Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sweeeet! You nailed it. It's perfectly centered. Looks stock.

The OBS does get the 16" rims and a few other things. The TS has added some content so it's closer to the OBS than it was in 2002.

-juice
  • flapperflapper Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone have any info on what changes are in store for the 2005 Outback Sport?
  • knahsknahs Member Posts: 5
    I bought a Subaru Impreza Outback Sport in December after researching for over 6 months. I was originally going to get the TS Impreza Wagon since it was less money but ended up with one dealer with a better price on the Outback Sport than the TS.

However, I will say that for short people (I'm 5'3") it is not designed too well. I got the arm rest but have to sit close to get the clutch pushed in all the way to start it that the arm rest is essentially useless. In addition, the sun visor is about 1" too short too because of having to have the seat so close. Otherwise, the car is fantastic - great power, good gas mileage, and has gotten me through some snowy days in the last 3 months. I would highly recommend it.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I will say that for short people (I'm 5'3") it is not designed too well.

Subaru needs to consider power, adjustable pedals, as I'm sure you're not the only one who has experienced this problem. I know my daughter (5'2") would be another.

Bob
  • damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    Have you tried raising the seat to adjust for the size of the sun visor, or is it already raised to the max?

-Dan-
  • primapixieprimapixie Member Posts: 8
    I'm having a hard time finding a decent used Impreza for what Edmonds says they're worth, anyone else have this problem? One salesguy told me to go buy the car from Edmonds!
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    It's best not to challenge a salesman with the Edmunds price info. I've found in my area (CT) that the cars generally sell for more than Edmunds and less than Kelly's.
    Karen, how appropriate your name is, we jokingly say all female Subaru owners have a "K" in their name.

CT is a high-demand region, so you may find prices higher than in other places. Try e-mailing offers to dealers to see if they'll bite. Or see if you can find a no-haggle dealer that already discounts the car to the final sale price.

Van Bortel is in NY some where, and in MD we have Fitzgerald. That's how they sell new cars, but used too, I believe.

Is there a CarMax near you?

-juice
  • outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    "I'm having a hard time finding a decent used Impreza for what Edmonds says they're worth, anyone else have this problem?"

Yep. Subies are in high demand here (something about a dozen ski resorts within an hour's drive...) lol! Read back through the last page or two of posts, a few weeks back the subject came up.

I'd follow Juice's advice... do you really need to work with a salesman if you can research the car online? It is not in their best interests to give you a good deal. Have you considered private party sellers? That will save you some bucks vs. a dealer.

utahsteve
    Got a decent quote from a dealer way out near the NY border on an Outback Sport...decent that is if you consider Kelly's prices. I'll keep looking, I don't need a car right away and maybe a private seller will come along...but so far they've been less reasonable than the dealers! Maybe after the weather warms up.

I'll try the email approach, thanks!
    Hey, it's the opposite with Miatas, best time to buy is first sign of winter!

-juice
    I got my Miata last summer, but didnt have to pay for it.
  • tuckerdog1tuckerdog1 Member Posts: 37
    With there being a difference in the awd within the impreza line ( manual vs auto trans ), I was wondering if anybody knows how the Subaru(s) systems compare to the Honda.

Thanks,
    Tuckerdog
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Honda = Part Time (100% FWD til a wheel is physically spinning)

Subaru = Full-time AWD (80/20% Split on 4EAT, 45/55 Split on VTDEAT, 50/50 on MTs)

-mike
    paisan got it right.

Basically the Honda doesn't have a center differential so it's a part-time only system meant to be engaged only on slippery surfaces.

The Subaru system is full-time. Even on dry surfaces it can send power to both axles while allowing just enough slip (in the center diffy) to make a U-turn.

-juice
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    The regular Subaru Automatic AWD system (non VTDAWD) lacks a center differential and has hydraulically actuated transfer clutches, which is why it is possible to disconnect its AWD and switch it into FWD. The VTD Automatic AWD (Automatic WRX, Legacy GT Auto, VDC Outback etc) on the other hand has a Planetary gear center differential and the transfer clutches, due to which it is not possible to disconnect AWD in their setups.

