Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    explorex4, your're right. Because all cylinders are being turbocharged there wouldn't be a difference in temp, load, duty cycle, etc. And on the exhaust side, maybe it isn;t too big a parsitic load.
  • dmmcirvindmmcirvin Member Posts: 4
    My 3 month old aero wagon with a stick has plenty of power for me. Plus I get 28-29 mpg on my commute (mostly highway).
  • slehrmanslehrman Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6 wagon with 50,000 miles that comes off lease this month. The buy out price is $21,300 but Edmund's dealer retail price is $19,960. I would like to pay $20,000 but Saab Financial told me they won't take less than the lease agreement price. Does anyone have any experience negotiating with Saab Financial? I would be willing to pay the $21,300 if Saab would extend my warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    Here are a couple of thoughts: Our first 9-5 was through a Chase lease. I had no interest in the price they qouted and they eventually came down. A three year old 9-5 ended up at about $18,500 but that was the original SE version with a 4.

One thing to consider if you want to buy this one out: Talk to you dealer about buying it back from them as a "Certified Saab". What happens is that the dealer takes the car back and after certification you get a good extension on your warranty. I think it takes it to 100K. The certification does cost though. You might be surprised and find the buy back from the dealer to be a similar price though. Never know until you research it.

Good Luck
    Drew
    PS.. I'd strongly recommend extended warranty wether thru Saabs certification or buying one on your own.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    i'll be in the same boat fairly soon. have the same wagon too. steel grey?
    the only advice i've read (which is here at edmunds) is to move up the ladder until you get to a decisionmaker. the first level you get to can only spout the party line. if you can get to the right person, they might consider an offer greater than what the car would wholesale for.
    my guess is that 50k is a lot higher mileage than most leased cars out there.
    ours needed new brakes at 30k. how has your car held up?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Ours is an '02 with 22K not sure how close we are for Brakes. Our first 9-5 did need them around 30K if i remember but really that's pretty much the average for most cars.

My only dissapointent with the first 9-5 was an oddly worn rear brake rotor that had to be replaced. I should have argued that one for a warranty repair but didn't. If it happens again, I most definately will fight it.

Drew
    have never needed brakes that early on any vehicle.
    based on the amount of brake dust on the wheels, i wasn't surprised though. the traction control uses the brakes too.
    the new ones don't seem to make as much 'dust'.
    I went to the local Saab dealer who has a certified 2001 SE V6 Wagon, 45K miles for sale. The certification adds 2 years and 50K miles to the warranty. By the time I do the math, the certified car will cost the same amount as what I would pay to buy out my leased car. I drove the certified car. Three things I did not like: road noise (the pavement was wet), clunking sound when I pulled away from a stop, and alignment pulls slightly to the left. Either car is going to need new brakes and tires soon, so that is a toss-up. The dealer put in a new computer information display (CID), battery, and electronic fuel injection system. The car has been serviced every 10K miles (I serviced mine every 5K). It also has a new catalytic converter at 40K and front wheel bearing at 35K. Other than the CID, these are a lot more things than I have had to do to my vehicle.

I am not sure which way I may go. One one hand, the certified vehicle extends the warranty thru 11/2006 or 95K miles. On the other hand, I know what my vehicle is like.
    Slehrman, a new fuel injection system??? This car sounds like someone's lemon. It may have even been a buy-back. Have you considered running your OWN full detail (the ones the dealers give you are just summaries) carfax?
    I don't know if the Certified car your looking at was someone's lemon or not but I do have a comment or two about this particular car:

The "Clunking" sound you referred to is coming from the Fuel Tank. It's a problem that many owners experience in the 9-5. For some reason the design had this issue with a half to 3/4 full tank. Not all 9-5 owners had this. Saab had a fix that meant putting in baffles which reduced fuel capacity by a couple of gallons. We did NOT have this problem with any of our two previous 9-5's. If I had noticed it in a car I was interested in, I probably would have passed on it. Some Owners reporting this have been very annoyed.

