Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• tiggerusstiggeruss Member Posts: 2
    re: #650: mon. racine: thank you! will try the weatherflectors. did you have this problem on your old wagon? I really love the handling, turning radius, power, ergonomics of my '02 ARC. Thank you so much for your help! And good luck with your new sedan!
  • jracinejracine Member Posts: 28
    I think I will add them to my new Aero. If I do so, I will keep you posted and post pictures.

Please do the same. Good luck.
  • wagonbyrwagonbyr Member Posts: 26
    We have put about 56,000 miles on our 2000 Saab 9-5 Wagon. During a recent service, the mechanic informed us that the head gasket is leaking. I asked how much it would cost, but they really couldn't say for sure because they've never seen one go on a 9-5. (This was at a large Saab dealer in Conneticut) I was a bit bummed since I knew I was about 6,000 miles out of warantee. I called Saab Customer service and they agreed to pick up the entire tab along with providing my wife a loner car. Is this a great company or what?
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    I had the ABS valve body go bad on my old 900 Turbo. Of course I was out of warranty, but they picked it up too! BTW, I had the head gasket blow on that car as well, under warranty fortunately ...
  • darandalldarandall Member Posts: 57
    The lease deal works for buyers - you simply pick up the purchase option at the end at the end of the lease so you don't pay the excess mileage charge. Lease payments total $13280 with a residual purchase price of $15894 = $29174, plus a down payment of $3237 which includes 1st month payment, security deposit and acquisition fee, so I add $2000 to the total so purchase works out to $31,174, with no interest payments during the first three years. Saab also makes the last three payments on my current lease, $1260, and gives me $500. Cost of new purchase is less than $29,500, and, again, no interest the first three years. I'm going in this week!
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    which dealer in CT did you go to? i also live in CT. Also, from what i understand one of the saab engines is known to have a leaking headgasket problem - i think it's the 2.0 litres on the 9-3, not the 2.3's on the 95.
  • wagonbyrwagonbyr Member Posts: 26
    We went to Secor Saab in New London, CT. The service manager was great and he was the one who suggested we call Saab for relief. Unfortunately, the 2nd day after we got the car back the engine started sputtering & stalling. Of course this happened when my wife was alone in the car 40 miles from home. She limped back to the dealer and traded for another free loaner car. Hopefully it's just a loose vacuum hose or something. I'll keep you posted. I agree though, our experience is unusual for a new 9-5.
  • automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    I am looking to get a pre-owned Saab 9-5 Wagon. I found one at my local dealer that is a Silver 2.3L 4Cylinder with 30k miles. He is asking $22k and if I am seriously interested will go below $20k. Is this a decent deal? The car has been in no accidents, been dealer serviced etc etc.

What do you think?

AS
  • rwbxrwbx Member Posts: 3
    I brought my Saaab 9-5 wagon in to the dealer for the factory maintenance at 20,300 miles. When I picked the car up, they charged me 172 for front brake pads. I had an Audi wagion for 36,000 miles- no need for brake change- and an Acura which had brakes unitl 45,000. I'm not a stop and start fast driver at all. I really think this is highly unusual. Any similar experiences or comments?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    To automan227- Have you tried using Edmunds' Used Vehicle Appraiser? This will give you the average cost that people are paying for a pre-owned Saab 9-5 wagon in your region. Good luck and please keep us posted on your purchase.

To rwbx- Sorry to hear about your experience. Did you ask your dealer how much your pads were worn? Some dealers recommend replacing them much sooner than others. For future reference, you may want to find out what their criteria is for pad replacement, or even get a second opinion before giving them the green light. My 2 cents.

Btw, here's a direct link to Edmunds' Maintenance Guide where you check to see if there are any related Technical Service Bulletins. You'll also find manufacturer recommended service schedules there. Good luck and please keep us posted on your Saab 9-5 wagon experience.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    There's really not enough information to answer wether or not your pads held up long enough.

I realize your comparing the life with other experiences but... did you drive those cars more on the Highway... and the Saab more in local traffic? Have your driving patterns changed at all? Is there someone else driving the Saab who didn't drive the Audi or the reverse? There would have to be much more information I would think but.. 20+K is not extreme by any means and the cost was not out of line either.