Later...AH
    You're right, I'm describing the systems on my two MT Subies.

-juice
    So what difference does it make? I'm looking into Subarus but then Honda has great reliability. Which is better?
    Honda went for fuel efficiency and so ended up with a system that is FWD most of the time. The catch is it feels like FWD, torque steer and all, even with the RT4WD option. Power is sent to the rear axle after you've begun to slip.

Subaru's full time system eliminates torque steer and you end up with more neutral handling. The systems are such that you're less likely to slip in the first place, because the power is distributed before you slip.

I'll take B, no question.

-juice
    There are big differences in the implementation of the Honda AWD systems. If it is like the one in the Acura MDX where it is a proactive system, then I would want it, even though it is 100% FWD while cruising etc. But the system in the CRV, which is reactive is not that impressive.

Later...AH
    Hmm the trannies blow up on the pilots and oddys. So I'm not sure that Hondah is immune to problems.

-mike
    Honda had about a 2% failure rate on many of its trannies and had to extend the warranty on those to protect its reputation.

Toyota had the sludge debacle, and treated its customers poorly, which adds insult to injury. They finally bowed to consumer pressure.

Every brand has its hiccups. Those problems affected Acura and Lexus, BTW.

-juice
    I talked to some friends here and they are split on Subaru vs Honda so I'll make an appointment at each of my local dealers to see for myself.
  • tuckerdog1tuckerdog1 Member Posts: 37
    Primapixie,
    Your dealers may not do it, but ask for an overnight or longer test drive. Most dealers around here are closed Sunday. If it's the same there, maybe you could take the car Saturday & return Monday. When I saw the Subaru I bought ( although it was a used car ), the dealer suggested I take it over the Thanksgiving holiday. It wasn't even my idea. So I had it a good part of Wednesday, all day Thursday & a piece of Friday...Well actually I just bought it & kept it. It's really pretty hard to notice some of the little things that will bother you ( or please you ) about a car in the 2 or 3 mile around the block test drives most dealers give ya. But if you've narrowed the choices down to an Impreza or a CRV, I don't think you could make a 'bad' choice. Both seem to be excellent cars.

And while I have the floor...I have another question about the AWD system on the Subarus.
    ( Sorry if it's becoming an old subject ). Can more power be directed to a specific wheel than is directed to the other three? Or is it always a equal amount to both rear wheels and an equal amount to both front wheels?
    On models with a rear Limited Slip Differential, the rear diff will route more power to the wheel with less spin. For the front, the wheel with the lease spin will get power. On the STi there is an LSD in the front so it will go to the one with less slip as well.

Power on Manual models always tries to achieve 50/50 split F/R on ATs it's 80/20 but can vary up to 50/50 depending on slippage. On VTD equipped models it's 45/55 split F/R up to 80/20.

On VDC models it can route power to a particular wheel by applying the brakes to a slipping wheel and forcing power to the other side of the axle.

-mike
    Short answer is "no" for the Outback Sport and TS, because neither one has a limited-slip device on the front and rear axles.

WRX can on the rear axle. STi can on both.

-juice
    Has anyone used one of those stick-on strips at the top of their windshield to help cut down on sun glare? That piece of plastic over the mirror is pretty useless, so I'm looking for something better. Any ideas? Something non-permanent, as my car is leased.

-Dan-
    To tint that top portion. They'll charge very little and it will be done nicely. My guess is it would run like $25 installed, and you can rip it off at the end of the lease.

-mike
    $25 or so works for me. I'll have to see if this little city has a place that can do it. Thanks, Paisan!

