Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5 Series Sport Wagons

Comments

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Shoot me. Please.
  • mshea60mshea60 Member Posts: 1
    OK, given the new 7-series controversy, I've reserved judgement on the Banglization of BMW until seeing the new E60 in person.

After owning over a dozen BMW's in every shape over the last 20 years, including an '00 528iT sport, my verdict is in. Coincidently, last friday a new E60 530i ($52k) was at the dealership the day I was there to consumate a trade of my '99 M3C for a '00 540iT. There, sitting side-by-side, was my E36 with its new E46 M3 brethren and my E39 wagon with its new E60 cousin. The comparisons were stark. I have to be perfectly honest - the new 7-series is beautiful by comparison...and that is a shame. It was a sad day to realize that my loyalty to BMW may be over. I was beyond pleased to be driving away with the last of the pre-Bangle cars and will probably drive this 540iT until the wheels fall off. On that note, at 28k miles and $31k, it was a terrific bargain.
  • flbchbmflbchbm Member Posts: 1
    USA. I am considering a '99 528iT wagon, Premium package, 49,350 miles, certified. What I really want to know is:

1. Just how expensive is ownership? (ie; every day wear and tear or mid/major maintenance items: oil changes, brakes, exhaust, alignments, engine diagnostics, etc.)

2. Are you taking it to the dealer or a reputable independent shop?

3. What kind of mileage is every getting for city, state, or combined?
     I am getting conflicting stories throughout the net.

Thanks!
  • newienewie Member Posts: 15
    i have a question about maintenance, as a first time BMW buyer, would the series 3 wagon be the same cost to maintain as the new to come series 5? or would parts and labor prices go up with the higher priced series? thank you
  • 2wagonhos2wagonhos Member Posts: 3
    I need to replace our Conti's and everywhere I call in the Bay Area says they are on two month back order. Does anyone else have a recommendation on replacement tires? We have 235/45 R17 94Y's and we want to stick with this size. The care (528iT) also has the sport package option. Any help would be appreciated!
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    CR rates the '99 528i at "better than average reliability".

It sounds like this one is CPO from a BMW dealer? So you'd have 2 years of warranty, right?

Do you know about the reputation of this dealer service dept? Or have you researched indie BMW mechanics in your area? A lot of BMW owners take their car to a really good indie mechanic after the warranty runs out. In some cases BMW dealer service can be VERY expensive. When I owned an M6 I took it to a BMW dealer ONCE for service, then never again. In fact, you should have this car checked out by an indie BMW mechanic, regardless of the "CPO" status. (There have been occasional horror stories about CPO cars).

On the other hand, I have a 2000 528iT that I bought CPO when it was 2 years old & had 14,000 miles. I've had almost no problems (knock wood), & my dealer has been great. But, they are one of the only BMW dealers in my metro area that I could stand to deal with. They're more rural & not as pricy or arrogant as some. My 15K service was around $200 I think, with the pricey synthetic oil & new wipers all around (I didn't get the cabin air filters, just vacuumed them myself, & I'm going to order them to save $$ & put them in myself)

My mileage has ranged from a low of 17 to a high of 23, & averages around 19 mpg in mixed driving (auto trans).

Do yourself a favor & join the BMWCCA. The official mag, The Roundel, alone is worth the price. And the E39 board on Roadfly.org is worth checking out. Good luck!
  • marcrocketmarcrocket Member Posts: 2
    My 528it, has been back to the dealer three times this year with a defective rear hatch. It rattles and does not close correctly. Could this be your trouble?

They fix it and it goes again. I hear the X5 has a problem in this area.
  • marcrocketmarcrocket Member Posts: 2
    I bought an '00 528it wagon / spot package last August. 38,000 miles. It was a cert pre own with warrenty. Front brakes needed replacing at about 42,000, cost about $550 at the dealer. The car is a blast to drive. I love it. It's way cooler than a sedan. All that cool has a high cost. Quality is quite low. It has been back to the dealer 5 times for warrenty problems. These visits often cover multi problems. It has needed the rear hatch fixed three times. Same problem. Oil change is $75.00. I am looking for a lower cost oil change, but need to figure out how to reset the oil light.

