Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• dskidski Member Posts: 414
    We've had Saabs since '94 (two 9-5 and a 900) and all have been Great snow cars. I've also had an Audi Quattro. Of course that was a better car for snow.

Do you have an Aero version? If so, it's your tires. The performance tires are not to be used for driving in the snow. You WILL need to get snow tires if you intend to drive in snow. If you have a Non Aero .. I'd still guess it's a tire issue. Have them checked. Our 9-5 did great in the 6-7 inch snow we got yesterday.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • vascdudevascdude Member Posts: 11
    First: Yes the GM employee discount applies. I recently got a quote on a 2003 Linear wagon Sticker: 39,700 My Price: 31,795
    That included the GMS price, along with the full 4,000 dealer cash that they must give along with it.

I didn't get a price on an Aero, but it does drive nice! A bit of torque/steer at take off but it's to be expected. The interior is well laid out and I think it's as sharp as a BMW, if a bit understated. I know the dealer has some cash on the Aero, but I don't think it's as much as the 4K on the Linear.

Also drove, and just purchased, a Volvo XC70. The 2003 model has mildly increased HP, but loads more torque. Also the addition of the Haldex AWD is an improvement on an already good system. I purchased this through the Volvo overseas program. Sticker: about 38,500 My Price 31,945
    This included AWD, Premium and Touring Pkgs, and I 'm not even going to Sweden to get it! I thought this was the best value with the AWD, although it's not quite the sporty wagon when compared to the Aero or BMW.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    thanks for the info...........
  • rwbxrwbx Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate the comments on my posting "Snow". I do have an Aero and your ideas make sense, especially after reading this month's Consumer Reports on tires. At 30,000 I think mine might be a little worn. I drive upstate frequently and I am always concerned about being caught in a snowstorm on the trip. My Audi wagon always gave me an edge of confidence, but the price was steep to buy again. Saab is a great driving car, a fun car, but I think that given the choice again, I'd return to the quattro, more tank-like but safer I think. Thanks again
    Well, you don't need to trade for a Quattro to be happy. True it's the best for snow but just know that the Aero tires are not intended for snow. Unsafe actually. Put the appropriate tires on in the winter. It will be cheaper than trading, save wear on your more expensive tires and it will handle the snow Great.

Drew
  • jonw2jonw2 Member Posts: 49
    I just read Warren Brown's glowing review of the 2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T in Sunday's Washington Post. Brown calls it a crossover SUV. I'm sure this subject has been discussed here from time to time, but I was wondering if any of the regulars here know of any plans for a Saab AWD.
    As owner of an older Saab 900S and a later Subaru Legacy wagon, it has long occurred to me that an AWD is way overdue for Saab. In my opinion, Saab lost market share to Subaru years ago when Subaru seemingly became the vehicle of choice for many outdoors enthusiasts.
    Having owned two, I'm still a big fan of Saab, although it seems to me that they are slipping somewhat behind the competition. By the way, Warren Brown said that, in normal driving conditions, 95 percent of the drive power on the Volvo XC90 goes to the front wheels, thereby saving fuel. He says "65 percent of the drive power is shifted to the rear wheels during slippery conditions." A unique roll over protection system was developed for the Volvo XC90, which gives it great stability.
    This is not intended to knock Saab, as I would choose Saab over Volvo any day, especially since it is now a subsidiary of Ford. However, it would be reassuring to see Saab reaffirm its status as a serious contender in the market.
    Jon,'87 Saab 185K trouble-free miles
    Yes, Saab plans to have an AWD version of the redesigned 9-3 model which is just hitting showrooms now.

I've seen the new 9-3. It looks great.

There are also plans to have a new Cross Over type vehicle on this platform. Prototypes have already been built and shown at Auto shows in the past year.

Drew
  • jonw2jonw2 Member Posts: 49
    Drew,

Thanks for your response. It's encouraging to know that Saab has an AWD 9-3 coming out soon. I hope Saab will offer an AWD in the 9-5 as well. Our Legacy wagon has been an outstanding performer, but I'm thinking that a Saab 9-5 wagon would provide more in comfort and safety.
    Regards,
    Jon
    Well, I don't know how soon Saab will have an AWD version 9-3 or cross-over. It's the plan but I haven't heard what the time schedule is.

