Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• dq1dq1 Member Posts: 44
    I just happen to have the invoice right here on my desk. The part no. is 623621. I think Gambit transposed the 2nd and 3rd digits. Anyway, I just went down to my local Honda dealer because they had them in stock. The cost was $23.10 + tax. Like Gambit said, you might be able to find it cheaper on the web.
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    My fault! You're right, dg, I scrambled the two digits.
  • xlra8xlra8 Member Posts: 2
    believe it or not, the best deal on wiper blades is at your local toyota dealer. i got all three refills for $12 and they were easy to install. just follow the instructions. the only sad part was they had to order them and i had come back in 3 days. but best of all they are OEM toyota quality which goes a long way with me.
  • wscc1wscc1 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for all the information on the wiper blades/inserts. The aftermarket blades are never as
    good as the OEM (they usually tend to spin when you lift them away from the glass). Also, it seem such a waste to replace the entire blade when you only need the rubber. The aftermarket inserts are great in that they don't use the typical Japanese insert with the steel "blades", which is near impossible to keep the rubber and the two steel "blades" together as you slide the assembly through the hooks. The cost is comparable - usually about $5 to $6 for a set of two inserts versus the (as stated) $3 for one OEM.
    I just replaced my driver blade too (thanks to the helpful info here); the blade inserts from Toyota actually come with a little plastic clip which attaches to the insert to hold the metal blades in place. After you finish assembling the blade, you remove the plastic clip.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Just replaced all 3 windshield wipers. It was a pain (91 GT). However, the dealer did it free.

I have owned two other Celicas in the past, a 78 and a 79. The 91 is leaps and bounds over those cars in most categories execpt for the fun of having rear wheel drive (powerslides).

You can tell the Camry chassis is there as well as the seats.

However; in performance, its no Corolla GT-S or a modern day Corolla GT-S (00-present Celica).
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Has anyone put the TRD quick shifter in an '01 Celica GT? If so, what do you think of this mod and how much shorter are the throws?

I'm thinking that if just the leather shift knob online goes for about $70, for an extra $80, getting the shifter and knob together isn't such a bad deal. One of my only comfort complaints on the GT is that it didn't come with the leather wrapped steering wheel or shift knob :( Getting just the leather wrapped steering wheel from the dealer is $580. What a rip off.
    The new Celica is really a Corolla. Toyota decided to keep the Celica moniker which I am glad they did.
    Are you saying that the current celica shares the same chassis as the current corolla?

If so, I'm not sure if that's true. I know that the Matrix/Vibe share the same chassis as the new corolla, and that the Matrix/Vibe also share an engine with the celica. But as far as I know the current corolla and celica don't really share any major components.
    they mean that the celica GT engine is the same engine used in the corolla, although with a different intake and exhaust for a 10 hp power gain. The platform is the same - everything else is different. In particular, the suspension set-up is completely different, resulting in razor sharp turn-in and other handling characteristics. Also the manual transmission is worlds apart from the 5-speed in the corolla.

Back then the best celica comparison to the corolla GTS was the celica GT, and there were a number of similarities in the drive between the two, because the handling and power of the celica were not as good as they could have been...if they made a corolla GTS today, the handling would still be way different from the celica's. Corolla GTS buyers back then bought them for the extra power in the comfy-riding corolla 2-door chassis.

Later on they substituted the celica ST for the corolla GTS and did away with it altogether, and if they still made a celica ST today, I am sure that would be the "corolla GTS" of the celica line.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

The Corolla GT-S really did not have a replacement until the new Celica GT-S. The Paseo replaced the 2-door Corolla line in 1992 and it lasted until 1997. We all know that the paseo was not much of a replacement.

The Celica ST came out in 71, GT in 74, GT-S in 82 or 83, with the All-trac in 88. Since the GT-S model, all of those models up till 1993 were serious handlers. My mom has a 1990 GT-S and I have proved the theory. All-tracs also handled well, however, they were heavier like the Supra and extremely rare. The 94-99 GT's were also known to handle. I know the new Celicas take handling to a higher level, but handling has been a strength in the past Celica. The new ones just have more power and less weight.

