Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Wagons

Comments

• taratara Posts: 30
    Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tara and I've just started working for Edmunds.com. I'll be your new host for Station Wagons:)
  • rptdcrptdc Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 A6 Avant ordered however just started noticing the 2001 Passat Wagons. Unfortunately neither are currently available for test drive at my dealership. Has anyone driven both. I need prompt opinions as there is a ~$10,000 price difference. I could likely yet change my mind.
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Posts: 121
    I looked at both for the '00 year - but most of these comments should hold true for the '01 models since there were no major changes.

A6 Avant:
    -Just a tad sluggish in the 0-30 starts
    -richer interior!!
    -seemed a little more quite at the various speeds (although I have too admit that both are very quite inside!)
    -just a little roomier in the back seat -- but again both have considerable leg room in the back compared to the competitors
    -few more safety items: available Xenons, rear seat side air bags, (the side air curtain are now avail with the Passat)
    -avail OEM nav system
    -better BTB warranty 4yr/50K
    -prob more likely to encounter good service

Passat:
    -despite its lower price tag, it still feels very solid and well built!
    -The 0-30, and 0-60 times seem a bit quicker
    -have multifunction steering wheel on the '01 and up models
    -just a bit more cargo room (with the rear seats up)

For us the $7-10K premium on the Audi was not worth it. But, I know others that wanted some of the other items only available on the A6 and/or the perks that went along with owning a luxury brand.

You should note that the '01.5 redesigned Passat gives it a more upscale appearance (chrome trim now in use) and probably narrows the luxo feel just a bit! Definitely woth checking out especially if you are not being pressed to buy soon!

George
  • judy58mdjudy58md Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 1997 a6 wagon, fully loaded with leather, roof, winter package, cd, 3rd seat, etc. The dealer is asking $24k and will extend the warranty to 12-01. Does this sound like a good deal? Thanks, Judy
  • symessymes Posts: 10
    I just returned from a drive through Switzerland and was surprised at how fast those A6 Avants were accelerating onto the motorways. The 2.8V6 is a neat engine but not like a Porsche or BMW M which these certainly were. Then I discovered that they run the A8 V8 in the A6 Avant over there. I wish we could get that one over here - anyone know anymore?
  • hbctplhbctpl Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 A6 Avast. It's the best car I've ever had. This includes a 93 Porsche 911 ,a 4matic M.Benz Wag. and 2 different 4.6 Range Rovers. I traded the Range Rover (1999) for the Audi in a heart beat. I don't think that I have ever driven a long distance more comfortably in my life(Delaware to North Carolina). I wanted to drive MORE!!!!
    The only negative is:skip the third seat. Its a joke.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Audi A6 Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Station Wagons.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• eagle21eagle21 Posts: 24
    Hi, I am currently looking at a 97' Audi A6 Wagon with the V6 engine. It has 30,000 miles on the car. The VIN number checks out clean and the dealer wants 19,500 for the car. It was originally priced at 20,500. So, any opinions on the car and price would be greatly appreciated.
  • bdellbdell Posts: 1
    Edmunds says the 2002 Audi A4 Avant wheelbase is 102.6 in.-the A4 sedan is 104.3-I now understand the A4 Avant SW will be here in March of 2002, and may be a 2003 model. I had heard the wheelbase of the A4 Avant was longer than the A4 sedan??? I know the A6 wheelbase is 108.6 in.--Some were saying why buy the A6 Avant when the A4 is so close overall to the A6???Does anyone one know the correct wheelbase for the 2002/3 A4 Avant?---The price is about 9K more for the A6 Avant. Wanted to get the 02/03 A4 Avant---
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Here's a direct link to Edmunds' First Drive of the 2002 Audi S6 Avant, by Christian Wardlaw.

What do you think? Thanks for your comments.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • I don't like the seat inserts (Alcantra??) and the price seems a bit high. Otherwise, what's not to like?!? I own a 99 540iaT and it is a great car. I have owned Audis before and loved them.
  • To anyone interested in purchasing a used Audi...In November, 2001, I purchased a 1998 Audi A6 Avant from Hoffman Auto Group in East Hartford, CT. Before purchasing the car, I purchased a car fax and learned that the dealership had the car for over a year, so I asked why and was told the service manager was driving it as a "perk." I asked if there were any problems with the car, was told no and I asked for the service records before I took possession of the car. Of course, they did not give me the records upon signing the contract, but assured me that there was nothing wrong and they would fax the records to me.Within the first 2 weeks, the car began stalling for no apparent reason until it just wouldn't start at all. I had it towed back to them and the general manager then admitted to me that the car had a history of stalling problems and was used as a loaner! I told them to keep the car and refund my money. Of course, they refused, can't find me another car as they promised. I can't put into words how deplorably I have been treated by the general manager, Steve Gilligan, and the owner just ignores me.I've had to hire an attorney to try to reverse things.They claim they have fixed the car, although they weren't able to for the year+ they had it.I have two small children and I refuse to put them in the car, fearing that we'll all be killed the next time it stalls.I hope anyone interested in purchasing a car, new or used, will not go to Hoffman Auto Group...Please tell all your friends to stay away from Hoffman Auto Group in East Hartford, CT.The Attorney General's office has also had many complaints about this dealership.
  • clefeberclefeber Posts: 1
    I am looking at an 1999 A6 Quattro wagon... 60K miles....all the bells and whistles but think pricey.....22K..dealer reputable, well known but I am still concerned having never owned a quatrro( current owner of a wonderful, loved 5000S, 1988, sedan)....anyone have some insight on a 1999 Audi A6Quattro wagon????
    I guess there are not too many Audi A6 wagon owners out there right now. Do you own an Audi A6 or are you in the market for one? Thanks for stopping by.

