Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Depends on your definition of off-roading. My OBS tackles the beach, deep mud and dirt with ease. ;-)

http://www.isuzu-suvs.com/subaru/pinebarrens.html

Dennis

• brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    I am very pleased with my '02 OBS. At first I admit I was a little disappointed with throttle response, but that may have been due to driver incompetence/babying for the break-in.

Now I think although it's not "fast", it is rather peppy (especially when I shift correctly)and it's always a pleasure to drive. (I've neither driven a TS nor an auto 2002 Impreza however)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    pearlbluesoul: I say learn to drive stick! Then the OBS would be the in-betweener you seek.

Engines in the TS and OBS are the same, but is the final drive ratio the same?

In the Outback vs. Legacy L, it's not. The Outback gets a shorter 4.11 ratio, though the GT also gets it.

Not sure if it's the same with the 2002 Impreza line up.

-juice
  • celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    My 16 year old takes Auto Tech courses at the vo-tech half-days. Today I'm taking him to class and he notices a friend from class with a new Focus coming up beside me at the red light. No one is in front of us. His friend looks over and we look and we're all laughing. He has 3 passengers, I have one. I also learn he has an automatic (so do I). I shift down into 1st. Light changes. By the time I shift into second he's waaaaay back there. Barely reached the speed limit before the event was over.

When I dropped my son off I said, "Tell your friend thanks for lettin' your mom smoke him at that red light." LOL.... :)
    LOL!
    Subymamma vs. the not-so-Fast & Furious.

Dennis
    LOL. I hope his little ego can handle it!

Focii aren't very powerful (130hp) but they are supposedly kind of fun to drive.

-juice
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    LOL! Too kewl too kewl.
  • pearlbluesoulpearlbluesoul Member Posts: 30
    Thanks to everyone here for the advice provided re: the 02 TS Wagon and the 02 OBS. If I can find an OBS at a dealership I will test drive one. But these cars are rare! I've only ever seen one in my city.

Subaru certainly does offer a lot of choice of vehicles in this "size". I can see myself buing the OBS, the RS sedan, the WRX sedan, or even the Forester. I'm not sure whether having so many to choose from is a good thing or a bad thing!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802

Just a reminder that the Subaru chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). We look forward to seeing you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/subaruchat.html

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

blue: Ok, now toss out all the research, and drive each one of them. Pick the one that leaves you with the widest smile.

Seriously.

-juice
    Juice: You got that right, man. It's all in the driving.

Brekke: Where are you girl? Did you get the hang of that clutch? Smoked anyone yet?

Ramon: How's the wedding plans going? Got the date set? Don't forget to get rid of that ugly chair, now!

By the way I was running 35 psi in front and rear tires. Wasn't happy at all with the tires and felt I should be getting better handling around hard corners. Well, decided to try the inflation recommendations on the door frame!

Problem fixed! Cornering is heaven now! What a difference tire pressure makes!! These tires aren't that bad now, I can take this till I wear them down till I get new ones....

By the way, that kid told my kid he was going to try to bring his mom's Mustang the next day. Didn't happen... LOL :)

They do continuing education for Subaru techs at that school my son goes to and he saw some mechanics from the place in Tampa we bought my car, and from Orlando at the Subaru place close by us.
  • brettski314brettski314 Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I noticed the other day that all four of my tires were at 32 psi (at least the front ones were correct). I wonder why they do that.
    I guess I am sort of used to the clutch, but still room for improvement. The other day I was parked on a hill and well, it was a very amateurish pulling out.

I brought my car in for its first oil change. I was hoping for a Forester loaner, got a Neon. Sob. I will never complain about my Subie again.

