Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There are many auto transmissions that are VERY efficient now. Actually with programming for optimal fuel efficiency, they do very well on gas milage. This is just one example of many that are to come of Auto trannies getting better efficiencies than manuals.
  • voochvooch Member Posts: 92
    I forgot to mention that I drive my 2000 GT fairly hard on a regular basis. For a decent portion of my driving, the car just gets to operating temperature when I get to my destination, work. I think that may be the biggest factor in getting bad mileage.

But I always thought standards got better gas mileage. I think the most I've ever gotten is 33mpg after mostly highway driving. It upsets me to see that others with the same car can get 40mpg when mine doesn't come close! I don't get anywhere near the posted 28mpg on the sticker.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is a special case, in that it is such a high-revving car.

In particular, the engine revs much higher in 5th gear (manual) at highway speeds than it does at comparable speeds in the auto - hence the significantly higher freeway EPA number.

I always speculated that the city number was just because they expect the manual drivers to drive the car harder than the comparable auto - the auto gears are more evenly spaced, whereas the manual's gears are tightly spaced, and in order to accelerate fast, you want to rev it above 4000 on every shift.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    2000 GT auto, 20kmiles, spent one tank of gas in small city driving (just to work and back, summer, ~5 miles one end, 25-35 mph with several stops):
    1) very conservative driving (almost never over 2000 rmp): 29-30 mpg
    2) "Normal" driving, i.e. somewhat harder than family cars: ~27
    3) "Hard": ~24
  • reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    I've got a 98 Celica that idles rough, especially with the air on. It has 79,000 mi and the dealer tells me it is the torque converter and normal. Does not need repair. I asked them to increase the idle slightly as that takes care of the problem, but I get the ususal can't do as it's all in the computer, etc., etc. Anyone know how I can increase the idle? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks, Rick
    it has an idle kick-up for the A/C compressor when it is engaged, right? If that is what you mean by rough, then it is running correctly.

They are right that the idle is computer-controlled - you can't just turn it up, and even if you could, if you have an emissions check where you are, that would cause it to be a problem next time you went to register it.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    Thanks nippononly, not sure if it has an idle kick up. It seems when the air compressor goes on it drags the idle down lower. If I barely step on the accelerator, and increase the RPM's only a tiny bit it smooths out. I don't have to worry about emmissions checkpoints and only want to increase the idle a fraction. Are you sure this can't be done?

Rick
    the idle kick-up is working - let the engine idle and turn on the A/C. You should see the tach rise to around 1100-1300...if you don't, the kick-up has stopped working, and that would cause rough idle under normal circumstances - the compressor is dragging the engine down to even lower revs than it should be at. The kick-up is something you can get fixed relatively cheaply if you care, or you could just go on with it like that for a while.

• 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    In reference to the Gt being faster at lower rpm's than the Gts was that with the automatic or manual or both? Can you use the Honda S2000 antenna as a replacement for the stock one without reception problems?Does anyone know when the new body celica is coming or what will be the liter size and hp/torque of the next available engine upgrade?
    antennae, I noticed that the '03 GTS has a power retracting antenna (not the GT of course - cheapskate Toyota)...I will bet that any of the current gen celicas could be retrofitted with this power antenna instead of the huge awkward stalk that is on the car when new.

GT vs GTS acceleration at low rpm with the auto is probably pretty much a toss-up - the GTS is slower at low revs, but the auto has the manual shifting feature that the GT doesn't have, which probably would give you the edge. All I know is, when I drove the GTS auto it seemed really fast until I drove a manual, which sold me on the car.

• dq1dq1 Member Posts: 44
    It's FINALLY time to replace those noisy Dunlops that came stock on my GT and I've be doing some research at Tirerack.com. Yokohamas consistently get good reviews and I was wondering if anyone out there is running on the AVS ES100's? I saw they got really good ratings for handling, noise and treadwear, but I'd like to hear thoughts from someone that's actually running on them.
    THESE CARS ARE GREAT IN MOST AREAS BUT THE COATS OF PAINT ARE ABOUT AS THICK AS WHITE OUT CORRECTION FLUID. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO KEEP THE ROCK CHIPS AWAY FROM THE FRONT OF THE CAR?
    Anyone know of a site that has the instructions for changing out the air filter for the new celicas? I refuse to pay the dealer to do it, but it seems like you have to take half the engine apart to get in there.
  • thedog4thedog4 Member Posts: 14
    Hey folks. I am in the market to buy a car in the next few weeks. After comparing, pricing, and test driving, my short list is now down to the RSX-type S, WRX, and the Celica GTS. I am looking for comments, good, bad, or ugly (more worried about the bad and ugly) about the GTS. I killed the GTI from the list due to issues with ignition coils, breaking power windows, lack of replacement parts, and more. Thanks for you time.
    tried and true!