Revka
    Host
  • jscatenajscatena Posts: 61
    At 3:00 tomorrow, I pick up a Silver Audi S6. This is the 340hp beast Avant wagon with all the "S" trims. Can't wait!
    Go to www.kak.net
    I look forward to hearing all about it.... Also, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. ;-)

Revka

Host

• porknbeansporknbeans Posts: 464
    Like I said on another board, sweet ride. And they said only BMW made wagons that made you smile when you had to go pick up milk! :)

Keep us posted.
    Could hardly sleep last night. Wanted to sneak into the garage to look again. Very sweet 1st one hundred miles! Issues now; best way to fit a hands free cell phone and new V1 radar locator.
    Regarding the hands free cell phone, I would suggest that you stay away from the corporate install shops. I've seen my share of bad installs from the corporate stores. Just recently I saw a bad one on a friends Lexus and my boss' Suburban. The Audi's interior is too nice to leave to some installer who doesn't have their head in it. I'm sure there are plenty of reputable, custom install shops in Michigan that could do a high quality job. I certainly don't know of any, but I'm sure it wouldn't take more than a few questions to friends/co-workers or post a message here at Edmunds.

By the way, what color interior/exterior? Options? Sorry if I sound nosy, I'm actually just envious and jealous. Someday...
    The car is light silver metallic with ebony leather. The headliner in ebony Alcantra, almost suede like. Very rich. Not many options available in the S6 cuz it's loaded but I got the navigation system and the parktronic. Where do you live?
  • peeetepeeete Posts: 136
    I am looking at the purchase of a 2000 A6 Avant, with 15,000 miles. Is this generally considered to be reliable, I know Audis have their share of problems. Is there anything from that model year that I should look for problem wise? thanks
    "Is there anything from that model year that I should look for problem wise?"

You can use Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to check for TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) and Recalls on your 2000 A6 Avant. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • adamprattadampratt Posts: 6
    I've been wanting to buy a Volvo XC wagon for a while but then this offer came to me today from a friend who works in a bank's leasing department. I'm very interested in buying this car coming off a lease but want to get opinions and a price check from the experts here:

99 A6 Avant Quattro
    black exterior/gray leather
    24,000 miles and supposedly in great condition
    cold weather package
    convenience package
    third row seat
    Tires need replaced later this year
    few small nicks in hood and scratch on rear bumper

Price is $20,425

Thoughts?
    If it runs and looks clean.....BUY, BUY, BUY!!!

I would suggest 2 things though first:

1. Post your question in the "Real world trade in value" thread in the Smart Shopper section. Give all of the information listed above with your location and rroyce will answer your post with a very knowledgeable and timely answer.

2. Run a carfax on the car to find out about the provious owner and history on the car. I'm assuming it's a repo if you got the tip from a banking friend. If it's your friends car that's a different story, but it still may be money well spent to run a vehicle history on it.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Otherwise, give my number to your banker friend. :)
  • lextaxlextax Posts: 3
    I'd love feedback on this possible purchase. 1995 A6 Wagon with 72k miles for $10,000. Has CD changer, sunroof, Bose soundsystem, third row seat.

Thoughts?
  • mts6mts6 Posts: 1
    Re: message #187.
    The drives thru Europe that you mentioned were the reason I purchased my A6 Avant a year ago. I was extremely impressed with the performance and ride of a friends S6 Avant and couldn't get into one fast enough. The S6 Avant @ 340bhp and 0-60 in 5.7 seconds plus Quattro will definitely be worth the wait here in the US. I agree with your opinion on the lack of any really exciting power with the A6 Avant 2.8 engine they offer. Spoke with an Audi rep while in Germany last week and he said that Audi IS bringing the S6 Avant to the US this Fall (2001). This is also mentioned on the 'audiworld.com' & 's-cars.org' websites. (News archive Jan 2001 and Main page respectively. Both are great sites and have quite a bit of info.)
    Spoke with my local Audi sales manager in Texas though and he says that it is most likely going to be next fall (2002), as they have not heard anything or received any literature or training from AUDI US. So there you are...keep your fingers crossed and let's hope for next fall!
    PS For an S6 video clip check www.rs4.org under 'movies' for a Tiff Needell test drive done for Top Gear that is pretty amazing.
    Hope this helps,

Michael
  • Does anyone have experience using oversize tires on the stock wheels? I have a 99 Avant with 205/55/16 tires on it now and would like to increase to perhaps a 225/50/16, but don't know if the wheels can handle the width.
    Thanks.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    This size should work - I know that many A4 owners have done this without rubbing problems, and have raved about the better handling and good looks the wider appearance gives. This is on wheels that are 7 inches in width, which is is a good size for a 225 tire. But especially if ordering mail order or online that you do not drive on them until you're certain that there will be no fitment or rubbing problems, or you can have a local dealer test them for you. Some local tire stores, however, will not sell/mount any tire that is not the manufacturer's recommended (stock) tire size for your particular model - I ran into this last year when trying to have a local tire store mount winter tires & wheels on our A4.
This discussion has been closed.