Milage averages 20mph and I drive very fast every day. So it's fun to own, just expensive. Can't come close to a Toyota for reliablity.
  • lightcahilllightcahill Member Posts: 22
    We have a 1999 528iAT wagon. It has 107,400 miles on it. Many of those miles have been on long distance trips of 3 to 5 k miles. We expect to get 28 mpg on long trips, and often do better. Around town - suburbs, not city, we get about 24 to 26 mpg. Repair cost at the dealer in Kentucky was not outrageous, and we had very little go wrong with it over time. Service and repair costs here in Colorado have been much higher, and will force me to seek an alternative to using the dealer, which has always been the case in the past. $70.00 for an oil change is past the point of being rediculous.

Hourly rates at both dealers in KY and CO have been the same for our 528 as for my old 1994 325is coupe. Parts costs may be a bit higher on the 528, but not that I would notice. My old 325is gets well over 30 mpg on trips.

Both cars suffer a loss of power when driven in the higher altitude in Colorado. I cannot imagine spending $50,000 for a new 525i wagon and having even less horsepower and torque than I have in the 528. If you are down near sea level it may not be that bad.

My wife vetos any new BMW, even if I could afford one, on the basis of the I-drive, and I veto it on the basis of looks. We plan to keep both of our oldies for a long, long time and then buy a ford or chevy when they finally give up the ghost.
  • tlmmhowelltlmmhowell Member Posts: 48
    Does anyone know of a good Independent mechanic in the Omaha area? My 99 540iTa just went off CPO and I need a good indie. Thanks.
    Terry Howell
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    tlmmhowell... If you find one, let us know. I live in the greater Omaha area and I never found one. This was one reason I traded in my former '98 540i6 right before it went off CPO warranty. Markel BMW is pretty expensive, even with BMW CCA membership. (If you aren't a member, you should join. You'll get a 10% discount on parts.)

There is at least one group of independent BMW mechanics that advertise in Roundel (BMW CCA) and Bimmer magazines, but I've never seen an Omaha shop listed.
    Yes, I am a member. I just changed the oil in my 540 and whipped out my card at the parts counter to get the discount. I will do about anything not to give John Markel extra dollars. They treat me like a leper there, because I had the audacity to buy elsewhere. I love my 540iTa, but like you, am nervous about upcoming maintenance.

Just to pass along: While at the parts counter, I bought a tube of "rubber care" (Gummi-Pflege) #82149407015. This stuff is great for creaky doors. I'm sure it would work on Lexus autos also! I'm thinking of cooking with it. Take care.
    Terry Howell
  • calchcalch Member Posts: 11
    We are looking for a wagon that can accomodate three car seats. On a recent trip to Germany, I saw the new 5 series wagon and it looks great. It looked like the LATCH system is only set up for two seats, although there are seat belts for three people in the back.
    Therefore, I was wondering whether anyone has experience with fitting multiple car seats into the 5 series.
    Thanks for the help.
    Hi everyone,

I went to a BMW dealer in SF/Bay area over the weekend to see when the new 5 series wagon will get to the US. The answer was, that the car will not be sold in this country. Something about import quotas. Also called another dealer and was told that there is no scheduled arrival time. Can anyone confirm that there will be no 5 series wagon in the US?

Thanks
    calch... Was the dealer trying to get you to buy something off his lot today? Sounds like he doesn't want you to wait till the new E60 wagons come out. All reports are there will be 525i and 545i wagons.

Wondering if this dealer wants to sell you a used E39 wagon, X3/X5, or 3 Series wagon. They want to sell what they have on hand and will often say anything to generate a sale today.
  • uwahuskyuwahusky Member Posts: 17
    Yes, that's exactly what the dealer is trying to do, sell you something now.

I've had the same experience. Dealer thought by telling me they wouldn't be out this fall that I'd bite on something else but he did confirm they'd be out in the USA in Spring 2005 and I've heard that same thing from multiple sales people and multiple dealerships.