I don't believe the current 9-5 has the room in it's archecture for an AWD system. My understanding is that AWD will have to wait for the next generation 9-5.

Drew
  • lonestar98lonestar98 Member Posts: 48
    thinking about getting one of these...price is a question. i undertand that there is a lot of dealer cash out there right now...what should i expect to pay for an '03 aero wagon?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    While you're waiting here for feedback, you may also want to check with Edmunds' TMV Pricing Tools? This will give you the average cost others are paying in your region.

Also, please note: Edmunds' new vehicle TMV prices do not take into account current Manufacturer-to-consumer incentives or rebates. If there are any customer cash incentives in your area, you'll want to make the necessary adjustments.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    subject says it all
    Hi Folks- We have a new discussion on the Wagon's Message board. If any of you have insights to share on Saab 9-5 and/or VW Passat wagons, please join us in this new discussion: Saab 9-5 wagon vs Passat Wagon. Help one of our Town Hall participants (booguion) make up his mind. Thanks!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • booguionbooguion Member Posts: 4
    I know this sounds dumb but can anybody comment on the new Saab colors. My dealer doesn't have all the colors and I just can't buy another silver anything! Has anyone seen the "Hazelnut"? Do the dark colors drive people crazy due to dirt /scratches, etc because they sure are pretty! My son's suggestion that for $800.00 bucks you can "have it painted any color" did not really help much with question. Any color experts out there? Thanks
  • sphinxasphinxa Member Posts: 1
    I was looking at a new 9-5 Aero wagon and the dealer here in So. Cal is taking $1k off sticker plus Saab is kicking in either $3k or 0 percent financing. I was wondering after looking at the pricing if that leaves the dealer with almost 2k profit (ie should I be expecting more of a discount on a $43k loaded Aero?) Very impressed with the handling and good fuel economy of this car.
    You should be able to get the Aero for about 35-37K.
  • booguionbooguion Member Posts: 4
    I keep reading messages about the great Saab deals people are getting and would appreciate some pricing info from the board "wizards". I am ready to buy so I need all the ammunition I can carry to the deal. I have checked the TMV on Edmunds and I know that there is a $4,000 'rebate' being given still. But what is a good realistic price for a new 2003 Saab Arc 9-5 wagon ( no Touring Pkg option) before the rebate? Edmund's says : $38,200. Or any suggestions on sites (besides Edmunds) to see the 'true value' and what the sales/Manuf. "add on" to the price? I am not very car savey and I don't mind the car people making some money but I don't want to be a complete sucker. I and my kids' college funds thank you for any morsals of wisdom.
    38,200 is before the incentive.
    I figure 34K - 35K may be a good price.

BTW, 1 year ago I bough an '01 9-5 SE Wgn for
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Try http://www.carsdirect.com - they will show you a decent price with the rebate factored in.
  • grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    I got an '03 ARC Wagon in the new Merlot, and it is beautiful. Getting plenty of compliments that although not a traditional SAAB Color, like silver, , it works!--Looked at hazelnut, and it looks like too mousey brown IMHO.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    You should be able to get invoice price on a Saab Wagon. We shooped around in So. Cal and even Vegas. We fell for the Aero Wagon and got a good price. They dropped $4500 for a loaded 2003. Deals can be had. Saab of Orange County or Findlay in Henderson Nevada
  • khaleokhaleo Member Posts: 9
    Can someone clarify.... please .... 9-5 station wagon Aero sport 4 cylinder turbo is faster than the 6 cylinder arc ??

my next comment is one commented earlier that its better to lease with an option to buy .... better than buying used any more comments..

thank you..
    The 2.3 L High Output Turbo produces 250 HP & 257 ft-lbs of tourque.

The V6 produces 200HP and 227 ft-lbs.

The reason is that the 2.3T engine's turbo produces a lot more boost than the 3.0 V6's turbo.