Will feel more bare bones than the RSX on the inside (a lot of hard plastic), will definitely be slower in a straight line than the WRX, but will have better handling (razor sharp - as much S-curve handling as you want) than both, better brakes, and a better look, IMHO! Superb clutch and shifter on this car, best of the three cars you have mentioned.

When you drive it, try backing out of a few places to see how bad that rear vision is going to be for you...there is almost no rearward or side-rear view in this car.

BTW, it is pretty expensive loaded up, so either of the others will give it a run for the money on price. For the same price it is the least powerful of the three, so unless you are the type to keep the revs at 6000 rpm, go with the WRX instead.

No recall, repair or maintenance issues for this car except back when they redesigned the 6-speed to space the gears a little farther apart because people were downshifting three gears at once and blowing their engines.

Have fun!

• bit1bit1 Member Posts: 1
    I've read about the 6speed celica GT-S and how people misshift. I really like the car, but i'm new to manual transmissions. Are celicas good for people just starting to learn how to drive stick?
    it is a wonderful transmission, closely spaced and very precise. The problem with the downshifting/overrevving problem was over-confidence, which caused people to yank on the gear shift in power downshifting, and in their enthusiasm, they would pull it over too far and pop the clutch at 70 mph into second gear, thereby red-lining the engine and killing it.

Toyota, being the good folks they are, actually replaced the engines for these folks, even though it seems a pretty clear case of user error, and then stopped production for a few months while they redesigned the transmission, spacing the gears further apart. That all happened more than a year ago now.

• guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    These particular tires wear quick---no real all-season available, only softer performance tires. NEED to buy good tires. My 2nd set is Kumho and they don't nearly keep up with the performance of the car.

Everyone looks at this car...much better looking than the RSX if you asked me, and I like Acura, I think they feel somewhat more solid than Toyota's. You'd probably get into your Acura dealer quicker for service calls, unless they are servicing many different makes to keep busy. Toyota is always swamped.
  • dmrasdmras Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone experienced a chronic problem with filling up with gas and it overflowing/spilling when the pump kicks off?

I have a 2003 Celica GT, and no matter how slow I fill it or where (with or without a vapor knozzle). When the pump kicks off (even without topping it off), a little gas always ends up running down the paint.

I have tried doing it slow, different gas stations and so on. I called the dealer, but he is already giving me a story saying that there is probably no problem. I wanted to hear what everyone here has to say before taking it in.

Thanks
    I thought the newer pumps would always prevent spills...if there is a problem with the car guys, could it be a problem with a vapor canister? (Does this/all cars have one? I'm only guessing.)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Thats not normal. I would be willing to bet your purge valve is malfunctioning. This valve is located in the gas filler neck and is part of the emission system. I have heard gas spilling problems occuring on other cars and it was this valve that was cited as the problem.
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    dmras:

I have a 2000 GT-S; I've never had any gas spill problems.

bit1:

I learned stick on a 2000 GT-S, and I haven't had any problems. Most of the misshifts come from very AGGRESSIVE shifting, ie people downshifting really fast in order to chase another car. If you take it easy, then you shouldn't have any misshift problems. I seem to recall hearing that RSX's were having the same misshift problems.

thedog4:

I'd have to say the rearward visibility is the current celica's biggest weakness. I don't really have that many problems viewing 6 o'clock, but the left-rear and right-rear view (blind spots) can take some getting used to. Overall, it's a great car.
    I have noticed the same problem i have a 2003 and it might be just the 2003 model. Just as the shifter problem i dont see to be with the 03.If it is not the purge valve or they say they can not find the problem, leave it alone. Just estimate the amount of fuel you need to be close to fill up. I have found that when the dealer can not find it or say they dont see a problem sometimes they just make it worse. I have also noticed the passenger seatbelt light some times starts flashing even when the passenger door was not opened for a passenger. Mainly when i hit a bump but i will wait till i have another issue and at that time i will mention it to the tech.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Actually, the passenger seatbelt light is activated via weight on the passenger seat. It doesn't have anything to do with the passenger door being opened or not. Try it sometime. With the engine running, just lean over and rest your hand on the middle of the seat and put some weight behind it. You should see the passenger seatbelt light go on. I'm guessing that you're seeing the light go on when you have something on the seat when you go over the bumps.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • mareaolsonmareaolson Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I'm probably buying a used 93 GT this week and am wondering if anyone has anything to say about this car (highlights, trouble spots, recommendations, etc.) The car runs very well and looks excellent and I'm having a mechanic look at it tomorrow, but I'd love some feedback from anyone with experience with one of these. Direct emails would be great: marea@nwlink.com
    Thanks!
    HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE 03 CELICA.I FIGURE THE HALF TANK TO BE ABOUT 7 GALLONS . WHEN I GET TO ABOUT 6 GALLONS ON THE GAS PUMP , I ALLOW THE GAS TO GO IN THE TANK VERY SLOWLY UNTIL IT REACHES FULL. DOING IT THIS WAY HAS HELPED STOP THE PROBLEM UNTIL THE FACTORY CAN FIX IT.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I am a current owner of a 91 GT Hatchback. It has 154,000 miles and I bought it last November. The car drives great. My mother has had a 90 Celica GT-S since new.