Hee. I forgot to pick up the change everyone threw on my floor. I wonder if it will be there when I get it back.
  • cori505cori505 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, with only 16,800 miles on it. The other day as I was returning from a long trip the "Check Engine" light came on. I checked the manual and it said that this can occur if the gas cap has not been put back on securely after getting gas. I had gotten gas that morning and when I checked the cap after reading this, I realized I hadn’t tightened it until I heard the "click" sound. I did tighten it and heard the "click" but the "Check Engine" is still on. The manual said it may take a few driving tips before it goes off. I’ve driven a couple more times since then and I’m still waiting for it to go off. Should I wait a little longer or have a mechanic check it now? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
    Don't worry. My CEL went on twice.

The first time it didn't come back on as I was starting my fifth trip after tightening the gas cap, the second time it didn't come back on as I was starting my fourth trip after tightening the gas cap.

anyone: my coworker scolded me for getting an oil change at 1500 miles. He said I should be following the manual with changes at 7500 miles. Am I wasting my money with 3000 mile oil changes? I'm sure this has been debated somewhere, guess I'll check iclub.
  • brettski314brettski314 Member Posts: 5
    I found this while digging around on Subaru's web site, not sure if it's really a solution:

http://www.subaru.com/adventure/care/carcaretips/middle_alert.html

They say to turn the gas cap until you hear three clicks. That should prevent any CEL problems.

• aajoslinaajoslin Member Posts: 15
    After quietly lurking around here for a couple of weeks, I finally did it... I convinced the wife that it wasn't a "Station Wagon" but a "Sport Wagon". She was dead set on an SUV, and I had always admired the Subaru Wagons. I drove a '80 Corolla Wagon into the ground, and really missed the extra cargo space when I sold it to a neighbor for $100. It was a good first car for me... It was a good first car for my neighbors kid. Anyway, my wife couldn't get passed the Land-Barge woody station wagon image, Until I brought her to look at the 2002 Impreza Outback Sport. We were suprised to see that there was MORE passenger room in the OBS then in the Xterra (the next runner-up). Then she drove it... slam dunk! and for $5k less then a comperably equipped Xterra (4wd). Bonus gas mileage, and awesome handling. Maybe I'm still drunk with excitement, but I Love this thing.

Thanks for the advice and opinions... they have been very encouraging
    welcome sir into the cult car status with your OBS. In terms of handling, the OBS will open a can of whoop [non-permissible content removed] on the Xterra anytime! Now, ur wife might end up wrestling the car off you to drive! So cosnider yourself forewarned. ;)

celeste : the date is set on June 8th 2002. And my lazy boy chair stays! Already booked our home church and the reception venue... now looking for some bridal packages, wedding bands etc. What does the guy get out of all these?! =(
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    If you think the OBS will out gun the xterra just think what the WRX wagon does!
    Christine - If your check engine light is still on, you can reset it by disconnecting the battery (black negative terminal) for 30 min. The only downside to this is if there is any kind of problem code stored in the computer (for a tech to see), it will be erased. If it's definately the gas cap, no worries then.

Caroline - people say that it's best to remove the metal shavings from the engine breaking in at a 1500 mile oil change. The manual doesn't talk about an oil change before 3,750 IIRC. Peace of mind I suppose. The manual calls for 3,750 oil changes for severe driving (frequent stop and go, frequent short trips, etc.) and 7500 for "normal" driving.

Andy - Congrats! One of the best things about the OBS over the Xterra is full time All Wheel Drive. Try driving an Xterra in 4WD in the rain and the tires and drivetrain will scream in protest.

Dennis
    Dennis: I couldn't find a definitive answer on whether to follow the owner's manual or do 3000 mile changes(what I've been doing). I noticed my dealer put 3000 miles on the next oil change sticker. I guess 3750 should be ok. Sometimes it is hard to separate misinformation from the good stuff.

Check Engine Lights: My dealer pulled the codes for my CELs and apparently my solenoid valve needs replacing. (I don't know what that is or if there is more than one) So if your CEL goes on although your gas cap is securely fastened, checking in with the dealer is a good idea (even if the CEL shuts off).
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The solenoid valve is the EGR valve. I had the same problem on my Trooper recently. The CEL told the dealer which part was broken.