In 1990, the ST used a Corolla engine up till 1997, but it was still built off a Camry chassis. These ST'S had little power because the GT and GT-S from these years had average power like the one I currently own.

The Corolla GT-S from 85-91 shared most of its mechanicals with the 85-89 MR2. This basically meant high reving, short close shifter, loud motor, keep the neighbors up machine. Just this sound familiar with the new Celica GT-S. Finding parts for the car sometimes was annoying because they were unique. The new Celica doesn't share parts with the Corolla but it does share some with the Matrix. Same is true today.

Performance for my 89 Corolla GT-S was in the late 7's, early 8's range 0-60, and I did 135 in it once. There hasn't been a car since the Corolla GT-S that has been equivalent, maybe except for an Integra GS-R, but not from Toyota.

The new Celica (generation) is really close.

If you have looked at Celica History. They have low torque and redline low also. I know my 79 Celica that I had redlined at 5500 rpm and cruised at 2100 rpm. Up til 85, the Celicas shared the same engines they put in the little trucks. The 86-89 GT-S engine was somewhat close (It had a redline of 7000 with 135hp and somewhat less torque), but the engines haven't been since 90, till the new generation GT-S models in 00.

My 89 Corolla GT-S redlined at 7700 rpm, and crusied at 3400 rpm.

Doesn't the new Celica GT-S redline at 8000?

There is also no question that the Corolla and Matrix are made to be more stodgy. However, all of the engines in all three cars come from the same 1.8 makeup. One is built for 4WD 123hp, one for sedan quiteness 130hp, one to be slighlty higher 140hp, and to have fun 180hp.

I know the Corolla GT-S is one of the most underappreciated cars from the Toyota lineup, but the new Celica brings back not only the Corolla GT-S, but the old MR2 as well. Imagine if they put the 180hp in the new MR2.

The new Celica blends the handling prowness of previous Celicas (certain ones mentioned above)and the rev-happy performance of previous MR2's and Corolla GT-S's. The current generation also is smaller, weighs less, uses a 1.8 liter engine (weight), and costs less (adjusted for CPI) than several generation Celicas.
    that corolla GTS was so underappreciated - it was a great little car, and you still see plenty of slammed GTS's around, even now 15 years later. Compare that to the new celica - there are still very few with any aftermarket mods at all, despite Toyota's design intention to get "the kids" and aftermarket enthusiasts interested in this model again after a decade.

Problem was, corolla GTS competed too closely with celica, so Toyota had an infight on its hands. The corolla lost when they discontinued it. You can see why too, from the really lousy sales of the Paseo for those years. Paseo was really just a two-door Tercel in a slightly sportier, more stylish package.

• zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    IMHO the best celicas Toyota ever produced were the model years 1986-1989. These cars were roomy,zippy,great looking ,and available with options only found on more expensive cars[heated mirrors,tilt-telescopic steering wheel,auto shutoff lights-if you left them on they shut off as soon as the door was opened,digital dash,adjustable wiper delay,power ant,power seat].When my 86 GT was rear ended and totaled I upgraded to a 92 GTS which was great looking,but a total dog performance wise and only got 20-23 mpg-I averaged 30 with my 86 GT.I sold that after 1 year and got an 86 GTS ,which was a great car until I retired it-a victim of rust and old age,leaky seals etc.My current car is a 2003 Matrix XR[no room for 6'3"me in the new celicas,too narrow leg space]and it is a good car,but if I could get a new 86-89 GTS I would have it rustproofed and drive it til it dies!
    Ok, I see; so you're saying that the current celica GT-S is the descendent of the Corolla GTS in spirit.

It'd be interesting if Toyota decided to make a performance version of the new Corolla (not that silly S-type package).

Interesting discussion. Thanks for sharing the info, all.

Btw, I think the actual engine cutoff for the current GT-S engine is 8200 (except for the 2002 Celica GT-S, which had an earlier engine cutoff).
    Thought I'd share that I'm meeting with my Southeast Toyota Rep. tomorrow because my local Service Director won't work with me anymore because I might file under Florida's Lemon Law.