-Dan-
  • lotboylotboy Member Posts: 49
    I was thinking on the tint as well!!!!
    So how's your OBS?I am enjoying my TS Wagon.Great car last winter.I have put on some accessories to spruce it up a bit.
    Just thought I'd say hi.Remember this was the time I was going to buy a new car(spring '04)?In a way I wish I would have because of some changes with the 2005 Impreza.It won't be out for a while still and that would have meant putting a lot of dollars into my former car('94 Probe GT)which was miled out basically.
    Anyhow,have a good work week and Easter weekend down there south of Lake Erie!!!

DD
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    You can often get friction fit ones that are cheap and can easily be removed when you sell the car. I had one from my local bike shop that was smoke colored and said "Bianchi Bicycles" on it. It was abou 4" tall so the top 4" of the windsield were good and dark. All it took was some trimming with an exacto knife to get it to fit at the ends and at the rearview.(I had a Sidekick which had a pretty narrow windshield. It was in my there all the time I owned the Sidekick and never came down.
    TWRX
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    I had a nice dark strip put on the top of my Forester windshield when I bought it. IIRC it cost $20. I don't believe your lease company would have a problem with a small strip of tint like that.

Chuck
    D-

I'm just loving my OBS...just a great car. Putting snows on it certainly helped with the Erie snows. I'm sure you've got something decent on your TS, right? Glad you're enjoying it.

The safety can't be overstated, considering that I came out of the wreck just fine. Solid, dependable and fun to drive. What's not to like?

I'll have to get this tint thing done soon...when I drive home from work the sun is at just the worst angle.

-Dan-
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Winter tires would definitely be a plus anywhere where there's that much snow. I'm not sure how the automatic version handles, but the five-speed car can be quite tail-happy in the corners when it's slippery out. It took me a little while and a $500 front bumper repair to get a handle on that. For next winter I plan to ditch the RE92s and go with a more aggressive all-season tire, BFG Traction T/A or Conti ExtremeContact.
    The RE92's are fine in the spring and summer. I'd say keep them and get dedicated snows for winter. HUGE difference, and I mean HUGE! My AT was also tail happy before the winter tires were put on, and snows keep it on the straight and narrow. Let's face it, we get these cars for bad weather handling...why go with all-seasons with the kinds of weather we get?

-Dan-
    Well, my original plan with the RE92s was to try them in the snow and see what I thought. If they weren't up to the task, considering our relatively easy winters (compared to the other side of the lake!) and my relatively low winter mileage (450-600 miles a month), I'd pop for winter tires. Turned out the RE92s did the job for me, even in our super-snowy January. Once I learned how AWD handled differently than FWD, I was able to drive around without drama, even on unploughed back roads where I was pushing the snow with the front bumper. Because the RE92s won't be new anymore next winter I don't expect the same kind of performance again, so I'll probably get another set of tires with greater ability to handle light winter duty, which is really what my winter driving is.

Plus, if winter tires tame that tail-happy characteristic completely, I think I'd miss it. It's a lot of fun doing that when you've got lots of room to play. The damage to my front bumper actually happened when I was on a deserted street practicing catching the rear end, deliberately using way more throttle and steering than I would in normal driving, and ran out of room and into an ill-placed pile of ice. After that I found a more wide-open area to use.

Side note: saw my first green 2004 OBS today. According to the Impreza brochure all 2004 OBS's are supposed to have Steel Grey Metallic as their lower body colour, but the medium grey on the green OBS was nothing like the darker, goldish-grey on my silver OBS. The colour used on my car as well as on all the other silver 2004s I've seen is closer to the colour used on the OBS in 2002-03, Platinum Grey I think it was called. Weird.
  • lotboylotboy Member Posts: 49
    I will be putting snow tires on as well in December of this year.I bet they make a huge difference.That's something I am interested in.Kripes,my car will be like driving a tractor to work on the bad roads...I love grip now!

DD

PS-I can't believe I am actually looking forward to a bad winter.This past one was a piece of cake here.
    Brent-

If you like a tail-happy car in the snow, far be it from me to steer you otherwise. I prefer lots of grip, but I can see how letting it slide around a bit could be fun. Different strokes for different folks.