-mike
    Caroline - be careful about your future services. A lot of dealers love add-ons. When you take your car in, tell them what you want (whatever's in the manual).

The manual may call for oil change and tire rotation at 7500 miles. Most dealers have their own maintenance schedules and add 3 or 4 more things than the manual states (more on the major service). You could end up paying 2-3 times more than you need to. It's happened to me before. Instead of saying "oil change" I said "18,000 mile service" (or whatever it was). I expected to pay $24 but ended up paying $75! I complained to the service manager the next day and he gave me 2 free oil changes. I do my own oil changes now and go to another dealer for major service.

Dennis
    Ramon: "welcome sir into the clut car status" yuk, yuk, lol :)

How's that RS? Get any new stuff put on? Just for your information all that fluffy stuff about weddings is for the bride and her mom and friends. You just nod, smile, and say something like, "That would be perfect." UNLESS they're talking about, like, painting your car to match the wedding decorations or something!

Brekke: I don't care what anyone says, I'll get my oil changed about every 3000 miles. Tell your coworker to mind his own business and that's how your grandfather lived to be 125!! It never hurts to change your oil unless you're waiting too long. What kind are you using? I'll probably use the Castrol GTX until I decide if I want to go to synthetic. Now, if I switch to that I'll probably go 5000 between changes and wait till I hit 10,000 miles to switch. I have a friend with a garage and I bring him a filter and my oil and he changes it for nothing. And by 3000 miles I think the oil is looking kind of dirty. Anyway, you're very smart and informed. You'll do the right thing. He's right, beware of those dealers. Get an honest mechanic if you can to change your oil and if you have to, get your own filters and oil to take.
    My dad has over 190,000 miles on his GMC pick-up that he tows with and has always used GTX. Never had any engine problems. :-)

Dennis
    I didn't say "clut car"... or did I?

celeste : Nothing is being put on my Impy. Just sold my old shocks and springs. Just cleaning the car same ol same ol.... I gota recommend Meguiar's Gold Medallion Wax if you want absolute best for your car! This thing rocks! I've used many different type of wax before and this one just plain stomps on all of them! Even the Meguiar's Gold class is no match for this grand pubah of wax products! It's been many months now and I've driven the car all over and yet this paint is still smooth like new!
    Yeah you're right celeste about the wedding prep. So far I've been purtty much being the Yes man. It's ok cus less headache or choices for me to make. I've already made the biggest choice in my life which is to marry this girl. Yup.
  • cori505cori505 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to everyone for their advice about my CE light. It's still on, but I spoke to the service dept. at the dealership and they said if I'm not having any other noticeable problems (which I'm not), the computer probably just needs to be re-set. I plan to take it to the dealer next week just to be sure. Meanwhile, I love this car! Thanks again.
    Unfortunately, the the WRX is not really a cult car. The pre-2002 2.5RS was a cult car, the WRX is just a band wagon car. Too many young punks who are buying them just to have a pocket rocket out there. 2.5RS owners used to totally bond no matter what, and always were a nice crowd. Now you get a lot of cocky SOBs who are like "yeah I have a WRX, it's fast, what POS do you drive?" "Oh its the crappy 2.5RS, sux to be you man"

-mike
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Having owned my WRX since March, I can assure you that it's a cult car as much as the older 2.5rs or more so. I am constantly exchanging the thumbs up sign to other drivers of WRX's and, yes, older 2.5rs' too. This coming from the land of Soobs, the Pacific Northwest. Perhaps the difference is that you are narrowing the definition of a cult car whereas I see it more as the New Beetle phenomenon. The owners of these cars would say there's is a cult car too.

You're right on about a lot of young-ins' (ok, punks) getting the WRX just because and not really knowing a thing about the Soob advantages. This is one by-product of cult cars though.

