Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• sf24sf24 Member Posts: 18
    Hi, do you guys know how much more i'd pay in insurance for a GT-S over a GT? I'm 25, clean record.

Thanks!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    age 33 single, it was about $400/yr...

as far as previous post, I hardly see any celicas for sale used, so you should price it up and see what interest you get...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Hi, do you guys know how much more i'd pay in insurance for a GT-S over a GT? I'm 25, clean record.

Thanks!
    about the repeats...i unknowlingly clicked refresh too many times.

thanks for your reply nippononly. that seems very cheap, is that comprehensive coverage?
    that was the price DIFFERENCE! Once I got my GT, my insurance for full coverage with $500 deductible collision, $100 comp was $1820 per year. It would have been well over $2000 for the GTS.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

thanks for clearing that up, hehe
    i was thinking of shopping a GT with the 'upgrade package' and maybe some alloy wheels. that would push the price to within 2k-3k of the GT-S. can u give me your opinion about which to choose, ie. are the benefits of GT-S worth the extra 2-3k initial cost plus the cost of higher insurance, premium gas, lower mpg?
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    I've been thinking about my next car. If I leased another Celica, it would be a GT-S without spoiler, moonroof, carbon fiber. These are things that lose their value immediately when you drive off the lot. A GT-S with anti-lock, maybe CD-changer would be cool for me. I really enjoy the speed of the upgraded model!

Insurance: I have a comprehensive package at $1900/year, but I had an accident which raised my premiums, I forget, 10% was it?
    it depends: are you a racer? AND...will you ever have to commute in this thing in stop and go traffic?

If you are a racer, and someone who will never get tired of winding that engine out to its max even when you are going to the store for a loaf of bread, then YES YES YES the GTS is totally worth it over the GT. You can get the 16" rims and lower-profile tires stock too, so if you are not the type to do a lot of aftermarket stuff, this is another advantage for handling, which is razorlike on the GTS, really.

BUT, if you are someone who will have to do a lot of low speed driving in it, then know this: the GTS is even more of a dog at low engine speeds than the GT, because the GT develops its torque at way lower RPMs.

So if you are a stop and go commuter, I would stick to the GT. If you are someone who loves to wring out the engine to its max a lot of the time, you would never be satisified with the GT - then get the GTS. They are both a lot of fun!

very much for all the insight. i'm not a racer at all, just need something to commute and drive around the city with, with a bit of a fun factor..thus a celica. in terms of power set up, it sounds like the GT is more suitable then. the main thing that draws me to the GTS is the availability of 16" rims/lower profile tires, which i think enhances the look of the celica a lot. and your emphasis on GTS handling made it even more tempting.

I'm also trying to decide between manual and auto...want a manual but I am concerned about doing parallel parking on the hilly streets of san francisco, is it something i could get used to or will that always be a pain with a manual?

guitar - i share your sentiment on the spoiler, moon roof, carbon fiber. these things can add substantially to the cost of the car while only adding marginal additional benefits. however i feel the celica looks a bit odd w/o the spoiler, like it's kind of naked, for lack of better word.
    Funny, I'm torn between 2 things: The spoiler looks really great, it was a perfect beautification addition to the car. Ethically, I am completely against any car maker adding a non-functional spoiler to production cars!

Concerning tires, consider this: GTS 16" tires, 205/50/16, are only offered in summer tires, aka sticky wear-down-quicks! And they're expensive.

Unfortunately, they put 16" tires on most GTS's, just like they try to add all the goodies to these "limited" top model cars. But if I had the choice at this point, I'd consider the 15" tires. For replacements, there would be more options. Check out tire rack to see what is available for each, and you'll see.

Now, if you want a high performance tire, would a 15" be cheaper than the same model in a 16"? Maybe not. That's one of those comparisons to make. Don't know the 15" sizing, but Edmund's or Toyota.com probably has it.

Another idea: Get yourself a GT, and with all the extra money, go buy the best set of tires available. I don't know what other differences there are in the suspensions off hand, but a great set of tires can do a great deal for curvy handling.
    there is no difference at all between the GT and GTS suspension set-ups - the only GTS handling advantage comes from bigger rims/lower-profile tires. So, you could get the GT and put the 16" rims on, and have GTS handling! Both are superb.