I put together a summary of all repairs done on my 2001 Celica GT in the past 2 years to get a feel for my cars overall quality. Here are my surprising results. My car has been in the shop for 29 warranty repairs! Of those, 18 are unique, the remainder are items which required more than one visit.

Repair items range from window regulator to belt and tensioner to a metallic rattling noise coming from a cold engine (still a mystery to the dealer) to horrible wind noise and water leaks.

I thought this one would last me for a long time, but I think its time for an RSX. I hope all of you have better luck than I did.
    you should mention those water leaks - I remember when I first got mine the window had been installed misaligned...it went up and down just fine, but when I went to the car wash, BOY did I get a cold wet surprise! It came sloshing in as if the window were down!

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    My cousin has an automatic 2000 GTS. He was driving down the road in the fog (not sure if road or interstate) and hit something on the road and now his air conditioning isn't working. Does anyone know what might have happened? The object he hit is unknown.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Whoa! Physical damage--get it looked at. Who knows? Could have cut the belt and done damage elsewhere.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    More than likely either the drier or the condenser for the AC system was damaged. The drier is a metal cylindrical canister normally located in the front of the car around the grill area. The condenser looks just like the radiator and is also located at the very front of the car in the grille. The object he hit probably punctured one of these items and let all the freon out. Good luck.
    Definitely get it looked at. The new celicas have a plastic "shield" under the engine compartment. My guess is to decrease drag and keep sand/dirt out of the engine compartment. I've seen the dealer remove it everytime the oil is changed. Whatever he hit had to go through that plastic shield before damaging something in the engine compartment. If it were mine, I'd definitely have it seen by a pro.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi Everyone - It would be nice to see some vehicle updates in here. Anyone interested in sharing some details about their Toyota Celica? If you'd like, you can list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.

2. MPG & Driving habits. Any differences in mpg since you first purchase?

3. Any additional accessories & mods?

4. Maintenance issues to date.

5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?

6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your vehicle since you first purchased....

Share as much (or as little) information as you'd like. I'm sure other Celica owners/shoppers passing through here, would find the information quite interesting, if not helpful. Also, you can report back every 3-5k to update again. Who's game?

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    I have a 2000 GTS with approximately 50K miles. If Toyota is listening here is how I would suggest updating it so that it is competitive with the other cars in its class (Acura, WRX, etc.).
    First: Do something about the transmission so you can make clean down shifts. An autocrosser this car isn't.
    Second: I would much prefer a 2.0 liter engine that made 160 HP with a 7000 RPM red line but that made a reasonably flat 160 ft/lbs between 4000 and 7000 RPM.
    What was Toyota thinking when they put such a peaky engine with a transmission that can't be shifted???? If either the Subaru or Acura were available (or Honda made the Civic Si look half decent) when I was in the market, I would have never bought the Celica. I've almost decided to take the depreciation hit and go looking again.
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    wscc1-

I have an 01 GT-S with about 30K miles. I haven't had any problems shifting, especially down-shifting. I could maybe complain a little that 1st and 2nd gear ratios are a little to far apart to easily keep the engine in the sweet spot. But other than that, I think the tranny is great and wouldn't change a thing. What exactly is happening during your down-shifts that you don't like?

Just my opinion here, but I would hope they don't change the engine. If you want a flat broad power band, maybe they could boost the GT. I love the Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde personality of the GT-S. Under normal city driving I never need that higher output from 6000+ rpms, I need the good gas mileage you get with the lower output. But, if Toyota were to invest in engine upgrades, I'd keep the 1.8L displacement and put in some lighter parts (Ti) so the redline could be 9000 rpms, like the S2000. Then they'd have a perfect engine (for me at least).

Not that I don't have any complaints that I'd love them to revamp for the next generation. The seats should wrap around more for better lateral support. It would be great if there was and inch or two more head room without raising the outside roof line (I'd love to sit more upright without opening the sunroof for my head!). Redesign the outside body from the middle back, the front half of the car looks great but I can't stand the second half (almost like they had two design teams, front team and back team). Finally, how about giving the GT the 16" wheels and the GT-S 17" as standard equipment.

