Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• moosejawmoosejaw Member Posts: 10
    After viewing the link that Orangelebaron posted, I have to say I’m a little disappointed.

When I begun to shop for a new car last spring, the main thing that attracted me to the OBS was its looks. Its not that I thought the Impreza was the nicest looking car out there, but certainly one of the most unique. In my price range all the Hondas looked like Acuras, all the Acuras looked like Saturns, all the Saturns looked liked Toyotas….You get my point. Then I did my research into Subaru and bought the 02 OBS without any reservation. Even spent a little less than I budgeted.

These 2004 models look generic and lifeless. Viewing the picture that is posted for the Sports Wagon 15i or 20S, you could rip the Subaru emblem off the front of it and I’d never be able to tell you who made it. Hell, I might even guess it was a dodge.

What a shame.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Moose you are right, i mean the current impreza line doesn't look anything like a Dodge Neon with the bug-eye lights :)

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, while I agree it is less distinctive, it's the 2002-2003 model that has been compared to a Neon.

Maybe the 2004 looks like a Stratus, but that's not a bad looking car. Most Dodges aren't.

Heck, they look better than the newest Bimmers, like the 7 and the upcoming 6.

-juice
    Lol. Okay, point taken on the Dodge Neon.

I’m not saying the ’04 models are bad looking, I just think they look a little too familiar.

I agree that Dodge makes some pretty nice cars. I’ve always had a soft spot for Dodge since I owned a ’73 Barracuda. It was a bear getting it started on cold mornings; but once it did, it was a good ride....Hmmm, thinking about it now, maybe I have a thing for round headlights....wonder what Freud would say about that.

Juice, I’m not sure what the 6 Series looks like, but however it does....I’m sure it’s not in the budget.
    Yet another hunch back. I prefer Bimmers from 2 generations back. They keep losing character.

You might like the new Hemi in the upcoming Dodge Magnum crossover.

-juice
    Yea, I agree. There’s another car that used to be unquestionably distinctive and not so much anymore. I don’t what it is. Are they rounding the corners on the side panels too much? Or is it that the front ends are getting too pointy?

I read something on the Dodge Magnum not so long ago. It mentioned 400+ horsepower (though I’d doubt that version will be in production) and new technology rear wheel drive. The pictures I’ve seen of it made it look like it had real short windows. Sort of reminded me of a 50’s Chevy style wagon. Very sweet looking if my memory serves me right.
    The concept is nice, but I have a bad feeling the real one won't be as nice :(

Besides I refuse to buy from a German or French company so they are out of the question for me.

-mike
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Too bad they don't sell Alfa Romeo's here. I was in Europe recently. They are so nice! Looked at your website, Paisan...Howard Beach? Where's that Starbucks?

Does anyone know when the new OBS gets here?
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    My friend's Alfa has spent more time in the shop than on the roads.

But yeah when are the 04 OBS, Impreza TS's and Foresters arriving?

- Lou
  • shellioopshellioop Member Posts: 2
    Looking at two wagons.. the Honda is ugly but super reliable (or so it appears) and the Impreza is sexy but has some quirks and gets worse gas mileage. I'm looking in the 1996-1999 range. Any thoughts? Thanks!
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    A Legacy, not an Impreza.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    You're not comparing apples-to-apples.

Accord = Legacy/Outback.

Civic = Impreza/Outback Sport.

Bob
  • shellioopshellioop Member Posts: 2
    I know I'm not comparing apples to apples.. but I guess I should ask instead.. does anyone have an opinion about whether it's worth paying more for the Honda or whether the Impreza is a good bet for the money.. ? The Impreza, which I've test-driven, seems great. Do they have any big problems? (any year) I haven't even driven the Accod Wagon, I'm just doing research and I thought that from-the-owners may be best. Thanks!
    a 96 Impreza Outback (as of MY97, this model is known as the "Outback Sport"), with just over 100K on it, with no problems to speak of. We also have a '01 Forester, with 36K on it; again, no problems.