I have never driven the 2.3T, but owned a 3.0Lt.
    My understanding is the V6 has better performance from a stop, but once the engine is running the 2.3T has much more kick.

The bottom line is SAAB knows turbos. They can make a small engine produce a lot of power.
    hmmm... ok .... ty for the input.... that is very interesting... so really it does not matter wether you are driving a 6 vs the 4 then... except when accelerating from 0 - 60... it seems to me then get the 4 turbo for even better gas milage.... :]

I am still in the market for a buying a wagon... but now its getting kind of critical....Anyone regarding lease buy option vs buying a used 2001 or 2002

someone commented that its better to lease with a buy option since at the end of the lease term the car residual value is almost like $ 15000 to $18000 and you cannot buy a fairly used one ( 2001 or 2002 ) for that much.... any input... ty.

keep in mind that Saab does depreciate very quickly on the first year almost like $ 8000 based on edmunds )
    hey thx for the input...
  • dmaizedmaize Member Posts: 7
    We are looking to replace my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan with a used wagon (very embarassing and disappointing purchase, don't ask). 9-5 is our first choice, with BMW 5-series and Audi A6 also-rans. I am looking for good sources for used Saabs that have websites. Also, 99s seem to be most plentiful but I would rather have a 00 or 01. Any advice on model year preference, esp related to reliability?
  • dmaizedmaize Member Posts: 7
    I should add that I live near Oakland. I have been to ebaymotors as well as carfarm.biz in Daly City...
  • bewildered2bewildered2 Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a new 02'9-5 Aero Sedan for $10,000 off sticker (MSRP - 41,370, paid 31,370 plus TTL). This same dealer had two new 02'wagons at the same discount. Not sure if they are still there, but here's the info -Performance Saab in Houston, TX - George was my salesman.
    Why buy used when you can get new at this price?
    Good luck
    To dmaize- You may also want to check out the Consumer Ratings for the 2000 & 2001 Saab 9-5's in our our Used Vehicle Pricing guide. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your decision.

To bewildered2- Congratulations on your new 02'9-5 Aero Sedan! Thanks for the information on the 02'wagons! See you around Town Hall. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons

Revka
  • wilkichwilkich Member Posts: 52
    With due respect to those who bought new, buying used looks like a great deal. The 9-5s loose their value pretty quickly. Low mileage 01 and 02 wagons and sedans routinely go for less than $20k on ebay motors. '99s seem to go for even less. (Which leads me to echo a question above about whether anyone has had major problems with '99s. I suspect the lower resale relates to consumer reports' lower ranking of '99s) I was looking at the new 9-3s and now think that getting the larger 9-5 for less money is a better use of cash. Frankly, I would not consider buying a new 9-5.

Of course, this assumes that you decide to pay cash and don't finance a used car at 7% or so. I recently went through the same thoughts when we bought our Montero last year. While we could have saved almost $8k by buying used, the 0% financing made it "cheaper" to buy new.
  • bewildered2bewildered2 Member Posts: 13
    The reason that I would not buy used really has little to do with loss of value - I don't know how that car has been cared for nor do I know how it has been driven. In Houston, TX, most cars are driven very hard and I would not consider buying used here. I guess it all depends upon your perspective. Plus I bought a "demo" once and swore that I never would buy another vehicle with mileage again. (OK -so it was a Dodge Caravan!)
    I realize that some cars lose value more quickly than others - I've owned several Nissan's (great cars though). However,I remain pleased with my new 9-5 that I will pass on to my daughter in four years when she graduates from HS - and I will have put all of the mileage on the vehicle at the time it's passed on.
  • bmmillerbmmiller Member Posts: 9
    OK just to help people out with another price for reference, I paid $31000 for a loaded 2001 SE wagon. This was in August 2002 and it had 5k miles on it but sold as new because it had never been titled. I think it was a company car. I thought it was a great deal at the time but after reading other posts it seems more like a fair deal at best.
    We have had a few minor problems with this car. 1) On cold mornings it is sluggish when first starting up and sometimes even stalls. Is this normal? Is this a major concern? 2) Every now and then we get that sulfur smell that other people have mentioned . Is this a gasoline brand problem or could it be something bigger than that?
    I haven't mentioned anything to Saab service about these problems yet but I will at the next scheduled service.
    The sulfur smell your occassionally getting is nothing to be alarmed about IMO. Virtually every manufacturer has the problem on occassion. It's not clear exactly what the cause is but it can often be attributed to what Gas your using and what time of the year.

