Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• boga228boga228 Posts: 50
    There is a setting for the automatic volume control on the radio. if you have the manual it will tell you how to disable it. as for the shocking lot of times it depends on the weather like dry area.
  • ang6ang6 Posts: 1
    I found out that there is a volume control that can be set to either go louder when you excelerate on the gas pedal and lowers when you slow down. It's the buttons that are under the CD area I fooled around with them and found that out.
    angel05
  • tiny_bambitiny_bambi Posts: 14
    Hmmmm, I,m going to see if I have those lil buttons below my cd player when my daughter gets home (She has the van). I have never heard of this. I wonder why they would even have this as an optional thing. You can mute the stereo using the controls on the steering wheel (At least in my van 1998 Pontiac Trans Sport) but whats the point of that being controlled by using the gas pedal?
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,269
    Its called SCV (speed compensated volume). The idea is to keep the percieved volume of audio system the same regardless of wind and road noise (the faster you go the louder these things get) so you don't have to actually turn up the volume when other stuff gets noisier.
  • pgsggpgsgg Posts: 4
    Your advice was most helpfull thank you tiny bambi,boga228,ang6 you most likely saved me some money. I was thinking it was an electrical issue would have taken it to mechanic$$$$ my mechanic dosent thank you but i do lol..........
  • headachheadach Posts: 17
    could be a throttle postion sensor . my 93 trans sport did something similar only when i came to a stop it would rev the engine
  • tammiejtammiej Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Pontiac Montana Minivan and the electric side door works but it wont stay shut as soon you think its shut it opens right back up. HELP!
    Did you do the recall? They recalled these vans for that reason. Call your local dealership and you should be able to get it fixed at no cost to you. I have a 1998 Pontiac Trans sport and it still does the same thing. I took it for the recall a long time ago but they wanted for me to come back because they did not have the parts. I just keep the powerdoor button in the off position and don't use it at all. I went shopping one day and closed the door with the remote and when I came back out the door was wide open. Yikes!!!! That was before I realized that it was faulty. Oh and the doors are also known to open when your on the road although that never happened to me. You can look up the reacall notice online as well if not here.
    Oh and also I cleaned the metal contacts and that helped but it was not a fix.
  • jakiemjakiem Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 and the message center indicates that the "AWD has been disabled". The dealer says it needs a sensor and will cost over $500.00. Is this reasonable. I have no idea what something like that should cost.
    The sensor that usually gets replaced for this problem is an integral part of wheel bearing/hub assembly (in other words its part of the hub and can't be replaced as seperate item). Many times the problem is really woth the connection to the sensor (corrosion/broken wire). You may want to have them check that first.
  • crash65crash65 Posts: 4
    I have a 99 montana about 135000 miles on it. I have recently had to replace the fuel pump which was a chore in and of its self. Anywho since changing the fuel pump I have had some problems with it acting like it is misfiring while I am driving it, and it dos not make a difference if I give it the gas or not it still acts the same. It also acts like the transmission is kicking in and out when I go around corners at a pretty good pace. I used a code scanner on it and it tells me that the torque converter solenoid circut is stuck on as well as EVAP EMISSION SYSTEM pressure Sensor/switch low input. EVAP EMISSION System Vent Control Circut intermittent. Any ideas on what the problem (s) could be. Thanks in advance for all the help. PLEASE HELP? :sick:
    The usual cause for the evap emmision thing is loose/misaligned fuel cap, otherwise is it likely a leak somewhere in system or other problem.
  • also make sure to check your plugs/wires. all the ones ive worked on always have some chewed up wires or burnt up plugs for some reason.

the last one i delt with was a 99 and it ended up hardly running at all. it would have a really crappy idle and such. anyway, it ended up being the camshafts had actually twisted...come to find out, pontiac uses hallow camshafts for better weight i guess...so keep your eye on your idle as well.

hope this helps someone.
  • also make sure to check your plugs/wires. all the ones ive worked on always have some chewed up wires or burnt up plugs for some reason.

the last one i delt with was a 99 and it ended up hardly running at all. it would have a really crappy idle and such. anyway, it ended up being the camshafts had actually twisted...come to find out, pontiac uses hallow camshafts for better weight i guess...so keep your eye on your idle as well.