Just my $.02....
    I agree with your view of the styling, if you mean the rear quarters. The actual back is fine. The rear quarters would look much better and give more "open-ness" to the interior if the window line was straight from the front to rear windows instead of sloping up. (Also, it would be great if manufacturers standardized front headlights as was the case when you could buy a headlight anywhere for a few bucks instead of only from the manufacturer at $300 a pop. I had conversion Halogen
    headlights in a number of my earlier cars that were only about $50 a pair and worked great.)I also would like to see a strip on the sides to protect against parking lot dings.

As for the transmission, I heard that it was improved slightly after '00 but still is a "bear". I have no real problem with it in normal "street" driving, However, autocrossing is another story. That requires fast, no thinking 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 shifts and that can not be done.

The engine you talk about is not reasonable either from a cost or normal driving point of view. Adding Titanium parts would greatly up the costs and ask S2000 drivers if they would like more torque. As per my proposal, there would be almost no additional cost for manufacturing (ie. re-profiled cams, re-maped electronics) and, if anything, would improve gas mileage - especially if you are not visiting the upper rev range of the engine very often.
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Yes, the rear quarter panels are what I was referring to, needs some re-work.

At least the bulbs they are using in the headlights are standardized. But lookout if you have replace the lens assembly, that's expensive. BTW, have you had to replace a fog light bulb, those were a pain to replace.

On the transmission, 1 to 2 works great on mine although I have to slip it a little going into 2nd sometimes to keep the rpm's at or above 6K. I probably haven't done many brisk 2 to 1 shifts so I can't say how it does there. But, I get many 6 to 3 and 5 to 2 shifts when driving a twisty 2-lane and need to pass and it's almost flawless. If I had to nit-pick I would make it harder to hit the R gate area by requiring the lever to be pushed down/in (like S2000) before dropping over to R.

I know, it's not practical to use Ti parts in a car at this price and sure, more torque is always nice. It would be nice if the top end of the VVTLi was a little broader. If they can't maintain reliability and increase the redline, then I'd be happy with them lowering shift-over point down from 6K to 5250-5500 rpm range (which wouldn't cost them anything to produce).

I'm still very happy with handling, this thing can pull some serious lateral G's. Though it becomes unsettled easily on pavement irregularities and such.

The gas mileage has been great, much better than my Prelude before the Celica. I get 29-31mpg around town, lots of stop and go, and 36-38mpg on the highway.

I probably won't replace it with another Celica when this one dies, it's just not that comfortable to me for anything more than a couple of hours of driving.

-Pete
    I purchased my '01 Celica GT thinking this was going to be the car that would last me 150k miles with no trouble as long as I was very diligent about the maintenance. Boy was I wrong.

I have a three ring binder with all of my maintenance and warranty repair work in it. All my maintenance was done on time and I'm not that hard on the car, rarely taking it over 80 on the highway or past 5k rpm's.

The Southeast Toyota rep. worked with my local dealer to explain why seemingly overnight, my engine has started to make noticeable clicking sounds timed with the rpm's, especially when the engine is cold. The diagnosis, pre-ignition spark knock - translation ' "We don't know".

I put a summary sheet of my warranty repairs together to show the dealer and rep. My celica has been in the shop for 29 warranty repairs, 18 of them unique and all within 35k miles. I think Toyota has embraced the heinous philosophy of "Value Engineering". For example, the quality of the interior materials is no where near what it was in past generations. I've had more rattles than my cheap old Saturn (piece of junk). I'm driving my car until the engine warranty is up at 50k and dumping the car, probably for a Honda or Subaru.

