Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Well, I got the AMSOIL filter in the mail and installed it. It was a bit messy, but not too difficult. There's not too much of a difference, but I can feel it a little bit. The filter seems a lot nicer than the stock one though.

After driving my friends around a little bit, they all think that the GanzFlow makes the coolest sound ever. When you're inside of the car while accelerating quickly, it makes the car sound (and feel) like a #!@*$?* monster. It's really awesome. I also like how it only makes the sound when I accelerate fast. I really dislike those stupid people that buy special exhausts that just make their car sound cool.
  • Robert: Good assesment. I agree that the OBS is a pretty nice package for the price.

Zach: I agree with you also about the Ganzflow and the sound at wide open throttle. It makes you feel baaaad when that thing starts to growl... WAAAAAAaaaaahhhhh......
  • Still waiting, check in girl, let us know you're there and OK... come in Brekke...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    We did an off-road run this weekend and Dennis took his Outback Sport along. It was mostly unimproved roads, which meant loose sand. We had quite a hoot driving about 15 miles in the AM, another 7 miles or so in the PM.

I'll try to get photos up today. I should have some of the OBS because I was right behind him and took some photos of the trails.

AWD rocks!

-juice

PS The narrow Outback Sport actually carried an advantage over the wider vehicles that were scratching up against tree branches and such.
    Here is the whole Pine Barrens album.

Photo #13 shows Dennis in his Outback Sport, which was awesome in the sand. The non-SUVs actually ran at a quicker pace on the easier trails, rally-style.

His more narrow cabin and light weight were advantages, and his is the 2.2l.

The Forester was able to shine in the water crossing (#16) and in deeper ruts (#32).

Be sure to check them out.

-juice
  • My friend Andy has a nice mazda- I don't know what model it is, but it's an automatic, four seater with leather seats and it's pretty quick. One of their higher-line vehicles. Him and I have been egging each other on for a while as to who would win in a race. Not a straight-away drag type of race, but a race from one place to another in the suburbs, choosing any route you want to take. Well, we finally did it on Saturday this weekend. We were at his house, and decided to race to my house, which is normally about a 10 minute drive.

The Rules:
    1.No running reds
    2.Don't kill anyone
    3.Try not to flip your car or run into anything
    4.All other rules of common sense apply

It was actually incredibly scary, because it was about 9:00 at night, and there were still a bunch of cars on the road and people walking around and getting into and out of parked cars on the side of the street. Before I say any more, I just want you to know that Andy is a pretty crazy kid, so I was worried to get too close to his car in fear that he'd cut me off (or someone else around us) or try anything too stupid.

We were really flying around curves, weaving in and out of other cars, and I was afraid we'd either hit another car or a cop would see us and pull us over. Fortunately, neither of those things happened.

Bottom line is I whooped his pathetic Mazda butt. If it weren't for a red light I got stuck at, I would have beat him by over a minute (it ended up fairly close, cause he caught me while I was waiting at the red). Shifting through those gears with the throttle wide open felt sooo good. After the race, he said to me "man, your car takes turns like the road's still straight." I laughed. I was killing him on those curves. I love my Suby. After Andy admitted defeat, we both vowed not to race again for at least a couple months, because it's waaaay too dangerous (and very foolish).

By the way, we made the 10 minute drive in under 5. That's including the time we were stopped at reds. It was craaaazy.
    Watch out for those pesky pedestrians that get in the way! ;-)

Seriously, why not enroll in auto cross to get it out of your system? Or better yet, rally cross to push the AWD to its full extent.

-juice
  • My friend Andy has a nice mazda- I don't know what model it is, but it's an automatic, four seater with leather seats and it's pretty quick. One of their higher-line vehicles. Him and I have been egging each other on for a while as to who would win in a race. Not a straight-away drag type of race, but a race from one place to another in the suburbs, choosing any route you want to take. Well, we finally did it on Saturday this weekend. We were at his house, and decided to race to my house, which is normally about a 10 minute drive.

The Rules:
    1.No running reds
    2.Don't kill anyone
    3.Try not to flip your car or run into anything
    4.All other rules of common sense apply

It was actually incredibly scary, because it was about 9:00 at night, and there were still a bunch of cars on the road and people walking around and getting into and out of parked cars on the side of the street. Before I say any more, I just want you to know that Andy is a pretty crazy kid, so I was worried to get too close to his car in fear that he'd cut me off (or someone else around us) or try anything too stupid.