GTS SUPPOSEDLY has as base stock the 15" alloys from the GT with 205/55 tires on them - I have NEVER SEEN THIS in all my celica shopping. But it means you could go with the 15" rims and get 195/60's or 205/55's, whichever you prefer.

BTW, as far as manuals, the GTS clutch is shorter and sharper than the GT clutch, if this is a factor for you in SF driving.

And lots of people have posted here saying they got very few miles out of the OEM Yokohamas on their GTS's...they are summer tires, and they wear fast. Most get less than 30K on them.

lots of great info, thanks again! is it possible that both 195 and 205 size tires can fit snuggly into the same rim? (i've never shopped rims/tires, so i'm new to this).

according to you guys, the stock GTS tires aren't gonna last long. so i was wondering , how much should i expect to pay to replace a set of 16" tires (not high performance/racing tires, just normal driving under regular condition tires) ? how about for 15"?

also nippon u said i could get GT and put 16" rims on them, but it seems 16" is not a listed option for the GT. can it be done anyway?
    i saw on some message boards people describing the celica manual transmission as 'vague' , or just bad in general, and not as good as honda/acura sticks. how do u guys find it?
    I paid $620 out the door for 4 Kumho tires and a 4-wheel alignment. This was much pricier (unfortunately) than tirerack.com, but it is at a trustworthy place, where they are experts on suspensions/alignments. Next time, I may order from tirerack, and take the tires in to them. The Kumho tires are slightly harder, slightly less grip than the Yokohamas. I got 11,000 on the Yokohamas. They weren't bald, but in the rain they were already deadly. Hope to get 20k+ out of the new ones.

Don't know on the rim question, but also wondering if you're saying the other tire specs are the same (205, 16" for example.)

If you substitute sizes, be aware of the repercussions on what your speedometer reports as your speed!

If like someone said there is no suspension difference, yes you can buy the 16" tires/rims elsewhere and put them on the GT. You can buy cooler rims (if made) this way!

Acura does make a great transmission. But looking at the RSX-S, which I could have had instead of the GTS, the car doesn't compare in style. Although, the Honda seems to feel tighter build quality-wise to me. (I had a CL & Integra.)

Anyone have problems synching in 2nd gear when downshifting?
    transmission is the tightest, slickest stick I have ever used. It is really excellent, but more "notchy" than the RSX stick. I like both, but I love the smooth solid feel of the celica shifter. The gear gates are very close together, not something everyone likes.

If you go with 205/55 profile tires as opposed to 195/60 on 15" rim, you should have no problem with your speedometer. BUT if you decide to buy some 16" rims for it, prepare to have it recalibrated or it will read wrong.

No, the 16" rim is not a stock option from Toyota for the GT, but I am sure you could get them to sell you a set, or there is a huge selection of great-looking aftermarket rims out there in 16".

Oh, and yes, the 195's and the 205's will both fit the same 15" rim from Toyota - it is a 6.5.

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Nippononly: You can put 16" wheels on a car that originally had 15" and not worry about recalibrating the speedometer if you choose the right tire size. Example: If the car came with 195/60R15 tires, you can switch to 195/55R16 or 205/50R16 with no effect to the speedometer.
    but I thought he was stuck on the idea of getting 205/55 tires, in which case the speedo would read a little wrong with the 16" rims...

• misswisco2misswisco2 Member Posts: 1
    hiya what are folks getting for milage overall, i've had toyota's in the past and have run them to 210,000+ easy, and the 90'GT i'm looking at has been babied and stored in winter. just lookin' for some feedback. Many Thanks
    was an '83, so not exactly a direct comparison. It was at 250K when I sold it to a guy who is still using it as his daily driver - just saw it the other day.

• alex18talex18t Member Posts: 117
    Want to really stick to the road? I bought 225/50 15" tires for my GT. They really stick in the dry but they can be a liability if you think they're going to perform as good in the rain. Still, sticky wide rubber like that is a ton of fun when you get a curve in the road, not to mention the great "all business" look they give to the car.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    the 5S-FE motors 2 biggest concerns are:

1. Valve stems
    2. Distributor O-ring leaking

Other than that, if it's got the usual maintenance done it should be fine
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    Dose anyone know where can find the taillight for 90 Celica? I searched the web for 3 hours and I did not find any. Please help ...