I can't remember the publication I read this in, but I do remember the ratios which are quite interesting. To paraphrase: For every car Toyota sells, it has four administrative people (accountants, engineers, VP's, etc...). For Honda, that number is two! That means that in order for Toyota to remain competitive, they have to cut costs somewhere and it's showing in their cars! This is why you can get a comparably equipped RSX for less than a Toyota with much better build quality and materials. Sorry Toyota, you had your chance, but I will certainly never buy one again and I let all my freinds and family no about my close friendships with the service department at the dealership!
    dg1,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. However, I think it's fair to say that yours was an anomaly. Statistically, most consumer sources list the celica as highly reliable. Sounds like you A) were just really unlucky and B) possibly got stuck with a really sucky or incompetent dealership. Did you look into your state's lemon laws?

I am quite happy with my 2000 GT-S (almost 36,000 miles). Its looks and handling are fabulous, and I generally get excellent fuel mileage. Of course it's not perfect:

1) Biggest problem is visibility, especially the side-rear views. I have my side mirrors adjusted for the blind spots, but I still turn and check everytime I switch lanes. Granted, this is a problem with many cars with swept back styling (350z, focus zx3). It just takes some getting used to.

2) I don't know if they have since fixed this or not, but the stock cd-plyer (JVL?) really sucks. The sound quality is good enough, but the cd player tends to skip at the slightest provocation. Actually it's quite inconsistent. Sometimes I can bounce over brick roads and the cd player will be fine. Other times I'll go over a pebble and the cd will hiccup. Of course most hardcore audiophiles will probably replace the stock system right away anyway.

3) There has been a problem with cold/wet starts that results in an annoying whirring/squealing noise at low rpms. This problem has been identified by Toyota, and there is a TSB out on it. It's caused by a faulty belt tensioner and it affects some 2000 and 2001 celicas. Toyota will fix it for you, and that's all fine and dandy....BUT, the problem comes back. At least for me and a couple of other celica owners I know. I currently have an appointment to get mine serviced again. It's not a serious problem, but it is annoying that it can't be taken care of once and for all.

4) Here's what would be really cool: a factory turbo version of the celica. Maybe throw in AWD too. A lot of third-party vendors have been struggling with turbo kits for the current celica, but I bet TRD could pull off an effective and reliable one.
  • marylaxmarylax Member Posts: 12
    I am just about to hit 30,000 miles on my 2000 Celica and was thinking about getting the 30,000 mile maintenance on it at the Toyota Dealership. Is this a good idea and worth the $?
    If you plug your vehicle into Edmunds Maintenance Guide, you'll find manufacturer-recommended service schedules and costs. Others here may have more to add. Good luck.

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
    Hi Mary,

I don't know the cost and that may sway my opinion. (I have 20k on my 2000GTS.) I DO prefer to have my car serviced at Toyota if possible, as I think they tend to know the cars better than local mechanics. Sometimes these services are outrageously priced. And I just might pick and choose the services I want. I go elsewhere for oil changes, filters, tire balance, rotations, etc. If they do tappet adjustments at 30k, I think that may be important, and good for the dealer to do. The fluid checks/topoffs are typically moneymakers. Check your own fluids at $0 cost. Unless one checks periodically, one won't know if there is a brake/steering/other leak, right?
    if you need to have something covered later under warranty, they will not be able to challenge your claim if a Toyota dealer has done all the regular maintenance.

Toyota will charge you $400-500 for this service, depending on the area you live in. It is a lot - an independent will do all the same stuff for 1/3 less $$.

• tiffanie005tiffanie005 Member Posts: 1
    I got my first car, a bright red 2000 Toyota Celica GT, about almost a year ago and I absolutely love it. I have had absolutely no problems with it other than the not-so-roomy backseat that passengers seem to hate and a few minor problems caused by myself. The backseat thing doesn't matter to me of course being as I never have to squeeze into it and I have managed to carry 7 passengers even though my car had to look like one of the clown cars at the circus. Mileage is good, it is definitely a car that turns heads... It's been called flashy, hot, and even sexy, I must say I'm jealous of my car. Haha but seriously if any of you are considering getting this car I would definitely recommend it. It's sound system is spectacular even without bumps or anything and the general quality is above and beyond standards.
    and thanks for your notes. We look forward to hearing more about your Toyota Celica experience. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    I recently added a Sirius Satellite Radio to my 2000 GTS. Best upgrade one could ever have. Admittedly, I was a sales rep. for Sirius, and did get the hardware for free. But I absolutely love it, and probably won't live without it again. The only problem is I'm leasing the car, and won't keep it. Angh, it will probably just take 10 minutes to remove the Satellite stuff.