We were really flying around curves, weaving in and out of other cars, and I was afraid we'd either hit another car or a cop would see us and pull us over. Fortunately, neither of those things happened.

Bottom line is I whooped his pathetic Mazda butt. If it weren't for a red light I got stuck at, I would have beat him by over a minute (it ended up fairly close, cause he caught me while I was waiting at the red). Shifting through those gears with the throttle wide open felt sooo good. After the race, he said to me "man, your car takes turns like the road's still straight." I laughed. I was killing him on those curves. I love my Suby. After Andy admitted defeat, we both vowed not to race again for at least a couple months, because it's waaaay too dangerous (and very foolish).

By the way, we made the 10 minute drive in under 5. That's including the time we were stopped at reds. It was craaaazy.
  • didn't mean to post that twice. my bad.
  • Juice: I saw that #16 pic. How deep was that water? Did you just go at a very slow pace or? Cooool photos. Anyone get stuck?? My husband went out with a friend in the Everglades about 20 years ago, they were going to go into the swamps and shoot their guns--and promptly got stuck. Well, Fred had some kind of SUV thing, whatever they made in the early 80's, can't remember, and had to hike in to civilizatation and get someone with a winch to come pull them out. They got home that night at 3:00 a.m. and did they ever catch hell from us wives!!! Now it's funny, though.

chill: Dang, dude, take a chill pill. If it was scary, it was risky. AWD is not invincible and lots of folks have rolled their cars and wrecked them because they get over-confident. I'm with Juice--get info about autocross, you'd really have a chance to push your car and stay safe.

Brekke---come on, girl, still waiting, and now I'm starting to worry why you're not responding. Let us know please, drop a line....
    Celeste: the water was probably about two feet deep or so. Maybe a little more in the middle.

It was enough to make an XT6 stall, though he went over it faster than anyone. He got water sucked into his intake - it was a mess. We pulled the spark plugs, cranked the engine, and it spit out water!

Once it dried up we reinstalled the plugs and she actually started up. The exhaust had plenty of H2O, but it ran! Did you see the photo of us bailing water out of his interior? It was soaked!

He went the fastest, by far. I crossed next, slowly, though everyone was calling me a wimp. We came around to that spot later in the PM, and I had to redeem myself, so I crossed at a quicker speed. Still nothing crazy like the XT6 - I wanted to get home without a tune-up, thanks!

The RS crossed slowly, but a BRAT crossed with a big splash. It was pretty wild.

The XT6 got stuck in the water, and another time in some really deep sand. He got sideways and almost slid right off the trail!

The BRAT got stuck in a couple of mud pits, but he redeemed himself and got across later on. I was really impressed with that little BRAT.

Even the big Monty with mud tires got stuck a couple of times. The Isuzu Troopers did a good job towing people out of trouble.

I have to say, the Isuzu boys were cool. They never looked down on AWD (vs. 4WD) and made us feel welcome on the trails.

The BRAT, the old hatchback, and the RS drove ahead of us many times, and at a faster pace. They were having fun rallying, sort of.

-juice
  • That sounds sooo cool. So, the water was up to your lower door frame--any water get in, at all? We had that tropical storm blow thru last week and one road had pretty deep water, and I almost was tempted to hit it hard, but thought better of it and took it easy.
    No water in the interior. Of course I spent about 1 second over water - and splashed right through. I had water on the hood and roof, but not inside, fortunately.

The XT6 stalled while still in the water, so it had time to seep in. Plenty of time.

Does the OBS have a bottom cover for the engine like the Forester and Outback? My concern would be to keep the intake dry.

Bottom line was the Outback Sport in our group kept up with the best of them.

-juice
  • Boy, I don't know, I'd have to look. I do know with my Ganzflow it sucks air thru that space in the front body fender. Seems it would have to be waaay up the tires to get in there. I'll have to look tomorrow when it's daylight to see if there a bottom cover for the engine.

So, you just sloshed right thru? Interesting.

We just looked thru all the photos. Looks like alot of fun. And it appears you did do more driving than digging!!
  • E-mailed you too and no response. Hope you're OK. Check in with us, and send us a signal.
    The problem with the water is that is splashes up. If your air filter is open, then it's succeptible to water and you could have a problem. The cover under the engine keeps water out. An intake opening well hidden means water could not find it's way in, too.