Once I told him I wouldn't mind waiting until Spring he game me the hard sell on a X3.
    uwahusky,

thanks for the info. I hope you are right. When I called a dealer a few months back I got the same answer, only that they promised the cars for this fall.

I am not sure the salesperson was trying to switch me to anything else. He said nothing was coming and he did not suggest another BMW. His answers was that for a luxury wagon I would have to go across the street to the MBZ dealer. So unless there were some major mind-games at work, there was not switching effort and I walked right of the lot without him pitching any other cars or any other comments.
    Similarly, when I called the other dealer, he did not try to suggest another car. He said he was actually trying to get some used wagons in to cover demand. I know that is another way to get you to buy a new car, but he knew that I did not have a BMW wagon. So again, don't think they are trying to get me to buy another car.
    In general, all the dealers I have dealt with in the Silicon Valley area that deal in German luxury cars (BMW or MBZ) have been quite good. Test drove at MBZ and walked right out afterwards, did not have to leave phone number, copy of license or anything else. Did not try to convince me to buy the car after driving it and there were no calls the next day. There was no "what do I need to do to get you into this car today" at any dealer. This was quite different when we were living in the LA area, but here they seem to sell enough cars without trying to force one on you.
  • cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 4
    Sorry to jump in so late on this, but I just bought a '99 528iT with 42k miles on it (not a CPO car) from a BMW dealer in Lafayette Indiana. I will be looking for either a dealership I can deal with or an independent BMW mechanic in the western suburbs of Chicago (West Chicago).

This car is my first BMW purchase, and hopefully not the last, but we will see how reliable and expensive or inexpensive to own this car it. I love driving it, though! It is Titanium Silver with grey leather, and has the premium and cold weather packages. I am going out right now to install the 6CD changer I just got from eurobuyers, thanks to info I received from this board!

One last question - this car has Conti TouringContact CH95 tires on it that appear to be almost new. I have read very mixed reviews as to how these handle winter driving. Is there any consensus on this tire, and what alternatives to it do I have for all-weather driving? This car is more for family use and less for high-speed or performance driving, but driving enjoyment is desirable!
    cyoung... Your family is worth it (not to mention your driving pleasure):

- Use summer tires in spring, summer, and fall.
    - Use winter (snow) tires in winter.

All-season tires are a mediocre compromise. They don't do anything really, really well.

This is esp. true for RWD cars. Using the right tires will bring out the best in the car.
    Thanks for the reply. Now, conventional wisdom seems to indicate that if I were to get steel rims and snows for this BMW, the tires should be taller and narrower. Can you suggest what sort of rims and tires I would want to look at?I assume you are thinking of Bizzaks or similar? I am interested in this also from the standpoint that winters can be tough on alloy rims. Thanks.
    cyoung... There are a ton of very good winter tires on the market. Depends on how much you want to spend. Check out the Tire Rack or other web sites to learn more.

Yes, using a taller, narrower tire in winter is recommended, as are a set of cheap steel rims.
    I hate to disagree with Riez, but I have a 99 540iTa with the Contis and I have no problem in the winter in Iowa. I tried different tires when the first pair of Contis wore out (Falkens) to gain more handling. I hated them so much I sent them back and put new Contis OEM tires on mine. The hassle of changing/storing wheels is just a bit much for me and the DSC program does such a damn good job that while I know all seasons are a compromise, it works well for me.
    Guess it can depend upon where you live.

Just came back from Pittsburg, PA. Tons of hills. Steep hills. Bet tires there can make all the difference. Compare that to much of NE, IA, IL, etc. We can be very flat. Winter is different for those in hills versus those on flat or flatter ground. (I live in the Loess Hills. So we are a lot more hilly than the surrounding area.)
    Thanks for the reply. I grew up in northern Iowa (Cedar Falls), and have driven in snow all my life. It is also, as Riez points out, pretty flat here in Illinois as it is in much of Iowa. Also, the street departments do an excellent job of keeping up with snow plowing here (as opposed to Iowa, where the streets get pretty icy due to lack of salt use).