My Celica has 170,000 miles and it runs good. No any major problem found. It is not easy to find the mod parts for it. Most of the companies make parts for 94 up. Too bad.
  • welst10welst10 Member Posts: 49
    try this: www.taprecycling.com.

It is useful. ^__^
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major weekly magazine would like to talk with recent Toyota buyers who are under the age of 35. If you fit this description and care to share your story, please respond to me at jfallon@edmunds.com with your name, daytime phone number and city/state of residence before Wednesday, October 16, 2002.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Do you have more resource for the celica taillight? Taprecycling.com dose not have it in stock. Thank you.
    They always have what I need...I assume the price at the dealer is outrageous?

There are several dealers on the web if you look up "toyota parts" on google, that will sell to you at wholesale for new parts.

thanks to nippon and guitar for all the useful info! i'll go shop the car sometime this winter, and let u guys know how it goes.
    wait to hear!

hey do you guys have any advice as to whether to get the '02 and save money or go with the '03?
    so unless you like those clear taillights and tiny strip of front grille on the '03, make them discount it for you and buy the '02.

• marylaxmarylax Member Posts: 12
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2000 Toyota Celica from a private seller. I have researched the car online and found that Kelleys Blue Book said it has a value of $14,645 and Edmunds said about $15,500. The seller wants $15,999 for it and won't really budge on the price because he supposedly owes $16,000 on it. I offered him $15,000 and he won't take it. Should I just forget about it and keep looking? The car is in perfect condition and only has 21,000 miles on it. I kinda have my heart set on a Celica and they are hard to find in my area without going very far away. Any ideas??
    in the thread which is now "read only"...

Celicas range a lot in price depending on trim and options, which end of the spectrum are you looking at? (GT-S with leather and side air bags, or GT with plastic wheel covers and no spoiler?)

The just got the guy to go down to $15,400. It is the Celica GT, spolier, power windows/locks, power sunroof, everything but leather. Should I try to get him down more?
    you could get this car brand new for around $18K in a manual, $18,700 in an auto. This car is already three years old, albeit with low miles. Even with credit for the miles, I would not pay more than about $14,800 for the auto, $14K flat for the stick. BUT if the seller is the type to baby the car, and it is in truly perfect shape, proper maintenance with records, etc etc, then I would probably go to $15,400 for the auto, maybe $14,800 for the stick.

Otherwise, why not put a few payments together or just save up a little, and buy the new one?

Thanks nippononly for all your advise about the Celica. I went and test drove a new one today so I am going to weigh my options and then decide. Thanks again!
  • alina_scvalina_scv Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to shop for a pre-owned Celica. But, before I spend a ton of my precious time going from dealer to dealer and test driving these cars, I hoped you experienced Celica buyers could give me some advice . . .
    This is where I’m at: I like the “rounder” look of the 1999 Celica and have always wanted a convertible, but I’m concerned about potential problems with the soft top. And, although I prefer the rounder look of the 1999 . . . if mechanically, the 2000 or 2001 Celicas are better, I am willing to consider them.
    I have heard about the problem with engine noise and vibration with the Celica - - Is this a problem only with the 2000; or also with the 1999, 2001 and 2002 models?
    I am also debating between manual vs automatic transmission - - Although manual seems like the obvious (more fun) choice for a sporty car, the fact of the matter is that I commute 3 days a week in bumper-to-bumper So. Calif. traffic . . . so, I’m seriously considering choosing an automatic - - Would I loose a lot is speed/power with the automatic transmission.
    If there are any Celica-knowledgeable readers out there . . . I would appreciate your advice on what to look for when test driving the 1999 to 2002 Celicas.
    My opinion on the tranny: You cannot choose any 4-cylinder nowadays and be happy with the performance of an automatic, if you want some good performance. (Porsche notwithstanding.)

Not sure but I think the new 2000 design is louder than previously. It DOES have its share of noise.
    and owned an '02 for a while.

The 2000 on up is a much louder thrashier engine than the 2.2L from the 1999 on back.

There is no convertible for the 2000 up.