Stephen
    I think it's just a different crowd is all. Heading more down the H-A road. Not that *all* WRX owner's are punky kids, just that it's drawing them in more and dilluting the pool of good subie owners. I also don't see the "new" beetle as a cult car, that's just a marketing genius at work along with a bunch of sheep :)

-mike
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    After reading the posts as to which is the cult car the rs or wrx I am kind of confused as to which I am. You see my wife has a '98 rs and I have a 2002 wrx wagon. Also (heh heh) is it possible for both of us to be punks at age 49?

TWRX
    My bad, man...

Hey is that Meguiar's wax a solid in a can? Up till now I've used that Gold Class liquid. I've had some stubborn swirl marks and guess the next step is try a polish before I wax. Darn those things!
    it's in a bottle type thing. Not even sure how you can get hold of that Medallion. I got it as a gift. My parents bought it from a Meguiar's sales rep.
    anyways... dark coloured cars show blemishes quite easily. I gave up now. For some reason, the pain is not as bad as compared to my old OBS. That's prolly because that was my first car that i bought.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Then I must be going through adolescence again @ a "young" 39! BTW, I have a WRX wagon too!

Stephen
  • chill105chill105 Member Posts: 13
    Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that my OBS is doing great. I recently ordered one of the GanzFlow cold air intakes, and installed it earlier today. Installation was pretty simple. I installed it without replacing the stock filter with an AMSOIL, because it hasn't come in the mail yet. I'll be sure to put that in as well when it arrives.

I can definitely feel a speed/power difference in my car. The engine seems to behave a bit nicer (more power) in the lower-rpm range, and really flies above 3,500 rpm's.

I really like the sound it makes too. It's a little deeper and louder than the car was before. It's hard to describe, but it sounds "smooth." (you can only here it while accelerating- especially above 3,500 rpm's).

You can get one at www.imprezars.com if you're interested. I would highly recommend it for an inexpensive performance increase.
    Congratulations! I love my Ganz flow and even though I'm told it takes an exhaust upgrade also to get double digit horsepower gain, I can swear that Ganz flow makes the car feel like a little tiger. Have you tried taking off hard at full throttle without the A/C running? It's even awesome with the A/C but without, WOW! And I have an automatic! The sound is amazing when you floor the accelerator. Wait till you get the Amsoil put on, too. You will definitely be pleased.

By the way, my husband got some thin fiberglass strips that you would insulate pipes with and wrapped my Ganzflow tube with that, then covered it with that silver aluminum tape they call "smack tape", it's used for A/C applications. Anyway, it made sense to insulate that aluminum tube from the heat under the hood of the car since it is a COLD air intake....
  • chill105chill105 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah- I love that sound so much!

I just installed the intake, so I haven't had much time to mess around with anything (especially with school starting- my teachers are homework-crazy this first week it seems). I still need to cover the other large hole in the inner fender, and I plan to insulate the tube, it's a good idea.

Just wondering, has your dealer given you any problems with it, or do you swap it out for the stock intake before you bring it in?
  • clearmoon64clearmoon64 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2002 OBS and would appreciate it if someone would answer some basic questions I have. I've been reading some of these posts and would like to know about the air flow. If I installed a cold air intake would I be sacrificing my air conditioning? I'm also considering tinting the windows, but I'm more curious about the cold air intake. Also, how much of a difference does it make? Its not like I can drive one with an air take already installed to test out the difference.

Thanks a lot. :)
    has zero to do with your Airconditions (it just pulls in cooler air from outside the engine compartment instead of warmer air from in it for the engine to ingest)