I can tell you from experience that these cars have few blemishes. The 93's were last of this generation. Front axles and cv boot are the questionable parts, although all other front drives do the same. Power antennae is expensive to replace, if its broke, make sure it is staying in the up position.

Both my of these cars are wonderful highway cars and they can carry lots of stuff (hatchbacks). The GT's seats are extremely comfortable.

Expect average performance and high 20's gas mileage.
    with a power antenna, it can be expected to break about every two years or so. They just are not made very strong. The mast itself is pretty cheap to buy, and for the celica models it is pretty cheap for the labor too, or you could just learn to do it yourself - it is pretty easy.

• walter99walter99 Member Posts: 10
    I love my Celica, but I never thought that any car made would have worse side/rear visibility.

Well, I was wrong. Checked out the Nissan 350Z yesterday and it is worse, much worse. I'm not sure what I would have done if I would have had to back up.

Salesman told me it wouldn't matter, I'd be passing everyone anyway. That was not particularly comforting.
    I'm hoping someone that visits these boards can give me some insight on valves. I have a 2001 Toyota Celica GT with 35k miles on it. The valves are adjusted using shims. In the morning when cold, the valves are pretty noisy before the engine warms up. Once warm, the engine sounds ok. The dealer insists that no adjustment is necessary and that the engine warranty is good until 50k miles anyway. My questions are:

1. What causes valves to click?
    2. Is this normal for a car with so few miles on it?
    3. Is there any possibility of the valves (or anything else) being damaged or the longevity of the engine being reduced?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    DQ1, I am not innately knowledgeable about how the tops of these newer engines work. It has, however, been my understanding that overhead cam engines need periodic tappet adjustments, for which the customer is expected to pay. I only say that part because it sounds like rather than address the problem, your dealer is trying to avoid free warranty work. But if the engine does not sound like it did when new, I would investigate having this done. I prefer dealers in this case, because I have a biased view that they are best when dealing with these types of tolerances, and know more than anyone what they're doing. In your case I'm not sure. Did you speak to maintenance, or a salesperson? If sales, I'd just waltz over to maintenance and have this discussion with them.

About mileage...I'm trying to remember, but I think I had a tapping at 40k in my Integra. Had the tappets adjusted, and it sounded new again. Remember, although Toyota makes quality engines, these new engines are very sophisticated. Especially if you really push the engine, yea, I would expect periodic adjustments. At 35k it seems reasonable to me. Notwithstanding--I'm not making a long-distance diagnosis, just following up on what you have told us.
    I've taken it to the dealer and at first they diagnosed it as needing an adjustment. I dropped it off for the scheduled appt. and when I went to pick it up, they told me the famous "this is normal and nothing needs to be done!" Needless to say, I wasn't too happy. I pressed the service manager to tell me how much it would cost if I had to pay for it myself and he finally told me $800 because these engines use a system of shims that I guess is difficult to work with (this is in stark contrast to my wife's Civic which costs $80 for a valve adjusment because it uses set screws and is very easy to adjust). I have now gotten Toyota customer assistance involved and I'll see where that leads. I tend to agree that I think they are trying to avoid costly warranty work. I have to say that I'm not totally impressed with the overall quality of this car. I think the accountants are having a little too much say in how the new Toyota's are being built :) And the kicker is the service manager told me that Toyota pays the dealership far more for warranty work than what the dealership charges customers. I must have been having one of those days where I had that "dumbest person on the face of the Earth" look going on.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    If the car is under warranty, TAKE IT TO THE DEALER. They can't 'empty your wallet' for a warranty item. At only 20 months and 16k miles, you're still covered under the bumper-bumper warranty. Do NOT wait until the 3yr/36k miles warranty is up.

