Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• chrism123chrism123 Member Posts: 47
    I would like to ask the opinion of current Saab 9-5 wagon owners the good, bad & ugly of their vehicles. The lease on my 99 Grand Cherokee LTD will be ending in February and I'm looking to try something different. The local Saab dealer is offering, I believe, a very attractive lease.

2001 Saab 9-5 SE Wagon 3yrs 10k miles/yr
    $3k down (2k cap reduction, 1k sec, acq & 1st)
    payment = $329 month

This is for a new wagon (zero miles) not a dealer demo, CPO or loaner car. Is this a good deal or typical for this car.

How reliable have the 9-5's been (with the V6). Is it a good winter/snow car. I would appreciate any feedback about the car.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • bmwjoebmwjoe Member Posts: 136
    Chris,

I have a 2000 wagon with the 2.3lpt engine. I love it and it has been reliable. I believe there were some teething problems with the 1999 year.

Ours was not so good in the snow with the original tires. We have the Saab snow tire package and the car is very good now. I was very impressed with the difference the snow tires made.

I suggest you review all the messages in this section to learn about the issues and joys of 9-5 wagon ownership.

I get 20-30 mpg. That is something you never get in a Jeep.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • chrism123chrism123 Member Posts: 47
    Okay, I am now going to join the ranks and become a Saab owner. Just purchased a 2001 9-5 SE Wagon. The car has Black exterior and Gray interior. I will pick up the car next Saturday.

bmwjoe, just curious, do you have a BMW. The Saab is going to be my wife's car. I have on order a 2002 BMW 530ia.

Chris
    Chris,

Welcome to the ranks of 9-5 wagon owners. Black/Gray sounds very sweet. My wife loves her wagon. When I am good she lets me drive it.

I have 2 BMWs, one with two wheels and one with three. You can check them out at My Toys

Drive Safe,

Joe

• bdesaibdesai Member Posts: 24
    Hi everyone! I just bought a used '93 9000 CSE and now I am in love with SAABs. I thought japanese was the way to go and I would have never considered anything else. Well, I have been pleasantly surprised how well thought out and built this car is. My other car is a '98 Toyota Camry which my wife drives and is rather boring and dull. My Saab has 120K miles on it but runs beautifully. Hope it stays that way atleast for a while.
    I have a question for you Saab diehards. What is that animal on the SAAB symbol/sign? Is that a lion or a seahorse?? Sounds like a dumb question but I thought one of you would enlighten me. Thanx
    The animal on the front of the Saab is a Griffen. It is some sort of mythical creature. I don't know the background or history.

I do know, that if the front one does fall off Saab will replace it. Evidently, this happens on a rare basis.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • tennisvettetennisvette Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2001 9-5 SE wagon on 11-30-2001. On December 21, someone pulled in front of my wife as
    she was driving on a four lane road at 50 to 55 mph. The good news is that my wife was unhurt. The car's windshield was not even broken; the engine still runs, the front doors still open. However, the repairs and depreciation are going to run about $26,000 and the car is going to be totaled. Bad news, the highly touted On-Star system did not work as advertised since both airbags exploded. As impressed as we were by the Saab, we are going to replace it with a 2002 Volvo Cross Country which drives even better than the Saab. Both are great vehicles and very safe.
  • acraftonacrafton Member Posts: 99
    Glad your wife is fine.

Are you saying that the insurance company totalled the car and offered you $26K for it? If not, what do you mean by "repairs and depreciation are going to run about $26,000"?

Adam
  • tennisvettetennisvette Member Posts: 2
    In this state if a repair is 70 to 75 % of the value, it is "totaled". I have not received settlement from insurance company; should be 35-36m.
  • jracinejracine Member Posts: 28
    Hi,

My 3-year lease is about to end and I am planning to simply go with the 9-5 Aero Wagon.

Although I have yet to test drive it, I drove a 94 Aero years ago and was very impressed (I had at the time a '92 9000 SPG).