So, I will mull this all over, and will likely try it out this winter to see how it goes. I have a good friend in the Rockford area with a 528 that loves it in the winter with stock tires, and he is used to driving a 4WD Cherokee!
  • loug35loug35 Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone tell me of any issues or concerns I should be made aware of with the 01' year?
  • sweepsweep Member Posts: 1
    i am about to pick up a 540i, 2001. the car was leased and has 35,000 miles on it. looks barand new inside and out. the engine looks as if it just came from the factory. the car comes with a sports package: extended front seats, folded rear seat and a cold weather package. here's my question: is there anyone out there who is familiar with this car, any problems i should anticipate and lastly, what are the best tires? can i use all year tires or do i need winter tires? i live in connecticut. thanks. sweep
    If the car has the sport pkg, then it has low profile "summer" tires and you will definitely need seperate wheels and winter tires. Does it have xenon lights? They are really nice. Problems are dependent on lots of factors, mainly due to service or lack thereof. How you handle service from this point on will determine how the car holds up. Biggest problem area probably the a/t. I assume this one a 6-speed. Stick with good synth oil and service things before BMW calls for, e.g., brake fluid, tranny, radiator, rear diff, etc..Good driving to you.
    Terry
  • robm1robm1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi

Just drove the X3 (with a stick, which was wonderful), and a x5, but I'd like to try the new wagon.

Anyone know when this will be available stateside,
    particularly with AWD & a stick?
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Unless they are doing something different with the station wagon from the sedan 5 series then it isn't going to have AWD anytime soon. I asked BMW directly when/if the 545 was going to be available in AWD and they said there were no immediate plans for it. I had heard a while ago that they were going to have it available this year, but that's not the case. I'm planning on getting winter tires for my 545 and I know there are many here that don't think AWD is any better in the snow that RWD with snow tires. This is my first RWD drive car (I had the 330xi before it) so I can't tell you from experience if it is going to be as good in the snow with snow tires as AWD. From what I've seen there are arguments on both sides of that fence.
    Hi robm1,

Does not look like the wagon (in any version) will be coming our way any time soon. Talked to several dealers and contacted BMW USA and always go the same answer. "We don't know when it will be here". BMW USA just gave me a generic "stay tuned" answer, so I guess I could wait for email updates on this.
    Saw this car on trips to Europe and Japan. Looks great. I just cannot believe that they export cars to Japan before the US. Seems odd that one of their biggest markets comes last.

We actually started looking at Volvos, since we want to buy before the end of the year and I don't think the sports wagon will be here by then.
    I have owned a Volvo wagon, before my E39 wagon. The BMW rides way better than the Volvo. Way better. I have a good friend who still owns a V70 and he complains about the ride everytime he rides with me. So, make sure you can be happy with the ride and the driving dynamics. Take your time.
  • acubeacube Member Posts: 2
    Would appreciate if someone could let me know if the 2002 540iT has the LATCH system (could not find it in a 2001).

Thanks Alec, Toronto Canada
  • jarheadedjarheaded Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking for a 99-01 model import wagon and the 99 528iT is one model I am considering. One requirement is the ability to tow a small boat (about 2,500 lbs total). Has anyone pulled a boat with this car?
  • e39_touringe39_touring Member Posts: 13
    2,500 lbs shouldn't be a problem. BMW makes a custom hitch for the iT, but it may only be rated to 2,000 lbs. Does the 2,500lbs inlcude everything (trailer, equipment, etc.)? How far will you be towing it?

;
  • blue911blue911 Member Posts: 1
    Just started looking for a 5-series wagon. A 1999 through 2002 would be in my price range. I am curious about the DECREASE in power going from the 1999-2000 528iT to the 2001 525iT. The 528 has 193 hp/206 ft-lb (7.9 sec 0-60) vs the 525 which has only 184 hp/175 ft-lb (8.8 sec 0-60). These figures are from Edmunds. I would not have guessed that 9 hp could shave almost a second off the 0-60 time, but the 528 does have disproportionately higher torque which would explain the better acceleration. Curb weight is the same.

What improvements in the newer 525iT would offset this significant decrease in power?

Thanks.
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    Improvements? Not worth going with the less powerfull engine. After much debate, we leased an 01 525iT. After two years we sold it and leased a 03 540iT. (Now BMW gets it right - they're offering the big 3.0L 6 in the wagon for 05/06).