There were not many 1999s sold, everyone knew the new model was coming, and the old one was kind of dated.

On the 2000 up, the auto really sucks the juice out of the engine. If you are into fast times, go with the manual. You should know that the gears are closely spaced, and long (7800 rpm redline on this thing), so that you can stay in one gear for a long time, in traffic. For stop and go, it has a short light clutch, so it would not be too wearing...

The '94-'99 celicas were a lot torquier, being the 2.2L. The new ones needs to be revved above 3500 rpm to make significant power. The new one LOVES to rev!

The old had timing belts, the new ones have timing chains.

If you decide to go with the previous generation, avoid anything labelled 'ST' - those had a low-po 1.8L and were slower than corollas.

And by the way, I did not sell the celica because I hated it or anything, I just ended up a little claustrophobic in there - really make sure you are comfortable with the small cockpit space before you buy, if you go with the new one!! Good Luck. :-)

• ajil112ajil112 Member Posts: 9
    just an opinion, the 98 and 99's look much nicer than the new ones, which are as we all know already "chick cars" I dont know about the performance though, thats why I decided against a 98 or 99. That and also, they are hard to find.
    the previous gen (94-99) were quite a bit heavier, and the 2.2L only had 140 hp, which is what the current base car has (also labelled GT).

The current gen corners like a go-kart, the previous ones lumbered a lot more around corners.

And BTW, '99s might be hard to find, but '98s are all over the place - they should not be hard to acquire at all.

• dirtyzdirtyz Member Posts: 1
    I'm probably much younger than the most of you (17 in late november), and I'm currently looking for a car. My parents bought me a 95 Camry LE, and frankly, it's downright slow. And boring. And an automatic. Well, you get the picture. I'm looking to get a low mile (I'm talking sub 100,000, not 20,000) 94 gt or a 93 gt-s to buy soon. The prices after what I've added on to the Camry vs. a 93 GT-S/94 GT are very close in range, so I shouldn't need to throw in any extra dough. If you have any suggestions as to where to look for a celica this old that hasn't been eaten up by an over-enthusiastic driver or any suggestions regarding my choice of car, please respond. Thanks.
  • bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    Today it rained (after months of dryness), and I discover that my wiper blades chatter and drag as they sweep across the windshield. There must be something simple I can do about this, that has not occurred to me. Ideas?

The other tiny adjustment I want to make on my Celica is with the cylinders that hold the back hatch open. They've gradually wimped out, so that when I open the back hatch it slowly closes -- annoying when you're trying to lift groceries out. Is there something I should do with those two cylinders?

Brenda
    Is your car under warranty? Have them replaced. My didn't work from the factory, then a replacement was bad. So there's plenty of bad ones out there.
    you are not in warranty, the local parts store has hatch shocks to replace most makes and models, and they won't cost that much either. They are pretty easy to install, but you will need tools.

You might try something like Rain-X for your windshield - that should smooth out the wiper operation. You might also try getting new blades.

dirtyz: you should be able to get a '93 or '94 celica for less than what the '95 camry is worth, unless it has high miles or is in lousy condition. I just saw a '93 GT-S here last weekend going for $3500, with 120K, and it was in nice shape.

• bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    Thanks, everybody -- I will go look for replacements.

Brenda
  • alex18talex18t Member Posts: 117
    If you wax your windows when you wash your car the wipers work better, well it makes wipers barely necessary. Has to be a thin coat of wax otherwise it will be hard to take off.
    -happy shifting :)
  • theworldizmyntheworldizmyn Member Posts: 16
    has anybody out there recently purchased a Certified Used 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S lately. If so how much have you paid for it. Me and my significant other have been I've been itching to get one since last year, but we didn't have much for jobs, but I've recently gotten a better job and we are more stable now. Any info on the prices, but also including the pros/cons of your personal expreience's would be helpful. Oh and I've also read that the shift gates are pretty close together. Too close for comfort. Is this problem exhagerated by the critic's as much as it really is? Thanks for any replies
    Very Kindly,
    TheWorldIzMyn
    qto this over where you posted it first, but the hype about the 6-spd shifter was just that - hype. It is a great transmissions, the gates are spaced just right for really quick shifting.