You may find it more prevelant during winter months if your in a colder climate due to the Formulations used in the winter. Keep a mental note of the Gas Stations your using before the smell presents itself. Switching Fuel Brands seems to help for some people I've read.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    So that's what that funky smell is when I crank on the air sometimes????? It is wierd. Never thought to mention to Saab. I always use medium grade fuel. As for the cold starts, I had that problem too this past winter (and I'm in So Cal!). And the battery light would stay on longer than normal on startup. I was assured those things were normal for this car by the dealer.
  • tailjatailja Member Posts: 1
    2000 was better rated than the 99 correct? The 99 is more in my range. Are they a good buy or not? What would you recommend?
    We had the first year 9-5 and loved it. They have improved a little every year in my opinion and we now have a 2002.

Is there really much difference in price between the '99 and '00? I'd tend to go with the newest and lowest mileage version I could find if I were buying used. It always good to try and get as much history on each as well. It could be that the older one turns out to be the least abused .. you just never know.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • petersjfpetersjf Member Posts: 8
    First impressions of 2003 Linear Wagon:
    So far, I love it! Better handler than the Passat or Volvo and more features for the money. Slightly bigger inside than the Passat and slightly smaller than the Volvo. I'm 6'5" and can get comfortable. Haven't come up with any major dislikes that I didn't know about prior to purchasing.

Very smooth around town once you learn how to drive the turbo 4 - V6 is perhaps easier to get smooth acceleration from stop, but neither I nor my picky passengers have any complaints about the 4. Getting 22MPH for in-town non-sport mode driving - fairly good for break-in period.

Really enjoying the Touring features (xenons, parking assist, rain sensitve wipers) more than I thought.

Price paid: 32.3k + TTL for Linear + Premium + Touring + Metallic Paint including March factory to dealer incentive ($4000) and $1000 GM Loyalty rebate (expired)

Hope that helps people looking at this great, value packed luxury wagon.
  • kklvkklv Member Posts: 1
    I too own a 2001 SE Wagon. Just bought it, while parking in the garage, I smelled the sulfur also. Went to the dealer, they checked it out, said the cataylytic converter needed to be replaced. Only has 22k miles on the car.
    Hmmm...I'm not getting that warm fuzzy Saab feeling people are writing about. I want to feel good about this purchase,
    but needing to replace a large ticket item has me rather unnerved.
    It's under warranty, but I did not buy this car to become better acquainted with my dealer.
    To petersjf- Congratulations on your new 2003 Linear Wagon, and thanks for sharing your first impressions. We look forward to hearing more.... Thanks for your participation!

To kklv- Welcome to this discussion, and sorry to hear about your Se wagon problem. Hopefully things will go smoothly from here on out. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your ownership experience.

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
    Relax. The sulfur issue is VERY common with ALL makes. I read a ton about cars and I hear it all the time.

The warm fuzzy should come to you knowing that your Dealer offered to replace without an arguement. I've dealt with lots of manufactures and Makes and many of them will argue that everything is just fine until you get very aggressive and argue and complain for a long time. It could be argued the Cataylytic converter when bad because of a bad fuel issue or sever driving etc. Applaud your dealer for NOT being contentious with you and taking care of it. Keep the faith. On our third Saab now because they take much better care of us than other dealers have.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • skday1skday1 Member Posts: 13
    I bought a 2002 Linear Wagon with 12,000 miles about a month ago, after shopping for a Passat wagon for months. I have no regrets - I love everything about my Saab except for the mileage; I'm only getting 19 mpg city driving, and I'm a pretty gentle driver.

Favorites: The leather is beautiful - I haven't let my dogs in the car yet. Automatic climate control is great. Heated seats are so necessary. The Sport mode and the Winter mode work great!