I drive a new Montero for Work and mostly Highway. The dealer was amazed that I went 54K before needing new pads. He claimed most owners of these are on their 3rd set by that time. Driving patterns are the key factor.

In your situation, I wouldn't say you got "Ripped Off" even if all things are equal and it turned out that Saab pads don't last as long as Audi. Most parts on the Saab do in fact last longer than Audi parts. Brakes are one of the cheaper components to compare. Don't take that wrong either, I love Audi's too. I've had two Audi's and three Saabs.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • grandbabe28grandbabe28 Member Posts: 4
    I know this may be a silly or repetitive question but I'll ask it anyway...which wagon is the better buy- Saab, Benz or Audi. I'm not including the Beemer b/c the cargo space is soo small I will not consider it in my search. I am leaning towards the 9-5 Arc Wagon but want to get objective advice. The Yahoo message boards are slim pickings on this topic so any feedback is welcome. And, why do Saabs have a low resale value?
  • bmwjoebmwjoe Member Posts: 136
    I believe the Saab is the biggest. we have had ours for 2 years and the whole family loves it. My only regret is that I don't get to drive it more.

Drive Safe,

Joe
    Which Audi are you comparing? If it's the A4, you'll find it's space as lacking as the BMW. These are all nice choices though. Also, as nice as the C-Class is I think that one will be smaller as well and if Front Wheel Drive is important to you the Mercedes will be out of the running.

For the money, it's hard to beat the Saab. The resale predictions may be reported lower but remember those are based on Sticker price. You'll do MUCH better than Sticker on the Saab.

Our 2002 Wagon is our second 9-5. We had the first year 9-5, tested out several competitors for it's replacement but just couldn't pass on the Saab. No regrets here, we love ours.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    I had a '01 9-5 Wagon (SE V6). That model has been updated in '02 and renamed the ARC. However, it is basically the same car (with ESP and 5 spd. auto). The car was great. I use past tense because I was broadsided by a cadillac doing about 60 MPH, and walked away from the accident.
    is now available in Edmunds' New Vehicle Pricing Guide. Look for a direct link to this guide in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. Happy motoring!

Revka

Host

• tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Is this a good deal on Aero (manual, no package) wagon lease (36 months, 15K miles/year):

1. down: $4K, $418/mo net, $439.01 w/taxes
    or
    2. down: $5K, $390/mo net, $418.00 w/taxes

That's in Boston, MA.

Thanks,
    Tomek
  • bartosicbartosic Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a '01 9-5 Aero in December 2000. The car is not even two years old, but has already had the following replaced -- DCI, Water Pump, info display, catalytic converter and several other parts. Most recently the car makes a "clunk" on start up. Has anyone else had trouble with the 00 Aero Wagon, or do I just have a lemon on my hands?
    Check out Edmunds' Road Test Follow Up: 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon. And let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka

Host

• grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    Good review on the wagon, but why does Edmunds hate the sedan so much? --The Chrysler 300 is better...come on
  • jonathan42jonathan42 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2002 9-5 Aero Sportswagon at the end of February, 2002. Fortunately for me, my area did not receive any further significant snowfalls that winter. Now, entering this winter driving season, the car has 6,000 miles on the original tires and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the need of snow tires for this car. Are they suggested, despite being a front wheel drive car? Being 17" wheels, the major tire stores (Tire Rack and Tires.Com) offer conflicting advice as to size. One says 16" wheels are fine, the other says that 17" are required due to the need for brake clearance.

I'm at a loss on this important issue since my area, the Pocono Mountains region of Pennsylvania, sees its fair share of snow each year.

Btw....I love this car. No problems to speak of at all so far.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't have an answer to your question but I do have a suggestion.

Check with your Saab dealer about any Specials Deals on a winter tire package. I don't have an Aero so it's not a big issue for me but our dealer does offer a program that is very competitive with extra service. They provide Snow tires on a Steel rim and they store whatever set your not using for you at no extra charge.