In addition, I've owned 7 Honda cars (plus 3 Honda motorcycles and a Honda lawnmower) over the years, so I know that product rather well too.

In a nutshell, I prefer the Subarus, mainly because of the AWD. Once you've owned an AWD car, it's doubtful you'll ever want to return to FWD or RWD. That's been my situation. The Hondas may have a lot of features that are tempting, but they don't have AWD. So until Honda starts offering AWD across the board, it's Subaru for me...

Bob
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    late 90s Subaru wagons are the deal of the century, with the AWD.

Plus, any time you can actually locate one of those last Accord wagons Honda made before quitting, it is advertised as "very rare" and has about a $4000 mark-up over what it is really worth.

Bear in mind Impreza is a lot smaller, so your needs may dictate which one you buy, but do not ignore Legacy wagons, which are an absolute bargain, and were all AWD beginning in, what, '99? Memory fails me here, it might have been earlier, but it was right around then that Subaru dropped all its stripper non-AWD models (they were called "Brightons"). Which also leads to another nice thing - all the Subarus come with lots of equipment standard, like power windows and air conditioning.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Actually, Bob, to correct your math:

Accord < Legacy/Outback.

Civic < Impreza/Outback Sport.

:-)

By the way, I contacted Subaru about the rear disc brakes on the OBS, they said the 2003 still had drums. I forget which topic we were discussing that, but they even checked their web site and thought the info was correct, and to let me know where I'd seen otherwise.

1995 was the year that Subaru went to AWD only. The Brigthon's last year was 2000.

-juice
    I've actually not been to Howard Beach :)

I hang in SI/NJ/LI all the time though. :)

I love the alfas too. The new ones are especially nice :)

-mike
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Alpha hasn't sold cars here since the mid-90s. They had too many reliabilty problems, like Peugeot, and became pretty unpopular.
    I specifically remember the Milano being dead last in the JD Power surveys. I'm not sure if the 164 was much better.

-juice
    You&#146;d think with a quasi hit TV show and a string of &#147;1-800- make them pay for the call&#148; commerials, Alyssa Milano would have ranked a lot better than last...Go figure.

Jim
    owns several alfas, never has a problem with any of them. I love the new alfas, a few people in my neighborhood have them I think they are 156s? You know how the guineas are over here, gotta have their alfas :)

-mike
    One of the IT guys here has a 164, after owning a Milano, and he says it much more reliable.

It's sad when Chevy uses an old 164 in a commercial to tout the reliability of their Impala!

-juice
    is the same platform car as the Saab 9000s.

-mike
    Really?

The 156 is a euro model that never made it here. Styling is gorgeous, though, it may be the best looking sedan on the planet.

-juice
    is the ones they are running around my neighborhood with.

-mike
    Yep, Saab 9000 and some Alfa share the same platform. Mike may be right as to which model. I'm just not sure which one.

Bob
  • threesinthreesin Member Posts: 50
    Look what I started.
    What will happen if I say I like Citroens!!!

Anybody know when the new OBS comes out?
  • threesinthreesin Member Posts: 50
    FYI: While waiting for the tech to rid my '02 OBS of its throttle vibration, I asked the sales mgr abt the arrival date of the '04 Imprezas. He says that the dealership (central California) should be getting their allocation in April, and the cars should be on the lot by June, if not before. That would correspond with what I've been told about the arrival date of the new STi.

Threesin
    Be shipping like he said above on sale in June.

-mike
    by the end of March or early April for most Imprezas. The STi will arrive in June, or so I've been told.

This why you're now seeing so many incentives on '03 models. The '04s are just around the corner.

Bob
    In fact, someone in the WRX topic said they already stopped taking orders for the 2003s. So they are wrapping up production of those on the assembly line.

It might be sooner, maybe end of March/early April. They do have to ship them across the Pacific.