On the last trip an Isuzu Trooper sucked water into the intake, stalled, and bent a piston rod (water doesn't compress like air). So it's not just ground clearance. An RS made it across fine, though he went slowly and didn't make such a splash.

-juice
  • brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    Hey I'm OK! I was down south last week, safe and sound. Coming home the Exploder broke down on the PA turnpike. D'oh!

Us: where are we?

Towing Guy: Yer in Somerset County, PA!

Me: Somerset, hmm, somerset, hmm, why is that so familiar?

TG: Plane crash! Good luck getting a room or a car rental!

ME: D'oh! Say, is there any type of car you tow more than others?

TG: We tow a lot of Fords!
    Sometimes after shifting I hear one "click" coming from the back (rear diffy?) Is this normal, or a sign of bad shifting?

THat ganzflow sounds more and more tempting...But I want to upgrade the rear sway bar first.

I did *not* like being a passenger for 11 days! (But being a pedestrian was worse. Hee.)
    Click after shift? While in motion? 5 speed or auto? Do you have a rear LSD?

Some drivetrain whine is to be expected, but a click? Hmm.

-juice
    no LSD, 2002 obs 5-sp, in motion. I don't hear it all the time, seems to be in lower gears 1-2, 2-3, etc.

Just one short click-type sound, immediately after shifting as I'm letting up the clutch, possibly only when first starting out or after turning on the ignition. At first I mistook it for my tires running over small road debris. It sounds like it's coming from the rear center of the car.

I will mention it to my dealer.
    The 5 speed has the center VC, but it shouldn't click. The open rear diffy won't engage like the LSD would. I'd ask them to check all the fluid levels, just to make sure it's OK.

-juice
    Some i-clubbers complained of a loud "clunk" during hard shifting. The general opinion was the rear diff twisting its bushings and to shift smoother. My click isn't that loud and I haven't been shifting hard, but maybe that's it.
    Maybe it's clutch chatter. The pressure plate isn't the stiffest in the world, and unless you are Joe Cool with the smoothness you notice a little clatter, at least in low gears.

-juice
  • I'm looking at a 1999 Impreza OBS w/automatic.
    I would like to be able to tow a small (under 1500lbs total wt) pop up camper. Any experience with this would be appreciated.
    I've towed about a 1500 lb load with my Forester, but I have the 2.5l engine, not the 2.2l in the earlier OBS. It did fine, no drama, just had to slip the clutch a little. An auto would actually be better suited to the task.

That's about the limit I would recommend. Just keep the camper empty, and put the gear inside the vehicle, evenly spread out. Keep in mind braking distances are longer, too.

-juice
  • Anyone installed one? I'm wondering what the options are. What companies sell them (if any)?

I know there is some issue with airbags mis-firing (recall in the past earlier model year... bumping the tow hooks fires the airbag) so maybe this is not an option...

Anyone...
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I think ECB makes brush guards for subies. I'll e-mail them and see if they have something for the new impreza line. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com/ecb for details. The way that airbags work nowdays is that they aren't bumper mounted anymore. All ECB stuff is air-bag compliant. Also drop me an e-mail directly and I'll get you info.

-mike

mike@iace.com

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,675
    is less than other Subarus. I think the 1500 pound limit is if the trailer has brakes. I'm almost certain if the trailer doesn't have brakes, the limit is around 750 pounds.

Check you owner's manual. I'm sure that info's in there.

Bob
  • is this the "click" someone described as like a b.b. hitting the bottom of a pan? I never did hear if he found out anything. Maybe try a post at the i-club, you'll find more people there and maybe come up with something, besides there is one or two Subie mechanics there, I think. One is named Alan and he's here in Winter Park. You could look at his member profile and e-mail him. He may list his address in Orlando because I think he actually lives in Orlando although he works in Winter Park. Maybe in the member list you can find him thru the city name and state. He's pretty good from what I hear.

I just looked him up. His user name on the club is Alan Rod. Not sure if it's his real name. He's a British Subie mechanic, very nice chap, works at the Subie dealership near me.
    I don't mean to be a pain about the click, I assumed it was normal AWD stuff. Sometimes it sounds like a pebble hitting the car in the back, or that I've run over a styrofoam cup. There's no resonance, as i imagine a bb dropped into a pan would have. Maybe this is a job for Colin! I know he doesn't hang out here.
This discussion has been closed.