It's certainly worth a phone call. Also, I'm sure you already know but if you are doing this yourself, don't forget to use a Torque Wrench when mounting your wheels. Some people don't realize the damage that not setting equal and proper torque specs can do.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    Saab and Ronal (OEM wheel maker) both offer snow tire packages that include alloy wheels. Both are competitive in price, and both recommend using 15" or 16" wheels as winter substitutes for the 17" Aero wheels, due to potholes and other winter road hazards.

Go to Saabnet.com, search 'snow tire' or 'ronal' and you'll see tons of posts on these subjects.
  • salesrep2salesrep2 Member Posts: 2
    I have an opportunity to buy a '99 9-5 wagon. The car has 58000 miles, but a new (7,500 miles) engine was just put in it that (supposedly) came from a wrecked Vail, CO police car. The work was done by a Saab dealer, but for a broker, so they won't certify it. I'm not so worried about the engine & warranty as the fact that the battery was replaced in 2000 & 2001. Consumer Report rates the electrical system poor in the '99 9-5. Do you think this car could be a lemon?
    Anyone have any ideas or advice? I'm a female road rep and can't take any chances of being stranded somewhere with a dead battery.
    You mentioned VAil Co. are you by any chance closer to the Denver area? If so, I can give you a good recommendation on an independent Saab guy to give you a good inspection. I wouldn't even be surprised if he knows the car your looking at.

Drew
  • salesrep2salesrep2 Member Posts: 2
    No, actually I'm in the Atlanta, GA area. The car is for sale through the broker from whom I bought my current 9-3 Hatchback. I happened to be at the dealer service shop when the mechanic was finishing the engine work. The service manager gave me the printout of work done on the car. The story I was told was that the engine was shot from owner abuse, i.e. not changing oil, etc. My feeling is that the car could be a tremendous bargain (so few miles on the replacement engine) or be a nightmare. I love my 9-3, but hate not having a power seat and I desperately need more cargo room for work samples. I do have an independent Saab mechanic I can take it. I guess that's the next step. Any thoughts?
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    Just brought home my new 2002 9-5 Arc wagon. Have any other saab owners had to get used to the funky headrests? My last car offered no real neck support at all, and the saab felt fine on the 2 test drives I took, but now that I have it, I'm getting a little ache in my neck and upper back. I'm telling myself I just need to get used to having good head/neck support. Am I right (please, please, please)? Thanks.
    I posted a response to your question at Sedans 9-5.

Good Luck
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    I know the 9-5 has a "sport" suspension, but I feel an awful lot of road vibration, to the point of discomfort, coming up through the steering column on my new Arc (v6) wagon. Can that be tweaked at the dealer or is this just the way Saabs drive?
  • darandalldarandall Member Posts: 57
    You should have road feel through the steering wheel, but not road discomfort. My new Linear is firm but there isn't any vibration or any other unwelcome feelings. Have the dealer check it.
    The vibration your describing doesn't sound right. A suspension or balance adjustment may be in order.

If you think there is a problem, tell your dealer that you would like to compare yours with another similar model on the lot. If there is a problem with yours, you will feel a difference between the two cars.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • johnsaydjohnsayd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 9-3 5-door that is halfway through a 4-year lease and want to upgrade to a 9-5 wagon. Has anyone done this and gotten a decent deal?
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    What are some of the best negotiated prices on wagons lately? Anybody have any stories? Also, isn't something that the 2.3 4cyl has quite a bit more HP than the 3.0 6cyl! I guess the 6 isn't turbocharged. Also, It seems more people are leasing as opposed to buying. I also heard that they will negotiate the lease end buyout figure because they really don't want the car back. Any thoughts? Lease then buy might be a strategy if you get a good one.
  • vascdudevascdude Member Posts: 11
    I can only relay pricing on the Linear wagon. They appaerntly have tons of dealer cash. You might be able to get a Linear with prem pkg (almost 40k sticker) for under 34k.

FyI: Just in case you're comparing: Volvo xc 2003 can be bought for under 32K during a special discount on the already cheap overseas program.

I just went through this entire process and found great prices on both.
    The 6 does have more hp and it is Turbo charged as well. Both have the LPT... Light Pressure Turbo's. The Aero version has a High Pressure Turbo and the highest hp for an Aero.