If the dealer could not correct the pulling problem, I'd be concerned about the quality of their "Certification work" and future service work. I would expect a certified car to be Free of these issues.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • darandalldarandall Member Posts: 57
    The buyout for my '99 9-5 base model was $21,000. Chase was willing to come down $1000, which was probably the expense of taking the car back and getiting it to auction. I leased another one, this time from Saab Financial - much lower purchase at lease end. At 50,000 miles you may get tagged for the excessive wear in addition to the .20 per mile. Do the math and see how much the penalty would be - then figure out the purchase price. remember to subtract the mileage penalty from the agreed upon price. Also remember that you are buying a 50,000 mile vehicle, and not a trouble free new one! Donn
    the tire pressures could have had an effect on what you felt during your test drive.
    uneven tire pressure can result in pullng to the side. too high can make a lot of noise.
    check the tread on the tires as compared to new ones. you want as much as possible.
    at least the converter was replaced after to 'fuel injection'. their problems are probably related. in our wagon, you can actually hear the gas slosh around, 'feel it' too. i don't drive it on a regular basis, and don't experience it all the time, but if it happens between 3/4 and 1/2 a tank, that may be why. the clunk might also be related to the wheel bearing replacement.
    i would think even certified cars are negotiable.
    you should still get the cert car checked out before you buy.
    Thanks for all the great advice regarding the 2001 SE V6 Wagon. I am leaning toward buying my current vehicle since I know the repair history and it is in good shape. I would probably keep it another 4-5 years. What do people think about buying the Saab/GM extended warranty? The cost is $1700 for 3yrs/36,000 miles or $1950 for 3yrs/45,000 miles. How have Saab's held up once they get past 50K miles?
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    Curious to know if anyone has made any mods on there 9-5 Saabs. I am interested in stiffer shocks and steel braided brake lines. Has anyone used Abbott Racing, Hirsch or Nordic parts?
  • garyundigaryundi Member Posts: 1
    My car has excessive vibration at 70 MPH. Dealer has rebalanced tires twice. No improvement. anyone with similar problem or advice appreciated.
    What wheels, front I am assuming. How many miles on the tires. Suffering from excessive wear maybe? Have you had a 4 wheel alignment and/or tire rotation.
  • chic345chic345 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for feedback on buying a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE wagon from my local Volvo dealer (who apparently doesn't want a competing Swede on his lot). The car has 39,000 miles on it and appears gently used - only concern is a CarFax report showing it titled as a rental for its first 2000 miles prior to being titled to a private party (possibly a service loaner?). The dealer is currently down to $15,600 for the car. Is this as good a deal as it seems or am I missing something about this particular car or Saabs in general? I'd like to buy and drive this wagon to 100K+. Any thoughts or troublespots with Saabs (V6?) that I should be aware of before I write a check? Thanks in advance to all who respond to my plea for help!
    Will they let you take it to a local SAAB dealership for a checkup?. .
  • catk9catk9 Member Posts: 1
    Won't try to help regarding CarFax or mechanical questions but I can tell you that I'm also a first time Saab owner. I bought a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon with 39,000 miles on it from a private party for $23,500 in December 03. I'm not sure if that was a great deal but it is the top of the line model, appeared to be in excellent condition and the exact color I was looking for so couldn't pass it up. $15,600 sounds like a great deal to me as long as that title thing doesn't turn out to be an issue. I could not be more happy with my new, used car. I'm an ex-SUV person and not missing it at all. Good luck!
  • mushkinmushkin Member Posts: 1
    Coming off lease – buy-out or new car? If anyone has the patience to read this we’d really appreciate your advice. Here is our situation: Coming off a 3 year lease of 2001 9.5 SE V-6 wagon; a little over one month away from lease end. Buy out figure is: $20,075. Car is in good condition. The Edmunds on-line used car appraiser listed the private party sale of the car at $18,453; dealer retail at $20,436 and dealer certified used vehicle at $21,516.