Did any of you get the chance yet to upgrade from a 99-00 model to a '02?
  • clemmclemm Member Posts: 4
    I am about to purchase a '99 9-5 wagon, auto, 2.3 with 24.5 k miles for $22,900. Questions:

1. Does this seem like a good price? It does to me--I've been looking for a used 9-5 wagon for a while, not only are they hard to find, but rarely are they available with low mileage at this price.

2. Reliability? My wife drives a 2000 9-3 and it's been trouble free other.

My wife had a bad wreck in the 9-3, both bags deployed and she was unscathed--now we are Saab loyalists for life. Thanks for the input.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Have you checked with Edmunds' Used Vehicle Appraiser to see what the average cost is in your region? Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    Your appraiser's price seems very low for what I've been able to actually find in my region or anywhere else for that matter.
  • rworrellrworrell Member Posts: 149
    I have a 2000 9-5 Aero wagon, 5-speed, and it's one of the greatest cars I've ever owned. Fun to drive, completely smooth (for lack of a better word--you'll see what I mean when you drive one), luxurious, comfortable, practical, sporty. It's also been 100% reliable for me--no problems, not even those weird squeaks and rattles that my previous Saabs eventually acquired (give it time, though, I'd guess...). I would recommend a 9-5 wagon almost unequivocally. The only thing I don't like is that it is clearly a FWD car and the torque steer gets to me sometimes. Not bad for an only complaint!
  • mstsscmstssc Member Posts: 89
    I think the price is a little high. Should be able to get a 99 base for under $20k US I would think. However, I am in Canada and prices might be a bit different. I certainly understand that finding a good used one may be difficult inyour area. They are quite rare here.

The 99's did have some problems with the ECU. Take a quick look at saabnet.com for other reliability issues to be concerned with.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    That price DOES seem high. Have you tried asking in the Smart Shopper's conference, in the "Real World Trade-In Values" section? There are two really honest and professional dealers there who can give you a really good idea on what to expect for a fair retail price.
    Okay, thanks for the input.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    You know, Saab has definitely come a long way since they had their troubles. The 9-5s I looked at recently looked way better-built than the Saabs of the 80s and early 90s. And they're of much higher quality than GM's other premium brands (Buick and Cadillac).
  • saabmandan45saabmandan45 Member Posts: 1
    Hi my name is Dan George and I own as well as sell Saabs. I will be glad to try to answer any Saab questions if you want to. Email me or call me. I'm located in Louisville Ky. saabmandan45@aol.com or 1-800-759-7144
  • hilltop33hilltop33 Member Posts: 15
    Just tried to send you an e-mail and it's not working.

L
  • murphd02murphd02 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2002 9-5 Linear Wagon and I'm interested in buying a few accessories for it. Can anyone direct me to any sites that offer discount pricing and quality materials? Thanks
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    go to www.saabcenter.com - 20% off all saab parts and accessories - these are factory authorized parts and accessories. saabcenter is actually BRI Imports in Oklahoma City - they are a Saab New Car Dealer. I've ordered from them before - they are fast and efficient.

for performance parts go to www.abbottracing.com, or www.sasab.com, or www.nordictuning (i think).com these sites offer upgraded ECU chips, suspension, and other components.

FYI - if you're really into saabs - go to www.saabnet.com - this is the most active site on the net for saab enthusiasts. they have a great forum - mind you the forums are geared for people to solve problems with their cars so don't be surprised if you see lots of posts re. problems - not indicative of the build quality/relaibilty/durability of saabs...

good luck
  • tlmmhowelltlmmhowell Member Posts: 48
    I presently own a 99 540iat and have always wanted a Saab wagon. I am afraid I will be disappointed if I trade. If I do make the change, which model should I consider? How about reliability?
    I would consider the 9-5 Aero - that version would approach the performance of the 540i. Aero has 250 HP, 258 FTLB of torque @ 1900 rpm so the power band makes it fast in everyday driving, 17" rims, high performance suspension and brakes, etc... - all this and 30+ mpg on the highway.