I am a Saab convert, after the following ownership history: Honda Civic, Toyota Camry wagon, and Passat wagon.
    I love the hazelnut, but the green is even better.
    19 mpg for city driving doesn't sound bad to me. I don't recall what the City Rating is but if your getting 19 that sould mean you'll get mid to upper 20's on the highway. Pretty good for this class really.

Drew
    I was hoping it would stay in the 20s, but I guess 19 isn't so bad.

Does anyone know if the sport button affects mpg significantly? In other words, should I feel guilty about using it? I would like to do my part to reduce our reliance on foreign oil.

Also, any recommendations re. reducing brake dust?

Finally, my stereo supposedly will go up in volume as my speed increases, but I haven't noticed that working. Any thoughts? I went through the process to turn this function on, but no changes.

Thanks,
    Susan
    Well.. your looking at City Mileage.. 19 is good for city I think.

You mentioned that your driving conservatively.. so.. using the Sport Mode is of no use really. Yes, it will effect mileage. In sport mode your holding a gear longer for higher RPM's and down shifting sooner.. again.. higher RPM's. I'd say only use it when you want to drive more aggressively and aren't concerned with mileage as much.

The Automatic Volume is a feature you can turn on and off. I haven't looked at ours lately so I can't tell you without looking it up on how to turn it on or off. I will say this... even when it's in use.. you don't really notice the adjustments.. that's kinda the point. It's supposed to adjust higher so you can still hear the music. More of a seamless thing you don't notice.. you should just notice that you can still hear the sound without having to manually turn up the volume everytime you get on the freeway.

I'm not sure this feature is all that great or not. I don't notice it.. Probably because it's working just as it should... who knows?

One feature you do want turned on is the "Loud" setting. Sorry but you'll have to look in the book for this too. Again I don't have it committed to memory. This feature effects the Sub for a richer sound. In the off setting the system is not nearly as good.

The sound system is decent but I think Dissapointing in the way you have to open the book everytime you want to change settings like these. I'm not sure why they can't just put a simple on/off switch for this one... Ugh.

Hope your enjoying your Saab.
    Drew
  • dmmcirvindmmcirvin Member Posts: 4
    After reading this site and others for 2+ years I finally committed and placed a deposit today for a 9.5 aero wagon. I loved the Volvo suv but the poor gas mileage, underpowered performance and less than optimal service at my Volvo dealer made the final decision easy. I hope my "new swede" will be as stellar and go 190K+ on the original clutch (german vehicles other than for the W8 were never seriously in the running). What is the feeling and experience in regard to synthetic oil? After one month, after the break in, Castrol vs. Saab (Mobil one)? thanks.
    New Saabs come witha Semi-Synthetic. They recommend continued use of this. IMO a Synthetic is not needed for most of us in a car like the Saab. But.. you do have the Aero... if your planning lots of aggressive driving, I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Congrats.
    Drew
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    We are considering the 9-5 wagon and are interested in real world experience. Is anyone using or have you tried using 3 car seats in the 2nd row of seats.

We have three kids with one in a booster and the other two in child seats. Thanx in advance.
  • petersjfpetersjf Member Posts: 8
    Gary,
    I just purchased a Saab 9-5 linear wagon and only have 2 car seats in it, but see no reason you couldn't put a 3rd in. I've put 2 close to each other with an adult sitting on the outside without too much crowding. The only thing I've noticed is that for my tall 2 year old, there's less rear-seat room than in a Grand Cherokee and he ends up kicking the new leather seats :)

The downside is that it's difficult to get the middle child in, and I would strongly urge you to take all of your car seats and kids down to the Saab dealership to really decide whether this is the car you want to transport the whole family.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions - FWIW, except for loss of some interior room, I love the car in every other respect.
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Peter - thanks for the response. We have a Land Rover Discovery II that we love but it will not hold 2 car seats and a booster...we just found out number three is on the way.

Two questions
    1. Per your comment, is it difficult getting the middle child in due to the lower height vs. an SUV?
    2. Can the adult in the back buckle their seat belt or do the seats take up too much room?

Thanx for all the help.