We have heard that Saab does not negotiate on buy-outs, although we have read isolated accounts of knocking off $1,300 in last 48 hours before the lease ended, and one person said Saab was willing to extend the 4-year warranty to 7 years. (Saab Financial has told us they will do nothing for us at all.)

It seems to us that the SE/Arc model has not changed much in three years, altho some things we like have been eliminated: V-6 engine and standard Onstar installation (optional installation is $700). In favor of buying: Little change in model. Already eaten 3 years depreciation. Car is a known quantity. Some things we like no longer offered. Avoid turn in penalties of $1,383 (At 36,000 mileage -- 6,000 over mileage @ .20 = $1,200; and Saab Financial inspection assessed excess wear and tear at $183.) We don’t know whether our repair history is a pro or con in terms of buying the car at lease-end: minor roof leak at the outset; rear brakes at 25,000 miles; catalytic converter at 32,000; oil leak at 32,000; split axle boot at 32,000; the biggie is that the transmission was replaced at 30,000.

While we were considering all this, the dealer called and offered us: no last month payment of $443, and a sale price for the 2004 Arc wagon (including auto. transmission & premium package) of $32,650. Specific questions: Does Saab negotiate lease buy-outs at all (reduce price, extend warranty)? Why did Saab eliminate SE V-6? Will we feel the lack of V-6 with the 2004 Arc (power, acceleration)? Are we correct in thinking there have been no major improvements to the 9-5 SE/Arc wagon in 3 years (since 2001 model)? Is transmission replacement a pro or con for buying out lease? Once Saab has done the end of lease inspection – assuming nothing else has happened to the car, can they assess higher excess wear and tear figure? Thanks for answers to any questions.
    we have a lot in common. have 3 lease payments left on our '01 se wagon. the major powertrain differences with a new arc are a 4cyl engine, requiring premium fuel, and a 5 speed auto transmission. also lacks heated rear seats(which we liked), and onstar optional, as you mentioned.
    our car has been pretty good, sid was replaced, chronic oil leak, that was evenually fixed for good (although they pulled the engine looking for it). brakes replaced at 30k(paid for pads and labor, dics were comped). car has been in a couple of collisions, though(no sheet metal replaced).
    what kind of things did they write up as excess wear and tear?
    our dealer called last thursday offering a 3 month early turn in program. btw a 4k incentive expired last monday. did you get a $500 saving certificate?
    Reading the above two posts indicates to me that someone who leases a SAAB probably has a lot more options and incentives from SAAB after three years, than a buyer.
    From what you've described, it sounds to me like you have had plenty of things go wrong with this car. In 30,000 miles we havent had any problems. I am suspicious of a small electrical bug that is showing up now though.

If we end up with a repair history like yours, I will not be entertaining the idea of buying off lease. I certainly would not pay over the Edmunds Used car quote. I honestly belive you could be looking at an expensive repair future.

FWIW.. the V6 was dropped because of poor sales. I am not a fan of it and think it will prove to be an expensive engine to maintain in the long run. I think Saab is realizing this as well. There is at least one fan here of the V6 but not me. I can't prove or disprove my position but the dropping decision suggests I have a valid concern IMO.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • blacksaabethblacksaabeth Member Posts: 2
    Hi again:

Well it's been nine months since I purchased my 1999 9-5 wagon. The wagon had 90,000 km. on it at that time. The car is great and has been a delight even through this tough winter we're having in southern Ontario - it is winter and it is Canada! Do not have snows on it but perhaps before next winter will think on it. The Saab seems a bit lower than my Sable wagon. The tracs and ABS have been a real help on the slippery days and the front and rear heated seats a real comfort! Had one headlight replaced already and now need the other replaced at next oil change (soon). Timing belt was changed in summer when it had its large (read $$$) checkup. Saab dealer seems pretty good. I try to keep this black baby clean of salt and etc. but it's tough!