So far, I rest the tuner control in front of or behind the stick shift. I would like it on the dash so I can readily see the channel information, but I have yet to decide if I really want to mount it. That's a BIG problem because I constantly hear great songs I've never heard before and need to read the tuner. My favorites are the classic rock, 60's, 70's, and 80's stations.
  • marylaxmarylax Member Posts: 12
    Well I ended up getting the 30K mile service on my car. I figured it was a good idea because if anything went wrong in the future with the car I want to make sure that they cover it. The most important thing that I got done was the transmission fluid flush (I have an automatic trans). They even replaced my wipers for me! Though the whole thing cost me about $330, I think that it will be worth it in the long run.
    because it was not within our Town Hall guidelines. To those concerned: Please check your email for an explanation. Thanks!

And now, back to the subject of Toyota Celica. Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host/Hatchback & Wagons
    I'm interested in a 1998 Celica GT hatch with almost 80K miles. It has leather and a sunroof. Can anyone please give me some insight as to how well these things are built and what problems a model with this age might have? I currently own a loaded 1996 Corolla DX and am a strong believer in Toyota and Honda products. I was originally looking for a similar Celica when I bought the Corolla in January 2002. The trade up would cost several thousand and I'm not sure whether the insurance jump will be significant as I am teen. This Celica may not have much power, but I'm sure the insurance will be higher than an econocar with the same power. Thanks! Overall, a worthy trade?
    that is the engine that had the sludge TSB, so you may want to have it specially checked out, maybe at a Toyota dealer. It is covered under warranty though.

Apart from that, I am sure the insurance jump WILL be significant, but this car is fun to drive, from my own experience. Worth the extra money over a corolla.

• i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    He lives in Kentucky, I'm sure the insurance increase won't be as sharp like it would be in New York (esp NYC) or California (esp LA/SF/SD/etc.).

Geography plays an important part with insurance rates.
    Wouldn't the warrantly have run out by now? I was fearing it was a sludge engine, but our 1999 Solara V6 which has a sludge engine, has gone 150,000 trouble-free miles.

Who would be best to check for sludge issues with this engine?

Thanks for any and all advice!
    I called the dealer concerning the car today. Wow! Even the power antenna works and that's a rarity on these Toyotas! The car also has ABS but the dealer doesn't have the keyless remote for the car, if it does indeed have it. It should, since the car is practically loaded with leather and moonroof and with what look to be premium wheels.

My only concern now is the keyless entry. I know those can be had on Ebay, but would the specific system on this car (if already installed) limit the fobs to those older styles with the soft, rubbery buttons as opposed to the current, more compact better ones? My 1996 Corolla has the old style which I REALLY hate because the batteries drain quickly and the same button locks and unlocks the car. Any insight on this is much appreciated!
    this car would be covered out to 100K miles or 2006, under the special extended warranty Toyota provides for cars affected by the sludge issue. That warranty is just for engine damage related to sludging.

As for keyless, by '98 Toyota was using the remotes with separate buttons for locking and unlocking. If they can't find the remote at the dealer, I am sure you could order a new one, although it would be pricey. Or you could have a new alarm installed and bypass the existing keyless altogether.

I would think long and hard before buying a celica of this particular vintage. I had a 92 GTS and loved it at first,it looked great had a super stereo[system 10],leather interior,and all the bells and whistles.But after about 3 months it's extreme lack of get up and go had me bored and looking for another car.Poor gas mi.around 22 average was also a big minus.Toyota basically made the 86-89 celicas[quick and sporty]into a heavy underpowered[except the all-track] 'chick car'and performance and good fuel economy would not return til 2000.I remember seeing a 99 new one going for 25k next to a new 2000 gts for 23k so they were also overpriced when new.Just MHO of course.
    curbed at about 2750 pounds and had about 135/135 hp and torque. These numbers are almost identical to the numbers for the 96-02 non-VTEC integra, which is not generally considered a slow car, I think.