-juice
    I heard scuttlebutt that 2004 Imprezas are on the water already...
    There you go, then end of March is realistic.

-juice
    ...my recollections were off...I thought when I bought my '97 there were still non-AWD Subies for sale...and I don't know why I thought there were always non-AWD Brighton models available.

I was kind of glad when they got rid of Brightons - they kind of cheapened a really nice product, and the 'L' trim level was always very competitively priced, with a nice level of standard features.

They had Legacy Brightons longer than they had Impreza Brightons.

juice: above, did you mean that the '04 OBS will still have rear drums, per Subaru?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

The '03s have drums. There might have been a mistake on the web site about discs arriving in 2003, they actually arrive for MY2004.

Just saw a thread that showed Canadian a dealer with an '04 in stock, so they're arriving.

-juice
    to go check one out at the local dealer.

We just took one in, high miles but hey, it's priced right.

I'm seriously considering buying it for myself, but it's an automatic, yuck, and is still outside the range I was looking to pay.

Then, the '89 Loyale is closing in on 180K, time for new belts and another reseal, plus the muffler has a hole in it and the windshield's cracked. I put the car's value a bit less than the cost of an oil change.
    a 4WD turbo, it is still worth something....those were fun.

It is a 4wd stick, hi-lo four at least.
    raybear: yeah, but fill up the gas tank and you'll double its value! :-)

I might show my sister an Outback Sport, she'll be shopping this summer. She mentioned a Legacy sedan.

-juice
    the local dealer over the weekend, breathless with the far-fetched hope that they might have early arrivals of the '04 Impreza - I wanted to drive one. The new OBS looks like a real winner, now that they have removed the bug eyes and given it rear discs. I know, I know, I will have to wait until June!

How come Subaru will not put moonroofs in any of the imprezas? I wouldn't even mind one of those huge sunroofs (metal panel) that those first stateside 2.5 RS's had....

I saw a sun/moonroof on an Impreza in a picture on the Hong Kong or Japanese Subaru site.
    I guess they won't sell them here.
    Also, I think the Impreza in Canada has heated side mirrors?
    Does anyone know if the new Impreza will have side airbags? It's about time. No Subaru even offers curtain airbags yet.... I guess Subaru doesn't play catch up too quickly.
    You will have the option of a small glass moonroof in the '04 Imprezas.

-mike
    is usually behind the curve in bringing equipment for their vehicles to market (like side airbags, cruise, stuff like that). But they get there eventually. The Legacy was one of the last vehicles sold in the U.S. to still have a cassette standard instead of a CD, as recently as last year!

I am very glad they are finally getting to putting a moonroof in the impreza. WRX buyers will be particularly glad, I think...I have seen several mentions of this omission by WRX owners.

The good thing is that once they bring it, generally it becomes standard rather than optional. You have to realize that subaru is one of the smallest car companies out there. Market share is <1% IIRC so they need to take baby steps when introducing content.

Take the SVX for example, in it's day it had more than it's share of gadgets, (even more than some cars today) back in '92, but the sticker was $26.5K!!!! and in '97 it was stickering >$34K.

-mike
    it went away, unfortunately - it was a most unique car.

They should have put bigger tires on it, dropped the leather and given it a manual tranny, and I would have considered one!

It would be cool if a moonroof became standard on WRX, but I kinda doubt they would make it standard on OBS due to its low price.

How big of a tire do you want? It already has the largest tires of any Subaru ever sold.

Stock size was 225-50-16 on 16x7.5" rims.
    Currently mine is wearing 245-45-16 on those 16x7.5" rims :)

They were also available in non-leather trim as well. a 5MT would have probably helped save it a little.

-mike
    I guess...for some reason I remember it having 195s on a 15" rim...it was a cool car though, it was just a couple of years ahead of a time when people would spend that much for a Subaru...

I have always thought of OBS as its karmic "flipside" - it is such a bargain for what you get, in terms of power OR content.

This discussion has been closed.