Will check back from time to time!
  • zaphodatlzaphodatl Member Posts: 9
    A 2001 Saab 9-5 wagon is on my list to replace my 1996 Camry DX sedan. Can anyone offer insights into reliability, utility and maintenance cost? Also, whether the 6 cyl is preferable to the 4 cyl? Thanks.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    So you too went from a Sable to a Saab. Did you have trouble adjust to the total lack of storage space in the Saab, compared to the Sable? I've never fallen in love with my Saab because of it, especially on family trips when the car is packed. But it's been so reliable and handles so well, apart from the rather "unsettled" ride style. Just curious.
    As my post above, I bought a Saab because of its rep for reliability. Have a 2002 Arc wagon with the v6. While i've never been in love with the car due to the lack of storage space and the rougher ride (compared do my 2000 sable wagon), it has proven quite reliable. Had a coolant leak early on, they had to tear the engine apart for 3 days to get to it, but once the dealership fixed, it never was a problem again, and it's the only problem I've had. The battery light goes on in cold weather for some reason, but goes out after a couple of minutes, and I'm told it's just a Saab thing by a few different people. As for the v6 vs the 4 banger, you couldn't pay me to own a 4 cylinder. I drove a linear sedan as a loaner for a few days and to me it drives like a truck compared to the v6. Saab's aren't smooth rides to begin with but the vibration in the 4 was awful (to me.) The v6 may be expensive to maintain once the warranty is up, but I like the performance. So there ya go.
  • mushkin2mushkin2 Member Posts: 1
    Regarding the SFSC inspection of our 2001 9-5 SE Wagon, we may have gotten lucky. There were several scratches and dents (though nothing major), but the exterior was pretty dirty from city snow conditions, and we were only assessed $183 for a 2-3" square dent/scrape -- a fair assessment in my opinion. Incidentally, we were told by our dealer that the parts & labor assessed for such damage tended to be less than what one might spend oneself.

We decided to return the 2001 SE, paying the disposition fee, repair assessment and over-mileage charge, and purchased a 2004 9-5 Arc Wagon. As of Feb. 13, 2004 in NYC, the $4500 manufacturer incentive and the $500 customer loyalty incentive were both available. Our final price was $32,150 ($35,100 with taxes & fees).

I should also mention that by turning in the leased 2001 and taking delivery of the 2004 by the day before our last payment was due, we also saved the last lease payment of $443. We should be getting a final bill from SFSC showing the repair bill, disposition fee + tax, and the over-mileage fee, less the amount of the last payment (we had already sent the check away before we decided to buy in a hurry). This forced us to settle for what the dealer had in stock, but he had a Grey Arc with automatic transm. & premium package, and that is pretty much all we wanted.

After a week, I would say we are satisfied with the 2004 Arc. It handles the same as the 2001 V6, handles lighter and seems to have as much or more pickup. The interior leather seems less luxurious, the grey interior color is a bit lighter, the steering wheel wrap is thinner, and there are no heated rear seats. This and the lack of included OnStar (now $700 as an optional install on the Linear & Arc) may be what's keeping the price of the car down. We probably won't miss OnStar, because they were never able to diagnose a problem or open car doors owing to Saab proprietary policies or something, and the built-in voice activation cell phone was very cumbersome to use (though it was hands free).
    I'm late with this response but .. oh well.

The v6 was dropped for obvious reasons. They didn't sell well and the i4 is just a better engine. At least compared to the V6 Saab had. It will be expensive as it ages.

Saabs I4 is a great engine. The reason someone described it as a Truck like is due to the fact that at idle it is not as smooth as the V6 and even other i4's. The reason is because Saab has alot of hp in this small engine as compared to other i4's... Its simply a trade off. If a rougher idle when sitting at stop lights bothers you, don't get the i4 unless it's a 5 or 6 speed that will be in neural at idle.