The 540 will give you better performance - acceleration and handling feel, but realistically for everyday driving and such, the Aero is just as good. If you push the both cars to the limit, the BMW will outperform. My neighbor has a 540 sedan - he drives it 10 miles round trip to work in city driving never exceeding 40mph - seems like a waste of power and performance. I've had my base 95 wagon at 100mph+ - felt solid and under control. I'm sure the aero will feel just as good or better at 120mph. But at the end of the day, just how hard and fast will you drive and how often?

Versatility and utility is another factor, the 540 wagon is SMALL compared to the Saab - especially cargo area. Finally, the FWD/RWD thing. Up here in CT, my neighbors 540 is snow is horrendous. Despite the fact that it has TCS - in 6-8" of snow - or if you need to go up an incline or hill - forget it - FWD is better.

Cost is the final factor - new 540 wagon - $50K+, new Aero - $39K. You can take some of that difference to alter the engine chip and software to boost HP to close to 300 if you want.

Saabs are as reliable as all of the other european cars. Since you own a BMW you won't be surprised by service costs,etc - but Saab pays for first 3 years of service.

Basically I don't think there are other performance wagons out there - not sure if they still make the Audi S6, the Volvos handle and perform like dogs (but they are versatile wagons though).

At the end of the day you need to decide what factors are most important to you. Saabs are great cars, fun to drive, practical, and different.

Good luck.
  • jiber1jiber1 Member Posts: 1
    Just stopped by the dealer to look at a 9-5 sport wagon, they have one 2001 9-5, 4cyl, leather loaded, with 4K, never titled, used by owner, sticker is $40K+ left on the lot. It has TSC but not ESP, Air conditioned seats & remainder of full warranty. I went for a test drive, and was pleasantly surprised by the handling, cabin noise was more than expected, especially with the fans running. I was waiting on the new A4's and even considered an MDX, I drove the V70 and left unimpressed. The Saab, seems very worthy of consideration, especially the demo which is left. I am not familiar with Saab pricing or discoutns, so any suggestions on pricing and discounts for Saabs would be appreciated. Thanks....
  • mstsscmstssc Member Posts: 89
    I think $40k is way over priced. I was just looking at a 2001 Aero wagon, new, zero miles for $51k cdn (about $32k US). You should be able to do much better. A new 2002 Aero should be less than $40k.

BTW,I have a 2001 sedan, great car to drive.
  • kibkirbkibkirb Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new wagon and just took the new 9-5 Linear Wagon for a test drive. Much preferred it to the Volvo V70 2.4t, plus we've had a 9-3 for 3+ years and love it -- fun to drive, no maintenance problems. My question is about the TMVs for the 9-5 wagons -- they're about $2k below the invoice for all models. Does this make sense to others? From what I've seen at the dealers in my area, they seem to be selling pretty well.
  • mvcjonesmvcjones Member Posts: 14
    I live in Los Angeles and have the following offer on the table.

2002 9-5 Arc with silver metallic paint, List at $41,000
    36 month lease
    12k/year
    Turn in my leased 1999 9-3 SE which is a $3,000 loss based on buy out vs. market value
    Dealer will take care of my remaining 9-3 SE payments, amounting to about $3,250
    $1,495 down
    $498/month taxes included.

Any advice on whether this is a good deal?

Thanks in advance

MVC Jones
    To mvcjones- In addition to the feedback here, you should also post (copy/paste) your question in this FWI Leasing discussion. Our host (Car man) should be able to offer you some feedback on your deal. Also, weekends are a little slow around here, so you may need to give it a day, or so, more feedback. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your lease.

To kibkirb- To respond to your Post #630 "TMVs for the 9-5 wagons -- they're about $2k below the invoice for all models. Does this make sense to others?