Also, are you driving a GT or GTS? If you have a GT, your dealer will tell you to NOT put premium in the car; even though premium is 'better', the GT is designed for regular. Use what it is designed for. If you are driving a GTS then yes, you need to use premium.
  • marylaxmarylax Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 Celica GT, and I was thinking about replacing the factory standard antenna with the Honda S2000 antenna. I have heard of many 7th Gen Celica owners making the change because it makes the car look a lot better. But I also have read that the S2000 antenna doesn't screw on all the way and leaves a gap which causes for poor radio reception. Since the S2000 antenna only costs about $25.00 from the dealership and it should be pretty easy to change, I was thinking of giving it a try. If any one on here who has made the change or has known anyone who has, please let me know how it works. Thanks!
    Marylax, are you talking about a standard mast antenna? I would investigate a $40 electric antenna from a retail store. The hardest part is finding power, especially, trying to get the antenna to go up/down with the radio power. If you or you know someone who has done any sort of install, this could be a good option.
    Yes, I am talking about the standard mast antenna. I have heard that the elecrtic ones tend to break, so that was why I was thinking about the S2000 because it isn't operated by power. Do you think that it isn't a good idea to do the switch?
  • wscc1wscc1 Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone tried to find replacement wiper refills for the driver side of the new Celica (2000 up)?
    It is 26 inches (or more likely 650 mm) long and the narrow width. I have readily found refills for the passenger side and rear wipers, but no one seems to make anything longer than 24 inches.
    Am I stuck with going to Toyota for these?
    Marylax, that switch is cool by me. I just thought of this option to give you while you are still thinking about it :)
    Wscc1, I use Bosch wiper replacements all around and they fit perfect. I can't remember the exact size of the driver's side, but the clearance between it and the passenger wiper is tight and I've never had a problem with the Bosch's. Whatever you do, don't wait to replace them. I've found that the windshield glass on the Celica scratches much easier than any other car I've had.
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    This large driver-side wiper is a rare thing - I bought it from special auto store (Walmarts don't have right size), and it was about $16, even salesman was surprized...
    Easiest change in the world; and actually I've never heard of anyone having reception problems after changing antennae.

(I've had mine for about 2 years)

In fact, for me ths s2000 is sorta better. My old one used to gradually wobble loose over time so I'd have to retighten it.
    Thanks for the info gambit. I am defiantly going to make the change on it once the weather gets better. I can't stand the way that the one that is on there now looks!
    just change the mast, or did you have to change to base unit that goes through the metal too?
    I just changed the mast (i guess). Just unscrewed the old and screwed on the new. If you go to a celica site like newcelica.org or teamcelica.com , you'll see a bazillion pics of celicas with the s2k antenna.

Not sure how the 2003 celica owners would go about this with the retractable antenna.

(I am not REMOTELY technical, so if I can do a given "mod," then anyone can)
  • wscc1wscc1 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks dq1 and Sergeis. I was looking for the just the inserts - not the entire blade.
    ANCO makes a perfect insert (16 inches) for the passenger side and rear (19 inches) but nothing longer than 24 inches. I did try looking at the BOSCHUSA web site and went
    through their part finder only to get some message like "NO PARTS FOR THIS CAR".
    I guess the only source is Toyota.
    the dealer, you might want to try Autozone or Discount Auto Parts and look for the Bosch replacement. You will have to replace the whole blade, not just the insert, but believe it or not, it's easier to replace the whole blade than it is to do just the insert (I've had the cuts to prove it). Also, I've found that the Bosch blades last longer and they are an exact fit to the wiper arm. They don't "wiggle" around when they are operating. Happy hunting!
    the S2000 antenna and installed it yesterday. There is a small gap due to the way Toyota designed the base, but the connection is solid and I think it looks a whole lot better than the stock "lightning rod"! There is absolutely no difference in my reception. Hope this helps.
    Where did you buy your antenna from? From a Honda dealer or online?

Also, thanks for the info!
    You can check at your local Honda dealer. It should cost around 14/15 $.

If they are trying to charge you more, buy online.

Part number is 632621.

http://www.hparts.com/cgi-bin/bcimports/623621
     or http://www.handaaccessories.com/s2000ext.html

(I hope this doesn't count as SPAM. I'm just trying to help another user, not sell junk.)
  • bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    I bought an entire wiper blade at Automart, but it was the wrong size. Cost $20, too. Then I went to the Toyota parts store and bought just the rubber insert for $3.00. My husband installed it in ten minutes.

Brenda