IMO.. avoid the v6 unless you'll have a warranty during the life of your ownership. Actually, Saabs are expensive in any form after warranty. ;) We're on our 3rd Saab.

Drew
  • sfsaabsfsaab Member Posts: 1
    I've had 4 Saabs. Two years ago, I had a V6 loaner from the dealer. I was shocked at how loud and course it seemed next to the I-4. Now I own an SE Wagon (V6), and I have grown to like it. Definitely a different personality than the I-4. I always assumed they dropped the V6 to cut on production costs - one engine is easier to develop than two? In 1994 I was disappointed that Saab introduced V6s. However, I think they'll reintroduce them as the model lineup grows. GM must have a lot of V6s to choose from. My Volvo-owning neighbor recently commented on my "Swedish GM." I thought to myself: "better than a Swedish Ford."
  • stefan_belgiumstefan_belgium Member Posts: 17
    I completely agree with you, the V6 is by far inferior to the 4.
    The 4 is a genuine proven Saab engine that last forever. I see many on the road with incredibly high mileage that don't burn oil.
    The V6 is based on much less durable Opel engine.
    The brand new Opel engines are probably as good as the Saab nowadays (Opel has improved tremendously lately) but the V6 in the 9-5 is the previous uninspired Opel engine which I found rather loud, rough at high rpm and much less poweful than the 4 in an aero.
  • txrx71txrx71 Member Posts: 6
    i am strongly considering the purchase of a 9-5 Wagon...but i was reviewing the specs on it..and i noticed nothng was mentioned about any side-impact bags/curtains for those in the rear seat. does this mean sasb does not hve them? can this be possible? since the kiddos are going to be in the back, does that mean the comparable volvo v-70 has a clear safety advantage over saab? any thoughts??? thanks.
    Yeah, I have an 02 Arc wagon that has every freaking feature under the sun, but I don't believe there's a canopy or side curtain for the rear passengers. Honestly though, how much safety do we need? Kids are automatically safer in the back seat (than the front) to begin with. I picked Saab over Volvo because it had a better rep for reliability. And not that I use them much, but the back seats in my Saab are hands down the most comfortable car seat I've ever sat in, period. Good luck.
  • bcoolbcool Member Posts: 59
    I just bought a new 2004 SAAB 9-5 Wagon. We recently had some big rain storms and I noticed that the rear hatch is leaking. The dealer says that every thing looks OK, but I believe that there is a slow drip coming down from the top. Is anyone else have the same problem?
    It's coming in thru the "third" tail light above the hatch. It took me about 30 minutes, a garden hose and a saturday afternoon to figure that one out. I guess they don't have that kind of expertise at the dealership.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Finding leaks is one of the most annoying and difficult things to do. I had one in my Accord during heavy rains and I'd get a little drip on my right ankle. I spent 2 whole afternoons and untold gallons of water and I couldn't duplicate it. Now it's gone away. ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH
  • saabzerphunsaabzerphun Member Posts: 4
    I am a Saab owner, fourth time, with a 2000 Aero 5-speed that is an absolute kick to drive. From the reading I've done, I understand models produced after, I think, 2002 have a higher degree of structural safety built in and perhaps even a few more passive safety elements. I would LOVE to own a newer 9-5 Aero wagon with every possible option except automatic tranny. Can anyone provide edification regarding worthwhile options, worthless or poorly presented ones, any reliability issues relating to optional "stuff" as well as warranties, suggest any alternative audio gear (I'm having display issues ~ the Harmon-Kardon radio functions perfectly, it just 'sometimes' chooses not to display the station or band selected).