Edmunds' TMV is most likely taking into consideration the current $2500 Incentive that Saab is currently offering to their dealers. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • boxerloverboxerlover Member Posts: 5
    I have going back and forth between the 9-5 turbo wagon (linear) and the aero version. I'd appreciate some help in this decision from experienced Saab individuals. Also, what about pricing: linear $430/month (including tax) w/$2800 down (15k a year, w/premium package and metallic paint) sales price is $31,800. Aero w/touring (black), $540 month (including tax) pricing is $37,200.
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    Depending on the model, Saab is running some pretty significant discount programs right now, up to $4,500 off on the Linears, so the TMV's are probably pretty accurate.
  • murphd02murphd02 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased a 2002 9-5 2.3l auto recently. Love the car (when I'm allowed to drive it!). I am looking into putting a tow hitch on it to pull a utility trailer. I'll probably use it 4-6 times per year. Anyone have any insights on whether towing is a good idea with this vehicle? Any other comments would be welcomed. Thanks
    I hear that SAAB makes a tow hitch for the 9-5. It is an all day affair to install, but very nice when done. They reccomend the dealer does the install. I think the capacity is 2000 lbs.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • marionwmarionw Member Posts: 1
    after three volvo wagons over 25 years, do i ever love driving my manual transmission, road hugging, comfortable car with seat heaters that work. the gadgets are fun, the door locks are lovely, the cargo space large but it's the way it handles that's so great- it's light and nimble even though it stays solidly on the road. (tho it is true that the rear visibility needs improvement.)
  • rivettsrivetts Member Posts: 5
    A friend of mine and I just bought left over 2001 9-5 wagons. My friend has owned SAABs since the 70s and I owned 1 other SAAB and that was a 1975 Sonnet.

Her car is Silver and mine is black. At the moment I am a little disappointed with the fact that when they buffed out my car they covered it with scratches. They said I can bring the car back in and they would buff out the scratches.

I originally felt that the car was over priced, but with the leftover discounts the car seems like a bargain. I was considering a VW Passat.

I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the company that makes the engine and transmission? The engine is made in the UK and the transmission in Japan.
  • jorgbirdjorgbird Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody driven the new Linear or Aero in snow? I am wondering how the electronic stability and traction control programs work under those conditions. How useful is the winter mode of the automatic transmission? Any and all reports are appreciated!
    I have a 2000 9-5 base wagon. I figured a big heavy front wheel drive car would be good in the snow. This would be similar to my experince with a Tarus. The traction control would be a bonus. No such luck.

The 9-5 was mediocre in the snow. The wide, performance oriented tires are to blame. I put on a set of the factory snows and it does much better in the snow. The snow flake wheels were a bonus. Worth the money.

SAAB 9-5 with factory snows

Drive Safe,

Joe

Also, nice picture of your 9-5 wagon. If you have a chance, feel free to also share (copy/paste) your pic in our Saab Photo Gallery and Station Wagons Pics discussions. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    has anyone had a failure of the cooling fan ?
    while going through d.c. a few days ago my cooling fans went out in heavy traffic and the engine overheated.
    went to a dealer and they found a blown fuse....
    but,there has to be a reason for the fuse to blow.

anyone has any background ?
  • bmmillerbmmiller Member Posts: 9
    I just looked at a 2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon SE and got a price of $33K on it and was wondering how good that actually was. I think that it was the demo car but am not sure of the mileage on it (I think it had like 200 miles on it.) Also would it be better to just go with the 4 cylinder model because it would be cheaper? How does the 4 cylinder respond to the throttle when fully loaded (with 4-5 passengers)? Thanks
    engine in the UK??? you must have the 95SE, as the 4 cylinder is built in sweden.

the transmission is sourced from Aisin-Warner (sp?). same firm that makes the Lexus automatics.
    if it's a 2001, that's too much as the 2002's are already on the lot with some incentives. i'd go for the base 95 or aero. I don't like the v6, the 4 banger has been around for a long time and is VERY durable...you'll get 200K miles on the 4 banger easily....

