might, it will give you lots of noisy warning ahead of time!

BTW, I went on the Gates site, and the only Toyota listed of all the Toyotas they have on there back to the mid-80's that is an interference engine with a timing belt is the most recent Tundra engine.

Amazing, I didn't know my car had a chain. Well, what it lacks in timing belt replacements, it more than makes up for with tire replacements!

Did you guys see the Edmund's Videos?

"2001-2002 Sport Coupe Comparison Video Reviews"

WOW, me like!
    everyone with the GTS with the Yokohamas seems to go thru that first set of tires really quick - 20K miles or less...they should have one of those warning stickers on the car like they do on the IS300 - "due to the sporty nature of these tires, you may experience reduced longevity, sometimes 20,000 miles or less"...

• sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    welst10: I have GT 2000 auto, takes ~8.5 sec for 0-60.
    nippononly: they use Dunlops Sport 4000 on GT, complete junk - the front ones lasted ~20K. Now I have 34K and close to 3 years - the rear tires developed cracks running all along the groves. Besides they were always extremelly noisy. No matter what you do those tires do not last long.
    my '02 GT had Bridgestone Potenza RE92s, a tire I am infinitely well acquainted with for its mediocre performance and high level of road noise. OTOH, I have had many of them, and have never known them to wear out especially early, or develop cracks or other problems.

• wrgrahamwrgraham Member Posts: 112
    My friend's new 2002GT just arrived on the barge last night and we picked it up today. I was still carrying some worry about a cramped interior, but when we got in we found it plenty roomy and the headroom was fine. He is at least 6' and I am 6'1. What a nice surprise. It is a base Celica with no spoiler, white with the Bridgestone tires, 5 speed trans. He is sure happy. And the price came to 17500 including tax and license and everything.
    the base sticker, the celica is a real good deal in today's market. Who really needs power windows or locks when the car is a two-seater? It has what matters: A/C and a CD player. And that blasted spoiler...Toyota should pay the buyer for having to put up with that thing! I just wish alloy wheels were standard, but that is one thing that cannot be expected in this market at $16K.

• bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    Looking at selling a used 2000 Celica GT - Red, automatic - 43K miles, sunroof and most the other goodies - you guys have any idea on how good the market is for one of these - how much do you think its worth - its my wifes car - sedate driver - new Yokohamas - she wants a Camry. Thanks