I'd really like to have the Aero wagon that's the "Big Dog in Town" of all local Saabs. If you have had a good or poor experience with improved performance modifications as well as appearance or "stylin'" add-ons, I'd love to hear your story. I don't check the Forums as often as I'd like, but I promise to read, evaluate, and respond to your missives within 2-3 weeks (sooner if possible). My current ride is fine, it's just that it doesn't have a hatch (my first 3 Saabs were 9000s) and is a beautiful shade of Arrest Me Red (I mean Imola Red, of course). I'd like to drive something a bit more subtle, but with a go factor beyond the normal, "This one goes to 11!" If I could drive a wagon that rips off sub-six second dashes to 60, had a decent all-wheel drive system (a la the Pike's Peak 9-3 of a few summers ago), cornered like a 911, and LOOKED like a grocery-getter, I'd spring for it.
  • wilburpanwilburpan Member Posts: 9
    We've been looking at station wagons since the beginning of the year, and I like the Saab 9-5 wagon. However, after reading the Edmunds Inside Line column on Saab's financial troubles (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=104895), I'm worried about buying a car from a manufacturer that may not be around much longer. Should I just go ahead and get a Volvo V70?
    SAAB will be around. You should go for the 9-5 with an I-4. I have the Aero Wagon, but for all around use, I'd recommend the Arc. I think that the SAAB ergonomics are better, it's quieter and the Harmon Kardon stereo (optional) is really nice. It's a lot more solid than the V70. If you're thinking used - stay away from the SE V6. The 9-5 with an I-4 has a lot in common with the 9000. If your concerned about maintenance, there are independents around who have been servicing the I-4 config for 18 years.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    SAAB is not really a manufacturer. It's now just a brand in the GM conglomerate. The General can keep it alive as they're doing with Saturn, or they can shelve it like Oldsmobile... strictly a corporate decision.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
    But what auto company is a manufacturer? Just about all auto parts are outsourced. Over the past 50 year SAAB has made a significant impact on the auto world. About 40 years ago SAAB marketed a unibody, fwd, fuel injected, 4 wheel disk car with safety crumple zones. Now nearly all vehicle are built to this recipe. Can't say the same for Saturn and Olds. If SAAB plays their cards right, they'll use the GM financial backing to their advantage and be out in front of the pack in the years to come.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Sorry, but SAAB isn't able to determine how they play their cards. When enlisted men from different countries play cards with a General, whose rules do you think they use?

If GM really wanted to have SAAB perform in the marketplace they would start with a product as least as advanced as Volvo or Audi. That means a quick phone call to Haldex for an AWD system to throw under their vehicles, adding more differentiation to the AERO with a high revving V6 stolen from Holden or someone, aluminium pedals, etc. Maybe even adding additonal segmenation by having a stripped down, low MSRP, wash it out with a hose, outdoorsy version of the 9-3 like Nissan does with the Xtera. The early 20's crowd would eat it up.

Then they would borrow a page from Saturn and have transaction prices fairly close to MSRP (i.e, no more fictitous list prices that no one pays and that only cheapens the brand) and a better ownership experience. Believe it or not they might try to support some of the Saab groups (New England Saab Owners, for one) still out there.

But the biggest problem is the product. The potential SAAB buyer may be different but he ain't stupid: four cylinders and 2WD don't make it anymore in the (winter) niche that SAAB invented. (I can remember when half the faculty at Cornell was running two stroke SAABs with canvas snap on covers across the radiators for cold mornings in Ithaca. What AWD Swedish and German cars do you think they now drive?).
    Oh, I forgot to mention turbocharging and vehicle aerodynamics as some of SAAB other developments. Many vehicle today don't achieve the low drag coefficients that SAABs of the sixties had. Other manufacturers have resorted to the V6 for more power. SAAB focused it's development on the turbo 4. This is the better environmentally friendly fuel efficient option. Fuel efficiency, environmental impact and occupant safety have always been foremost in the SAAB design. 4WD SUV's were not part of the vision. Even today's AWD/4WD vehicles don't get the fuel economy that 2WD cars get. Don't forget about the additional maintanence required for the AWD option.

However, I agree with you. SAAB would have been better off in the market place had they offered an AWD option.