I have the 2.3LPT 4 cylinder and it responds well. If you put it in sport mode, it responds very well. Saab turbos are the best in the industry, they've been doing turbos since 1977, they also have virtually eliminated turbo lag, plus the TORQUE curve on their turbos are great for every day driving (that is, maximum torque is achieved at low rpm, as opposed to most other cars where maximum torque is achieved near redline)
  • baileysaabbaileysaab Member Posts: 1
    rickpct, you are not correct. The Saab turbo 4-cylinder was designed by Saab in Sweden, but it IS manufactured in the UK.
  • gregk27gregk27 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings all!

We are looking to replace my wife's 93 Accord and are considering adding a second wagon to our stable (I drive a 96 Passat TDI wagon). Our local Saab dealership has a 2001 SE wagon on the lot that they recently got in. The specs:

Mileage: 37,500
    Color: Silver exterior/graphite leather w/ heated seats
    Asking price: $26,700

The salesperson I've been talking to has told me the car has gone through and passed the Saab Certified inspection, qualifying it for the 100K mile warranty. They replaced the battery, put new Continental Contact tires on, fixed a bad contact on the sunroof and replaced both cupholders. From what I can tell, everything else looks like new (finish, leather, etc.).

1. At least to me, this seems like a really good deal, especially since it is now a Saab Certified car. What things/questions should I be looking for/asking? This dealer did not sell it originally but I feel that the salesperson could find out the reason why the previous owner traded it.

2. Any opinions about the durability/longevity of the V6? I have heard that this engine was actually designed by GM. Is this correct?

3. What kind of mileage do those of you with the V6/auto combination get on the highway? My wife and I both drive 450 miles/week to work.

Any other info/help would be most welcome.

Thanks!

greg
  • tiggerusstiggeruss Member Posts: 2
    Have an 8 day old, '02, 9-5 Arc Wagon w/Touring package. also have 5 mo. old Volvo S60-AWD sedan. Love the Saab. BUT, with the driver's side window cracked just a few centimeters, in a light rain, light wind, water gushes in, cascades down the inside driver's door & pools in the lower door storage compartment. Dealer says: "learn to drive w/windows up"! Anyone else got this same problem? Is this defect unique to my new 9-5, or endemic w/Saabs of all models/years? I appreciate your help! Thanks!
  • jonw2jonw2 Member Posts: 49
    This is to comment on an earlier message (#644) that stated that the Saab 4-cylinder engine is made in the UK. The writer may be thinking of the GM&Saab-designed, 6-cylinder engine, which is built in the UK. However,I believe that the R&D and manufacturing of the 4-cylinder engine is at the Saab plant in Sodertalje, Sweden. Indeed, the original 4-cylinder, a Triumph engine, was designed and built in UK, but has undergone several design evolutions by Saab in its own plant since then. I believe that all 4-cylinders prior to the 1973 model were built by Triumph. While the R&D center and main assembly plant is at Trollhattan, Svergige, Sweden, the gearbox plant is in Gothenburg, Sweden. My sources are Road&Tracks On SAAB book and a web site: Manufacturer-Swedish Car Makers. I can attest that it's a wonderful engine. My '87 has 182K miles and the engine has never been worked on, except for routine tuneups. Given the choice, I would still buy the 4-cylinder engine.
    Regards,
    Jon W.
  • darandalldarandall Member Posts: 57
    The prices for used Saabs are ridiculous - you can lease a new Linear for 3 yrs with total lease payments of $14000. Approximately $2000 down, residual of approximately $16000. If you buy at the end of the lease term, you've paid $32000 with the first three years virtually interest free. BTW, the 2.4LPT engine is solid - I drove 4 kids with all their stuff from camp in mountainous terrain, and it still hauled..
    my original post indicated that 2.3 is made in Sweden, someone else claimed it was designed in Sweden but made in UK - that is the V6 made by Vauxhall according to the resident experts on Saabnet.com. The V6 for the 9000 and 900 was made in GDR by Opel.

As in my original post, I agree with you and would opt for the 4, it's a proven engine.
  • gregk27gregk27 Member Posts: 4
    In reply to #647:

Darandall,

The lease numbers you describer are indeed intriguing, however at least in my situation leasing is out of the question (26K mi/year)...

my $0.02

Greg