You probably read the hp number for the Aero which is a 4 cylinder as well.

Drew
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    Hi,
    I've always liked the Saab's looks and individuality, and was considering getting a wagon. A used one though. The new Saab prices here are way out of line (I live in Toronto). At least I think they are, close to and higher than some bimmers.
    I had also had reliability reservations. A firend is a Saab mechaninc and said that one of thier design flaws is the coil for each plug. It is efficient in it's job, but they all break down and are very expensive to fix. Has anyone had this problem? Are these cars the maintenance headaches I always hear about, in spite of Cr and others saying it's the best they've ever built? That's fine, but if their best is still behind the others it's not much of a leap. My wife says the Saab is the only car she's ever looked at and liked. So I'm trying to decide if the appeal of the car is just overshadowing the reality of what a bad experience actually owning one could be.
    cdndriver
    I had the first year 9-5 with no problems to speak of aside from the rear brake rotors wearing with an outer groove. That caused the need for a rotor replacement that shouldn't have been needed.

I did not have any other problems and replaced it this year with a new wagon.

Drew
  • mstsscmstssc Member Posts: 89
    A few comments - the remaining 2002 Linears are getting good discounts here in Calgary. I have seen 5 sedans offered in Saturdays paper for $37k ($23k US) and 1 wagon for $40k ($25k US). All new with I think 2.8% lease. This is a steal IMHO! If I didn't already have one I would now. I don't think you will find a similarily equipped BMW that can touch this. Even the base model 9.5s are very well equipped and capable cars.

Given these prices and lease/finance incentives I don't think I would go used. Also, many of us lease our Saabs due to their generally high depreciation.

My 2001 now is 18 months old and has 27k km with only minor problems. It is as tight now as it was new. The cars are unique and certainly not perfect but I enjoy driving this car every day and it is the first time in awhile where I am not looking forward to leasing something else (and I have owned two BMWs in the past).
  • cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    I currently own a 2000 9-5 Sedan and my lease expires in 4 months. Needless to say, I'm in serious research mode. I would like to get a wagon this time around and the choices available right now are mind boggling. It's like being a kid in a toy store. My top contendors are the 9-5 Aero, the BMW 525IT and the Volvo V70 (T5 or XC).
    I could probably add at least another 3 to this list but I need to cut myself off or I wont be able to make a decision...
    The Saab salesman that I have dealt with in the past is already calling me to tell me what a great deal he will give me and I'm tempted to go with the Saab.. I have had a few battery related problems over the last 3 years but nothing serious. Other than that,the car has been solid and fun to drive.. Does anyone have any feed back on the Aero ? I have read all the pro reviews but I'm looking for some real life feedback..
  • rworrellrworrell Member Posts: 149
    I have a 2000 9-5 Aero wagon, 5-speed, and my lease expires in 5 months so I'm right with you on timing. The only problem I've had with my 9-5 has been the battery failing (sounds like yours). Funny--this is the third Saab I've owned and two of them had to have batteries replaced (both under warranty).

I really like the car. The BMW is nice but seems underpowered to me (although I have to say I'm pretty sick of the torque steer with a FWD performance car). I haven't driven the Volvos.

As far as real life feedback goes, I've said numerous times that the Aero wagon would be the perfect car except for two things:

1) Torque steer

2) Suspension is too soft with too much body roll for my tastes (and just think--it's the Saab sport suspension--I can't imagine what the regular suspension feels like).

Hope this helps!
    I don't have the Aero version but I'm surprised to hear your comment about a soft suspension.

I will say this: We owned the First year 9-5 and just traded for the '02 this year. The newest version (2002) is completely different in ride and handling. I noticed the upgrade and improvement in handling immmediately. Body roll should not be an issue with the new models. It's not with our new wagon anyway.