As for safety, Saturn and similar vehicles just don't cut it. SAAB has (or had) extremely high standards with crash investigations and testing being a significant part of the vehicle design process. Testing is an important part of the design process, however it is also the most expensive. I also doesn't stick out on the show room floor.

Interesting comment about the 2 cylinder SAABs in Ithaca. I remember going to Aspen Co. in the 1980's. Their police department was using a SAAB fleet.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Funny you mention Aspen, I think I recall an ad series about 5 or so years ago where they had Land Rover Discoveries. I guess that they are very open to new vehicles. I'm continually amazed that the state police in northern New England stick exclusively to one of two vehicles: either the Ford Crown Vic or in NH brown/green (you gotta see it to appreciate how bad a color scheme it is) Chevrolets. Come on guys, there are better alternatives out there for the six months a year you need a modicum of traction. The State Police in MA have a significant number of Expeditions which isn't the solution. Maybe Chrysler can put some 300's or Dodge Magnums with AWD in these fleets.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Don't get so excited by the fact that Aspen uses SAAB's. The city gets a cut rate deal from SAAB to use them.

Also, Volvo may replace them soon:

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20050308/NEWS/103080004

Also Dodge announced a Charger police version with both 6 cylinder and Hemi powerplants at the NY auto show last week which will be available this fall.
    Just a followup -- my wife and I did another test drive of the Volvo V70 and the Saab 9-5 Arc wagon. In the end, we just liked the 9-5 Arc wagon much better, and we picked it up over the weekend. We love it!

So I guess we overcame the fear over Saab's financial health, and hopefully our purchase will keep them solvent a while longer. :)
    Congrats Wilb!

You'll love the Saab. We're nearing the end with our 3rd Saab, 2002 Steel Grey Wagon. This one is a lease and I DON'T want to turn it in. If Saab financial would give me a decent buy out, I'd buy it but that's not looking good at this point. So May 11th could be a sad day here. We've had Two 9-5's and althougth they are getting a bit Dated by 2005 Standards, they are still Amazing cars!

Sadly, I see Saab has taken out some of the features available in earlier years.

As far as Comments I've seen on this page about GM and Saab etc.:

Yeah, the General is in control and they've done at least Two REALLY Bonehead moves. First, the Saabaru then the SaabBlazer. What a Shame. Look that the HIT Volvo had with a great SUV design. They can't keep them on the lot even at the insane Volvo pricing and Horrible Electronic Problems.

I've read recently GM dropped the planned Saab/ Subaru version of the Tribecta and do an SUV Saab on a different GM chasis more in line with what they did for the new 9-3. That should be better. The 9-3 hit a good mark IMO. Take a look at the BMW X3 next time you see one on the road. Imagine a Saab grill on it and you think.. wow now that looks exacly like a Saab design similar to the last versions of the original 900. Think of it next time you see one, you'll see it too.

Also, I find in encouraging that GM plans to design and build a new European Cadillac at the Saab plant in Sweden. Now that could keep Saab on a respirator.

I'm hopeful
    Drew
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Is the 9-5 really more solid than the current-gen Volvo S60/V70?
    I guess it depends on your definition of "solid". We felt that the specific parts of the 9-5's ride that we liked was the way it handled cornering, and a zippier feeling engine. The Volvo did have a plusher feeling ride, and was a little quieter, but in the end the Saab won out for us.

Reliability data seems to consistently place Saab ahead of Volvo, although neither are in the same class as Japanese brands. The interesting thing that I found was that both Saab and Volvo seemed to do better than most German car brands in reliability among German car owners. Again, Saab did better than Volvo in this poll.
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Looking for a midsize wagon and the 9-5 caught my eye. Haven't test driven yet but I found a potential problem when I sat in a sedan last night. Even with the seat lowered all the way, the head clearance seems to be minimal and in this position, you lose all of your thigh support. Any thoughts or similar experiences?