hope this helps someone.
  • akashmerakashmer Posts: 12
    Make another copy and tape the good key under the dash next to the ignition. the ignition will read the electronic code and the spare key will start the car.

or go to the stealership and get one programed/ made for $75.
  • crash65crash65 Posts: 4
    If you have one of the org keys look on it and see if it has pk3 stamped on it. if it does then you need to go to a locksmith and have one of the same type cut, then you can program it your self by simply starting the car with the org key and let it run for 30 seconds then turn it off and restart it with the new key let it run for 30 seconds and then do it again and that should have it programed if that dont work call a dealership in your area and ask for the service dept and tell them what you have done and then ask if you did it the rigth way or not as someone else told this and they will most likely tell you the proper way if what I have told you is wrong. best of luck.
    Did you guys forget to the the security codes before disconnecting the battery?
    The auto door is draining the battery, disconnect the fuse that runs it and see if the drain stops. Also after each drain make sure the battery is fully charged by a plug in batter charger
  • samtechsamtech Posts: 1
    :surprise: I found a solution for the keyfob not working....It didn't make sense, But it worked for me........Replace the 10amp Radio fuse (Located under the hood, it will test good, but replace it anyways)......It must supply voltage to the keyless system receiver.
  • 2001 Pontiac Montana, just finished put in new intake gaskets. The car starts fine runs well but after the motor reaches temps, I get a ugly miss when accerating hard. I have check connectors to spark module, fuel pump runs fine, new fuel filter but it still acts up. This miss is a complet engine stutter. What is it?
  • And I forgot to mention no codes locked in>>>>>>
  • If you have done all that work to it and it still has a massive miss to it then I have to say it is most likly that catalitic converter is plugged up or restricted.
  • armesarmes Posts: 32
    I had a 1990 Transport with 3.1 and 3 spd tranny. I had over 300.000 miles on it when I bought my 2002 Montana. I currently have 197,235 miles on the 02 and still don't use a 1/4 quart of oil between changes. No tranny problems with either one. I use all systhetic lubricants and the best grade of filters.

I don't recommend Chrysler products even if they look great and have alot of bells and whistles. They have to look good as they sit alot in transmission shop parking lots. My daughter had one and my sister in-law bought a brand new one. The new one had 3 new trannies in 9 months. The clutch packs break out of the keepers
    ( aluminum tabs are cast into the tranny to hold the clutch paks ) and then you need to replace the whole tranny case and all as these can't be repaired. Costs from $ 1,300 to 2,000. They rebuild a used tranny that has the same possibilities ahead.

All in all, alot has to be said about how a vehicle has been maintained and you usaully don't get a good history on that unless you have all the records available where the dealer maintained the vehicle. ( I knew one guy that bought a new car and drove it with out even changing the oil and filter. All he did was add oil when it was low. When it went bad, he simply traded it for another.)
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    I had to fix this on my Venture a few years ago: the arms are sticking up when you turn the wipers off because the mechanism has gotten out of phase.

Turn the ignition key to accessory, run the wipers on intermittent, then turn the key off when the wipers pause (which should incorrectly be "up" instead of "down"). Then take the crank arm off the wiper motor, manually set the wipers "down" where they're supposed to be during the pause (don't let the motor turn when you do this), retighten the crank, then turn the wipers on again. That ought to reset them. Put briefly, the governing circumstance is when the wipers are set to intermittent and the wipers are paused between strokes .
    i have a 2004 montana 150.000 km on it . Just started to get cold in our part of canada so we turned on the heat this morning and nothing but cool air came out after driving for a few min it got hot until i stopped at the lights and back to cool air the van is not overheating it blows hot 30 seconds after taken of and when i stop it blows cool air any ideas?
    I think you may have a blocked/ clogged heater core.
    thanks for your reply,do you know if this is something i could change myself is it easy to get to ?
    It's part of the cooling system and is under the dashboard. I checked my Haynes repair manual, it's more involved than I'd want to try. Plus I'm just guessing at the problem, but it sounds like plugged heater core to me.
  • jaringjaring Posts: 1
    Under the wiper arm crank, there is a flat metal spring that mechanically pushes out a little catch. When you shut off the wipers, the motor turns backwards to park. This catch hits a tab which activates the crank mechanism and pulls the wipers down, instead of up. The little spring wears out. You can bend it to fix it but that will last only a couple of months. It is pretty easy to fix.