The 90-99 celicas were 300 pounds heavier than their predecessors, without a power increase, which would be noticeable to anyone who had owned an older one. But they were in the ballpark for performance with their peers at the time.

The real genius Toyota injected into the current celica is they went back to the old weight - base GT at 140 hp has a curb weight of just 2425 with a manual.

Now as for price, well, celica has always been a little overpriced, IMO. But OTOH, so are many Toyotas. And the celicas do tend to hang around for a very long time, so in the end they pay you back for your higher initial investment.

I really don't pay much attention to the 0-60 times or torque figures that the car mags tout so much.All I know is when coasting along in 1st when I stepped on the gas in my 86GT -97hsp,118 ft lbs torque it jumped foward,the 92GTS felt like it was accelerating into a strong wind ,like something was holding it back.As far as gas mi.,I knew people with 6 cyls who were getting better mpg. A complete tuneup and diagnostic did not help.When the car mags did their 90s comparos the Integra GSR and turbo Eclipse were always featured,the Celica was left out as it couldn't compete, performance wise.The 90s Celicas were nice cars ,but mediocre perfomance and fuel economy ruined their appeal for me.
    were "lo-po" by today's standards, and the reason they were never compared to the GSR and Eclipse Turbo was because one was rated at 60 hp higher, while the other had a 30 hp advantage.

The couple of years they made all-trac turbo celicas in the 90s, however, they did just fine for themselves in competition with these other brands.

Something that Honda has always known, and Toyota found out or remembered somehow when it reversed celica's course with the year 2000 redo, is that lighter is always better in a sport coupe.

That the value of a 99 celica GT loaded with all opps. in exc cond. goes for 13,770 dealer retail and 10,695 private party value which is a ways off the 25k price 4 years previous.Compared to a new RSX type S at 23,650 it was a poor value then and now.Good thing Toyota saw the light and made it lighter,faster,and much less costly.Otherwise it probably would've gone the way of the Supra.
    Now that I own a 91 Celica GT, here is my comments. Its a slower car, especially after my last car, an 89 Corolla GT-S. However, it does get 30 mpg and it rides like a Camry. Its a wonderful highway car. It had 151,000 when I bought it last November. Now it has 162,000.

Lets look back in performance and the Celica. The first three generation Celicas all had moderate performance with so-so gas mileage. My first two cars were 78 and 79 models. They averaged 18 mpg with 10.4 0-60 times. The 86-89 generation not only put some performance in the car, but told many police stations around the country to get faster cars to catch them. My 89 Corolla was built in a similar nature. The same generation Celicas also got cool mileage. I have heard some of them breaking 40. The 90-99 Celicas went heavy, but kept a 4 cylinder for insurance reasons. You know that all Celicas and Camrys or Coronas in the past have been the same chassis and engines. The Camry just got the 6 cylinder and the Celica did not. Toyota did the turbo thing, but high prices kept it limited. Its nice to see the Celica become faster again, now that is built off the Corolla class. However, there are compromises. A new Celica is not going to ride like a 99. However, fuel economy is up and of course the same goes for power. The current Celica is now in its fourth year. What will Toyota do next? More torque? Keep it affordable?
    Automobile mag for June, they will keep it basic in the next iteration, which will be here in 18 months. They are going to go "180 degrees" from the current look, which "has not been popular". I am surprised they think that: when the current gen came out it was a huge hit. Just like anything sporty and geared to a younger crowd, it aged quickly and now sales have slowed. But that does not make the design a disaster by any means. They sold way more of this one than the last. (50K+ per year when it was new).

Will remain a 4-cyl, 2-door car.

I personally had an '83 GTS for a long time, and it was plenty fast enough - it was so light. The mileage remark was right on, though. It got about 27 most of the time.