Not so much the HP, the 2.5 in the 01 is lacking torque. The engine makes the car barely adequate in the driving experience. We have a family of four and sometimes fill the cargo space. The engine struggles during rapid acceleration and climbing any sort of hills. While the big V8 is really unnecessary (but a hell of a lot of fun!) the small 6 was a major disappointment.

If you can find a 99 or 00 528iT with low miles, get that over a 01-05 525iT.
    The 2000 is the best year because it's the only year you can get the 2.8L with the 5 spd steptronic automatic transmission.

• lenunbiasedlenunbiased Member Posts: 13
    I just pulled the trigger on a low miles 2000 528iT. Drives great. Actually preferred the feel vs. the two 540iT's I test drove, and obviously the mileage is better. Very psyched!
  • beaurbeaur Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know if the new ones have made it into the showrooms yet! You can configure one on the BMW site but I didn't see one when I window shopped today?
  • grekgrek Member Posts: 1
    Does any one uses 'regular'?. My 00 528iT manual states that the engine is equipped with knock sensors so even lower grade gasoline can be used - provided 87 is met. So I pour the regular. No problems. So many people hesitate. Why? :confuse:
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    My 2001 525 wagon had been rated as having 65 cu ft of cargo volume with the seats folded down.

The 2006 model is rated at 58 cu ft. despite the larger overall dimensions.

What's up??
  • ra1076ra1076 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm considering buying a 2003 525iT from an online post so I can't actually see the car. I have a tall dog motivating the switch from an '01 passat sedan to a wagon. Can someone with a 525iT possibly tell me how tall the cargo area is ... I need it to be at least 3ft tall or the dog won't be able to stand/sit in back while riding.

Thanks!
  • vanaldervanalder Member Posts: 29
    That's a TALL dog. I just measured our wgn at 29.5". Unless the eyes are set
    somewhat low, he/she won't be able to see out. Most dogs -one would
    think- will tend to lie down once 'settled'. I have added a two-piece plywood
    (edged with plastic a la picture frame) floor panel. Something like this
    would protect the material.

Good luck to your dog.

Daan
  • spratigusspratigus Member Posts: 1
    just bought a wagon and I wish to customize it.....does anyone have one of this model 90-94 and have they done any work to it?
  • derkombiwagenderkombiwagen Member Posts: 13
    I currently have two large Goldens (110# & 106#) that ride in the back of my '99 528iaT for short trips (vet, groomer, etc). My previous Golden (70#) was very content to ride in the back with room to turn around, look out the window, etc. I purchased an LL Bean extra large rectangular dog bed that fit perfectly in the cargo space. This combination, along with putting up the netting to prevent him from reaching over the seat and drooling on my two boys in their car seats, was very effective. Hope this information helps!
  • janetkjanetk Member Posts: 3
    Any recommendations for summer and winter tires for a 1999 528i wagon?

Thanks for the help about octane levels and after market warrenties
  • derkombiwagenderkombiwagen Member Posts: 13
    Without question, Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50s for the winter (www.tirerack.com). For summer tires I have Continental ContiPremierContact P225/55R 16 94H on the '99 528 iaT OEM rims (luxury - not sport - package). I noticed that these tires tend to cause considerable vibration through the steering column when they're inflated to the manufacturer's specs. This was determined after numerous troubleshootings with my BMW maintenance dept. My option is to run them slightly less than what is spec'd for air pressure. The ride otherwise is nice. Great grip and cornering with these tires. I just went to tirerack.com and noticed that they no longer carry these tires (by this name). I hope this helps with your search.
    The car will run OK on 87, but I wouldn't do it regularly. These engines run very high compression rations (10+:1). The knock sensors will keep retarding the timing until the knock goes away, but you'll be running at way less than optimal iginition timing. The result, power and mileage go down, and, worse, peak combustion temerpatures go way up. Over time, this will cause premature valve wear and pit the pistons.

Many will disagree with me, but as added insurance, pay the extra few $$ and get the high-test.

This discussion has been closed.