-mike
    Yep, it's the pulleys that sacrifice your A/C at idle. I live in a hot climate and have a Ganzflow intake. It boosts your power a little at wide-open throttle and kicks in especially well on an interstate when you need to pass.
    that's why i like my GC8 Impreza. I get to open up the hood vents in summer days and let heat get out from there. nanner nanner nanner! =)
  • ak47thak47th Member Posts: 5
    hey all--great board. i've had my obs for almost 5 months now and it's running great. i really put my 4 cylinders to the test in hot'lanta. getting a ganz flow when the weather cools. also looking to get a rear spoiler (black). Does anyone know where to find a deal on one (celeste, i'm sure you know :-) i'm also looking to tint out, so if anyone can offer some advice, it would help out a lot as well. o yea, have you guys seen the accessories you can get at www.subaru.co.uk (some pretty redic chrome packages--has anyone seen this on a car?)
    I suppose you have a black OBS? Love that color especially with dark tint. I don't think Georgia law lets you tint as darkly as Florida. You may have to deal with this. In Florida they don't enforce the minimal law they have so ALL mine are dark (not limo tint, but probably the next up from that). Solar Guard is good tint. I know there are others, too--just go to a reputable place and I'm sure they use good stuff. You could ask for referrals from a dealership that sells high end cars like BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc., also.

I bought my car not at my local dealer but in Tampa, about 1-1/2 hrs. drive from here, and he was offering the rear spoiler for around $460. In this case decide how far you'd want to drive for it still to be a deal and try to check online at different dealers. Be sure you know if the price includes installation and that it will also include having it painted to match your car.

Ramon: C'mon, your summer days never get hot enough to even worry about heat under your hood, do they? Man, down here it gets hotter n' the hinges of hell!!
    Make sure it's a PIO, not a DIO. In other words, make sure that the Port installs the spoiler rather than the dealer who probably subcontracts it to the local Joey Buttofuco Body Shop.

-mike
    Good point! Joey Buttofuco (what a name, eh?)... he he he he :)
    Congrats, Andy. I just saw a white one and thought to myself how nice it looked.

-juice
  • francisgafrancisga Member Posts: 6
    Between the Outback Sport and the Impreza 2.5TS Sport Wagon (both 2002)?

Here's what I can see: (OB S ; 2.5 TS SW)
    Turning circle: 35.4 ; 33.5
    Wheels: Alum. Alloy ; Steel(?)
    Tires: 205/55R16 ; 195/60R15
    Width: 67.3 ; 66.7
    Height: 60.2 ; 58.5
    Track(front): 57.5 ; 57.7
    Clearance: 6.3 ; 5.9
    Curb Weight: 3050 ; 3045
    Roof Rack: std ; opt
    Fog lamps: std ; opt
    Rear power outlet: yes ; n/a
    MSRP: 18,695 ; 17,495 (-1200)

For comparable equipment on the 2.5TS:
    fog lamps + 15" alloy wheels= +863

Also, where the Outback has a silver metallic color, the 2.5TS has Blue Ridge Pearl.

Are there any other differences? Cosmetic, perhaps, or suspension tuning? Differences in demand or dealer invoice?

Now, I already own a '01 Forester S, and I'm not about to buy another car, but this question has been nagging me for a while. If there's one thing Subaru has in its lineup, it's a LOT of overlap (and if there's two, it's the amazing multiplying Outbacks...)

It seems to me that the Outback is a slightly better deal with those 16" wheels (and higher clearence).
    OK, the OBS is a grand luxe version if you would call it that, of the TS. It has cruise control, map lights in the front, as you said, bigger wheels; I'm not sure if the TS has wheels or wheel covers, but they are smaller. If you search back thru these messages the last several months you'll find information as alot on this topic has come up before. For me, I gotta have the cruise control.

I thought someone said the suspension was different. You may find out about this if you search back.
    if you're lurking around, girl, check in and let us know you're OK. It just dawned on me that you live up New York way. Let us know you're still there....
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Other than what's been mentioned:

• The TS does have 15" steel wheels with wheel covers, whereas the OBS has 16" wheels and higher-performance, lower-profile tires.

• The OBS has a step pad on the rear bumper and a rubber cargo mat—very nice to have if you have a dog to transport...

• The OBS is the only Impreza to have an outside temperature display on the instrument panel. That's feature I really like.

• The OBS has a slightly raised heavy-duty suspension.

I think the OBS is a very nice and complete package, whereas the the TS, while still nice, is lacking features I would want.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.