Drew
    ps. Our first 9-5 needed a battery replacement early too. Anyone know what the issue is here?
  • cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    I'm on battery #3 with my 2000 9-5 and the car is not even 3 years old. The dealership keeps replacing them under warranty but that doesn't help when I'm stuck in a parking lot somewhere. Anyhow,as mentioned in my earlier post,this is the only problem I've had in the last 2.5 years. I think the prudent thing to do is to have them check the battery everytime you take it in for service.
    I think it's a Sweedish thing.. My Brother-in-law owns a 99 Volvo s70 and he also has had to replace several batteries.
    I'm not sure if battery technology is getting worse or if the newer cars just use more power but my 89 Mazda 626 was 6 years old before I had to replace the original battery.
    Well a batter every year is kinda hard to take. Our first 9-5 only had one replacement after 2 years. It did leave me stranded. I replaced the car after more than 3 years without another problem.

Drew
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    Has anybody gone this route? Can you combine dealer cash with it? Special financing? On a Chevy the supplier discount can be pretty deep and worthwhile. How about GM card points? Can they be put toward Saab purchase?
  • fortyninervtfortyninervt Member Posts: 1
    I originally purchased a used 9-5 Sedan as I fell in love with the seat and the way it handled. It had 32,000 miles on it and ran fine. About 5,000 miles later it developed a hesitaion or skip over 50mph. It got steadily worse and I threatened the dealer with a lemon law claim as I'd had it in 4 times for repair. His solution was to give me a great deal on a 2001 9-5 Wagon that they had used as a loaner. Around 25,000 miles the same problem started along with large amounts of blue smoke on the initial morning start-up. They replace the vacuum pump and hose for the smoke and to date cannot figure out where the hesitation is coming from. It goes in Monday for the 3rd and final service at which point I will file a lemon law claim. Any ideas what causes this skipping? I'd really like to keep the car, but the reliability issues worry me as I am a high mileage driver.
    Hi,
    Thanks for your many ideas. I love the look of the wagons. They just look so sleek compared to all the others, but I talked to my banker and a new one, even with discounts is out of the question. So I'm looking at used passat 4 motions, or a new Legacy. I even looked up leasebusters, which have an awful lot of people trying to get out of Saab leases, but they are all in the 700-800/month range. It seems with the way they depreciate like a rock, you'd be upside down quickly. I don't know if a 2000 wagon would be a good place to pour money. I haven't driven one yet, because all the books I'm reading about buying a car say, "don't fall in love until you get it home" It looks like I'm leaning towards the Subie because of reliability. My heart wants the Passat or Saab, but the practical side says Subie. I expect to keep the car for awhile (that's why I'm not excited about leasing.) My last car, a 77 320i just went to it's grave 3 weeks ago. It held out well for 25 years! I don't expect that, but I need something reliable, stylish and fun to drive for a good 5-7 years. there, that's my dilema. I'm trying to narrow the choices.
    any ideas?
    thanks in advance,
    cdndriver
    Hi again,
    I can't find anywhere in Canada where I can get the invoice prices on cars without having to pay at least $20.00 for them. Edmunds, here, doesn't give anything for Cdns., it won't take our postal codes. If I go for a new car, I'd like to know. Anyone know where I can get the information? Websites?
    Thanks,
    cdndriver
  • botaniquebotanique Member Posts: 1
    I don't know how pricing for new Saabs is in Canada (my home country) or the US right now, but in Belgium I was just given the full diplomatic discount on the 9,5 Vector Estate I ordered for my wife. As an expat I am eligible for a discount, but not the more than 25% off list I got. That not only took care of the VAT(21% here) but covered the expensive road tax which is based on engine output. Pricing in Belgium (in Euro) seems to be in line with the US, although the model line up is a little different. I already drive a 2002 9,3 Aero Cabriolet (Viggen body), so I'm happy to have another Saab in the garage.
    Not sure why your having these problems. I have heard similar stories from people in high altitudes who are not using Premium Gas. Apparantly it's a Turbo related situation but honestly.. I don't know. Our first 9-5 never experienced the problem.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • rwbxrwbx Member Posts: 3
    Today in New York, I had my first real expereince driving my 2000 Saab wagon in snow, perhaps 6 inches with slippery conditions. It was a great and possibly dangerous disappointment. I have had an Audi so I have something to compare it to. The front end shimmied back and forthon accleration, I had trouble getting traction on slight inclines and I nearly lost control on a right hand turn as the front drifted left. Any comments or light on this problem would be appreciated.