I have the same green car that you saw. I like the silvery color for the lower...offsets the deepness of the green well, I think.

-Dan-
    It's not that I want a car that's all over the road, just that I thought the stock setup, when brand new at least, did the job for the kind of driving I have to do. I'd get winter tires in a second if I didn't feel reasonably confident driving the car as-is. Fortunately, at this time of year winter seems a long way off and I can start using my sunroof more often.

I prefer the silvery colour you have on your green car, and I think it would have looked good on my silver OBS. I wonder why they didn't use it.
    We're hoping winter is over here...I just took the snow tires off this weekend. One thing I'm jealous of is your sunroof. We don't get that down here, not even as an option. I almost went with a Forester to get it, but didn't want to spend the extra money. Since I'm leasing, I can't add one aftermarket. Unless I decide to keep the car at the end of the lease, in which case I'll probably add one. Enjoy it this summer!

Yep, I like that silver color too. Not sure why the rest of the car can't get that color.

Does anyone have the tweeter upgrade? If so, is it worth the money?

-Dan-
    Actually, although Subaru does give us more models with a sunroof option up here, the OBS isn't one of them, so I had to go aftermarket. I'm also leasing, but we just cleared it with the leasing company beforehand. They said no problem so I went ahead and got one put in. I didn't foresee a problem anyway since I essentially asked their permission to use my money to install an expensive upgrade that would increase the value of their vehicle.

I have the tweeters in mine. They do make a difference but not a huge one. I've seen other owners say that installing a WRX 6-CD head unit, readily available online from WRX owners who are upgrading, gives good bang for the buck in a regular Impreza.
    There's one on E-bay, and last I checked the high bid was $75, still a steal.

-juice
    I hadn't thought to ask the lease company if it's OK to add a sunroof. I've usually wanted to stay away from aftermarket, as they used to leak more than factory. If one does, that could make lease termination a bit expensive. Of course, maybe aftermarket is better than the last time I looked at it, which must be 10 years now.

Might do the WRX head unit thing. The sound really needs work in this car.

-Dan-
    FWIW I've owned 3 aftermarket moonroofs personally, and none have leaked. At least 4 other friends have also, again none leaked.

We did have the power mechanism on one of them jam (closed, luckily), but that was fixed under warranty no questions asked.

I think they've come a long way. ASC makes ours, they also make OEM moonroofs.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    IIRC, that's the brand I'm getting on my F-XT MT when it arrives sometime this month. Dealer is arranging the installation at a reputable shop nearby. I had a Dodge Stratus with one from that shop and had no issues.

The F-XT will be leased as well (dw's business) - the lease company doesn't have a problem with adding one, as it can increase the value.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's installed by a decent shop (an ASC one would be preferred).

-Brian
    I guess I really have to figure out if I'll keep the car at the end of the lease. If not, it's not worth it (to me) to add the expense of a moonroof. The car was wrecked, and even though the repair was fine, I'm not completely sure I want to keep it long term.

I might just give it back at lease end and get a Forester. I'll have the moonroof with that, and I like the car, perhaps more than the OBS.

If I add on, I'll be sure to look for an ASC one.

-Dan-
    If you ever do decide to put one in your Impreza, let me know and I'll send you some pics of what mine looks like, inside and out. It's a Webasto, the other major name out there in sunroofs, and the sliding glass panel is 32.25" x 18.75".

I like the huge sunroof in the Forester, but the last time I drove a Forester (2001) that had one, I found out that it only slid back and didn't tilt up to vent, I assume due to the size of the panel.
    That's still the case with Foresters, for MY2004.

-juice
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    That is what I had installed in my 2003 WRX sedan. Very nice so far. Auto close when you switch off the key, looks very much like a factory sunroof and no problems so far. About $1100 installed.

TWRX
    How difficult is it to install the WRX 6-CD unit in the 2004 OBS ? TIA.

Later...AH
This discussion has been closed.